Studio Backlot Tour Closing on September 27, 2014

LeRaposa

It'd be shame to tear down Catastrophe canyon as it looks remarkably similar to Tatooine from Star Wars. They could retheme the whole tour to Star Wars. The queue could be themed to some sort of Imperial Base on Tatooine and the boneyard would be the Imperial Fleet's boneyard. They'd have to reroute (and retheme) the trams though and not to mention the entire area would have to be themed. All in all though it would cost less than simply demolishing it all and building new stuff. It's not out of the question as we all know how much TDO loves rethemes.

RSoxNo1

It'd be shame to tear down Catastrophe canyon as it looks remarkably similar to Tatooine from Star Wars. They could retheme the whole tour to Star Wars. The queue could be themed to some sort of Imperial Base on Tatooine and the boneyard would be the Imperial Fleet's boneyard. They'd have to reroute (and retheme) the trams though and not to mention the entire area would have to be themed. All in all though it would cost less than simply demolishing it all and building new stuff. It's not out of the question as we all know how much TDO loves rethemes.
I'll respectfully disagree here. Disney has a horrible success rate with shoehorning new things into existing areas. A tear down and new build-out is going to be better most of the time.

LeRaposa

I'll respectfully disagree here. Disney has a horrible success rate with shoehorning new things into existing areas. A tear down and new build-out is going to be better most of the time.

I never said they were good at it. I just said TDO loves rethemes. Whether or not they're good at it is another conversation.

With that tanker truck, I always saw it more of a wet Mad Max set.

You just reminded me of another movie it could pass as, Wall-E. There wouldn't need to be much work done on it to turn it into something from Wall-E. The whole park looks like an apocalyptic wasteland! :)

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

The Catastrophe Canyon set is little more than rockwork (which is all scorched from years of fire hitting it). The bulk of the canyon isn't the rockwork, but rather the massive tank and pipe system it covers. There wouldn't be any point in keeping the entire thing just for the rockwork.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
If anything Catastrophe Canyon looks like it belongs in Cars Land. That would be kinda cool to incorporate the Canyon into the setting of the rumored Cars ride at DHS. And keep the truck and just put eyes on it. A little homage!

I thought same thing, just a quick scene with possibly even some minor water effects or something.

YodaMan

New guide maps for Studios released today on account of Osborne. Backlot Tour is *still* listed. Did they really decide to close it at that much of the last minute?

Kman101

Just how far in advance are guide maps printed up? LOL

If we do get a Cars ride, they could always enclose Catastrophe Canyon if they wanted to spend the time and money. I wouldn't mind it being included. There had been long rumors (not sure if they were true or not, or just fan talk) that they would use it in any Cars ride but who knows? It depends what they build there and it probably could just be easier to level it. Who knows what shape it's all in?

YodaMan

No clue. For what it's worth, Legend of Jack Sparrow was not on the new map and it had been just closed one day prior. Really not sure what the deal is with leaving Backlot Tour on things over a month after closing...

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

If we do get a Cars ride, they could always enclose Catastrophe Canyon if they wanted to spend the time and money. I wouldn't mind it being included. There had been long rumors (not sure if they were true or not, or just fan talk) that they would use it in any Cars ride but who knows? It depends what they build there and it probably could just be easier to level it. Who knows what shape it's all in?

That would be very neat! Just slap a face on that truck and do it! :D

RAXIP

Backlot Tour is *still* listed. Did they really decide to close it at that much of the last minute?
It's not listed on the map. The trams, Catastrophe Canyon and the props have been removed from the image.
image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom