Should All Nighttime Offerings Be Separate Ticketed Events?

Should All Nighttime Offerings Be Extra Ticketed Events?

• Definitely, YES!

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Not sure right now, but most likely yes!

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • NO. Never!

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Perhaps maybe, but certainly not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I REFUSE to vote in this poll.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

HauntedMansionFLA

Why stop at nighttime shows? Toy Story Midway Mania is a really popular ride, so they should upcharge that also, it would give Disney extra revenue and would benefit patrons with shorter lines. There should also be an admission fee just to get in the door of Be Our Guest. When the Frozen attractions open in Epcot, the Norway/Arendelle pavilion should also be an upcharge.
You never know' this might happen. One thing that I could see happen down the road. Using the magic bands to schedule all over your rides for the whole day. No fast pass line. Plan everything down to the minute.

HauntedMansionFLA

I wouldn't say never again, if TWDC got their act together and started caring about the parks and consumers of the parks enough to make some tough sacrifices like reducing overall park capacity and stopped treating guests like sardines or like numbers on a balance sheet I'd buy an AP again.
They might start to pay attention if people keep cutting the cord and ESPN earnings start to go down.

rucifee

WDW got rid of me, I was a freeloader that bought 10 day non expiring tickets. Some times i didn't even stay at a Disney hotel. I would stay at a friends house for a long weekend hitting the parks buying only one meal all day, brought my own water and snacks. I think for the four of us that might have only been $200-$240 a day when we did that.

I dropped almost $1,000 on Christmas gifts after my discount at WDW this week. Last year I'll be doing that, at least for a while. Their loss.

drew81

After reading this thread TDO will probably try something like this(think Villains Unleashed) and then it will bomb and be forced to do tons of refunds.

Arthur Wellesley

Original Poster
After reading this thread TDO will probably try something like this(think Villains Unleashed) and then it will bomb and be forced to do tons of refunds.
Or they could try a "Pay-per-firework viewed" plan, where those who simply can't or do not want to shell out extra $$$ for the entire performance of Wishes, ROE, etc...can elect to watch portions of the show at a smaller cost based upon the number of launched fireworks witnessed. Of course, this would simply have to rely on the honor system, as it would be virtually impossible for CM's to monitor.

Last edited:

epcotisbest

Or they could try a "Pay-per-firework viewed" plan, where those who simply can't or do not want to shell out extra $$$ for the entire performance of Wishes, ROE, etc...can elect to watch portions of the show at a smaller cost based upon the number of launched fireworks witnessed. Of course, this would simply have to be run on the honor system, as it would be virtually impossible for CM's to monitor.
Well now you are making sense. Pay per boom, kinda like pay per mile on the express lanes on the freeway. Only pay for what you use. No need to build those covered holding pens. And pretty simple to implement with the magic bands. Have each fireworks explosion added to your debit or credit card that is tied to your magic band. If you are inside the park when fireworks start going off the charges start adding up. Outside the turnstiles, no charge. If you leave early, you only pay for the fireworks that went off while you were there. Brilliant.
Now the next project...urinals that charge by the ounce.

DHoy

I can't believe this is an actual discussion. Theres no logistical way this could ever work. A better idea to reduce congestion and increase capacity is start enticing people to watch fireworks and parades from alternate viewing areas. Fireworks - Tland near space mountain and frontier land. Parades - in Town Square. Those are great areas and are almost never congested even during busy times of year.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I can't believe this is an actual discussion. Theres no logistical way this could ever work. A better idea to reduce congestion and increase capacity is start enticing people to watch fireworks and parades from alternate viewing areas. Fireworks - Tland near space mountain and frontier land. Parades - in Town Square. Those are great areas and are almost never congested even during busy times of year.

You don't have enough faith in what can be achieved...
1.JPG

Arthur Wellesley

Original Poster
I totally get a lot of what you're saying. But the point is that nighttime extras such as fireworks were not meant to be seen by the general masses. Why do you think Walt positioned Fantasmic so far off the beaten path, and in a remote corner of DHS when it first opened? The idea of cramming a vast majority of guests into one area is not only a burden to those present, but a complete waste of extra revenue Disney could be obtaining by charging for said guests to be there. But I do see what you're saying though. Spreading the guests out would help as well.

DHoy

I totally get a lot of what you're saying. But the point is that nighttime extras such as fireworks were not meant to be seen by the general masses. Why do you think Walt positioned Fantasmic so far off the beaten path, and in a remote corner of DHS when it first opened? The idea of cramming a vast majority of guests into one area is not only a burden to those present, but a complete waste of extra revenue Disney could be obtaining by charging for said guests to be there. But I do see what you're saying though. Spreading the guests out would help as well.

You do realize
1. Fantasmic opened over thirty years after Walt died. So he didn't put it anywhere.

2. Fantasmic at Disneyland is performed right along the Rivers of America in New Orleans square in front of all those guests.

3. Fantasmic was built in a custom theatre to avoid crowd flow issues seen at Disneyland.

None of the nightly shows are being given away for free. They're built into the cost of admission. And frankly any presumed increase in revenue by up charging for Fantasmic... Unlikely you are going to get 8,000 people to pony up the cost of the show plus any marginal profit. Per wiki its cost 25k likely more. So you'd need to charge around $40 a head. And on the other end, the cost of the lost business of those customers who no longer find value in visiting a park that has no nighttime entertainment. Look at Magic Kingdomm on party days as an example. There's a reason only 15-25,000 people come to magic kingdom on those days instead for 50-60,000. There's no financial sense in removing nightime entertainment from the cost of admission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom