TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Well, the Muppet fanatics here, who simply cannot FATHOM how anyone could do less than worship those characters, haven't help my feelings about the franchise, I admit. It baffles me why, after what - 8 films (?) and countless specials and TV shows - those fans still want more from what is obviously a pretty dry well. They keep griping about why Disney hasn't released all of the show seasons beyond the first 3 on DVD - well, maybe the reason is that the DVDs don't sell well, just like all of the other merchandise. Duh! Disney's out to make a dime, not preserve the legacy of someone who had nothing to do with the development of the Disney company.

I dislike the idea of Star Wars and Marvel being in Disney parks too, FWIW. Especially Marvel. Let that stay in Universal where it belongs. I'm a Disney purist when it comes to the parks. I go to the parks to see Disney-based attractions, not Stan Lee and Jim Henson-generated stuff. I bet most Disney park visitors feel the same, but of course that's conjecture on my part (but I think the revamp of DCA in California proves me right. Iger himself admitted that the reason the first DCA version failed was because there wasn't enough Disney in it. To which I say again: Duh!)

I'm glad we agree about Mary Poppins. It's ridiculous that the crown jewel of Walt Disney's film production career is so ignored by all of the parks. There are great possibilities there. I just hope that somehow, someday, new leadership in the Disney company will see them and make them happen.

I actually would say I agree with with your opinion on Disney purism if we are talking Magic Kingdom and Disneyland. DHS however I don't mind celebrating some other non traditionally Disney movies along with a heavy dose of Disney. I love GMR for example and I think with the park's concept of reaching for all sorts of IP I enjoy something well done. That said I think if they kept Muppets it should be done well and not halfway.

I was thinking earlier in regards to Mary Poppins that it would work well in the UK pavilion since they've already horseshoed IP into Epcot or as part of a dark ride where each show scene was a celebration of classic and popular movie music. In the music ride you could include both Poppins and classic Disney Animation that otherwise wouldn't have garnered enough support for a standalone attraction.

Goofyernmost

It is bizzare. Being the opening scene and all.
Actually, I think that the fact that it is the opening scene is why it has been left that way. It's one thing for those of us that have seen it a few thousand times to be disappointed that nothing was moving, those that never saw it move (and that goes back a long ways) do not expect it, are not disappointed that it isn't and do not give it a second thought.

If it had been in the middle, after so many others were operating AA's then someone would think that it was odd that it was just a set with no action. Thus, no need to make it operational again, because only about 8 people in the world even realize that it ever did. Kinda reminds you of a certain Yeti, that I shall not name. I've been going there for a lot of years, and I honestly do not remember ever seeing it move and if it did, it apparently wasn't all that impressive to me.

I feel if The Muppets stay it should be revamped, show has grown stale on me and I do tend to skip it, maybe since they are coming back on the air this will happen. Considering everything that should happen to this park maybe they should just close it down just to focus on a whole redo or just close off the back half at least.
The show has grown stale on you! That is a very important phrase. How about others like Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pans Flight, IASW all around much longer then the Muppets Theater. Are they stale as well, and therefore should be eliminated or completely redone. Perhaps you haven't gotten tired of them. Perhaps you look at those differently because you like the franchise and enjoy the fact that it is a childhood memory.

If Disney changed their attractions every time someone decided that they were bored with an attraction or just plain didn't like it, nothing that is there now would have been there more then a few years. We Disney fanatics are not the only people to go to WDW. We are but a speck of oil on an aircraft carrier compared to the millions of new visitors every year that go there. To us it's old, to them it's brand new. Pretty much the opposite of stale. We might be better off limiting our numbers of visits so that we can, if nothing else, go back and enjoy the nostalgia.

I truly wish that there were new things to see, but, I would never want to be accused of thinking that they should eliminate anything that is already there. WDW has plenty of room to expand. The last thing that they need to do is put a wrecker ball to things because anyone individual is bored with seeing it over and over again. Just don't go see it. Let others have the opportunity that you had once. But, do encourage them to add and never subtract.

AEfx

• NECA acquired the license for, and just released, the first-ever Ripley action figure to have Ms. Weaver's likeness.
My opinion is she simply didn't license her image to be used. Why? Who knows. Maybe they didn't pay her enough, or maybe she had an issue with the movie and her portrayal being used in a theme park.

She keeps coming back for more, and is reportedly gearing up for Alien 5, so I don't think it's the role - she seems to have great affection for it especially now that Ripley has become one of the iconic film heroines of all time.

To be honest I think it's more what Yvonne Craig's problem was with licensing her likeness as Batgirl. Those contracts are VERY broad and they often just say "your likeness" and a wide range of uses, like "collectable product" not "this is for this one specific item". If the person isn't willing to sign away without approval on the products themselves, the company usually just gives up and walks away knowing that they can still sell a good amount without the hassle/expense.

Given she also gave permission for Mattel to use the Gozer likeness relatively recently, and the NECA license, so either the companies are smartening up (I believe that she actually had to personally approve Gozer, as initial pics were stamped as "pending likeness approval" or something like that, don't know about the NECA) and working with the artist, or she's getting less protective.

In any case, nothing about her tells me that she wouldn't want to participate in a new AA at the GMR - I think she'd get a kick out of it than anything else. There may have been an issue back in the day, but I doubt Disney has approached her in the past 25 years. If they did today, I have a feeling she'd be rather enthusiastic, as well as seeing what good publicity it could be for Alien 5.

pumpkin7

I believe that would be Tara's Theme from Gone with the Wind you're thinking of...

If you're referring to what I think your'e referring to, it's just the loop of lighting cues that the scene runs through. It starts out with no lights, then the scrim projections, then the lights up behind the scrim, then back to no lights.

-Rob

Brilliant, yes that's the song! I have never seen Gone with the Wind... I think I should probably get a copy from somewhere!

Yeah, the lighting I just find odd. I know it's on a loop but it's a stupid loop. They really need to sort the water out again, seen as that's what the Footlight Parade was all about.

Thank you also to @djlaosc and @AndyS2992 for pointing me in the direction of TCM. We have Sky, but I've never come across it. I'll check it out!

Aaaand anyone spotted any spires as of yet?

Last edited:

FoozieBear

What happened to all the discussion that took place on here the past few days? Why have those messages been deleted? Was it because it was too off-topic?

Anyway, bringing this back on topic, I'm curious why Guardians of the Galaxy is the only Marvel movie shown in the closing montage. I would assume Disney would have liked to put some Avengers clips in there, but maybe the Marvel contract with Universal affects the GMR film as well?

doctornick

Anyway, bringing this back on topic, I'm curious why Guardians of the Galaxy is the only Marvel movie shown in the closing montage. I would assume Disney would have liked to put some Avengers clips in there, but maybe the Marvel contract with Universal affects the GMR film as well?

I'm confident that the reason that only GotG was used is because of the contract with Uni. It has been established that GotG can be used in WDW, but nothing else in the film universe is available at this time. So, Disney put in a scene from the only MCU film they could.

Sketch105

I have not ridden it yet with the changes, but after watching the finale montage video...I'm not a fan of it. They kept a lot of things I liked and added a few touches, but one big thing bugs me: At the end, they reuse the same clips from earlier in the montage instead of showing tons of other films to highlight the fact that there are SO many movies out there.

I'm guessing TCM and Disney probably went back and forth on what films to use.

Also, no Showboat

invader

I have not ridden it yet with the changes, but after watching the finale montage video...I'm not a fan of it. They kept a lot of things I liked and added a few touches, but one big thing bugs me: At the end, they reuse the same clips from earlier in the montage instead of showing tons of other films to highlight the fact that there are SO many movies out there.

I'm guessing TCM and Disney probably went back and forth on what films to use.

Also, no Showboat
Exactly. All changes welcome except for the meh ending. The old script was getting tired and needed updating. Perfect, got that. Check. But the previous montage just worked. Prefectly synchronized to the music and made sense. This one isn't bad it just doesn't feel...idk..as well put together I guess you could say. Oh well, got some new movies in it and a sponsor so it works out.

Matt_Black

Yes THAT. That needs to be a priority.

That and more muppets.

Yeah, either fix the blinds or just replace them with regular blinds. I'm not done on TDO the way others here are, but how hard is it to run over to the nearest Home Depot and get some new blinds? That's just embarrassing.

And yes, Muppets everywhere! Change LMA to Lights, MUPPETS, Action!

articos

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom