TCM teams up with Disney to refresh Great Movie Ride

Rteetz

Was just going to post this. They said changes will start happening as soon as early 2015. Hopefully this brings new life to the attraction and makes it better.

BrerJon

Interesting. The preview movie and the afteshow bit are the two most in need of an update, and a way to keep it fresh without changing any animatronics, so this is a positive move.

It sounds like this is all timed nicely to coincide with the hat removal, so just as it goes it will reveal the beautiful Chinese Theatre and a refurbished ride that many guests won't even have noticed existing before.

the.dreamfinder

The announcement poster looks great.
image.jpg

Slowjack

Very cool. I don't even have cable any more, but I've always thought that TCM represents what cable should be. When my family first got cable back in the day, most cable stations had no commercials, or certainly no commercial interruptions. TCM is one of the few stations left where I can imagine the people that run the channel actually enjoy watching the channel.

mightynine

As a regular viewer of TCM, I'm happy to get some old Disney programming on TV again.

In the other part of the deal, another Disney division, Walt Disney Studios, will provide TCM with vintage movies, cartoons, documentaries and episodes of TV series like “Disneyland” and “Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color” for a periodic programming block on the channel under the banner of “Treasures From the Disney Vault.”

The block will be offered by TCM “roughly four to five times a year,” said Charlie Tabesh, senior vice president for programming and production of TCM.

“Disney films and other programming have been seen a little bit on TCM, but not much,” he added. “It will be exciting to dig into the vault and see classic Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, ‘The Wonderful World of Disney,’ ” he said.

The initial block of Disney programming by TCM is to run from 8 p.m., Eastern time, on Dec. 21 through 5:15 a.m. on Dec. 22. “It’s a Sunday night,” Mr. Tabesh said, “a perfect family night and getting close to Christmas.”

Among the nine scheduled items from the Disney archives are “Santa’s Workshop,” a 1932 cartoon; “The Disneyland Story,” in which Walt Disney himself describes in 1954 plans for the park named Disneyland that he opened in Anaheim, Calif., the next year; “Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier,” edited from episodes of a “Disneyland” serial about the frontiersman; and “The Vanishing Prairie,” a nature documentary.

BrerJon

Another good point - this sponsorship is clearly targeting GMR at an older, more mature audience, instead of just kids. It's a thinking person's attraction.

Could it be the days of Disney not wanting to do anything that doesn't exclusively appeal to 6 year old kids might be coming to an end? Anna and Elsa must be annoyed they've been overlooked this time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom