News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
From the main WDWMagic page on this announcement: "It is 100% immersive, and the story will touch every single minute of your day, and it will culminate in a unique journey for every person who visits."

Not sure what is unclear about that.

Expect CMs in Ewok costumes to snuggle with at night!

I'm thinking all guests will need to arrive at a predetermined time, and all will check out at the same time. Remember - This isn't going to be your typical Disney resort, where guests are coming and going throughout the day. People coming and going break the illusion. Your "typical day" breaks the story. My interpretation of this new resort is you will be following a "script" or set of tasks, unique to each guest staying at the resort during each "story". This doesn't lend itself well to a leisurely morning cup of coffee, a workout, a run, etc.

I've helped run massive LARPs at role-playing conventions. There is no need to have everyone together. In fact, you want to tend to avoid that except for a few announced times for a big event. As people show up and sign in, they get the info they need. They can start role-playing right away and working on their tasks, or come back later.

You can make sure everyone who registers is given a schedule (e.g., captain's dinner at 7 PM at which major announcements and drama happens). Then as they check in, they can still do as much or as little as they want until that big event. If they check in at 9 PM... oh well, they missed the first big event. There will be others...

Aren't the windows replaced with TVs to make the space scene? I don't think I'd ever be comfortable in a room with no windows.

They say you can see space, but not how. You can have a bank of rooms facing a wall 20 feet away onto which there is a projection.

Do they really need to stick to the gimmick that closely in every room though? I'd think a not insignificant number of people would like to stay at the hotel but have some fresh air and sunshine. They could probably even charge extra for it if they wanted.

It. Is. Not. A. Hotel.

It's is an entertainment experience that runs for three days and two nights (assuming timelines previously mentioned on the surveys holds). Instead of leaving the event to go your hotel room in some other building, your quarters are right there. If you're registering for the accommodations, you're registering for the wrong reasons.

If you book a cruise and they're all out of verandah rooms, well, you just got six nights in a room in which you can't open the window. And if all that's left is an interior room, you don't got a window at all. And if you don't want that, you don't book the cruise.

I'd think that has a potential for disaster, not everyone is going to want to play along 24 hours a day. It would make more sense to have the "interactive" breakfast at set time like you say, but then everyone else can show up when they want. Especially at the prices they're going to charge, I can imagine people losing their minds if they're late to breakfast and don't get to eat.

If you don't want to play in a all-day event, you don't sign up for it. Get a room elsewhere and go to SW:GE where the role-play is very light and easily avoided.

I guess we'll see, but it's hard to imagine Disney turning down the money of people who would pay through the nose to stay there but still want to vacation at their own speed.

Yeah, they do that all the time with their cruise lines. They don't let people off the ship while out on sea. They're very adamant about it, too.

I'm not saying they lock you in and bang on your door if you don't want to come out to role-play. But they're not going to let people check-in for one night no matter how much money you have. It is not a hotel.

Maeryk

I think this is going to be themed, from the ground up, like a star cruiser. It's not going to be like "here's a regular hotel lobby, here's a concierge desk, here's guest services." and then the carpet changes and a couple of star wars logos slapped on the wall as you move towards the "Theme" part of the resort.

And it's going to be a MUCH deeper level of theming than a building style and matching uniforms.

I guess you'll be able to hang in your room and watch the holotank for two days if you want, dialing up blue milk from room service, but I can't really see why anyone would want to, consider the price of the place.

But it's not like, a hotel with some activities. The entire thing will appear, to everyone in it, to be a fully operational battle st.. er.. spaceship. So all the views of "outside' will be of space. Not of florida parking lots. All of the things going on around you will be geared to a storyline, which then has branches and twists for people who want to follow them.

As long as those branches don't include herds of kids thundering up and down the halls doing MagiQuest all night long. (lookin at you great wolf lodge.. lookin at you...and your ridiculously loud construction techniques).

On deeper though, sure, there will probably be a gym inside somewhere, and a pool. And maybe even a running track. But it's not like you are going to be able to pop out the big glass doors on the front of the building and go for a jog easily, nor slide a hidden window open on your room, etc.

Dunno. We'll see. With the amount of time and effort they are investing in the 360 concept, I think people are just expecting a "better" resort. and I don't think that's what this is.

The_Jobu

Expect CMs in Ewok costumes to snuggle with at night!

I've helped run massive LARPs at role-playing conventions. There is no need to have everyone together. In fact, you want to tend to avoid that except for a few announced times for a big event. As people show up and sign in, they get the info they need. They can start role-playing right away and working on their tasks, or come back later.

You can make sure everyone who registers is given a schedule (e.g., captain's dinner at 7 PM at which major announcements and drama happens). Then as they check in, they can still do as much or as little as they want until that big event. If they check in at 9 PM... oh well, they missed the first big event. There will be others...

They say you can see space, but not how. You can have a bank of rooms facing a wall 20 feet away onto which there is a projection.

It. Is. Not. A. Hotel.

It's is an entertainment experience that runs for three days and two nights (assuming timelines previously mentioned on the surveys holds). Instead of leaving the event to go your hotel room in some other building, your quarters are right there. If you're registering for the accommodations, you're registering for the wrong reasons.

If you book a cruise and they're all out of verandah rooms, well, you just got six nights in a room in which you can't open the window. And if all that's left is an interior room, you don't got a window at all. And if you don't want that, you don't book the cruise.

If you don't want to play in a all-day event, you don't sign up for it. Get a room elsewhere and go to SW:GE where the role-play is very light and easily avoided.

Yeah, they do that all the time with their cruise lines. They don't let people off the ship while out on sea. They're very adamant about it, too.

I'm not saying they lock you in and bang on your door if you don't want to come out to role-play. But they're not going to let people check-in for one night no matter how much money you have. It is not a hotel.

Cruise ships still let you do what you want at your own pace. Opt in/ opt out. Sunrise/ sunset. If you really think Disney is going to build this resort and turn away all the people willing to pay huge amounts of money to stay there, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it, I just don't see it.

Maeryk

Cruise ships still let you do what you want at your own pace. Opt in/ opt out. Sunrise/ sunset. If you really think Disney is going to build this resort and turn away all the people will to pay huge amounts of money to stay there, that's your opinion.

I think you underestimate the number of trufans around the world who will be lining up for years to get into this unique experience.

I don't think they'll have the space to "turn away" money. It's gonna be packed. And for a long time.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Right. Why does- "I want an hour in the morning for me-time." immediately equate to-
"I don't want to be part of this cool experience"
??lol

No one is saying you're forced to role-play. No one is saying you can't take a nap. No one is saying you can't leave. No one is saying you can't be a wall flower and just observe. Stop arguing as if they are.

We're saying if you come to do that... and not participate in the role-play at all... at. all. Then you're just wasting your money. And you're taking up the space of someone who would have wanted to participate and made the experience better for everyone there.

The_Jobu

I think you underestimate the number of trufans around the world who will be lining up for years to get into this unique experience.

I don't think they'll have the space to "turn away" money. It's gonna be packed. And for a long time.

They can have both though, very easily. It seems unlike them to say no to that.

21stamps

I think this is going to be themed, from the ground up, like a star cruiser. It's not going to be like "here's a regular hotel lobby, here's a concierge desk, here's guest services." and then the carpet changes and a couple of star wars logos slapped on the wall as you move towards the "Theme" part of the resort.

And it's going to be a MUCH deeper level of theming than a building style and matching uniforms.

I guess you'll be able to hang in your room and watch the holotank for two days if you want, dialing up blue milk from room service, but I can't really see why anyone would want to, consider the price of the place.

But it's not like, a hotel with some activities. The entire thing will appear, to everyone in it, to be a fully operational battle st.. er.. spaceship. So all the views of "outside' will be of space. Not of florida parking lots. All of the things going on around you will be geared to a storyline, which then has branches and twists for people who want to follow them.

As long as those branches don't include herds of kids thundering up and down the halls doing MagiQuest all night long. (lookin at you great wolf lodge.. lookin at you...and your ridiculously loud construction techniques).

On deeper though, sure, there will probably be a gym inside somewhere, and a pool. And maybe even a running track. But it's not like you are going to be able to pop out the big glass doors on the front of the building and go for a jog easily, nor slide a hidden window open on your room, etc.

Dunno. We'll see. With the amount of time and effort they are investing in the 360 concept, I think people are just expecting a "better" resort. and I don't think that's what this is.

Yes, but even like MagiQuest shuts down at 10 or 11pm.. I'm sure the SW Hotel activitities will end.. OR be Optional.

Maybe some end at 7, or 9, or 10.. or later.. but at some point families will have their own time to choose what they want to do.

I definitely think there will be options and this will not be a one size fits all experience every waking hour.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Cruise ships still let you do what you want at your own pace. Opt in/ opt out. Sunrise/ sunset. If you really think Disney is going to build this resort and turn away all the people willing to pay huge amounts of money to stay there, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it, I just don't see it.

I said: I'm not saying they lock you in and bang on your door if you don't want to come out to role-play...

What part of that do you not understand? Of course you can sleep in if you want. Who is making the point they will force you to role-play? Quote that for me please.

The_Jobu

I said: I'm not saying they lock you in and bang on your door if you don't want to come out to role-play...

What part of that do you not understand? Of course you can sleep in if you want. Who is making the point they will force you to role-play? Quote that for me please.

Why would I quote that when I'm not saying that? I think you should re-read what people have been posting.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you really think Disney is going to build this resort and turn away all the people willing to pay huge amounts of money to stay there, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it, I just don't see it.

That's not what you are asking for. You're asking for Disney to teardown/dumbdown the core experience to accomodate a less interested, non-target audience because they have some money they are willing to spend. For a product... Disney won't have any trouble finding people who ARE interested in the core experience.

So again, back to my walking path example. You don't put a walking path on the roller coaster because some people don't want a roller coaster. You send those people to your other attractions that DO match their interested.. and take their money there.

Maeryk

hmm.. interesting. Does Disney do any "all inclusive" stays anywhere else currently? Are the cruises? It looks from the surveys (which floated a price point of 1000 per person for two nights), that that might be the concept.

The_Jobu

That's not what you are asking for. You're asking for Disney to teardown/dumbdown the core experience to accomodate a less interested, non-target audience because they have some money they are willing to spend. For a product... Disney won't have any trouble finding people who ARE interested in the core experience.

So again, back to my walking path example. You don't put a walking path on the roller coaster because some people don't want a roller coaster. You send those people to your other attractions that DO match their interested.. and take their money there.

I'm asking for something? I must have missed that.
I want them to tear down something? No, don't think I said that.

A ride inside a theme park you've paid entry to has little comparison to living in a resort, so I'm going to continue to disregard whatever point you were trying to make there.

Disney could make a mid-sized resort with this elite 24/7 experience to cater to hardcore fans and sell out. They can also accept all the other fans that dont want to spend their vacation in windowless boot camp AND they don't have to pay CMs to facilitate their activities. I'm guessing they'll go with the easy money on the table.

MurphyJoe

And if it isn't packed, Disney will likely do what they've done at the parks with limited time offerings or a rescript of the experience to entice repeat business; not to mention the ability to play with the daily rate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom