Team ImageWorks - Frontierland

Illumination

Original Poster
Although I like the idea, we could offer tweo different choices for the ride, blue and grey and just like in Duelling Dragons you have two different tracks and rides, but do you really think that a rollercoaster ride would be the adequate ride technology for this theming? Wouldn't be something just a little more tame be more appropriate e.g. omnimover etc.

As far as I can tell, shop description can be pretty basic. Tell what the building is like, inside and out, how it fits with the themeing around it. Then a short list of what you would sell. Maybe a few items specific to the area/ride (like the skin hats and plastic rifles of MK's Frontierland) and then some basic items (T-shirts, long sleeve shirts, sandals, cameras, small toys, etc.).

Also, what about incorporating Scrooge into TSI? I could see him as the owner of the island, with the ghost town area including his counting house, piled high with stacks of coins and gold. I don't think he'd be a good fit for BTMRR. Plus we shouldn't try to incorporate characters into everything. BTMRR is a standard Frontierland attraction, and I'm afraid tossing in a token character would detract from that.

As for Appomattox, I'm not sure about the dueling coasters. Again, it might be considered insensitive, people might find they have to ride on a side they don't agree with. Some people are still fairly sensitive to that whole deal. I figured a coaster would be a good basic ride. Nothing too fancy, since it's only a subland between Fantasy and Frontier. As for the other issue, I thought about that, but it has to be an E ticket. To me that means something thrilling, or something highly elaborately themed. I figured a coaster would immerse people in the 'war' more so than just a ride-through type ride.

Spike-in-Berlin

I have another idea for the sub-land, instead of only giving BTMR a new background story we completely reimage it as the centerpiece and major attraction of our subland, Yukon Bay. BTMR is now a mine ride not through a desert environment but through the Yukon river territory during the Alaskan goldrush where Scrooge made his first million. The design of yukon bay is that of a typical but of course idealized Alaskan harbour town near the turn of the century with a table service restaurant that offers mostly seafood. And behind the town we see the peaks of our subland E-Ticket, the reimaged BTMR which is now something more between EE and BTMR than just only another BTMR.
How do you find this idea? There are much less problems concerning historic backgrounds and child adequate entertainment than in a civil-war themed subland and its a complete new idea, not only recycling former WDI ideas. Because most of Frontierland has a western theming and architecture and the subland has a Alaskan, more polar theming, the transition between FL and Yukon Bay would have to be delivered in a way that makes it impossible to see the rest of FL from Yukon Bay and vice versa.

If you like the idea I would design the entire subland including the E-Ticket, the TS-Restaurant and the shop.

Illumination

Original Poster
I have another idea for the sub-land, instead of only giving BTMR a new background story we completely reimage it as the centerpiece and major attraction of our subland, Yukon Bay. BTMR is now a mine ride not through a desert environment but through the Yukon river territory during the Alaskan goldrush where Scrooge made his first million. The design of yukon bay is that of a typical but of course idealized Alaskan harbour town near the turn of the century with a table service restaurant that offers mostly seafood. And behind the town we see the peaks of our subland E-Ticket, the reimaged BTMR which is now something more between EE and BTMR than just only another BTMR.
How do you find this idea? There are much less problems concerning historic backgrounds and child adequate entertainment than in a civil-war themed subland and its a complete new idea, not only recycling former WDI ideas. Because most of Frontierland has a western theming and architecture and the subland has a Alaskan, more polar theming, the transition between FL and Yukon Bay would have to be delivered in a way that makes it impossible to see the rest of FL from Yukon Bay and vice versa.

If you like the idea I would design the entire subland including the E-Ticket, the TS-Restaurant and the shop.

I like this idea alot. Would we completely get rid of BTMRR in Frontierland in favor of the gold rush ride in the Yukon? That might be a good idea since we already have so many rides going into Frontierland. Afterall, we have 2 E tickets already in frontierland with WRE and Westward Ho!.

TSI will offer a good mixed middle ground for these two lands, as it can be themed after the Californian gold rush. In fact I really like your idea here.

No one else from our team has posted lately (I'm sure they're busy) so I say go ahead and do the stuff for Yukon. I'll get to work on some of the other Frontierland stuff. How soon can you get it done?

Illumination

Original Poster
Passing from the frigid reaches of the far north, you find yourself now in what is known as the West. The West is well known for it’s wild spirit, it’s colorful history, and it’s abundant resources. All around you are old fashioned western store fronts, stretching ahead as a welcome oasis for those just arriving off the dusty trails. In the distance is a tall mountain of orange/yellow stone, banded with some layers of white and red. It stretches very tall, and houses one of the more popular Frontierland attractions; Western River Expedition.

Western River Expedition

Western River Expedition is a boat ride through the history of Western Expansion. Guests ride in log shaped boats along a river, experiencing some exciting drops and dips as they go. Riders be warned: You will get wet!

Ride Vehicle

The ride vehicle is identical to the current boats used in Splash Mountain. Each is log shaped, and on the front of each one, in place of the brer rabbit “carving” that exists now, is a “carving” of an indian or a cowboy. Each log fits eight guests, and features a traditional front bar for guests to hold on to, should they wish.

Ride Building & Queue

The ride is housed in a tall mountain which is shaped like MK’s Thunder Mountain, though the ride’s “river” is done much like Splash Mountain. The majority of the ride is indoors, and goes through a series of rooms, though there are some outdoor scenes, as well as a long finale drop that covers the face of the mountain and acts as a focal point. The track looks like a large waterfall which falls from the mountain’s peak to it’s base, winding around the base. The opening, where the ride makes it’s final drop, is decorated along the edges with fake plants, including one large tree. The legend around town (and happily repeated by any Frontierland CM who is asked) is that there is a spring of water at the mountain’s peak that never stops flowing, and that this rich source of water is the reason for the western town’s ability to thrive. However those who are greed and try to claim the precious water source for themselves may find that their luck turns for the worse. Don’t believe in such superstitious nonsense? Well, you best go speak with the unhappy haunts of Ghost Mill Island, whose gold remains unclaimed and whose town now lies abandoned.

The ride’s queue begins under the usual sign posts stating the ride’s name and fastpass return time. (Western River Expedition is a fastpass ride). It mirror’s the line for Thunder Mountain exactly, although the themeing is slightly different, and includes many items and posters pertaining to famous western places as well as rafting gear and warning about dangerous outlaws.

The queue winds it’s way downstairs, where the boat logs await passengers. There are two loading areas and two unloading areas, set up one each on either side of the queue. Boats are released one at a time after a quick safety check. They begin by climbing a waterfall, heading for the first scene.

The Ride

Scene 1 - Initial ascent and introduction to the ride

Guests glide out of the loading area and follow the river around a corner, floating past the scene of a couple of men, whose names are Mark and Davis, are standing on a dirt road, carpetbags at their feet. A street and city background makes it clear they are standing in a midwestern town, looking out west. Guests are slowly going past this scene, and they focus on the two AA men, who are gesturing at them. The tallest one points out beyond the boat.

“Mark, that’s where the future lies! Out west!”

The shorter of the AAs nods slowly, his hands hooked around a worn jacket, as he turns to face Davis.

“I know it, Davis. Come on, we have a wagon to get to. It’s a long journey, you know.”

“Yes siree, but imagine the fortunes awaiting us! And it’s ours if we just reach out and grab it!”

The tall one nods as he speaks and his hand goes from pointing to making a closed fist at his last words. The lights on the scene dim, and guests begin to move up a long waterfall, heading for the next scene.

Scene 2 - The Western wilderness & wild animals

Guests glide off the conveyor and find themselves in a new room. The river track snakes through this room in an “s” shape. All around the guests, there are animals and trees visible. On the first staged area, we see Mark standing on a rock, shading his eyes. Deer are grazing, and a pronghorn antelope drinks from a pool. The AA is grinning and his free hand holds a rifle.

“Look, more food than a man can eat! Can you believe this Davis? And all this open land to claim!”

The second staged area, on the opposite side of the “S”, shows four mighty buffalo grazing in the tall grass of the prairie. A baby buffalo is with them. Davis can be seen behind a tree, and in front of several downed logs, which stretch away behind him and up over the waterway. Davis is peeking out from behind the tree at the buffalo, also with a rifle in hand.

“Shoot! Look at them all! There must be hundreds! Mark, quick, come ‘ere! I bet we can sell the hides for a dollar apiece! We’ll be rich men!”

Guests glide past these scenes and find themselves moving under the fallen logs and trees. A cougar perches on top with fangs bared. It is heard growling as guests disappear beneath it and experience their first small drop, which is one which rockets them down, then up and over a hill.

Scene 3 - Groundbreaking

Guests now see Mark and Davis again, both sporting much richer clothing and with two fine horses in the background. They are studying a map together.

Mark: “We’ll put the town here, next to the river.”
Davis: “You reckon the natives will put up a fight?”
Mark: “Yeah, but we’ll be ready. That spring of water is the key to becoming the richest men in the West!”
Davis: “I reckon you’re right. Water is more precious than gold around these parts.”

Guests now emerge into the light outside, and find they are circling the base of the mountain. They move past the drop, which goes underneath them, much like in Splash Mountain today. They move over to another incline which they ascend, moving under beautiful sandstone arches and past spires of yellow rock. They emerge with a small splash at the mountain’s upper level. Turning a corner, they encounter the next scene.

Scene 4 - The Town & It’s People

Guests see a replica western town laid out along their route now. Various animated figures of people can be seen, including two women doing their shopping, the sheriff snoring on a chair on the porch of the sheriff’s office, a sneaky bandit peeking out at the sheriff from inside a barrel, and other figures, including Mark and Davis, hidden within the scene. The shops appear quite lively, and guests continue to look at them and at the cacti and other desert plants on both side of the boat. They continue to circle the top of the mountain and happen upon the town’s saloon. A cowboy figure is perched upon his horse on the roof of the saloon. Several townspeople have gathered below, and are shouting at the man to get down.They include the bartender, who is waving a glass and reminds the cowboy of his tab, a couple of showgirls, off to the side in fancy dresses and laughing, and several patrons of the establishment. The man on the horse is holding a bottle in one hand, and a rifle in the other. With a laugh he shoots the rifle and a barrel on the opposite side of the waterway begins to shoot out a stream of water. It arcs over the guests heads to splash into another barrel on the cowboy’s side. Guests then pass a sign for “Dry Ditch Gulch” before plummeting down a medium sized drop.

Scene 5 - The Fight

The guests now head back indoors, where they find a lively shoot-out in progress. On one side of the boat are the towns people, hiding behind barrels and doors, rifles held ready, though no shots are being fired. The town building are peppered with arrows.

The other side of the waterway shows several native americans painted for war and armed with bows and arrows. They are hiding behind trees and rocks, and watching the settlers angrily. There is evidence of gunshots in some of the rocks and trees.

Cries back and forth indicate that the battle is a draw at the moment, and that the indians are mad that their water source is being claimed from them. Several barrels leak water over the guests, and the AAs move randomly to peek out or raise and lower their weapons.

At the very end of the scene, we see Mark and Davis hiding, one behind a tree, and another in a barrel. Two arrows protrude from the tree.

Mark: “Davis, come on, while everyone is busy. We’ll claim the source of the water while everyone is distracted. Then we’ll own the whole river.”
Davis: “Right you are, Mark, let’s get out of here.”

Guests then begin to make the climb up towards the big drop.

Scene 6 - The climb and drop

Guests begin to slowly climb to the finale drop. They pass one scene in an alcove, which shows the two men climbing the mountain, encouraging each other to hurry up, or to watch out for falling rocks.

Guests reach the top to see the indian chief standing there, very angry. He’s wearing elaborate costume, and behind him we see several green trees and plants surrounding a bubbling spring, the source of all of the water in the area. He points angrily at the people in the log boat.

“Be gone from here. You cannot claim this water, it belongs to everyone: plant, animal, and man. Your greed will surely catch you unless you change your ways. Beware! There is a curse here for those who would be too greedy…”

Guests now plummet down the long finale drop, splashing down at the end and whooshing around the bottom of the mountain. Cacti and other desert plants decorate this area, and we see some rocks with pictures drawn on them. Close inspection will reveal a hidden mickey drawn on one.

Scene 7 - The finale

Guests now enter the final room, where we see a ghost town. Only Mark and Davis are visible in the scene, standing towards the end, horses tethered behind him. Mark is looking back at the town. The background clearly shows the mountain and spring and alls in the background, looking as green and lively as ever.

Mark: “Yesiree, Davis, this place sure brings back the memories.”
Davis: “That is does.”
Mark: “We almost blew it. But the west is full of second chances. Come on, we’ve got to get going.”
Davis: “You really think it’s right? To give up all the water and the town? After all, they say there ain’t much in California.”
Mark: “No, the chief was right. It just weren’t right of us to claim the whole river. And who knows? They also say California is the place where dreams are made. Maybe we’ll finally strike it big.”

Guests then wind their way back to the loading and unloading area, where they exit the ride and leave. The ride exits very close to the entrance of the ride, and some small gift kiosks can be found there.

JohnLocke

Really great WRE concept. Sorry I couldn't get one up, I've been a bit busier these past few days, I couldn't really ever hit on a story I liked.

Spike-in-Berlin

No one else from our team has posted lately (I'm sure they're busy) so I say go ahead and do the stuff for Yukon. I'll get to work on some of the other Frontierland stuff. How soon can you get it done?

I'd say until tomorrow afternoon (Eastern Time, I am CET, six hours ahead), is that soon enough?

I would do

Re-imagned BTMR a ka "Gold Rush Train" (working title)
TS-Restaurant
Shop

I would also include another minor attraction (in the c-ticket range) for the subland ( I already have some ideas for that and will write something about it during afternoon (thats ET noon) because we have one left if we take BTMR out of FL and place it in the subland "Yukon Bay" bringing this to an E-Ticket, a C-ticket, a shop and a TS-restaurant.

If our park has the typical scheme of lands around the hub (was that already decided?) I would place the WRE where in MK BTMR is located and Yukon Bay behind the WRE (in MK there is nothing at this location, only some trees where the railroad goes by), the rides building would serve as an optical barrier seperating Yukon Bay from the rest of Frontierland. The only part of Frontierland visible at least partially from Yukon Bay would be the northern part of TSI which would be looking more like a moderate climate landscape, like pacific northwest of the US, perhaps with some adequate indian houses (Kwakiutl style) A tunnel through the WRE brings you to Yukon bay. The WRE backside would be styled different to the FL-side, like an Alaskan mountain range, that is not visible from the FL-side from where it looks like the typical southwest-arid style we know from BTMR in MK.

Illumination

Original Poster
Tomorrow afternoon is fine. I'll get to work on the other stuff, and hopefully we can get Frontierland finished and posted by tomorrow night or thursday morning at the latest. Our only saving grace at this point is that the other teams are all behind too, so we're not in bad shape yet.

Yes, I always imagined our park in the hub style, with all of the worlds in the same places. However, I thought Yukon would transition between Fantasy and Frontier, in the spot where Liberty Square now is. Is this correct? Another small ride in the Yukon would be good, and TSI will help bridge the two lands, theme-wise. It will be the gold fields of California. Also, Westward Ho! will be the first attraction from Frontier as you are walking from Fantasy, as it's themed east to west. I was gonna put WRE in Thunder's spot, yes, and have everything else basically in the same positions as they are in the MK.

What about Gold Mountain for your train? That follows the mountain theme, and I couldn't come up with a decent mountain name for WRE, though I'm still hoping something comes to me.

Spike-in-Berlin

Tomorrow afternoon is fine. I'll get to work on the other stuff, and hopefully we can get Frontierland finished and posted by tomorrow night or thursday morning at the latest. Our only saving grace at this point is that the other teams are all behind too, so we're not in bad shape yet.

Yes, I always imagined our park in the hub style, with all of the worlds in the same places. However, I thought Yukon would transition between Fantasy and Frontier, in the spot where Liberty Square now is. Is this correct? Another small ride in the Yukon would be good, and TSI will help bridge the two lands, theme-wise. It will be the gold fields of California. Also, Westward Ho! will be the first attraction from Frontier as you are walking from Fantasy, as it's themed east to west. I was gonna put WRE in Thunder's spot, yes, and have everything else basically in the same positions as they are in the MK.

What about Gold Mountain for your train? That follows the mountain theme, and I couldn't come up with a decent mountain name for WRE, though I'm still hoping something comes to me.

I am already doing a little brainstorming for the elements of the "Gold rush train" (still a working title, but i want to give it a "mountain" name to place it in the Disney Mountain range, perhaps something with "Peak" in it. It will include a Ghost Prospector, an avalanche, an earthquake that triggers a tidal wave in the bay, an angry kodiak bear, perhaps the Wendigo and so on.

As you critisized the character-overkill with Scrooge I have decided to do the C-Ticket as the Scrooge-Attraction instead of the Gold Rush Train. It would be the first Disney attraction including this wonderful Carl Barks character, "The Life of Scrooge McDuck (working title), possibly an omnimover dark ride.

If we place Yukon Bay in the position of Liberty square we need some transition from the southwestern theming of FL to the subpolar theming of YB and thats pretty complicated to manage. If we would instead alter the typical layout of the park and expand FL into the area of Liberty Square and instead place Yukon Bay behind WRE (north of BTMR in MK) then it would increase the feeling of being in an outpost of civilization near the arctic regions, because you cannot go anywhere from Yukon Bay with the possible exception of an additional Disney Railroad Station.. The Disney Railroad by the way would also pass by Yukon Bay which would make the classic route around the berm even more interesting. Place Westward Ho! where the HM is in MK because you need really a lot of space for the ride building.

Spike-in-Berlin

Just found out that there is a Yukon Bay in a German zoo (Hannover) and I don't want to copy something from non-disney-sources. The new name of the subland is now Klondike Square, similar to New Orleans Square in DL.

Spike-in-Berlin

The name of the E-ticket will be "Avalanche Peak Mining Railroad" and the name of the C/D-ticket "The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck" which will take us through the lifetime of the richest man/duck of the world, the superduperzillionaire Scrooge McDuck and we will also meet his nephew Donald Duck, the three grand nephews Huey, Duey and Louie but also his nemesis, the Beagle Boys and Magica De Spell. It will begin in the Klondike Gold Rush and end in his world famous money bin in Duckburg.

FigmentJedi

I definitely approve of a Life and Times of Scrooge ride.
Especially if it includes this
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Spike-in-Berlin

I definitely approve of a Life and Times of Scrooge ride.
Especially if it includes this
20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

I am really sorry Tahu but the ride is already complete in its structure and it just needs to be fleshed out (detailed descriptions) and I . I checked both my Carl Barks and Don Rosa comics about Scrooge and decided to give the ride a Carl Barks background. I only take the name of Don Rosas epic biography because it makes sense. The scenes are all from Barks comics, beginning with the Klondike gold rush to fit the setting.

Spike-in-Berlin

You really sure? Cause it would make for an amazing setpiece. And inject some Mr. Toad levels of crazy fun.

Yes it would but the LaToSMcD is only a C-Ticket ride, which means a maximum of 6 or 7 scenes. I already have the scenes set and am fully occupied by writing them down detailed at the moment and complete Avalanche Peak. If I would do the ride as an E-ticket I would include much more, especially more adventures of Scrooge in his young years. The Krakatoa episode is magnificent too e.g.

Illumination

Original Poster
Sounds like everything is coming together. I got pulled for a bunch of hours at work, unfortunately, and it's slowing me down. But I should have the two M&Gs, the one shop associated with Westward Ho!, Country Bears, and TSI done soon.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could do the Re-imagined DHSR, Tall Tales Saloon (with Root Beer Bar), and one other shop and counter service restaurant. Anyone? I can do it, but it will be the weekend before they are done if it comes to that.

Spike-in-Berlin

Sounds like everything is coming together. I got pulled for a bunch of hours at work, unfortunately, and it's slowing me down. But I should have the two M&Gs, the one shop associated with Westward Ho!, Country Bears, and TSI done soon.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could do the Re-imagined DHSR, Tall Tales Saloon (with Root Beer Bar), and one other shop and counter service restaurant. Anyone? I can do it, but it will be the weekend before they are done if it comes to that.

Sorry I know I am a little late, but we have a heat wave in the city at the moment and we don't have air conditioning (it's VERY uncommon in a German home to have one, perhaps one of 1000 or less)
and the temperatures in the 100s are significantly slowing me down. I hope to finish the task, the entire subland Klondike Square with two attractions, Avalanche Peak Mining Railroad and The Life and Times of ScroogeMcDuck, a TS-restaurant "The Whalers" and the "Lucky Duck Mine"-shop, around 10.00 am ET.

BTW where is the rest of our team?

Illumination

Original Poster
Sorry I know I am a little late, but we have a heat wave in the city at the moment and we don't have air conditioning (it's VERY uncommon in a German home to have one, perhaps one of 1000 or less)
and the temperatures in the 100s are significantly slowing me down. I hope to finish the task, the entire subland Klondike Square with two attractions, Avalanche Peak Mining Railroad and The Life and Times of ScroogeMcDuck, a TS-restaurant "The Whalers" and the "Lucky Duck Mine"-shop, around 10.00 am ET.

BTW where is the rest of our team?

I live in Florida. Believe me, I totally understand with the heat thing. As a floridian I shudder at the thought of having no AC.

I should have my list of things done by this evening, around 9pm ET.

I have no idea what happened to everyone. I think the competition is beginning to get to some of them. After all, it's been going on for a while now, and having to design a whole land in a week is tough. I think a couple probably dropped out.

Spike-in-Berlin

I live in Florida. Believe me, I totally understand with the heat thing. As a floridian I shudder at the thought of having no AC.

I should have my list of things done by this evening, around 9pm ET.

I have no idea what happened to everyone. I think the competition is beginning to get to some of them. After all, it's been going on for a while now, and having to design a whole land in a week is tough. I think a couple probably dropped out.

Actually a lot of Germans are biased concerning AC and wouldn't even install some in their home if it would be for free. They also complain about them being "to cold" in the US, about causing them to get ill etc. etc. I never got it because I love AC since my first Florida trip as a child and at the moment, if we wouldn't be only six weeks from our 3500 € + X Florida vacation, I would perhaps even purchase one.

If the others dropped out thats a problem because I am definitely unable to do more than Klondike Square due to my own shedule.

Spike-in-Berlin

OK here is the first part that is already finished, the rest, including the description of the Lucky Duck Mine shop, Avalanche Peak Mining Railroad and The Life and Times of ScroogeMc Duck follows as soon as it is finished.

Klondike Square

Layout:
Klondike Square is a sub-land located to the north of Frontierlands Western River Expedition, located between the river with Tom Sawyers Island and the Disney Railroad which establishes the outer perimeter of the park and runs around the berm.
Klondike Square is open to the east, where we see the northern part of TSI, but completely closed to the west, where we see (from south to north) first the backside of the WRE which is painted and designed in a completely different way than the FL side. In opposite to FLs southwestern desert style the theming of the side is yukon territory style, grey rocks like granite etc and snowcapped. At the bottom of the mountains there are small, one to maximum two storey buildings that create a crescent of facades to the north around the western side of Klondike Square. Behind the facades we find to the south and west the ride building of “Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck” that expands over the berm and is built partially even over the railroad. Next follows a small gap between the buildings where Klondike Square Station is located. During its ride through the ride building of life and times, windows in the trains tunnel make it possible to see the first two scenes from the ride, which are playing in Klondike.
Next follows to the north the building that houses the souvenir shop “Lucky Duck Mine” which can be accessed from the exit of Life and Times and Klondike Square.
To the left (north) of this building we see a bay about the size of the former 20.000 Leagues lagoon but with it's major axis in north-south instead of the east-west orientation of 20.000 LutS, that expands to the north and west as far as the railroad respectively the Avalanche Peak Mining Railroad and is not connected to the river to its east. At the northern end we see, of course miniaturized to create the illusion of a larger distance between the northern and southern shores of the bay, the lower part of a glacier that ends into the bay. The glacier runs up the mountains of APMR and by forced perspective seems to end in a vally high up in the mountains. To the east of “Glaciers Bay” we finally see the major attraction of Klondike Square, Avalanche Peak Mining Railroad which looks like a Yukon mountain range that peaks at 150 feet above the sqaure level. APMR is located along the entire north of Klondike Square, from Glacier Bay to the Rivers of America and end at the shores of least mentioned.
At the base of Avalanche Peak we see a rusty, old mining building, the entrance to the APMR-ride. The building is built into the lower wall of the mountain and on its eastern side, where a creek comes running down from the mountain, we see a gold panning site. On the western side of the mining building we see a building that features a big veranda towards Glacier Bay, where a small pier is visible, with a small whaling boat on anchorage. This building houses the table-service restaurant “The Whalers”.
Klondike Square can be accessed by the tunnel from FL and from the railroad station. It’s a dead end however, no other areas of the parks can be accessed by walking from here than FL. This is a mean to increase the feeling of being in an outpost of civilization.

When the guests have walked through the tunnel Klondike Square opens to them, where straight ahead they already see the promising (and threatening) peaks of Avalanche Peak, the lands icon and weenie. But to the left a smaller but not less interesting dark ride waits for them, the Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

In Glacier Bay the glacier is icecalving in regular intervals and a large ice slab that falls into the bay creates a wave that runs over the bay (actually the wave is created by a wave machine, the falling ice slab is only a special effect, that repeats continiously.
Guests who dine on the premises of “The Whalers” can sit on the pier and watch the waves and other kinetics of the bay.

Tableservice-Restaurant “The Whalers”

The Whalers is a two-storey table-service restaurant located between Avalanche Peak and Glacier Bay. The wooden architecture of the facade is influenced by the architecture of buildings from Dawson, Anchorage and other Alaskan or Yukon-golddigger cities in the 1890ies. You enter the building from the south via Klondike Square. The building has three facades, the southern facing the square, the western Glacier Bay, where there is a veranda along the pier and the smallest, the eastern facing the mining building of APMR.
To the north the building is built into the lower part of the mountain behind.
The restaurant is divided into a waiting zone along a bar, the first floor where one big room is used for table-service meals and the second floor with seperate dining rooms which can be used for character meals or larger groups.
“The Whalers” is a sea-food restaurant which serves traditional American and Canadian fish, shrimps, lobster and clam-based meals in an environment which is decorated in a style similar to a turn-of the century (1900) restaurant but is equipped with screens showing Disney cartoon classics
in the waiting zone, including the Mickey/Donald/Goofy classic “The Whalers” where the name of the restaurant is borrowed from. Whaling equipment (harpoons), fake whale bones, paintings depicting whaling (including famous Moby D.ck tale) are used as appropriate props, however a small exhibition “A tale of a whale” informs the visitors about the terrible losses of worlds whale population due to whaling. The restaurants theming doesn’t glorify whaling, it’s only the historic background, that’s used and that was typical for Alaskan and West Coast harbors in general, especially high in the north.
To the west of the building guests can sit along or on a small pier that opens to Glacier Bay. The waves created by the icecalving glacier are pounding against a small whaling boat that lies along the pier. In the bay water jets located under water and AAs resembling the back and tail of a whale simulate surfacing whales and their blows.

JohnLocke

Here's my take on the Tall Tales Saloon. It probably needs either some additions or some changes, but I'm not completely sure.

Tall Tales Saloon

The Saloon is a celebration of those Tall Tales that helped make the West, both featuring fictional characters (Paul Bunyan) and real life figures who may have had their adventures stretched a bit (Davy Crockett). It's designed like many saloons you will see in a Western, you enter through swinging doors, after passing a hitching post and water trough for horses on the outside, and immediately encounter the main saloon room. On both sides of you, you will see tables and to order your food, you continue along the walkway from the entrance, to the counter in the back. This CS restaurant offers the standard CS menu, as well some Western and Tall Tales inspired dishes, like Chili and Chili Dogs and Paul Bunyan Flapjack stacks.

About the main saloon room itself, after entering, on the lefthand side of the room, guests can find the Root Beer Bar, where the barkeep will serve them their choice of soda. The bar will also come with ice cream, so guests can go for a soda float or mix up whatever kind of concoction of soda they want. On the righthand side of the room, a player piano will be going, playing some tunes of the West as well as some Disney standards.

To the right of the bar, guests can find even more seating upstairs, with a great view to go along with it. Much like Pinocchio's Village Haus and the Garden Grille, the Tall Tales Saloon will be built for guests who dine upstairs to get a look at the WRE, letting them get a little bit more of that old West feel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom