Someone is Selling Restaurant Reservations....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
A good 10 years late to the party…

Yup but even I was surprised at HOW negative some of the posts were there, I think Disney is disappointing a LOT of people these days and hardcore Disney fans are becoming disgusted with the 'Going out of Business' vibe which permeates WDW these days.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Yup but even I was surprised at HOW negative some of the posts were there, I think Disney is disappointing a LOT of people these days and hardcore Disney fans are becoming disgusted with the 'Going out of Business' vibe which permeates WDW these days.

How do they think we got here?

Also.... And here's an unpopular opinion - I enjoy Disney a lot more when I don't let it dominate my life.

2004-2009 weren't bad. Weren't great but weren't bad. 2010-now? The nickel and diming of the guests - while making record profits - are out of control and finally people are taking notice.

Alas at the end of the day, what important to me is that every guest gets the ability to make (and be disappointed by) their reservations equally.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Most of them are upset with Disney for removing their vehicle to keep their snowflakes dreams come true, same as fb

Agreed - but it's quite telling that there is this much negativity towards Disney, I'm negative because of a string of bad experiences but many parents cannot spend days on the computer attempting to get a reservation for some special place for their kids, Yet Disney is running the restaurants in a minimum staffing mode while there is HUGE pent up demand for more dining or simply more operating hours for existing venues. It's supply and demand and the demand is far outstripping supply, Yet WDW lets dollars fly over their head while saving pennies on labor cost.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
How do they think we got here?

Also.... And here's an unpopular opinion - I enjoy Disney a lot more when I don't let it dominate my life.

2004-2009 weren't bad. Weren't great but weren't bad. 2010-now? The nickel and diming of the guests - while making record profits - are out of control and finally people are taking notice.

Alas at the end of the day, what important to me is that every guest gets the ability to make (and be disappointed by) their reservations equally.

Agreed, 2004-2009 were NOT bad but as you say from 2010 on it has been just obscene and people are finally noticing, It's like when Gordon Behune took over Continental from Frank Lorenzo's Texas Air conglomerate, His comment was 'How much cheese can you take away before it stops being a pizza' in reference to Lorenzo's constant cost cuts and lack of maintenance.

At DL there is no 180 day insanity you walk up and wait for a seat, Even the QS places have real plates and silverware unless you ask otherwise and there is plenty of capacity to go around.

mousehockey37

Agreed - but it's quite telling that there is this much negativity towards Disney, I'm negative because of a string of bad experiences but many parents cannot spend days on the computer attempting to get a reservation for some special place for their kids, Yet Disney is running the restaurants in a minimum staffing mode while there is HUGE pent up demand for more dining or simply more operating hours for existing venues. It's supply and demand and the demand is far outstripping supply, Yet WDW lets dollars fly over their head while saving pennies on labor cost.

As far as some place special for their kids... You're going to be in freakin' Disney World. Bam, special enough. If you're able to snag the character dining, great, if not, shouldn't kill the trip (especially because you can meet those characters elsewhere during the day). That's the hard part, there's more Katiebug's in the world now.

I don't have kids yet, but when I do, will I probably try and get those places, yes. If I succeed, I succeed, if I don't, I don't. It's nothing to lose sleep over. My family and I will be in Disney World and we'll make the best of it.

I know that my vacation experience is exactly that, mine. It's what I'm going to make of it. Rainy night at Epcot? Not a wash out for me.. put the ponchos on and let's go, etc...

If people would take 2 seconds, stand back and look at what they're trying to do (and see how miserable they're making themselves 6 months+ before they ever step foot in the parks) maybe Disney World could and would be a better place.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Agreed, 2004-2009 were NOT bad but as you say from 2010 on it has been just obscene and people are finally noticing, It's like when Gordon Behune took over Continental from Frank Lorenzo's Texas Air conglomerate, His comment was 'How much cheese can you take away before it stops being a pizza' in reference to Lorenzo's constant cost cuts and lack of maintenance.

At DL there is no 180 day insanity you walk up and wait for a seat, Even the QS places have real plates and silverware unless you ask otherwise and there is plenty of capacity to go around.

Amazing how a lot of this occurred with George K. All the parties, up charges, etc., those are all things he is responsible for.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
As far as some place special for their kids... You're going to be in freakin' Disney World. Bam, special enough. If you're able to snag the character dining, great, if not, shouldn't kill the trip (especially because you can meet those characters elsewhere during the day). That's the hard part, there's more Katiebug's in the world now.

I don't have kids yet, but when I do, will I probably try and get those places, yes. If I succeed, I succeed, if I don't, I don't. It's nothing to lose sleep over. My family and I will be in Disney World and we'll make the best of it.

I know that my vacation experience is exactly that, mine. It's what I'm going to make of it. Rainy night at Epcot? Not a wash out for me.. put the ponchos on and let's go, etc...

If people would take 2 seconds, stand back and look at what they're trying to do (and see how miserable they're making themselves 6 months+ before they ever step foot in the parks) maybe Disney World could and would be a better place.

When you DO have kids - answer the same question when your kid bugs you 20 times per day about eating at Cindys or some other place, I'm pretty sure you will be driven to distraction as well and will have an uncharitable opinion towards Disney's operating practices...

mousehockey37

When you DO have kids - answer the same question when your kid bugs you 20 times per day about eating at Cindys or some other place, I'm pretty sure you will be driven to distraction as well and will have an uncharitable opinion towards Disney's operating practices...

Well, that's also a chance to be able to say that I tried and use it as a life lesson that you can't always get what you want. I'm sure I'll keep trying regardless, but should it not happen, it's not something I'm going to curse Disney over. There are just certain in-demand venues that not everyone can get.

Yes, a princess breakfast would be great, but if we could meet those princesses later in the day and my kids have a better experience than the "rushed greetings" that are so often talked about, I'll take the meetings during the day over the meal.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, that's also a chance to be able to say that I tried and use it as a life lesson that you can't always get what you want. I'm sure I'll keep trying regardless, but should it not happen, it's not something I'm going to curse Disney over. There are just certain in-demand venues that not everyone can get.

Yes, a princess breakfast would be great, but if we could meet those princesses later in the day and my kids have a better experience than the "rushed greetings" that are so often talked about, I'll take the meetings during the day over the meal.

Yes it can be a good life lesson I agree, Our touring style has always been relaxed and FP+ and ADR's have not figured large in our plans and most times we eat in the room or offsite recently because the insanity of the new reservation systems is not fun in the least.

mousehockey37

Yes it can be a good life lesson I agree, Our touring style has always been relaxed and FP+ and ADR's have not figured large in our plans and most times we eat in the room or offsite recently because the insanity of the new reservation systems is not fun in the least.

I agree. When my girlfriend and I went last year, we planned the trip on short notice, got a couple of ADR's, but the other times, we just ate quick service. We rented DVC and did a grocery stop, so lunch and snacks were in the room. Out of 5 park days, we had 2 or 3 ADR's total for the trip. Everything else was just on the fly. I'd prefer that style anyway because it doesn't tie you down to a certain park or a charge on a CC should the weather be bad or you just change your mind. Also, we're the kind of people that when it's hot and humid, yeah, we're not exactly ready to sit down for a full fledged meal. Give us a basket of chicken strips and fries from Cosmic Rays with a soda and a water and we're good, lol.

willtravel

My prediction...reservations will still be very difficult to get. This will have a nil effect on guests ability to get reservations. It was an ill gotten gain for a company and it is good they got swatted by the mouse but the issue really is still the ratio of guests to dining venues. 410:1 rooms to dining venues and that is only counting onsite lodging.
Are you speaking of table service and quick service? I was just looking 5 quick service restaurant's that are open seasonally in MK. I vote Tortuga Tavern open all the time. :)

copcarguyp71

Are you speaking of table service and quick service? I was just looking 5 quick service restaurant's that are open seasonally in MK. I vote Tortuga Tavern open all the time. :)

Sorry...Should have stipulated TABLE SERVICE...this whole thread is about reservations so I kinda thought it was implied with regard to reservations.

mousehockey37

This is one of the comments on the side of the DDS facebook... "Please tell me the Disney monsters didn't get you too. I can't login without getting an error." Others are saying they're still getting alerts though, but nothing from them on the fb page. Below it is another one "You have no idea how much easier you have made my life. I will die if you get shut down."

This is just fun to watch now.

LdyApxr

I have kids, and I have taken 3-4 extra nieces and nephews from the time they were 6/7 on up and perhaps it was my parenting style but my sons and my nieces and nephews never asked more than 2x because they knew from prior to any trips with me that pestering me was the quickest way to NOT get what they wanted and now they are all adults(with the exception of my 17yr old son who is more adult than some adults) and some of them have children, they have the same parenting style. Throwing fits, asking 20 times, temper tantrums get you nowhere in our family. But that was in place long before we ever went to DLR so it was not a surprise to be treated the same way no matter where we went.

Jon81uk

Maybe Disney needs to add a waitlist feature to the ADR. So if there are no ADRs for a restaurant, the first 100 people to sign up to the list get an alert when a slot opens up. They would need to limit the size of the waitlist as otherwise it would get to a length where you have no chance of getting anything.
My gym class operates a similar system, there are 40 spaces in each class, if I don't get one I can be added to waitlist and they assign me a a space when someone else cancels, then emails me. I can still then cancel up to 24hrs in advance. Sometimes the class is marked as full so I assume they limit the waitlist to avoid disappointment.

Basically make the alert sites worthless by offering it yourself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom