Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

FrankLapidus

The Backlot Tour had become unquestionably bad by the end but its still sort of sad seeing the trams go. Necessary, but sad considering how much I used to enjoy it before Disney took a hatchet to the "tour" part of the attraction. Nonetheless it was a big part of the DHS that I was first introduced to years ago and seeing those pictures feels significant, like its proof that the park is about to change in a big way. In this case change can only be a good thing considering what the park has become but seeing those photos has got me reminiscing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You obviously have never worked for the company.

No indeed, Back in the 80's myself and a couple of colleagues wanted to become Imagineers we had group pilgrimages to WDW etc., We thank our lucky stars these days that that particular wish did not come true.

Perhaps long ago Disney kept stuff, But on a backstage trip a couple of years ago I was watching them shred bits of recently closed attractions (not Spectro) I don't imagine much has changed. It costs MONEY to store stuff scrap metal goes for good money in China.

You might have noted that nearly all the Disney surplus outfits have closed and have not been replaced, And I've never seen an official Disney memorabilia store on Ebay - small stuff is sold through property control but that's about it these days.

Next Big Thing

No indeed, Back in the 80's myself and a couple of colleagues wanted to become Imagineers we had group pilgrimages to WDW etc., We thank our lucky stars these days that that particular wish did not come true.

Perhaps long ago Disney kept stuff, But on a backstage trip a couple of years ago I was watching them shred bits of recently closed attractions (not Spectro) I don't imagine much has changed. It costs MONEY to store stuff scrap metal goes for good money in China.

You might have noted that nearly all the Disney surplus outfits have closed and have not been replaced, And I've never seen an official Disney memorabilia store on Ebay - small stuff is sold through property control but that's about it these days.
I'm not gonna say it still happens, but i'm gonna say it still happens. And they are very cheap about a lot of things. They like to use and reuse EVERYTHING. The selling stuff... I won't get into that too much, but don't think they don't sell things wholesale.

lazyboy97o

Disney did have an official store on eBay selling old theme park stuff. The problem with the model of selling stuff that was used in the parks is that it requires either years of accumulation or the constant closing/replacement of items.

Next Big Thing

Disney did have an official store on eBay selling old theme park stuff. The problem with the model of selling stuff that was used in the parks is that it requires either years of accumulation or the constant closing/replacement of items.
An attraction doesn't have to close for them to go and sell something on ebay. If they do an extensive refurb of an attraction and replace a major showpiece, the piece that they replaced has to go somewhere...

lazyboy97o

An attraction doesn't have to close for them to go and sell something on ebay. If they do an extensive refurb of an attraction and replace a major showpiece, the piece that they replaced has to go somewhere...
Disney selling is easier because it is not the core of their business. An independent company based on reselling such items would need a constant stream from Disney. It also costs Disney more to save items that are being replaced in refurbishments as you need to have care with their removal.

Goofyernmost

B0eBA_oIIAABwdv.jpg:medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B0eBA_oIIAABwdv.jpg:large
I find it so appropriate that as this piece of machinery that gave so much pleasure to so many over the years, is being towed away under a very sad looking sky.

I saw this one two but I couldn't quite understand what I was seeing. Is this one being towed?
This is the drive section of the tram. It has an engine, transmission and all the controls. If registered it might even be able to go on the roads, but, after all those years at such low RPM's I don't think that the engine would last very long at higher speeds. The one on the flat bed earlier was one of the tram cars that are towed behind the drive section. No engine, just two axles.

asianway

There's a half dozen guys...they keep going bankrupt, reopening, repeat.

A backlot tram isn't like a toad car. You'd need a warehouse to store it and no one with that kind of money would consider it to be beloved enough to pay the carrying costs associated with owning it. If TPC gets them it will be their Wilderness Lodge furniture...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

A backlot tram isn't like a toad car. You'd need a warehouse to store it and no one with that kind of money would consider it to be beloved enough to pay the carrying costs associated with owning it. If TPC gets them it will be their Wilderness Lodge furniture...

I think they are all finally kaput these days. agree on the tram car it's more valuable to disney as a tax writedown and scrap metal.

Next Big Thing

You'd be surprised at the amount of people in Florida who rent out storage units just to store their cars. I know of several where it would fit and a few people who would think about purchasing it...

Next Big Thing

Might've been interesting if they used them to replace the parking lot trams. It would've carried the Hollywood theme all the way out into the parking lot, and definitely would've looked more interesting.
Definitely an interesting idea, but if that were to happen I guarantee the doors would be replaced with ones like the current tram doors. The maintenance on those trams just bc of those doors was ridiculous.

I think DHS is trying to get rid of the whole "Studios" theme even more than it already has so bringing the trams to the parking lot makes little sense when you think about it.

Sped2424

This is actually pretty sad. I did like the tour, but as long as it's replaced w ith something better. I do hope the trams aren't destroyed and instead repurposed.

Adam Santos

no they are way Different from the Parking trams
the Parking trams has door handles you can open and close
and gets Hauled by a Diesel Truck

and the Backlot Tour Trams has doors that swing upwards

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom