Star Wars Theme Park Attractions to be Based on New Films

Ignohippo

Allow me to clarify: the concept that any new Star Wars attractions at DHS will be Only based on new attractions is correct.

Should it be greenlit (and I think it will be) it won't open before 2019/2020.

Does that clarify any?

Edit: further clarification.....

So what I was told many many months ago is that the thing holding up SW at DHS was that they wanted some of the land to be based off the new movies. Now whether that changed to being entirely based off of the new movies, I don't know. Based on iger's comments, it may be. It may be. It may not be.

Either way two things we can take away from this: attractions based on a movie that's still a year out will be coming AND we're looking at 19/20 as an opening date. Roughly.

Nice backtracking. You should go into politics.

Spike-in-Berlin

This would be really, really stupid. and that's why I am quite sure they will do it, no matter what. Exactly the kind of decision I expect from such a soulless bean counter in a suit.
Which starship from the prequels ever achieved the status of the Falcon or an Imperial Star Destroyer? Does any one believe it will be so much different with the sequels? It would be a good idea to share the attractions between all three trilogies, not only the coming one. To leave out the classic trilogy is exactly the idiotic move I expect from such an uninspired and unimaginative bureaucrat like Iger but I am repeating myself.

Hula Popper

This would be really, really stupid. and that's why I am quite sure they will do it, no matter what. Exactly the kind of decision I expect from such a soulless bean counter in a suit.
Which starship from the prequels ever achieved the status of the Falcon or an Imperial Star Destroyer? Does any one believe it will be so much different with the sequels? It would be a good idea to share the attractions between all three trilogies, not only the coming one. To leave out the classic trilogy is exactly the idiotic move I expect from such an uninspired and unimaginative bureaucrat like Iger but I am repeating myself.

Funny to see people get so worked up over nothing. No one said they're leaving out the classic trilogy.

Here is what Iger said - "I slowed it all down so what we come forward with will have a blend of the past, present and maybe the future."

And, in any event, the new movies pull right from the classic trilogy.

In the short teaser trailer alone, you've already got Tatooine, stormtroopers, x-wings, lightsabers, the Milennium Falcon...and we know several of the original characters will be in, at least the first, sequel.

jmmc

I think his suggestion that they are waiting may make some sense. I know it feels like now that SW is all theirs they would hurry and make new rides, etc, but with the new ones coming so soon, why not wait a little? If Ep 7 comes out and there's some new iconic scenes or settings that people are excited over, and a new attraction may present itself.

It does make me think about the ideas back in '99 that Star Tours would become all podracing or whatever. If they had planned too early and given us rides that people turned out to not be thrilled about, it could've been terrible. Remember the plans early in the life of MGM Studios anticipating Dick Tracy would be a big hit?

I do think people are misreading things here a bit. I don't think the idea is "things from all previous movies are banned". They just don't want to miss an opportunity the new movies could give them. If everyone hates the new movies, then they can change their minds and give us "Return of the Jedi: The Ride." :) I don't think waiting for new movies would necessarily apply to non-ride changes to the park, like a themed area or restaurant.

gmajew

Premium Member
Ok then lets talk about the state of Hollywood Studios in the mean time. If no construction is going to go on and no new rides or attractions for 5 years how is this park going to make it? As much as you and I hated AI and BL they were people eaters and time killers. What is the park going to do to keep people in it for even half a day?

Kman101

Toy Story Playland apparently and a third track for Toy Story Midway Mania. And likely some other Pixar ride/s. Nothing has been officially confimed except for TSMM. And I've yet to see anyone TRULY confirm the Playland. I guess Spirit but even then, they could always change their mind so until walls go up and construction starts ... Someone needs to start dropping some knowledge.

And eventually people will actually SEE the Great Movie Ride and it's getting refreshed (not to the extent most want but it's getting a smart tie-in with TCM).

Even if they announced Star Wars tomorrow it still wouldn't be finished until 2019/2020. I'm leaning towards 2019 simply for the fact that it's the 30th anniversary of DHS but not that anniversary's matter to them anymore. And 2021 is Magic Kingdom's 50th. It's not ideal but even if they started construction this year or last year we still wouldn't get it for at least three years and they aren't going to take away the shine on Avatar Land.

Not justifying them in delaying Star Wars but if they truly DO do it right, I'm OK with it.

Although to be fair, most construction takes three years so I'd venture we see Pixar expanded (2015-2018), followed by Star Wars (2016/2017-2020). There's elements of Star Wars, IMO, they could do first like a Cantina, the Falcon ... but the question is, will they? Probably not. I'm NO insider so the dates are SPECULATION on my part. Do not take any of that as gospel please. I'm basing it off of their 3 year construction mantra. Although I'd prefer to see them knock that down to 2 years. I'm sure Toy Story Playland wouldn't really take 3 years.

righttrack

I trust JJ Abrams will do the franchise justice. His track record speaks for itself, and I think his vision for the franchise makes him one of a few -- if not the only -- person I trust to do a great job with Star Wars.

He did great with the casting for Star Trek, despite the complaints of some fans. He really wasn't building the universe forward though. He was filling in the backstory (and he blew up Vulcan!). Taking this forward is the scary part. Fingers crossed!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Ok then lets talk about the state of Hollywood Studios in the mean time. If no construction is going to go on and no new rides or attractions for 5 years how is this park going to make it? As much as you and I hated AI and BL they were people eaters and time killers. What is the park going to do to keep people in it for even half a day?

Does not matter, As long as the gate clicks keep up does not matter if people leave 5 minutes later.

Kman101

Oh they care I bet, just in the sense they want you spending money IN the parks. I don't believe clicks matter as much as what's being spent by guests.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Forget FP+ for rides... I'd want a FP+ only star wars park. Capacity capped, book your days ahead of time, keep the experience awesome inside. Onsite resorts get an earlier window... limit # of admissions per days of tickets bought.

They won't do it... but that would be my pitch :)

I want a full star wars immersion experience.. start to end.. and I won't get that as just a land or few attractions in a larger park.

Sue_Vongello

This girl ain't buying it.

Very convenient of Iger to say the reason for the postponing was to incorporate stuff from the new movies, like they don't have some idea of what will be in the movies?!

I am sure the postponement had nothing to do with the massive overbudget MM+ ... nothing at all ... they just were "so concerned about the fans ... making sure the fans didn't leave the theater from the new movies and not see it in the attractions" ... ignore the years and years and years and countless fans who have been dying to experience things from the original trilogy ...

What a bunch of hooey.

PhotoDave219

This girl ain't buying it.

Very convenient of Iger to say the reason for the postponing was to incorporate stuff from the new movies, like they don't have some idea of what will be in the movies?!

I am sure the postponement had nothing to do with the massive overbudget MM+ ... nothing at all ... they just were "so concerned about the fans ... making sure the fans didn't leave the theater from the new movies and not see it in the attractions" ... ignore the years and years and years and countless fans who have been dying to experience things from the original trilogy ...

What a bunch of hooey.

I am the last person to defend Bob Eiger… I really am.

But if you look back at everything that I've been saying for six months and everything that 74 and others have been saying, i'm sad to say that this is been Disney's game plan all along.

It's not a postponement at all. It's been their M.O. All along. They've never had any intention of opening a Star Wars part of the park any sooner than what we are currently discussing…

So damn frustrating. 2019?!? 2020?!? For crying out loud Glendale, get your stuff together!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom