Spirited News and Observations and Opinions ...

Goofyernmost

Yep, the AA's are all looking very old, dated and as if they belong in a museum. Faster they are replaced, the better.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that, but that is what is happening. AA's were what made Disney Parks, Disney Parks! Without them the charm and uniqueness of the parks will be hurt That said, I do think that Walt, himself, would have followed that path, because he was always into the next big thing and that is certainly one of the "next big things" or current big things considering they are there now.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I agree. I went to the Studios and didn't ride anything. I saw the very strange new Jack Sparrow attraction, which likely is showcasing what SDL's PoC ride will feature instead of those pricey, pesky AAs (sorta like monorails, Disney really has an issue with something that once set it apart from all others) ... and I saw the Ozzy and Sharon Way Kewl LightFest. But I realize I am not as OCD as some and the thought of being in a park and skipping rides isn't something for everyone.

But BGM is very important and there were some issues at EPCOT with that. Basically, it was dead from Canada until you hit the International Gateway one day and dead on the bridge (some would say appropriately so) from FW to the tree at night. Certainly something I noticed immediately.
I'm assuming you were making a joke.

I wonder how many people will read your post and make that connection. We will be having to correct them for years because of their misinformation.

For those who have already made that connection: The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights has no connection whatsoever to Ozzie Osborne.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Keep in mind, FP+ has not been fully rolled out yet, nor has NG. We don't know the plans in place for day-guests, just what's being speculated on and rumored. The company obviously does want to steer people to on-property rooms, because they have a lot of them, and that's where the cash-cow is. But there is a plan in place for day-guests, as well, and it doesn't do the company any good to ignore or shortchange them. We just don't know the full picture yet.

From what I gather, Disney doesn't know the full picture yet either. They have plans, many plans, some similar, some different ... but right now we have lots of crowing about replacing every single door lock with RFID readers and tap to pays at some locales across property. But they want to prop up room load levels by pushing people into staying on property as opposed to doing what I did (pay $86 for TWO deluxe caliber rooms 15 minutes away).

flynnibus

Premium Member
But with the holidays falling on Tuesdays this year, many folks are off through 1/7, yet once we hit 2013, Dlsney immediately cuts hours with DAK, Studios and EPCOT pretty much all going back to regular hours and MK staying open until 10 that week. If I was taking a holiday vacation the first week of January, I might not be so happy that there really aren't holiday hours there.

I'm talking Ms Flynn to DLR for the first week of Jan. Not only do we get midnight closures, all the christmas entertainment is still running.. and.. none of the candlelight processional BS. Win, Win, Win.

EPCOTCenterLover

I've seen port of entry and it is cool. It's not fantastic like walking into Cars Land from the Wharf at DCA, but it is neat. Does it compare to New Fantasyland? i'll let you know in about 5 years or so when I go back to WDW after something AMAZING is added to Epcot!

Goofyernmost

By who's standards...the guests or management? I am sure guests would love to see new AA technology used in parks instead of the older ones that populate most of the attractions. But holograms are probably cheaper...

At this point in time, I'd say it's a mixture of both. It has to be cheaper and that's a plus for management, but even I find the hologram technology interesting. I don't think there is a sufficient return on investment to just upgrade the older AA's for newer ones, but Holograms, are pretty new to the parks and I have heard so many people say that they can't wait to get back and check out the new Pirates show in DHS.

nytimez

Why all the ho-hum about Mermaid? It isn't the greatest attraction, and they certainly could have done better on it in some areas, but as far as Fantasyland attractions go...isn't it kind of the best one? I mean, the characters on Peter Pan's Flight don't even move.

I'd take a ride on Pan over Mermaid any day. small world, too, for that matter, although a few months ago small world had so many broken or just plain missing figures that it was in even worse shape than Splash Mountain.

JLW11Hi

At this point in time, I'd say it's a mixture of both. It has to be cheaper and that's a plus for management, but even I find the hologram technology interesting. I don't think there is a sufficient return on investment to just upgrade the older AA's for newer ones, but Holograms, are pretty new to the parks and I have heard so many people say that they can't wait to get back and check out the new Pirates show in DHS.

Sounds cool. I haven't seen the holograms in this show, so hopefully they really do impress.

JLW11Hi

I'd take a ride on Pan over Mermaid any day. small world, too, for that matter, although a few months ago small world had so many broken or just plain missing figures that it was in even worse shape than Splash Mountain.

But why? Mermaid is brand spankin' new and has some really nice scenes and animatronics. Peter Pan's Flight is certainly charming, but why so strong a difference in quality between the two in your mind?

Mickey2minnie1

We do not use EMH. We stay clear of those parks because we do not do hoppers either. I found a great condo offsite and want to book for June, but this fast pass thing worries me. I know summers are crowded to begin with, but if they do roll out the FP for onsite guests I would rethink. Ahhhh! I do not know what to do now. WWYD?? We are talking June. How much notice do you think they would give?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Loss of EMH is of no concern of mine. Even when I stayed on site I never used it. I know it's just me but staying out until 3 AM or even 1 AM in a theme park is something the my brain cannot even process. My body tells me that I should be sleeping during that time and that is what it does. The only time in my life that I ever stayed out that late I was either drinking or working (or maybe both, I don't remember). All I know is that by doing that the next day was lost to me. I couldn't focus or muster up the ambition to do anything and there is one thing I will not do is waste valuable daylight when at WDW. Besides my feet start to really hurt after about 8 hours and I must give the dogs a rest.

There are two types of people, early birds and night owls. I am a Spirit of the night. The idea of going to bed at 10 p.m. while on vacation to get up at 5:30 and run down to grab coffee is as unnatural to me as lowering prices is to Disney. A perfect theme park day for me might begin at 6 p.m. It may begin at noon. But unless I'm in Tokyo it won't be starting before 10 or 11 a.m. at the earliest.

lazyboy97o

Why all the ho-hum about Mermaid? It isn't the greatest attraction, and they certainly could have done better on it in some areas, but as far as Fantasyland attractions go...isn't it kind of the best one? I mean, the characters on Peter Pan's Flight don't even move.
I'd rather ride "it's a small world" and Peter Pan's Flight, maybe even The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh depending on my mood. Now I have not fully experience the wonder that is the new queue, but I doubt it would change much of my opinion of the attraction.

nytimez

But why? Mermaid is brand spankin' new and has some really nice scenes and animatronics. Peter Pan's Flight is certainly charming, but why so strong a difference in quality between the two in your mind?

Hard to say - I'm ridden Mermaid in both DCA and Florida, and the ride just doesn't carry me off the way Pan does... so a lot of it is just subjective "feel." I - and I think I'm not alone in this - always feel a little removed from reality in Pan when we float over London. There's no scene in Mermaid that does it to me.

That said, Mermaid is NOT an awful ride. It's just not an especially good one, either. When I was in DCA over the summer I was with my daughter, who was 6 at the time. Prime target for this ride, right? We were there - at DL and DCA - for a full week, and while she wanted to ride plenty of rides again and again (and again and again and again), she had zero interest in going on Mermaid again after the first time. Not just that day - the entire trip, despite the ride being a walk-on the entire time.

I know that's anecdotal, but that to me says the ride is missing something on some level.

Goofyernmost

There are two types of people, early birds and night owls. I am a Spirit of the night. The idea of going to bed at 10 p.m. while on vacation to get up at 5:30 and run down to grab coffee is as unnatural to me as lowering prices is to Disney. A perfect theme park day for me might begin at 6 p.m. It may begin at noon. But unless I'm in Tokyo it won't be starting before 10 or 11 a.m. at the earliest.

And that would be why you're the Spirit and I am not! :p

Dasnowz

there simply is no need ever for a 7 a.m. to 3 a.m. day at the MK.

I agree!!!!! There is not enough time for anything maintenance or cleaning. Look over the railing on the ferries. The side lower rails are covered in gum and nastiness. Ferries run up to 2 hours after park closing. They are the last ones to leave. Bus and monorail all stop long before ferries. When watercraft can be someones first impression of WDW they need to be clean and sparkly. If the boats are being taken into the yards at 4am there is just enough time to refuel and return for morning opening. If a boat is out of service then there will be complaints about long waits to get to/leave the parks.

When we went to DL we always saw CM's in the streets cleaning. If there was any trash on the ground it was immediately cleaned up. At WDW last week I noticed a large grassy area by the castle filled with mickey head "glitter". I notice a lot more trash on main street. I notice few CM in the area cleaning. I saw bathrooms that were nasty. There was trash on the floor. There were over flowing garbage cans.

The long hours also make for sad CM's. I get its a job. WDW is staffed on the thin side. People are working 12 and 14 hour shifts. Most CM's are more abused then ever told thank you. It wears you down pretty quick when you are tired. This leads to less efficient CM's.

I get that guests are paying alot of money to be there as well. Tired guests can be mean to each other and CM's. This causes issues. I saw a confrontation between an older(50ish) lady and child (then child's mother) on the very packed monorail a few days ago. People feel that for what they are paying they will be in the park and use every available minute. WDW does need to have something more for guests in the resorts after hours and yes this is being discussed someplace else.

There will always be someone who thinks they need just one more hour in the park. The parks need downtime so that maintenance can come in and clean and fix things. I used to be one to be there open to close. As time has gone on we only go for a day maybe once a month and we usually are only there 8 hours. I would rather have shorter hours and a clean sparkly park.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I see Epcot hasn't changed in terms of the holidays for little decorations from the time I went there in 2010. The only difference was the lights working at the time. People now know why I have no plans of going to WDW for the Holidays for the next 5 to 10 years. The only way I would came back is If Disney cleans up their act for lack of decorations at some of the parks including Epcot. I have been comparing TDO to the grinch when it comes to Christmas decorations matter of fact.

I recall standing with Kevin Yee three years ago at EPCOT talking about how sprase the decorations were ... how they didn't even pay for garland on the lightposts ringing WS Lagoon. What has changed? Remember how angry folks were about the LoW going away, while others were sure they'd be replaced by some new option in the next year or two (I had even heard rumblings)? ... It's now 2012 and EPCOT is barely decorated.

I noticed some garland strung on the aquculture tanks in Living With the Land and was shocked ... then saw some decorations on a few plants and realized that was likely done by the area manager with his/her own funds.

Now I know why everytime I visit Property Control they are always selling old Christmas decorations. ALWAYS.

Did I mention that Erin Youngs and TDO wants to do two Food and Wine Festivals because EPCOT is all about Food and Beverage sales now? And that Flower and Garden having food booths this year is sorta a beta-test?
I gots so much info that it is just like projectile vomiting of the O-Town theme park scene.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Did I mention that Erin Youngs and TDO wants to do two Food and Wine Festivals because EPCOT is all about Food and Beverage sales now? And that Flower and Garden having food booths this year is sorta a beta-test?
I gots so much info that it is just like projectile vomiting of the O-Town theme park scene.

Wouldn't surprise me if World Showcase didn't become the "PI" of the future given the non happenings of Hyperion Wharf and the success of WS as a drinking venue. This is pure speculation backed up with nothing but random observation....

JLW11Hi

Hard to say - I'm ridden Mermaid in both DCA and Florida, and the ride just doesn't carry me off the way Pan does... so a lot of it is just subjective "feel." I - and I think I'm not alone in this - always feel a little removed from reality in Pan when we float over London. There's no scene in Mermaid that does it to me.

That said, Mermaid is NOT an awful ride. It's just not an especially good one, either. When I was in DCA over the summer I was with my daughter, who was 6 at the time. Prime target for this ride, right? We were there - at DL and DCA - for a full week, and while she wanted to ride plenty of rides again and again (and again and again and again), she had zero interest in going on Mermaid again after the first time. Not just that day - the entire trip, despite the ride being a walk-on the entire time.

I know that anecdotal, but that to me says the ride is missing something on some level.

That is interesting, because I had the exact opposite experience with my girlfriend at DCA. She wanted to get back on the ride right after we got off. Also anecdotal, but also says something.

Is there anything specific you can point to? For instance, I wish the Mermaid ride had done more to hide the lights and ceiling in some scenes, and overall I wish they had pushed the traditional dark ride technology more, like incorporating a trackless car system instead of doing the old omni-mover that we've seen before. But compared to the older dark ride attractions, I just don't see how Mermaid doesn't compete in these areas.

JLW11Hi

I'd rather ride "it's a small world" and Peter Pan's Flight, maybe even The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh depending on my mood. Now I have not fully experience the wonder that is the new queue, but I doubt it would change much of my opinion of the attraction.

Again, can you provide specifics?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom