Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThemeParks4Life

Its just being held in the wrong time of year. The middle of summer does not need an attendance boost at DTD. Plus the heat. I wanted to go but there's no way I'm outside in the middle of the day. Too damn hot.
Yeah, I'd probably go again if it was held in the fall, I can't stand going outside at events like these in the summer.

Skip

I just gave you a 53rd like for that post. Is that a record?

You said what clearly a lot of people were thinking and you said it soooooooooo much nicer than I would have!

I kind of figured one of your or Lee's posts at some point would have beaten that record, but who knows...

I was pretty peeved when I wrote that... so I would pay cold, hard cash to see your tear-down. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
IMO - I think it's even bigger than that. Once you break the 'we ONLY do Disney' mentality.. the door is open for the other parks too. So maybe you only do 2 days at UNI.. but now that you are on the 'outside' of the Mouse's trap.. you might consider Discovery Cove, etc.

Disney built up their walls with the bus service... UNI's continued success could be the leak.. that leads to a full on break in the levee.

This is it, largely. Once folks realize that there's life beyond the Pixie Dust encrusted archways of death, that's when everyone from UNI to SW to the Red Lobster to the Premium Outlets start doing even better. Disney doesn't want guests to ever leave its mousely grasp. Once you're off property for ANY reason, they've lost and this is the view they have had since the early 90s.

NoChesterHester

I agree with this post to some degree, but I'm going to say it doesn't matter whether the rabid SW fans are as crazy 365 days as they are in limited time. ... UNI didn't build WWoHP just to capture the fanbois. They wanted to capture as many people as they could with a quality product. Just like I've said with Avatar ... The quality of IP can help, but it's ultimately the quality of the theme park product that will drive visitorship for years to come.

Do I think the fervor of SW is overstated by the same Disney fanbois who understate Potter's? Absolutely. Does it matter? Not at all provided the product speaks for itself.

Well stated. If you build it because there is a rabid fan base, you are missing the mark. While they are an important part of your loyal customer base, they are a small minority when compared to the general populous that you hope to appeal to.

Sort of related, I have a theory on Star Wars fans and why Star Tours 2.0 wasn't the run away attendance booster they were hoping for.

1. It was poorly marketed in the southeast outside of the circles that already follow Disney or Theme Parks closely. I guess they just expected people to seek out the news. Yes, there were billboards once you got near Orlando, but those people are coming anyway. Was it a licensing issue? I saw Disney commercials on TV during that time featuring sappy music and little girls in soft focus hugging princesses and riding a carousel. People didn't travel to see it because they didn't know they were supposed to. Disney was busy marketing nostalgia.

2. It is really the same ride and building since the early 90's when it was installed. Yes, the update is fantastic and needed, but because it was rumored for 10 years it almost felt overdue. While the 3D is nice, there weren't many left on the east cost that hadn't been on it before. At least that was the perception (see #1).

2b. There was no additional place making involved. It wasn't recognizable as new from the outside and that is a problem. This combined with the lack of advertising didn't cue people into that there was a reason to visit. The Star Wars fans that did come, rode the ride and there wasn't anything else to keep them there. To believe that they should have kept buying a ticket and coming back again and again just to ride a single ride (no matter the randomization) is just silly.

3. We are in a new age where the new rides are expected to be this large escapist realm. Harry Potter obviously is the gold standard, but to a lesser extent that is why Star Wars weekends is so wildly popular... and crowded. There is more to the franchise in the park on those weekends. It feels like something Star Wars more than just one building and a mediocre store. And as for the "familiar faces" comment... at least the same people are still coming. Has Star Wars weekends really added anything in a decade? Perhaps and I'm just out of the loop. People still come and seem to love it.

4. Do you think Disney message board fins whine? Then you have never dipped your toe into a place like TheForce.net. Wow. Star Wars fans are especially critical and hard line. Everything sucks except their specific very narrow view of the franchise. While Star Tours is very well thought of in their fan community, it is referred to as old hat. They expect quality, they expect more media to consume. They hate it when Lucas would pawn out the franchise to cheap spin offs. They will applaud quality and consume it heavily.

5. While Star Wars is huge, the crazies, just like with Disney, are not enough to alone generate a noticeable sustained attendance jump. The crazies tend to save their pennies while living in their Mom's basement for that one big event a year. They don't miss it. They just can't generate enough turnstyle clicks. The general public... see #1-3.

The real benefit of Star Wars is that the public as a whole recognizes it and loves it. Build a fully immersive land with multiple attractions and they will come.

Magenta Panther

I hope the Muppets stay! I don't care how it is done! They need to stay!

Now Spirit, with that "2nd" option, are you suggesting that they may bring back from the dead the Muppets Great Movie Ride?

I certainly welcome it! ;)

Frankly, I'd bet a cookie that would never ever happen. Why would Diz tear down one expensive theater and build an even more expensive dark ride for those characters?

Skip

Frankly, I'd bet a cookie that would never ever happen. Why would Diz tear down one expense theater and build an even more expensive dark ride for those characters?

Because they've invested heavily into the money-making property (with a new film out next year) and will continue to do so? Gee, it's almost as if you don't like The Muppets or something.

PhotoDave219

I missed that while actually being there ...that must have been a hoot to see online.

I think we were maybe 100 feet apart on May the 4th.... We all thought it was bull(pooh!) in my group but optimisim spread when good sources of info started discussing it. It was a fun party.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The long lines for merch is really only the first day of the event, as well. The first Friday the tent gets multihour lines from the eBay sellers. After that you can walk in.

And so much stuff, even alleged LE, winds up at Cast Connection and the outlets soon after ...every year, like clockwork.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think Disney has any interest in proving you wrong.

New attractions that are tied to popular movies or concepts are pre-sold which makes them more appealing. But if Disney built an attraction that wasn't tied to an IP, it could still work. Soarin', Expedition Everest and Mission: Space are all examples of relatively recent attractions that weren't based on a movie. I think the execution for both could have been better (especially M:S).

Disney can do it. They just don't want to.

Absolutely, they can.

Look at the two new E-Tickets in Hong Kong.

Studios Fan

The real benefit of Star Wars is that the public as a whole recognizes it and loves it. Build a fully immersive land with multiple attractions and they will come.

I completely agree with all of your points. The key is to build an immersive experience. Hopefully they invest the money and effort that is needed on this expansion.

WDW1974

Original Poster
New Fantasyland was detailed here way before it was announced. Do a search and you will see.

I'll go much further than that, Steve. ... I first heard of it in 1999 when a massive redo of the entire land was first proposed to Eisner and Pressler by Tom Fitzgerald and Eric Jacobson (also think Kim Irvine was involved at the time, but would have to double check).

Some of us, myself included, were surprised by the timing and how the project 'evolved' but the fact Disney was looking at Fantasyland in a big way wasn't a shock.

yeti

Am I right to not be awfully worried to hear "value-engineering" in this context? Because it seems like reusing old infrastructure is a definite smart move, and if done right, may not necessarily result in plywood stood-up backdrops.

BTW, I am definitely not posting to shamelessly plug the Tokyo Disneyland "trip report" I just started, which you can find right here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/tokyo-disney-reflections-and-photos.867393/

WDW1974

Original Poster
Why, thank you. I do my best.:)

As always, I try to provide what information I have in a timely and accurate manner.
Things change, sometimes multiple times, but I never knowingly spread false info. Everything is accurate at the time it is posted.

As I said earlier, it's Disney. They could do a 360 and announce a giant UP! land for AK and Wal-E at MK.
But right now...the plan discussed here is "reasonably close" (a source's words) to what is moving forward at the moment.

But remember if Disney changes even one small detail, you are a lying liar who lied ... And who likes to make things up to cover for other shortcomings ... At least that's what Mrs. Lee just told me to type.:D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nobody had me snowed. If you check back you'll see that I wrote that Transformers was coming and that it wasn't a year-round haunt. Now I'm saying, as of now. these rumors are accurate.

And the bulb turns on and further illuminates ... Missed ya!

And we all know Transformers is just a lie and it's never going to happen!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom