Star Wars Theme Park Attractions to be Based on New Films

ChrisM

I'm really looking forward to the threads about how someone's vacation was ruined because the full-scale Millennium Falcon had the new rectangular dish instead of the old circular one and how it completely blew up the thematic story of the land as it is supposed to be set just prior to the attack on the second Death Star.

And someone was mean to them and they forgot their adult diapers so they peed their pants.

Last edited:

rioriz

If they truly are expanding the back of the park first then I see no reason to rush Star Wars until 2020. Makes sense not to have two major parts of a small park shut down at the same time.

But let's throw logic out the window, I WANT MY STAR WARS AND I WANT IT NOW!!! In fact why wait to release all three sequels? Shoot them at the same time and release them all together! Staggered opening has proven to be a poor business model. When will Disney ever learn!!:rolleyes:

Sue_Vongello

I am the last person to defend Bob Eiger… I really am.

But if you look back at everything that I've been saying for six months and everything that 74 and others have been saying, i'm sad to say that this is been Disney's game plan all along.

It's not a postponement at all. It's been their M.O. All along. They've never had any intention of opening a Star Wars part of the park any sooner than what we are currently discussing…

So **** frustrating. 2019?!? 2020?!? For crying out loud Glendale, get your stuff together!

Exactly. Exactly my point.

He wants to come out now and say it was because he wants to give the fans what they want (from the new films).

Uh, no, Bobby ... what we want(ed) was new attractions based on the characters/settings we have loved for over 30 years or so ...

Nice try, though.

DisDan

Exactly. Exactly my point.

He wants to come out now and say it was because he wants to give the fans what they want (from the new films).

Uh, no, Bobby ... what we want(ed) was new attractions based on the characters/settings we have loved for over 30 years or so ...

Nice try, though.

I am pretty sure not everyone that visits WDW has loved SW for 30 years or so..... In fact im willing to bet that is the minority. Today's Generation of Star Wars fans are growing up with the Prequel Trilogy and Star Wars Rebels and now the Sequels.

RSoxNo1

Toy Story Playland apparently and a third track for Toy Story Midway Mania. And likely some other Pixar ride/s. Nothing has been officially confimed except for TSMM. And I've yet to see anyone TRULY confirm the Playland. I guess Spirit but even then, they could always change their mind so until walls go up and construction starts ... Someone needs to start dropping some knowledge.

And eventually people will actually SEE the Great Movie Ride and it's getting refreshed (not to the extent most want but it's getting a smart tie-in with TCM).

Even if they announced Star Wars tomorrow it still wouldn't be finished until 2019/2020. I'm leaning towards 2019 simply for the fact that it's the 30th anniversary of DHS but not that anniversary's matter to them anymore. And 2021 is Magic Kingdom's 50th. It's not ideal but even if they started construction this year or last year we still wouldn't get it for at least three years and they aren't going to take away the shine on Avatar Land.

Not justifying them in delaying Star Wars but if they truly DO do it right, I'm OK with it.

Although to be fair, most construction takes three years so I'd venture we see Pixar expanded (2015-2018), followed by Star Wars (2016/2017-2020). There's elements of Star Wars, IMO, they could do first like a Cantina, the Falcon ... but the question is, will they? Probably not. I'm NO insider so the dates are SPECULATION on my part. Do not take any of that as gospel please. I'm basing it off of their 3 year construction mantra. Although I'd prefer to see them knock that down to 2 years. I'm sure Toy Story Playland wouldn't really take 3 years.
The Playland was speculation that hasn't been denied by insiders. The definitive info came from MiceChat who said that a version of Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree with a Woody theme would be one of the attractions. We have evidence that the 3rd TSMM track is happening and it has been definitively confirmed by @WDW1974, @PhotoDave219 and Jim Hill.

Regarding the Great Movie Ride, the contract with TCM is for 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Great Movie Ride change it's theme entirely at around the time Star Wars opens up (likely 2019-2020).

Can we also change the subject of this thread because Iger said the Star Wars attractions would include Past, Present and Future, not just Future films.

Progress.City

If they truly are expanding the back of the park first then I see no reason to rush Star Wars until 2020. Makes sense not to have two major parts of a small park shut down at the same time.

But let's throw logic out the window, I WANT MY STAR WARS AND I WANT IT NOW!!! In fact why wait to release all three sequels? Shoot them at the same time and release them all together! Staggered opening has proven to be a poor business model. When will Disney ever learn!!:rolleyes:
After they thaw out Walt from the Carbon Freeze or that that guy from Heir to the Empire (forgot his name) or whichever comes first.

RSoxNo1

Did anyone really think they would open a Star Wars land within a year of Avatarland? 2020 makes sense. I don't like it, but that's reality.
More accurately, staggering the other additions to that park also makes sense. Much like the way DCA's redux panned out, there were additions leading up to the crown jewel.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I hope a land with attractions in less than 4 years...
22.gif
30.gif

If 2020 comes around in the next 4 years, then yes it will be possible. ;)

Sue_Vongello

I am pretty sure not everyone that visits WDW has loved SW for 30 years or so..... In fact im willing to bet that is the minority. Today's Generation of Star Wars fans are growing up with the Prequel Trilogy and Star Wars Rebels and now the Sequels.

Yes. MAYBE the majority have not loved SW for thirty years. I am an old lady, granted.

But no, the majority of fans (no matter how long they loved SW) want to see and experience things from the original trilogy.

DC0703

Ok then lets talk about the state of Hollywood Studios in the mean time. If no construction is going to go on and no new rides or attractions for 5 years how is this park going to make it? As much as you and I hated AI and BL they were people eaters and time killers. What is the park going to do to keep people in it for even half a day?

Bummer that it's going to take so long, but not surprising.

If the rumors of a DCA-type revamp of the park are true, it is likely that this was going to be a 5-6 year project done in phases from the get-go. My guess is that Star Wars will be the last phase. With all of the recent closures, it's clear that they are prepping the back area for work, likely the Pixar expansion/playland, so that will come first.

I'm sure there will be new attractions and upgrades before 2020, just likely not Star Wars.

aka_emilicious

For some reason I thought Disney purchased that patent at some point.

Though they might not own it, they referenced it in one of their recent patents. I'll see if I can find it again.

Found it! System and method for providing an augmented reality experience references the Star Wars Warring Coaster patent.

It's an interesting patent. Describes almost the same idea of an interactive roller coaster, but drops the concept of warring factions (which I still think would have been cool). One line I enjoy immensely in the description:

Nevertheless, despite their numerous advantages, computer virtual environments are inevitably constrained by their format. Consequently, they often fail to provide the visceral thrill associated with a real adventure ride, arising, for example, from the physical motion produced by the real ride. As a result, conventional solutions to providing simulation environments leave the recreational thrill seeker facing a mutually exclusive choice. On the one hand, he or she can sacrifice realism in favor of the flexibility and variety available through a computer virtual environment. Alternatively, he or she can choose to enjoy the realism available from a sophisticated adventure ride, but have little opportunity to interact with the experience in order to influence the unfolding of events within it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom