Team Mist: SYWTBAI Season 14, Project Six Open Brainstorming

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Project Six: Theater Geeks
Aladdin_on_Broadway.jpg

Based on Jagfkb's Sleeping Beauty Musical from Season Two

Jagfkb's Sleeping Beauty Musical in the final project of season two cemented Jag as a legendary winner and that project and concept as hands down the best entertainment-based project we've ever seen. Now is your chance to top it! This prompt is deceptively simple. Teams simply must design an hour-long musical for any Disney park based off of any Disney animated film...but here's the catch...The animated film you choose CANNOT have been adapted into a Disney theatrical in any form. No Broadway shows, no theme park shows, no Disney Cruise Line shows. That definitely limits your options and forces you to get creative.

@ThatGuyFromFlorida was in possession of the key to Walt's Vault this round but chose not to open the Vault. Had he opened it, he would have been able to hand-pick which animated film the opposing team which would have probably led to hilarious results. With the vault not open, both teams have selection of whatever film they want so long as it fits the guidelines.

Good luck teams. This project is due Thursday, March 16th at 11:59 PM Eastern

And one more thing...Since this last round was non elimination, this current round will be a DOUBLE elimination for the loosing team. You've all lasted through over half the cast. Work hard to make sure you're not one of the ones cut before heading into the merge!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Question for MEW and Tiki, can we use Cinderella despite the existence of Twice Charmed on the cruise and it's inclusion in a lot of anthology-ish shows or is that off limits?

Anthology-ish shows are fine. Not familiar with Twice Charmed but as long as it's not a direct retelling of the movie I'd allow it.

IAmNotAHufflepuff

This is an interesting prompt. I've amassed a few ideas as starting points.

- Moana: Probably one of the obvious choices.

- Anything Pixar that isn't Toy Story: There could be not a lot to work with, as most Pixar films aren't musicals. It is possible though. This would count, right?

- Oliver and Company: The Billy Joel songs could work, but the animal characters could be a stage problem.

- A Goofy Movie: Something about this seems to be intriguing.

mickeyfan5534

This is an interesting prompt. I've amassed a few ideas as starting points.

- Moana: Probably one of the obvious choices.

- Anything Pixar that isn't Toy Story: There could be not a lot to work with, as most Pixar films aren't musicals. It is possible though. This would count, right?

- Oliver and Company: The Billy Joel songs could work, but the animal characters could be a stage problem.

- A Goofy Movie: Something about this seems to be intriguing.
Moana: Yes
Anything Pixar: Something like Brave or Coco that centers around humans could be interesting.
Oliver and Company: Meh movie and my utter hatred for Oliver Twist would make it a tough project.
A Goofy Movie: Maybe?

Other ideas
Cinderella: cut out the mice and you have the perfect amount of story for about 45 minutes that can get 15 more minutes of good meaty character development for the royals and the stepsisters.
Fantasia/Fantasia 2000: Imagine the effects and puppets we could do with this! A real showcase for the best performers Disney can get.
Dumbo and Bambi: Combining these two because they both appeal for the same reason, interesting puppets and gorgeous scenery that would translate well to the stage
Sleeping Beauty: This one might be off limits but would translate to the stage overwhelmingly beautifully
Atlantis and Treasure Planet: Combining for the same reason, underrated gems that would end up extremely interesting on stage.
The Princess and the Frog: The most obvious out of the modern films. Lots of potential for cool puppets, solid music, and a good team of heroes against a very threatening and cool villain. Might be off limits because of the Showboat Jubilee though.

EDIT: My personal preference is Cinderella. There's so much we can do there and you can go all out with some storybook sets and amazing costumes coupled with a witty script and a few good, solid jokes. And again, there's potential for adaptation expansion and giving the prince and stepsisters some nice character development and maybe a song or two.

Last edited:

TrevorA

In the Parks
Yes
Hello new team!

Well team, I've got about a million ideas running through my head now. Far more good movies haven't been done than have.

Yeah you're absolutely right. We've got a good chance of making an instant classic here.

Here are my favorites of the ideas that have been said so far:

- Moana
- Goofy Movie
- Fantasia (inspired!)

I also like Treasure Planet a lot. Honestly, one of the absolute best shows in WDW or DLR is the Finding Neno musical at Animal Kingdom, so I don't want to limit our brainstorming to movies that don't already have songs. However, we only have a week to do this project, so we have to plan around that I guess.

New ideas from me:
- The Three Caballeros (or Melody Time, or Make Mine Music, all of the post-Fantasias)
- Alice in Wonderland
- The Parent Trap
- Many Advebtures of Winnie the Pooh
- The Muppet Movie (really any of the Muppet movies)
- Nightmare Before Christmas/James and the Giant Peach
- for a very unique choice... Tron
- Has anyplace ever done Peter Pan?

---TrevorA

Last edited:

mickeyfan5534

Hello new team!

Yeah you're absolutely right. We've got a good chance of making an instant classic here.

Here are my favorites of the ideas that have been said so far:

- Moana
- Goofy Movie
- Fantasia (inspired!)

I also like Treasure Planet a lot. Honestly, one of the absolute best shows in WDW or DLR is the Finding Neno musical at Animal Kingdom, so I don't want to limit iur brainstorming to movies that don't already have songs. However, we only have a week to do this project, so we have to plan around that I guess.

New ideas from me:
- The Three Caballeros (or Melody Time, or Make Mine Music, all of the post-Fantasias)
- The Parent Trap
- Many Advebtures of Winnie the Pooh
- The Muppet Movie (really any of the Muppet movies)
- Nightmare Before Christmas/James and the Giant Peach
- for a very unique choice... Tron
- Has anyplace ever done Peter Pan?

---TrevorA
Keep in mind, it does have to be an animated film. Also, unfortunately, Pooh had a very long running show in Paris. I think it ran almost 10 years in different locations. Peter Pan might work well, but then how do we separate it from the classic Broadway version?

Magic Feather

My thoughts are that, while sticking with a well known modern musical film would be easy, it would be great and allow us to stretch our wings creatively if we took a non-musical and turned it into a musical ala Nemo. If not, my vote would be PatF, but I really think we have potential. Maybe Dumbo or UP as was brought up before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom