Scenes from the Road

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I love this! To prep for the Goofy I took my camera with me to practice running with it and here's where I run. I in Burlingame, CA and run along the bay and see everything from wooded areas to marinas. It's pretty fun.

I think that's about it. I mostly run on bike trails and sidewalks that follow the water's edge.
WOW! Puts my run to shame. *double like your post*

joel_maxwell

Thanks! Really the bay area is a runner's paradise. I can run hills, by the water, or in neighborhoods depending on the day. Also, the weather is good for running 85% of the time, not too cold, not to hot.
Very nice.... as I look out my kitchen window and it is 20 degrees. *I like the cold, I like the cold* that is what I tell myself at least. LOL

Katherine

Very nice.... as I look out my kitchen window and it is 20 degrees. *I like the cold, I like the cold* that is what I tell myself at least. LOL

Grew up in Ohio and went to college at Syracuse in New York (Go Orange!) so I feel for you. In Syracuse I just resigned myself to the treadmill for the winter because I was nervous about slipping on the ice.

joel_maxwell

Grew up in Ohio and went to college at Syracuse in New York (Go Orange!) so I feel for you. In Syracuse I just resigned myself to the treadmill for the winter because I was nervous about slipping on the ice.
Luckily we dont get that but once a season here, and that is for maybe 2-3 days, but it is the days when it is 50's and sunny during the day and then 20's at night. Getting up and running at 5am, you hit the low. Not that 20 is a deal breaker, but when it teases you with 50's and sunny the day before and you know that is coming that day, 20's feels like 0. ;) At least to us Alabamians.

Ran last night in mid 30's and was the most pleasant run.

Katherine

Luckily we dont get that but once a season here, and that is for maybe 2-3 days, but it is the days when it is 50's and sunny during the day and then 20's at night. Getting up and running at 5am, you hit the low. Not that 20 is a deal breaker, but when it teases you with 50's and sunny the day before and you know that is coming that day, 20's feels like 0. ;) At least to us Alabamians.

Ran last night in mid 30's and was the most pleasant run.
My blood runs very thin now. That's cold! I've become such a wimp, I haven't had a "real winter" in 2 years now... and I like it that way :D

Sumrdog

Wow these are great pictures! Makes me kind of jealous. If I could figure out how to upload a photo from my phone, you all could see why. My run is beautiful but pretty snowy this time if year. My last outdoor run it was about 15 degrees out. Makes layering quite tricky! But I so hate the treadmill...

joel_maxwell

Well, at least the dog is getting exercise. I cant blame him, he is probably 80. Real nice guy in a community across the street that is doing a lot of building. Hence the red clay, gravel and no homes.

photo (2).JPG

Katherine

While not a "scene" from the road, I did smell "Rome Burning" while out for my run yesterday. I'm guessing it's not really a good thing to smell that smell in a residential-ish area.

a2grafix

More scenes from the road from Downtown Memphis. I am amazed that there are at least three running clubs putting on weekly road races all parts of four seasons, from 5ks to 10ks, half and full marathons, to off-road trail runs, and even some of those modified Spartan / Mud / Warrior Dashes through the woods (they suggest you don't wear your new kicks on these races). In the five months I have relocated to Memphis I have noticed that downtown is quite the urban jungle and a lot of these race clubs incorporate many of the streets and city paths I run into actual race routes. Now I map out my own runs using some of their routes.

And this is an area I really like. These shots are from the south end of downtown along the Mighty Mississippi. In fact I ran across a foot bridge Saturday, Feb. 16, in the MoveItMemphis 5K and 10K. I ran the 10K, but it was cold! Chilly. About 30-31 F with a strong NW breeze. These pix were snapped on Jan. 18, the Friday before I traveled down to Baton Rouge for the Louisiana Half Marathon. Late afternoon and dusk run. Perfect out - mid-50s. Just beautiful.

This is taken on the foot bridge overlooking Riverside Drive. About a half mile behind (if you follow the black truck) is I-55 connector that splits to St. Louis or Jackson, Miss. The path on the left joins up to the foot bridge and pretty much takes you to the foot of the "M" bridge far off in the distance some 2.5 miles down Riverside in the shadows of the Pyramid.

2013-01-18_17-03-55_708.jpg

Same view, on the other side of the foot bridge. To the right, the houses and condos - those are what is called "The Bluffs." Memphis is also called "The Bluff City."

2013-01-18_17-12-18_899.jpg

Behind the previous shot, a few meters down the path overlooking the Mighty Mississippi and the I-55 / I-40 bridge into Arkansas.

2013-01-18_17-14-14_828.jpg

Say hi to Mr. Barge steaming down the Mississippi toward Vicksburg or Baton Rouge or New Orleans.

2013-01-18_17-10-10_435.jpg

sweetpee_1993

Good grief! If there were places that scenic to run here I'd prob'ly run more like all of you do! Wow!

For the ladies, do you feel safe running on wooded trails alone??? That's one of my biggest things is that I do not want to be on trails that have stretches of total out of eyeshot of lots of people. Especially when running around dusk or dawn. I don't feel safe alone. Ya know?

Kristia

Original Poster
Good grief! If there were places that scenic to run here I'd prob'ly run more like all of you do! Wow!

For the ladies, do you feel safe running on wooded trails alone??? That's one of my biggest things is that I do not want to be on trails that have stretches of total out of eyeshot of lots of people. Especially when running around dusk or dawn. I don't feel safe alone. Ya know?

I try not to run alone and most times, Dan comes with me. The only time I get a little apprehensive is when I run at work. I work out in the middle of nowhere and the road that I run on isn't traveled much. In the summer it gets busier as there is a state park with a lake at the end but we get a lot of local yahoos speeding down the road and some are not the most savory of characters! I always carry my phone and let someone know that I am going out and when I should be back. It is a problem I think about too. Stinks we have to think about things like that!

JillC LI

I don't either. Whenever I run on trails, I always have either my hubby or dad on a bike keeping me company. It's too bad because trails are so much more scenic, and I can't get anyone to join me on a bike once the weather gets colder - or even when it's too hot. So I'm limited to once in awhile during the Spring and Fall.

Katherine

As long as it's not dark out, I usually feel comfortable running alone. If I"m doing and out an back I try not to get too far out before turning back. However, most of the places I run are well traveled by others or residential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom