Starbucks at WDW - Opinion poll?

Are you in favor of Starbucks at WDW

• Total voters

princessmelinda

Although I am not a coffee drinker I'm very excited about this! I can see myself walking down main street with a passion tea lemonade or a double chocolatey chip frappuccino! :)

Ignohippo

People's love for Starbucks is hilarious (and disturbing).

If this were Pizza Hut or Sbarro wanting to take open pizza locations, people would be up in arms that Disney is losing its identity and becoming like every other mall (see: Downtown Disney).

But, as far as the brainwashed masses go, Starbucks is fine. Personally, I find Starbucks to be about the worst corporation in the country and I hate to see it invade Disney. Someplace like DTD would be fine but not in the parks.

manolete

You Canadians! I think you guys have a problem with Timmy! :lol: I've worked at a couple of places in Canada where there was a Timmy's close by, and people seemed pretty fanatical about it.

The problem is that Canadians like fairly priced good coffee. Paying $5 dollars for burnt, disgusting coffee now that is fanatical....

njDizFan

If this were Pizza Hut or Sbarro wanting to take open pizza locations, people would be up in arms that Disney is losing its identity and becoming like every other mall (see: Downtown Disney).

But, as far as the brainwashed masses go, Starbucks is fine. Personally, I find Starbucks to be about the worst corporation in the country and I hate to see it invade Disney. Someplace like DTD would be fine but not in the parks.
Can you please tell me why you would consider them the worst corporation in the country?

I honestly do not understand the vitriol regarding a beverage establishment. I for one really dislike chain establishments as a general rule. But the hatred seems to really gear up a notch when discussing Starbucks. Even if this had no corelation to Disney, people would jumped up with pitchforks. People don't have the same level of distaste for Chilis or Burger King so why Starbucks. It can't simply be the taste of their coffee. I think fast food establishments are far more agregious since they pander to the lowest common denominator. Selling a huge amount of calories for insanely low prices.

captainkidd

Excellent point. People are so obsessed with coffee it's scary.

captainkidd

I honestly do not understand the vitriol regarding a beverage establishment. I for one really dislike chain establishments as a general rule. But the hatred seems to really gear up a notch when discussing Starbucks. Even if this had no corelation to Disney, people would jumped up with pitchforks. People don't have the same level of distaste for Chilis or Burger King so why Starbucks. It can't simply be the taste of their coffee. I think fast food establishments are far more agregious since they pander to the lowest common denominator. Selling a huge amount of calories for insanely low prices.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I get where the user's coming from (not on the hate for Starbucks), but the idea of chains invading the parks. They're 100% right. If Pecos Bills started serving McDonalds food, people would FLIP out.

They have that cart in Frontierland that used to serve McDonalds french fries, and people were up in arms about it. But now, since it's coffee and people are obsessed and addicted to it, it's not a problem.

It is a bit of a double standard.

Disneydreamer23

I voted no not because I'm necessarily opposed to Starbucks in the parks but because I'm afraid it might make the parks more Universal or Six Flags Like with a giant Starbucks logo sign hanging off of main street or Sunset Blvd. I'm opposed to outside branding in the parks. It they just serve Starbucks products but with a Disney like and themed location then I'm not as concerned. If they do it the way they've implemented Joffreys then it'll be fine. But if it's like the Universal implementation it's like the store just jumped into he middle of their backlit and it's not thematically coherent at all.

I am also afraid that it sets the precedent of bringing more outside brands into the park. Disney is supposed to be a place away from the outside world, I don't want my neighborhood mall making its way into the park.

Finally, I just hope the Starbucks don't replace some of my favorite places. For example, the writers stop. It seems like a prime candidate for conversion but I really hope they don't. I love the current ambience there, always fairly empty and quiet, lots of odd books I don't see other places, and a great pastry selection that Starbucks can't match.

So yeah, can't say I'm thrilled with the news but as long as they implement it well I don't think I'll mind too much.
you took the words right our our mY Mouth

THECARISMINE

While I'm not always fond of the place myself I have a friend who do to heath reasons can't digest dairy fats so we are ALWAYS in Starbucks simply because they have a vegan selection. If they had to pick a chain I'm at least glad they picked one that serves everybody.

Ariel484

Not trying to argue, just my 2 cents:

I voted yes in the poll...not because I "love" Starbucks though. Currently there really are not a lot of good places in Disney to get good/decent coffee, and now there will be. There ARE places to get good/decent pizza (although I'm sure some will say that's up for debate), so there's no outcry for Disney to overhaul their pizza supply.

If Disney had been offering decent coffee in a good number of locations throughout the property all along, people wouldn't have complained as much, and maybe this would not be happening. :shrug:

captainkidd

Not trying to argue, just my 2 cents:

I voted yes in the poll...not because I "love" Starbucks though. Currently there really are not a lot of good places in Disney to get good/decent coffee, and now there will be. There ARE places to get good/decent pizza (although I'm sure some will say that's up for debate), so there's no outcry for Disney to overhaul their pizza supply.

If Disney had been offering decent coffee in a good number of locations throughout the property all along, people wouldn't have complained as much, and maybe this would not be happening. :shrug:

I loathe Pizza Planet, but I'd rather force myself to eat there then see them turn it into a Pizza Hut.

71jason

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I get where the user's coming from (not on the hate for Starbucks), but the idea of chains invading the parks. They're 100% right. If Pecos Bills started serving McDonalds food, people would FLIP out.

But Edy's has essentially the same deal in MK and EPCOT, yet no one flips out. There's no question but that Starbucks has tried to promote its brand as a "lifestyle" and I think there's resentment against that.

tl77

I voted "I don't care" because I don't really don't think their serving Starbuck will be any different than selling Coca-Cola. I really can't image they would do something like the McDonald's fries kiosks again considering how people complained about it, plus that Coca-Cola "iceberg thing" in Epcot wore out its welcome pretty quickly too. Hopefully by now they've learned by now how to integrate these different brands without causing the Disney faithful to start a riot over it

captainkidd

But Edy's has essentially the same deal in MK and EPCOT, yet no one flips out. There's no question but that Starbucks has tried to promote its brand as a "lifestyle" and I think there's resentment against that.

Yeah, I don't care much for that either, but it's not taking away from the theme or CM's working there. If Starbucks doesn't do that, then I really don't care.

MickeyPeace

I'm with kap91; I don't like outside branding in the parks. Plus do I really want to pay $5 or 6 for a cup of mediocre coffee?

Outside branding is all over the parks. There is a huge Edy's sign on the ice cream shop on Main Street for starters.

A tall Starbucks coffee (or small) is under $2. Same price or less that Disney is currently charging for coffee. You may pay $5 or $6 for a venti frappuccino so avoid those. But everything at Disney is hugely marked up so Starbucks is not going to seem more expensive than anything else.

threeyoda

I voted no not because I'm necessarily opposed to Starbucks in the parks but because I'm afraid it might make the parks more Universal or Six Flags Like with a giant Starbucks logo sign hanging off of main street or Sunset Blvd. I'm opposed to outside branding in the parks. It they just serve Starbucks products but with a Disney like and themed location then I'm not as concerned. If they do it the way they've implemented Joffreys then it'll be fine. But if it's like the Universal implementation it's like the store just jumped into he middle of their backlit and it's not thematically coherent at all.

I am also afraid that it sets the precedent of bringing more outside brands into the park. Disney is supposed to be a place away from the outside world, I don't want my neighborhood mall making its way into the park.

Finally, I just hope the Starbucks don't replace some of my favorite places. For example, the writers stop. It seems like a prime candidate for conversion but I really hope they don't. I love the current ambience there, always fairly empty and quiet, lots of odd books I don't see other places, and a great pastry selection that Starbucks can't match.

So yeah, can't say I'm thrilled with the news but as long as they implement it well I don't think I'll mind too much.

Going by the announcement Disney made, the Starbucks will be themed locations. The one opening on the new Buena Vista Street in Claifornia Adventure will be themed to a 1920s coffee shop, complete with 1920s era costumes for the cast members. So basically they'll be Disney restaurants serving Starbucks products. The sign on the front of the store will say Starbucks, but will be made to fit in with the theme of the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom