Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

rioriz

Hmm well maybe I have missed something in the past 5 years I have been there. Standing on the bridge facing the ToL is more magical to me

Cody5242

I
Moving on to MVMCP. It is an event I regularly skip. I have now gone maybe five times and paid once (back in '97). I hadn't been in about eight years.

My thoughts on the event are likely artificially high by those facts, and that the fall has been a blur and I haven't been much of a holiday Spirit (a mass murder in an elmentary school isn't something that gets you ready to hear 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree' for the 800th time). But Mickey and the gang were able to work their MAGIC on me to some degree. I had a great time (with one exception) and I didn't even ride one Mountain (can you believe that? I can.) It was largely about seeing/evaluating the Christmas entertainment. At least the MK, unlike EPCOT, feels like Christmas. The decorations/tree may be exactly the same as they were 20 years ago, but they're there.

I would tell people to attend the event IF it was in place of a one-day ticket/visit. Because they now let you in for the party at 4 p.m. you can get an eight hour day plus extra entertainment all at a discount (significant discount most nights).

While the cast members were friendly, they weren't exceptionally so and a few seemed to be bah-humbugging their way through their shifts.

I wish I could say the entertainment was fresh, but I can't ... well, except for me. I had never seen Holiday Wishes from inside the MK before because of my aversion to hard ticket events and/or visiting Christmas week. And that's a pretty spectacular show.

Celebrate the Seasons has been playing on the castle stage since ... well, many of the members here likely were not born when it started. The only change I noted was the use of the articulated foamheads, which either improves the show or makes ir creepier depending on your view.

The best new thing at the MK is truly new. And lhat's the amazing Celebrate projection show that replaces The MAGIC, The Memories and ME! This is a winner and a stunner and I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't gotten more props from fanbois because it's a helluva lot more impressive them whatever they call the new Mermaid ride (why do they now need to have sentence long names for attractions?) ... This technology is just amazing and while it's been used to great success in Paris and Hong Kong, the prior show was a sappy mess that often was showing out of focus pictures of strangers that were supposed to be taken that day, but were often reused over and over and over again.

This show has heart and classic Disney characters and the mapping projections are amazing. Some of the show is borrowed from DLP's Dreams and DCA's WoC and the prior WDW show, but much is new and it is a great show ... having the holiday tag was a bonus. But I'd gladly skip Mermaid on a visit to see this show if it was an either or deal.

The Totally Tomorrowland Christmas show was totally new to me since it was added to replace the much superior Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas, which didn't have a venue when they needed to expand parking and demo'd the theater so Phil wouldn't have to walk so far when he's around. Is it the worst show I've ever seen in a Disney park? Nope. Was it good? Not really. Basically harmless.

Beyond the Celebrate the Magic show and Holiday Wishes, the highlight for me was Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. Now, I realize I am acting like a newbie who goes to the MK, sees something that isn't new and says 'WDW has never been better, Lou's right!' But I haven't seen this parade in person since it was Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade, so the soundtrack and some of the floats etc was new to me. It certainly didn't feel as tired as DL's Christmas Fantasy Parade, which I saw last year for the first time since 2007 and left me longing for a replacement.

I did quite a few attractions too. But the night wasn'u about that.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention seeing the now truncated CBJ before the park closed to day guests. Yes, they improved the sound (still not an good as Tokyo, though) and the show certainly felt 'hacked' to me. Remember this was done not to curb walkouts (a la Tiki Room), but to get higher guest counts by having more shows daily.
Also, kudos to Skipper Josh for a great Jungle Cruise that included some unexpected extra time on safari due to some issue at the dock.
I totally agree with you about celebrate the magic. It had a lot of nostalgia and had great music. My mom even said its one of the most beautiful things she's ever seen. Btw what was your view of Tomorrowland during ur visit?

articos

I would call ST a significantly upgraded ride, but not a "new" ride. And the changes greater than the Spider-man upgrade. But I have to admit that I was a little disappointed at how similar ST1 and ST2 were. I do like the random options though. But when I got off I was like, "Well it's still Star Tours". Star Tours is still Star Tours. How is that a "new" ride?
I have to agree. DM is a building gut with the exception of the motion base platforms. ST is a new software/ridefilm package, queue re-theme and soft refresh. Not quite the same. ST 2.0 is a significant update, and a very well done one, but not a new ride to the extent DM is. Simpsons is more in line with what was done with ST, but even there...the experience is the same as it was for BTTF, but the scenic overhaul was more extensive, as opposed to the ride experience being redone to a larger extent for ST, but the scenic was a light refresh.

articos

Moving on to MVMCP. It is an event I regularly skip. I have now gone maybe five times and paid once (back in '97). I hadn't been in about eight years.

My thoughts on the event are likely artificially high by those facts, and that the fall has been a blur and I haven't been much of a holiday Spirit (a mass murder in an elmentary school isn't something that gets you ready to hear 'Rocking Around the Christmas Tree' for the 800th time). But Mickey and the gang were able to work their MAGIC on me to some degree. I had a great time (with one exception) and I didn't even ride one Mountain (can you believe that? I can.) It was largely about seeing/evaluating the Christmas entertainment. At least the MK, unlike EPCOT, feels like Christmas. The decorations/tree may be exactly the same as they were 20 years ago, but they're there.

I would tell people to attend the event IF it was in place of a one-day ticket/visit. Because they now let you in for the party at 4 p.m. you can get an eight hour day plus extra entertainment all at a discount (significant discount most nights).

While the cast members were friendly, they weren't exceptionally so and a few seemed to be bah-humbugging their way through their shifts.

I wish I could say the entertainment was fresh, but I can't ... well, except for me. I had never seen Holiday Wishes from inside the MK before because of my aversion to hard ticket events and/or visiting Christmas week. And that's a pretty spectacular show.

Celebrate the Seasons has been playing on the castle stage since ... well, many of the members here likely were not born when it started. The only change I noted was the use of the articulated foamheads, which either improves the show or makes ir creepier depending on your view.

The best new thing at the MK is truly new. And lhat's the amazing Celebrate projection show that replaces The MAGIC, The Memories and ME! This is a winner and a stunner and I'm a bit surprised that it hasn't gotten more props from fanbois because it's a helluva lot more impressive them whatever they call the new Mermaid ride (why do they now need to have sentence long names for attractions?) ... This technology is just amazing and while it's been used to great success in Paris and Hong Kong, the prior show was a sappy mess that often was showing out of focus pictures of strangers that were supposed to be taken that day, but were often reused over and over and over again.

This show has heart and classic Disney characters and the mapping projections are amazing. Some of the show is borrowed from DLP's Dreams and DCA's WoC and the prior WDW show, but much is new and it is a great show ... having the holiday tag was a bonus. But I'd gladly skip Mermaid on a visit to see this show if it was an either or deal.

The Totally Tomorrowland Christmas show was totally new to me since it was added to replace the much superior Mickey's Twas the Night Before Christmas, which didn't have a venue when they needed to expand parking and demo'd the theater so Phil wouldn't have to walk so far when he's around. Is it the worst show I've ever seen in a Disney park? Nope. Was it good? Not really. Basically harmless.

Beyond the Celebrate the Magic show and Holiday Wishes, the highlight for me was Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. Now, I realize I am acting like a newbie who goes to the MK, sees something that isn't new and says 'WDW has never been better, Lou's right!' But I haven't seen this parade in person since it was Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade, so the soundtrack and some of the floats etc was new to me. It certainly didn't feel as tired as DL's Christmas Fantasy Parade, which I saw last year for the first time since 2007 and left me longing for a replacement.

I did quite a few attractions too. But the night wasn'u about that.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention seeing the now truncated CBJ before the park closed to day guests. Yes, they improved the sound (still not an good as Tokyo, though) and the show certainly felt 'hacked' to me. Remember this was done not to curb walkouts (a la Tiki Room), but to get higher guest counts by having more shows daily.
Also, kudos to Skipper Josh for a great Jungle Cruise that included some unexpected extra time on safari due to some issue at the dock.
I actually think the Castle projection show looks great, and is a bit of a mess. They also could have used the castle much better with incorporating various mapping effects. BUT...it's a castle show, it's gorgeous, has some nice emotional moments and I'm glad it's there. :)

articos

Seven pages since the middle of the night? They love me ... they really, really love me! (cupid smiley anyone?)
Not sure I will have time to read them all tonight, so wanted to put some more news/thoughts/observations down while they are fresh.

First, let's start with MK and New Fantasyland. It's nice to look at. Very. Nicest part of the MK now. But it largely lacks substance. And the new Princess Hall meet-greet-and-grope and the mine train coaster are not going to do more than fill out the project. Rode Mermaid twice ... exactly the same as in Anaheim with one piece of nicer animation that is more than off-set by shoddy workmanship (as soon as you board and rotate backwards on the right side you see a wall that doesn't go all the way down to the floor leaving a gap of about 18 inches ... whether YOU notice, doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't be that way), poor lighting, exposed ceiling and electrical and effects that already don't work (seriously, Disney, are the eels NEVER going to work? too complicated? too pricey?)

Some will, and many have, talk about the improved showbuilding and queue from Anaheim and they'd be correct. It's nice and detailed and quality. But there's a reason why it's that way and it's called FP+. In Anaheim, even on holiday weekends, I've never seen waits more than 15-20 minutes. On a Christmas Party night in late afternoon, I arrived to a 30-minute standby, which I only entered so I could walk the queue. I think most rational people would say 'I'd rather no queue or a plain queue than a nice one set up specifically to create lines where there shouldn't be any' but maybe I'm wrong. During the party, I walked by and saw 20 minutes posted, but didn't believe that. Sure enough, it was a walk on.

I question the placement of the kiddie coaster as far as sightlines and such, but feel like waiting to see more development before commenting more.

The thing about Mermaid is it sorta has become the headliner of the 'new' land and it just can't carry that load. It isn't 1995.It isn't DCA where you have so many new things that it is just a very small part of a redo/expansion. The attraction isn't as appealing or MAGICal as ET at UNI, something that opened in 1990. It's just very plastic.

Wanted to do Storytime With Belle, but not wait 50 minutes to do so, so I didn't.

I did walk into Bonjour Gifts, which is nice and has themed merchandise (want to do an over/under on how long it lasts?). Experienced the new restrooms and walked into Gaston's, which is quite nice (sort of a tiny Three Broomsticks type of place), but feel the menu is being forced. From the porkshank, which holds no interest for me, to the LeFou's Brew. You can't force these things and think you'll have butterbeer. It either is organic or it isn't.

Speaking of organic, the land certainly has more aspects of a park esthetic. Trees ... rocks ... flowing water. It certainly is quite an improvement over what Fantasyland has been. But is it better than a Skyway floating over a lagoon of crystal clear water lined by volcanic rock and palm trees? We all have our opinions.

Mine is the MK needed something and this is definitely something. But was it the right thing? If you have young girls, or are a Disney fanboi, quite probably. Beyond that? YMMV.

No, the eels will never work. And "very plastic" is exactly how I describe Mermaid. It's all hard, spinning plastic things. Including you, in your clam. Better than Skyway over the lagoon? No. You did unfortunately miss the best thing about NF though, if you weren't able to at least stick your head in BoG. The interior of the place is absolutely WDI at their best. Gorgeous.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Other quick hits:

Cosmic Ray's ='s worst MK meal I have had in ... I don't even know when. $9.59 for a turkey sandwich that can best be described as the crap I picture folks buying in eight pound packages at Sam's Club ... low quality salty (why do so many people love to put salt on food without even tasting it? just a Spirited tangent) processed crap on soggy thick bread with the worst fries I think I've ever had. Salty, soggy crap. Went here because they leave very little open during MVMCP and I wasn't in the mood for a Pecos Bill burger. BIG, BIG mistake.

How is it that Disney can't get something so basic right? I was going to return the damn thing, but had already eaten half of it and felt a little guilty (why when Disney lets people walk out of stores with merchandise they didn't pay for is beyond me, guess good quality breeding!)

PoC has mermaids now. Does it add to the attraction or just further muddy the waters? I don't even know with NEXT GEN enhancements on the way.

Guess we can talk about Tron Track when next I post again (short review if you have boy parts down below, you'll probably like this).

Goofyernmost

Star Tours crushes Simpsons, IMNSHO.
But, that may be because I was fond of Back to the Future.

That was one awesome attraction. Made Star Tours and Body Wars seem stationary. :eek: If I recall Universal in general, it would be for their queue lines. They where so clever as to how they hid the actual size of the line. BttF had you going back and forth till you got dizzy. And don't get me started on King Kong. That was undoubtedly the most deceitful queue on the planet. You would see it from the outside and it looked manageable then all of a sudden you would take a right turn and be in this enormous tent like structure that was 10 times larger then the visible line, not to mention what you faced once you got inside. It was a very creative and clever ride but you used up half your vacation just to ride it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Also, I don't believe that the number of attractions is the only thing that counts. Of course if you can't get on any ride, that makes the day not a success. But I also believe that a lot of little things have an influence of how people rate their experience - some of them might not even be noticeable. Like background music. I am sure only a small percentage of average guests would say that the wonderful music made their day more magical. But if you take it away, I am also certain that the overall experience would be lessened for most people and they might not even know why.

I agree. I went to the Studios and didn't ride anything. I saw the very strange new Jack Sparrow attraction, which likely is showcasing what SDL's PoC ride will feature instead of those pricey, pesky AAs (sorta like monorails, Disney really has an issue with something that once set it apart from all others) ... and I saw the Ozzy and Sharon Way Kewl LightFest. But I realize I am not as OCD as some and the thought of being in a park and skipping rides isn't something for everyone.

But BGM is very important and there were some issues at EPCOT with that. Basically, it was dead from Canada until you hit the International Gateway one day and dead on the bridge (some would say appropriately so) from FW to the tree at night. Certainly something I noticed immediately.

Goofyernmost

I agree. I went to the Studios and didn't ride anything. I saw the very strange new Jack Sparrow attraction, which likely is showcasing what SDL's PoC ride will feature instead of those pricey, pesky AAs (sorta like monorails, Disney really has an issue with something that once set it apart from all others) ... and I saw the Ozzy and Sharon Way Kewl LightFest. But I realize I am not as OCD as some and the thought of being in a park and skipping rides isn't something for everyone.

Well, like it or not, AA's are out and Holograms are in. It's the future, today! :) The times they are a changin!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Boo to that!

The main reason I don't go in offseason is the crappy hours. Want to run reduced hours? Reduce those ticket prices too.

I don't think the parks need to be 1-3am every night.. but mixing that in is nice. When I'm at the park in the June heat... 11-12pm is a great time to be in the MK.

What blows is having parks close at 9pm and then walking around going 'now what do we do??'

I would agree. The hours have gotten all crazy (partially to save on labor, partially due to EMH). In the 70s, the MK would regularly stay open 9-1 (9-2 on weekends) for all. In the 80s, MK and EPCOT both had late hours (although to be fair, an MK October might be 9-6 every day of the month with no fireworks at all). ... From the mid 90s to about 2003, the trend was to greatly reduce hours. Since then, it has been to add hours, but largely at MK or thru EMHs.

Hell, even this Christmas there are bizarre hours ... there simply is no need ever for a 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. day at the MK. What would one do? Anyway, I see EPCOT closures at 10:30, which hasn't happened in many years and 11 p.m. Studios closings and even unheard of 9 p.m. DAK closures.

But with the holidays falling on Tuesdays this year, many folks are off through 1/7, yet once we hit 2013, Dlsney immediately cuts hours with DAK, Studios and EPCOT pretty much all going back to regular hours and MK staying open until 10 that week. If I was taking a holiday vacation the first week of January, I might not be so happy that there really aren't holiday hours there.

JLW11Hi

Well, like it or not, AA's are out and Holograms are in. It's the future, today! :) The times they are a changin!

By who's standards...the guests or management? I am sure guests would love to see new AA technology used in parks instead of the older ones that populate most of the attractions. But holograms are probably cheaper...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom