Team ImageWorks - Frontierland

Illumination

Original Poster
Two Trails General Store

The Two Trails General Store is located near the exit of Westward Ho! and is built to match the western wooden stores look of Frontierland. The General Store, as it is known, is a large store, open to the public via three sets of swinging saloon doors, like the kind seen in movies. Each set is about four feet wide, and they are spaced evenly across the front of the store.

The General Store has two distinct sections within, separated by a large circular checkout counter in the middle. To the left is the general merchandise section, which specialized in disney clothing, and typical disney merchandise. Keychains, books, CDs, clothes, toys and pins can all be found in this section.

The other section of the store, to the right of the circular counter, is the general store, and it specializes in western clothing, cowboy hats, toy guns and bows and arrows, skin hats, native american crafts, woven blankets, and a section of glass jars filled with candy priced very low, such as a candy cane stick for 25 cents.

Country Bear Jamboree

This attraction comes straight from the MK, and runs exactly the same. The theater is built the same, though the ceiling is slightly higher and doesn’t run so low in the back. The seats are long rows made of wood with backrests, and the stage is the same as in the MK.

The waiting area is larger, and features more seating options. One one wall is a stuffed bear head that comes “alive” before show time and calls out randomly to those waiting. It isn’t an LCI character, it’s simply running through some preprogramed phrases that comment on generalities, such as clothing, bears being hungry for children, etc. It also announces “X minutes to showtime”, starting 20 minutes out. It updates the audience every five minutes.

Meet & Greet Spot #1

The Location
Just outside of the DHRS (new name here) is a small alcove area that is heavily western themed, including a background showing red rocks and a blazing sun over miles of sandy desert dotted with cactus and sagebrush. In front of this background is a short stage about 3 inches high made of wood. In front of it is a queue made of rope.

The Characters
Children have the opportunity to meet the characters from Woody’s Round Up here.

Sheriff Woody
Jessie
Bullseye
Stinky Pete

Meet & Greet Spot #2
Bringing tall tales to life!

The Location
Over by the mountains of the Western River Expedition lies a small counter service restaurant called the Tall Tales Saloon. Between WRE and the Saloon is an area where there are soaring pine trees and rolling hills (on a heavy wooden background) as well as some railroad equipment and boxes. A small stage sits 3 inches high. There is no queue, only a large open space in front.

The Characters

Paul Bunyan
Davy Crockett
Pecos Bill
John Henry

Story Time

This M&G works a little differently than the other one. Legends are scheduled to appear at specific times, when children can gather round to hear them recite their legend. The character tells their legend, and is then available to meet the children and adults who’d like to say hello.

Illumination

Original Poster
Ok, I still need to do TSI, but I got the rest done. Tall Tales Saloon looks great! I'm still reading through the description of Klondike, but so far it's really awesome.

We're getting really close to finishing this, which is good, because the next assignment is already out. Keep it coming everyone!

JohnLocke

Ok, I still need to do TSI, but I got the rest done. Tall Tales Saloon looks great! I'm still reading through the description of Klondike, but so far it's really awesome.

We're getting really close to finishing this, which is good, because the next assignment is already out. Keep it coming everyone!

What all do we still have to do for this one?

Spike-in-Berlin

OK here is the shop, the two rides are nearly complete, I hope to post them in the afternoon (ET).

Souvenirshop “Lucky Duck Mine”

The Lucky Duck Mine is a souvenir shop that sells both attraction based merchandise of both Klondike Square attractions, Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck and Avalanche Peak Mining Railroad, and general Klondike Square Merchandise but also a variety of the major park souvenirs. It can be accessed from the front entrance which is looking southeast over Klondike Square but there is also a direct connection to the unload area of Life and Times. Guests coming from Life and Times enter through a passageway that looks like the entrance to a mine, guests coming from Klondike Square enter through a normal door in the facade of one of the buildings of Klondike Square West looking like a store for mining equipment, but the entire interior continues the mine theme from the backdoor entrance.
The shop looks like a room excavated from solid rock but in a cartoon like style (similar to Mickeys and Minnies house and the Seven Dwarves Mine in MK), with beautifully detailed mining lamps hanging from the ceiling and fixed along the walls, which emit a flackering, artificial candle-light like but electric light. The shelves with the products are lined up against walls which are decorated with fake wooden pillars which seem to carry suspended wooden beams that seem to carry the weight of the massive rock ceiling. On one side of the room we see no shelves but a huge (fake) cartoon style machinery running, that is used for the cleaning of the excavated rock and to extract the gold ore. The machine is a miniature based on the device used by Donald Duck in the animated short classic “Donald’s Gold Mine”. To the right of the machinery opens an adit, that seems to run around a corner, on the wall of the adit we see the moving shadow of Donald with a miners pick and off screen we hear Donald singing (oh my darling clementine), talking and occasionally cursing in the original voice of Clarence Nash.
All CMs in the shop are dressed in the same style like the CMs in the LaToSMcD.
Items for sale in the Lucky Duck Mine are including clothing, attraction and land based T-shirts, polos etc., mugs, soft toys like Scrooge McDuck, Magica De Spell and other characters from the ride, a replica of Scrooges Number One Dime, Carl Bark's and Don Rosa's comics of Scrooge McDuck but also Klondike Square gear etc. etc.

Illumination

Original Poster
What all do we still have to do for this one?

We need the Re-imagined Diamond Horseshoe Saloon Revue. However, we could just submit it as "We're going to do a stage show themed around Woody's Round Up with Stinky Pete as a jewel thief. It will be funny and will include signing." Then we can flesh it out when we return to Frontierland.

I think that's everything we need. I'll get TSI posted tonight. If you guys don't mind the short version of DHSR then we would have everything ready and I could turn it in late tonight.

JohnLocke

We need the Re-imagined Diamond Horseshoe Saloon Revue. However, we could just submit it as "We're going to do a stage show themed around Woody's Round Up with Stinky Pete as a jewel thief. It will be funny and will include signing." Then we can flesh it out when we return to Frontierland.

I think that's everything we need. I'll get TSI posted tonight. If you guys don't mind the short version of DHSR then we would have everything ready and I could turn it in late tonight.

I think the short version should work out fine, because that's pretty much the only change, and I have never done DHSR to actually have a better idea of everything inside it.

Illumination

Original Poster
The Island

Geography
The Island is shaped the same as the current TSI. There is a long brudge connecting Island 1 to Island 2.

Island 1
This Island has the ruins of the old western town. The ghost town features shops and buildings that can be explored. Discarded boxes, rope and other equipment are strewn around so as to create a unique playground for the kids. Old posters for outlaws still cling to the walls, and there are subtle connections with each attraction seen throughout the themeing.

Island 1 also includes the Outlaws Hideout, which is a winding pathway through pine trees to an abandoned shack. The house is boarded up, but sound effects can be heard randomly of muffled voices and snoring. Is that a glimpse of gold and money through the holes in the wall?

Island 2
This island features the mines. There are two of them, one small and full of twists and turns, much like the escape route from the fort in MK's TSI. The other mine is much larger and there are remnants of gems and gold to be found sparkling in the walls. In between the entrance to the two mines is a large play gravel pit, where western explorers can dig up huge gold nuggets and sparkling gems. This is based off of the gravel pit in Dinoland USA. Also on this side is the logger's camp, where fallen trees form a teeter totter, a fort, and a balance beam. Older adventurers can climb the lookout tower on the island's far side and look out over the water through telescopes mounted to the walls. They may catch a glimpse of the boats of WRE moving past a vibrant western town.

Spike-in-Berlin

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

The Life and Times of Scrooge is a dark ride that shows us scenes from the life of the richest man/duck in the word, the Fantastillionaire Scrooge McDuck. Scenes from his early years in the Klondike to the modern DuckTales-age.

Ride Vehicle

Guests ride in omnimovers that resemble a miniaturized version of the airplane of Launchpad McQuack. One plane can load up to 8 guests each, sitting in two rows of four.

Ride Building & Queue

The ride entrance is located in Klondike Square West, a row of building facades that enclose Klondike Square on its western half, beginning with the Klondike Square Raildroad Station as the southernmost building, overshadowed by the backside of the mountains of the WRE. The next building is the entrance building to the ride, with a facade typical for Klondike Square, inspired by the architecture of Dawson, Anchorage and other towns in Alaska and Yukon in the late 19th century.

After the guests entered the ride building they are lining up in the queing area which is looking like a Scrooge McDuck Hall of Fame. We see dozens of paintings, “fotos”, sketches etc. Showing scenes out of Scrooges life, we also see a small screen where Scrooge cartoons are shown in a loop to entertain the guests while they wait access the Pre-Show-area.

Pre-Show

After they walked through the outer queing area the guests enter one of two Pre-Showrooms, where they are watching a cartoon short about Scrooge McDuck in a Citizen Kane Style that introduces us into the present life of Scrooge McDuck, the richest man in the world. The showrooms are designed like cinemas of the nickelodeon era of movies, with interiors from the early 20th century. There are no seats, all guests are placed and standing along handrails, then the short cartoon begins:

First Szene: We see the famous Money Bin in Duckburg in BW in exactly the same perspective we see Xanadu at the beginning of Citizen Kane.

First a sign. “No trespassing” then the camera moves from this sign to the next “That means YOU!” , followed by even more signs that read “Danger! Mines!”, “Watch Dogs” etc.
The camera pans up a barb wired fence and in the background of the gates we see the money bin in Duckburg. We see that in the nearly windowless facade one window high up is lighted up. The camera pans on the window. Cut.
We see the lighted up window in a closeup and the lights go off. Cut
We see a bedroom, with a huge bed and suddenly it seems as if its snowing IN the room.
Blending over to a snow globe, featuring a small town in the mountains. The camera zooms back and we see its in the hand of Scrooge McDuck Cut.
We see an extreme closeup of the beak of Scrooge, saying one word. “Klondike”
Again we see the hand but suddenly the hand loses the grip and the snow globe falls down, bounces over several stairs and smashes.
In the reflection of the broken glass we see a door, opened by Scrooge’s butler who walks in and takes the hands of Scrooge, wanting to fold them over the breast when suddenly Scrooge awakes and shouts “I am not dead!” Cut.

A Narrator begins with telling us the life story of Scrooge, his lines supported by scenes in the movie: No he is not dead! Scrooge McDuck, the richest man in the world celebrated his 90th birthday in full mental and corporal health. Born in Scotland he came to America to make a fortune and boy he did! After numerous tries he struck gold in the great Klondike gold rush. (scenes show a young Scrooge arriving in America etc.) With his first owned million he began his shooting star like career that brought him from success to success, building up an industrial empire unseen before. Beginning with his gold from the Klondike he went around the world, founding Oil wells and diamond mines, building factories manufacturing anything vom cars to refrigerators, his airlines, shipping lines and railroad companies span America and the entire globe, hotels, newspapers and farming, not one business Scrooge didn’t endeavour and that didn’t become a success. (we see the mentioned companies in different locations and the a globe where first a few and then more and more companies shoot up like mushrooms.) His enterprises finally made him the richest man in the world (Headline of a newspaper: “Duckburg resident richest man in the world!”).
But who is this famous man really, that lives in his giant money bin in Duckburg, Callisota? (We see the money bin from the base of the mound it is built on.)
What does his family think about him? What was his life like...so far?

After the pre-show-cartoon ends, doors on the other side of the pre-show-theater open and the guests are entering the loading area. The loading area looks completely different than the rooms before, in a rustic and worn-out design that fits again to the theming of Klondike Square. The guests are boarding the suspended ride vehicles from a moving ramp to ensure a more safe and smooth boarding procedure.
After the guests have been seated, safety bars are lowered automatically.

The Ride

First scene: Leaving Dawson

We see an scene set in a cartoonish style, like cutout cardboard, which supports the cartoon character of the scene. Scrooge is leaving Dawson (in a kind of more two than 3-dimensonal AA) and after a turn around a first corner in the same scene we see a field of countless claims und their golddiggers, forced perspective lets the field look larger than it actually is. Several gold diggers are threatening another AA of Scrooge to move on and away (actually they sound even a little more threatening, some even pull their guns) as every single claim in this area is already occupied.

Second scene: White Agony Creek

The scene is set in the White Agony Creek, Klondike, a remote and snowcovered valley high in the Rocky Mountains that is shown in a realistic design, less cartoonish than the first scene. As the guests enter the scenes large room, they first see the valley and in the valley a small entrance to a mine. We hear the howl of wolves and see some wolve AAs in the distance that are looking like they are approaching the entrance of the mine but a brave husky, belonging to Scrooge protects the entrance of the mine. The omnimovers enter the mine entrance and go through a narrow tunnel finally ending in a section where we see a more realistic AA of Scrooge (threedimensional and not looking like cutout cardboard anymore to symbolize that we finally are immersed by the story and not only reading it) using a miners pickaxe to mine ore. A turn of the omnimover to the other shows us another AA in the same setting but this time we see Scrooge holding an ostrich-egg large golden nugget in his hands. A little details, his eyes are continously switching between normal eyes and $-signs while he keeps shouting with a triumphant and greedy voice “Gold! Gold! I finally did it. I’m rich, I will become the richtest man in the world.“ The ride continues to the next scene.

Third scene: Back to Dawson

We see a street scene in Dawson, Scrooge is returning from his claim, a sack full of gold nuggets on his back. He is looking exhausted, rugged, dirty but tough. This scene is taken from the famous Carl Barks story “Only a poor old man”. In the background we see many golddiggers looking out of a saloon and a female saloon singer that looks towards Scrooge, but he ignores her.

Fourth Scene: The richest man in the world.

The ride enters a room that is filled with a lot of different motives from all over the world, showing us scenes where Scrooge builds up his empire, mining copper in Arizona, drilling for oil in Texas, etc. etc. At the end of the scene we see a screen with newspaper headlines showing Scrooges success in form of headlines, the last in one loop being:

”Duckburg citizen Scrooge McDuck now richest man in the world!”

Fith scene: Meeting the nephews

At the beginning of the room with this scene we see Scrooge with his nephew and heir Donald Duck and his three grand nephews Huey, Dewey and Louie in Scrooges bank palace in Duckburg (not the money bin). In this scene the family of Scrooge is introduced and we follow the five to their first common adventure in Scotland:
We see the ducks approaching the old ancestral McDuck castle, in a foggy bog, fog created by fog machines creates an eerie and gothic atmosphere for the next scene in this room which was taken from the classic Barks story “The old castles secret”
In the next scene the omnimovers turn to the other side and we see a scene from this story, the five ducks are watching the shadow of a skeleton, projected on the wall by the moonlight. The ghost is in fact only fake and in the next and last scene of this room we see Scrooge with a treasure chest full of gold and jewels, surrounded by his nephews and in the background we see the villain, who played the ghost, bound with ropes.

Sixth scene: Surrounded by enemies

For the first time during the ride we hear the narrator of the preshow cartoon again.

“But Scrooge didn’t only have to increase his wealth but also defend it againts numerous enemies"

To this narration the guests are approaching a huge scene, Scrooge surrounded by his foes: Flintheart Glomgold, Magica de Spell and the beagle boys, he is trying to fight them all of, holding his number one dime under its glas dome, trying to protect it from Magica De Spell who carries her raven on her shoulder.

Seventh scene: Family Life

In opposite to the last scene, this one shows a more idyllic side of the life of Scrooge. We see him surrounded by his family on the farm of Grandma Duck.
AAs visible in this scene where his birthday is celebrated by his family include Grandma Duck, Gus Goose, Donald, Huey, Dewey and Louie, Daisy Duck, Gladstone Gander, Gyro Gearloose, Ludwig von Drake etc. The numerous details in this scene are too much to be explained in short.

Eighth scene: In the bin

The guests finally see the money bin, forced perspective shows it at the top of the mound in duckburg, first from far away but then the movers go around a corner in the largest room of the entire ride:
Finally the guests are inside the money bin, surrounded by mountains of gold! Easily 30 foot high, they are carrying signs that display their supposed size (more than 150 feet!), tons of gold are all around the track of the ride. After the ride continues through the bin around another gold mountain we finally see a very sophisticated AA of scrooge that is doing a famous bath in the gold.
We hear scrooge as he say his famous quote: “I love to jump in it like a dolphin, dig tunnels like a mole and let it fall on my head like a shower”. From the platform near the ceiling of the bin we see Donald and the nephews watching the entire scene with an amused but warmhearted expression on their faces.

Ninth Scene:

In this small scene we see Scrooge on a split screen on one side and Launchpad McQuack on the other with Scrooge ordering Launchpad to get his plane prepared for takeoff into the next adventure somewhere in the world.
Finally we see the plane of Launchpad filled with Scrooge and his nephews flying over a conveyor belt like landscape that shows miniatuarized scenes on land and sea. The entire scene is surrounded by a fadeout style frame.

Unloading area:

The unloading area is designed in the same slim, metallic style the interiors of the money bin looked like, steel walls with dollar symbols etc.

After leaving the unloading area the guests walk trough a small exhibition area that honors Carl Barks, the inventor of Scrooge McDuck, named “The Life and Times of Carl Barks”. From this small exhibition room two exits lead outside, one leads directly back to Klondike Square, the other ends in the Lucky Duck Mine souvernir shop.

Spike-in-Berlin

Avalanche Peak Mining Train

Avalanche Peak is a tube style rollercoaster through a alaskan/yukon landscape, which runs mostly inside the ride building, all outdoor sections of the track are located on those sides of the ride building (Avalanche Peak) where the guests only see Klondike Square or other views of the mountain. Any optical intrusions, like large buildings from the park in the background that are high enough to still be seen (e.g. Cinderellas castle) are located behind objetcs that eliminate them from the view (Trees etc.)

Ride Vehicle

Guests ride in a mining train similar to the one used in BTMR, painted in steelgrey and dark blue colors. Every train has one small locomotive at the end not at the front, not only to guarantee free sight straight ahead, but because this configuration was actually quite common on mining trains. It features a maximum of 8 wagons, each one with a capacity of 8 guests, seated in rows of two.

Background Story

Avalanche Peak is a fictitious mountain in the Alaskan Rocky Mountains, where in the late 19th century a gold mine was excavated to exploit a very rich gold ore deposit. As the mountain lies in indian territory however, the rightful indian owners were driven from their land by the whites and the indian cursed the mountain, summoning the infamous Wendigo, an evil spirit from indian lore. To make things worse, the owners of the mine got into a fight with one partner, the prospector, who claims the majority of the gold for him because he detected the deposit, finally murdering the other, the miner, who claimed the majority because he actually did the work. But with the miner gone, the prospector, who is good at prospecting but lousy as a miner, was doomed too because the deposit was already depleted. Fearing, that his crime would be discovered, the prospector stayed in the wilderness, refusing to go back to civilization even when his supplies ran out. Finally, trying to get some food by hunting he was attacked by the summoned Wendigo, killed and eaten. Now two ghosts, a good one, the miner and an evil one, the prospector, haunt Avalanche Peaks gold mine. The good one tries to show the guests where the new gold deposit is located, the evil one tries to kill them. Our guests will encounter both ghosts and the Wendigo during the ride.

Illumination

Original Poster
btw what's next? I mean after FL is finished?

Everything looks really good so far. Once everything is posted here we can organize it and post it as an official submission.

Also, next we are supposed to revisit Main Street USA and Fantasyland. We're to tweak them and get them ready for a final submission, and I think there's a part 2 to Fantasyland that will incorporate 2 additional secret project things. So, yeah, a lot of work.

By the way, do we have Main Street and Fantasylands that you all might have done before I was added to the team? Or maybe from a team you were on that went inactive? Because the next step would be much easier if we weren't starting from scratch.

Spike-in-Berlin

Everything looks really good so far. Once everything is posted here we can organize it and post it as an official submission.

Also, next we are supposed to revisit Main Street USA and Fantasyland. We're to tweak them and get them ready for a final submission, and I think there's a part 2 to Fantasyland that will incorporate 2 additional secret project things. So, yeah, a lot of work.

By the way, do we have Main Street and Fantasylands that you all might have done before I was added to the team? Or maybe from a team you were on that went inactive? Because the next step would be much easier if we weren't starting from scratch.

I am sorry but I was not included in the contest when Main Street USA and Fantasyland were issued, I didn't get in before Tomorrowland. Perhaps one of the others was involved? What do we have to design for both? I would start immediately, tomorrow I kind of take a day off and although the heat is returning for 3 days (last 3 days were a welcomed cool down), I would do some major projects in both lands.

And how many of our team are actually remaining to continue the work?

APMR will be completed this evening.

JohnLocke

We had a pretty good Fantasyland idea, at least I think it was pretty good. It could do with a few changes and some fleshing out, but it's a good start.

Here's our Fantasyland thread:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=593723

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom