Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

PhotoDave219

The Frozen change isn't so much about taking out the boat ride, it is about it being a FUNDAMENTAL shift in the way things have been done in the World Showcase, and the entire mission of the world showcase, and in what it could mean for the future.

Aladdin ride in Morrocco, Lion King for Africa, etc etc,

changing the focus from the countries themselves, to being a focus on whats hot now.

Blah blah blah. I'm tired of it. It's a theme park.

PhotoDave219

I was talking about the Jim Hill thing but since no one else has said that GMR is definitely leaving I'm not worried yet. Just that I could see it happening based on all the closures and cuts recently and over the years.

When Tom & his site is scooping Jim Hill, it makes jim rather irrelevant, right?

Stophie

I haven't read the whole thread but thinking about all the Pixar rumours, am I one of the only people NOT to want to see a replication of Cars Land. Why should I travel to both the CA and FL parks when there are the same rides in both places? They could easily fit a unique Pixar coaster, unique Pixar dark ride and some of the smaller Cars or Toy Story rides that are already in CA, Paris and Hong Kong into FL WDW. Making a nice mix of replicated kids rides, original family ride and original thrill ride.

There is a HUGE amount of land where the old studio stuff was, LMA can stay and they can still do Pixar land and Star Wars land.

I personally would also like to see something entirely new and exclusive to WDW go into that space, but I also understand the reasoning behind why they would clone another attraction instead. Some folks will never have the opportunity (or desire) to travel to the other Disney Parks around the world to experience Carsland or the like. In that sense, I wouldn't mind if some form of Carsland lands in Florida. Heck, the majority of MK is one big clone of the original park in Anaheim and that turned out fairly well.

But at the same time, I'm not entirely thrilled with the rumors of Toy Story Playland possibly taking over some of that space. Granted, DHS does need some more kid/family friendly rides, but not the carnival-type ones that seem to occupy this land. Now, I've never witnessed this area myself and I'm drawing my opinion solely from what I have seen on youtube and Wikipedia. I am not impressed. I would rather see a couple decent dark rides based on some of the Pixar properties and possibly even a solid E-ticket. Wishful thinking, I know, but I can dream, can't I? :p

TalkingHead

The Frozen change isn't so much about taking out the boat ride, it is about it being a FUNDAMENTAL shift in the way things have been done in the World Showcase, and the entire mission of the world showcase, and in what it could mean for the future.

Yes, centuries from now, books will be written about the shift in the mission of World Showcase that the Frozen ride inspired. We're truly standing on the edge of the cliff, a precipice. The abyss opens before us. The void.

World Showcase will never be the same. What could it mean for the future? History will long remember this moment.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm not ranting and i do understand the realities of running a business.

When your saying they can't increase operational budgets that would imply that park attendance has stagnated, and/or decreased

I didn't say "can't" - you made a statement of 'why don't they..' - I outlined why someone wouldn't - not that they can't.

Second - you talk about park attendance climbing and 'seeing more people than ever' - you can't apply the company results to parks uniformly. DHS has been suffering - only the special events and recently Frozen has bucked that trend.

When i suggested adding a bunch of new attractions on the expanded park boundaries, I didn't mean just go crazy and build it all at once, I meant plan for the continued growth of park attendance and just make a true future master plan, and bring attractions (aka operational expenses) online proportionally to the growth in attendance to maintain a certain standard.

And by that logic - you do realize overall attendance has been growing in the low single digits.. and that is carried by other parks. DHS hasn't been experiencing growth.. and even if you took the overall company #s.. how much expanding does 3% growth get you?

If you haven't been paying attention to WDW for the last 7 years or so... the plan implemented has been how to sustain incremental bottom line growth by doing the least possible. Not 'build for controlled growth'. They've been trimming and extended... not expanding to drive growth.

PhotoDave219

World Showcase will never be the same. What could it mean for the future? History will long remember this moment.

You lack ... perspective.

Curing cancer would be a historical moment. Wars tend to start with historical moments. Assassinations, floods, fires, famine, etc., those are historical moments?

This?

THIS?!?!?

You dare put a theme park removing a boat ride in that same category?

Your hyperbole serves nothing and no one except yourself.

Goofyernmost

I haven't read the whole thread but thinking about all the Pixar rumours, am I one of the only people NOT to want to see a replication of Cars Land. Why should I travel to both the CA and FL parks when there are the same rides in both places? They could easily fit a unique Pixar coaster, unique Pixar dark ride and some of the smaller Cars or Toy Story rides that are already in CA, Paris and Hong Kong into FL WDW. Making a nice mix of replicated kids rides, original family ride and original thrill ride.

There is a HUGE amount of land where the old studio stuff was, LMA can stay and they can still do Pixar land and Star Wars land.
Sadly, you are not the only person in the world. Good for you that you can travel both coasts but that isn't the lifestyle of many people. So, because someone thinks that for some unexplainable reason a good attraction should only be in one specific park, others must be deprived of it? You can still go to the coasts if you want, you can just not go to the attraction in the park of your choice. But, there is NO GOOD reason why the same attraction cannot be 3500 miles apart. If there is a good reason, I have yet to hear it.

Tigger1988

You lack ... perspective.

Curing cancer would be a historical moment. Wars tend to start with historical moments. Assassinations, floods, fires, famine, etc., those are historical moments?

This?

THIS?!?!?

You dare put a theme park removing a boat ride in that same category?

Your hyperbole serves nothing and no one except yourself.
He's being sarcastic...almost painfully so.

Goofyernmost

Was it ever a full day park?
Even before there were attractions like ToT and RcRC the backstage tour was almost 3 hours if I remember correctly. What you see now in the Backlot tour is about 20% of what once existed for that attraction alone. The sound stages, the animation area, the movie prop area, the blue screen area, just to name a few. So add that to the sound show, the at least 1 hour TV show (sorry I've forgotten the name, Super Star Television, maybe?), Indy, The Muppets along with the street performers, indeed made it a full day park. Perhaps not as long as MK or Epcot, but, there really was only enough time after a day at Disney/MGM to get to Pleasure Island and only get half snockered. It was a full day in that sense and a very good one to use between MK and EPCOT which were both full days plus.

mm121

it definitely seems like in many ways they dont utilize behind the scenes space very effectively. in this retrospect as far as pixar land goes, this would seem to be part of the case as to why they would be extending it south into where LMA/ BLT are vs going west back behind TSM

My thing is why should LMA stay? The show is cool but after a few times of watching it the suspense is no longer there. Now it seems like cars performing dance routines. Just level it all and then add some new Pixar rides
agreed on this one, its very predictable, if they replace it though it should be nice dark rides, not carnival rides.

possibly another coaster too, not that i'd want all of disney to turn into coasters, but would be cool to see each park have 2 or 3.

I personally would also like to see something entirely new and exclusive to WDW go into that space, but I also understand the reasoning behind why they would clone another attraction instead. Some folks will never have the opportunity (or desire) to travel to the other Disney Parks around the world to experience Carsland or the like. In that sense, I wouldn't mind if some form of Carsland lands in Florida. Heck, the majority of MK is one big clone of the original park in Anaheim and that turned out fairly well.

But at the same time, I'm not entirely thrilled with the rumors of Toy Story Playland possibly taking over some of that space. Granted, DHS does need some more kid/family friendly rides, but not the carnival-type ones that seem to occupy this land. Now, I've never witnessed this area myself and I'm drawing my opinion solely from what I have seen on youtube and Wikipedia. I am not impressed. I would rather see a couple decent dark rides based on some of the Pixar properties and possibly even a solid E-ticket. Wishful thinking, I know, but I can dream, can't I? :p

definitely e tickets are much needed.
I didn't say "can't" - you made a statement of 'why don't they..' - I outlined why someone wouldn't - not that they can't.

Second - you talk about park attendance climbing and 'seeing more people than ever' - you can't apply the company results to parks uniformly. DHS has been suffering - only the special events and recently Frozen has bucked that trend.

And by that logic - you do realize overall attendance has been growing in the low single digits.. and that is carried by other parks. DHS hasn't been experiencing growth.. and even if you took the overall company #s.. how much expanding does 3% growth get you?

If you haven't been paying attention to WDW for the last 7 years or so... the plan implemented has been how to sustain incremental bottom line growth by doing the least possible. Not 'build for controlled growth'. They've been trimming and extended... not expanding to drive growth.

it hasn't helped with AK and HS are considered halfday parks and some would even say the same thing about Epcot.

Though Avatar should help Ak. so its nice to see changes to HS that would do the same.

I think the main thing lots of people fear when they announce these PERMANENT closures, before presenting a vision is a repeat of what happened at Pleasure Island and elsewhere around the parks, where rides and attractions are simply shut down with no vision / plan to replace them. and it definitely seems like disney construction is much slower than Uni construction so that also aggravates people.

Prior to these rumors what was the last true ride built at HS? I know its been awhile, hence why I was suggesting plans for constant updates additions, vs nothing nothing nothing then boom boom boom several things at once then a decade before anything else.

if they kept it more constant that would keep the exicitement up in the parks,keeping the excitement factor of "new" "new" "new" has definitely been helping uni recently.

jakeman

Aladdin ride in Morrocco, Lion King for Africa, etc etc,

changing the focus from the countries themselves, to being a focus on whats hot now.
Ah the country of Africa...

mm121

Ah the country of Africa...

I'm aware Africa isn't a Country, but when there was talk of doing in it wasn't going to be one single country it was going to be Equitorial africa a grouping of countries.

The change to Frozen, cound in time spell well for the rest of WS, if disney has shifted from expecting the host countries to be the primary financers of their own pavillions.

which could in time open the door to new ones such as Australia, etc if the countries aren't expected to contribute the full cost of construction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom