[RUMOR]: Grand Floridian Resort to Be Gutted to Become Modern Luxury Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I don't know we normally make our reservations for dinner in the afternoon at the pool and never have trouble getting into the restaurants we want. We normally go for places like the California Grill, Citricos, Yachtsman Steakhouse and the world showcase restaurants. There is always restaurants available. I've never had trouble getting into any of them. For breakfast for example last visit we stayed at Grand Floridian and could always get into the cafe every morning without a reservation. We did do breakfast at the Garden Grill one morning at Epcot but was able to make that reservation the night before.
Grand Flo Cafe is wonderful for breakfast. Great room, good food, quiet, and you can booze it up.

ryguy

One thing I always hated about the rooms at GF are the thin walls. You can easily hear the people next to you as well as those in the hall. It's probably the worst on property for this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Pleakley

If "modern" simply means an update and not a change of aesthetic, then I would be onboard. It does not need to be truly luxury no, but just brought back up to today's equivalent of what it was in the 90's. (Like uhh, everything else.) My only concern would be then stripping away too much character. Even as it exists now, I think much of the hotel is too generic. Their old rooms were ugly but at least they attempted to match the theme. They could continue to do so with some small, attractive touches. And I don't think dressing the main building back up would kill anybody. They spent the 2000's trying to push that the hotel wasn't stuffy to the point where it doesn't feel special anymore. When I was a young child, my parents always got me dressed up to eat there. I have lots of keepsakes from the resort then, such as the classy custom children's menus and fancy straws. They were still perfectly accommodating to families, but even at four I knew I was somewhere swanky. Now, you're just at another hotel. I can't say I've felt anything for a while that differentiates it.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Here is a recent review from Trip Advisor of a loyal Grand Floridian guest who cancelled his reservation for the Four Seasons. Disney is definitely losing guests to the Four Seasons.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUse..._Resort-Orlando_Florida.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

This is why Disney does extend any of their resort perks to Four Seasons to guests despite being on property.
Assuming you meant "does NOT extend..." I believe WDW will sell those amenities to hotels on property... they sell guest EMH access to Shades of Green.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Could they shift the existing DVC room stock into the main GF buildings à la WL or Poly?
I still contend that WDW's ultimate plan is to turn the whole property and all its hotel rooms into one huge DVC resort. Anyone staying off-site will then essentially become a "stand-by guest."

DDLand

I still contend that WDW's ultimate plan is to turn the whole property and all its hotel rooms into one huge DVC resort. Anyone staying off-site will then essentially become a "stand-by guest."
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but that's not the plan.

Disney seems to be recommitting to hotels after a period of relative timidity. Expansions of inventory at Disneyland are incoming and it shouldn't be long for Walt Disney World too. Iger was pretty explicit that more are coming and it seems like with recent movements at Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs that the game is afoot.

More hotel rooms will come sooner rather then later.

Chef Mickey

Not sure why anyone would be upset about this. The Grand Floridian is a 3 star hotel with 5 star prices. It's in desperate need of a huge redecorating budget, cleaning, and overall huge step up.

I do like the location but I'd rather stay at Bay Lake Tower.

Chef Mickey

I think they are concerned it will become a 4 or 5 star hotel with 7 star prices. ;)
Then it won't matter. It needs to at least be nice and approaching a Ritz style experience. The location can't be better, so I'd understand paying a premium to be that close to MK.

It's not even close to the nicest Disney resort. That's the problem.

I'd rather stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and bus in than GF. Heck, I'd rather stay at Port Orleans French Quarter...

SpaceMountain77

Can they do that? Don't the DVC contracts guarantee those buildings will always be there?

The land lease for the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa condominium association expires January 31, 2064. The contracts could not be more carefully worded. The building itself is assured through the end of the lease, however, the contract states that owners should not purchase with the expectation that amenities, like pools, restaurants, water play areas, and even the theme parks themselves, will persist.

It is worth mentioning that the Animal Kingdom Villas contract specifically states that owners should not purchase with the expectation that live animals will continue to roam the savannas.

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

Could they shift the existing DVC room stock into the main GF buildings à la WL or Poly?

Legally, no. When a DVC ownership interest is purchased, the points are tied to a specific unit. Ownership deeds indicate the unit, number of vacation points, and the percentage share of the unit. Unit numbers do not correspond to resort villa numbers. Moreover, with most DVC associations, one unit might be a block of several villas. Someone would really need to dig, through filings, to identify the resort villa numbers that correspond to their unit.

To raze the entire resort, including the villas, Disney Vacation Development (DVD), would need buy the ownership shares back from the members to which they were sold.

In 2007, Disney Vacation Club launched an extension opportunity for its Old Key West resort. The debacle is still discussed on DVC discussion boards. Some members did not want to pay for an extension, so Old Key West ownership shares may have an original, 2042, or extended, 2057, expiration date. If Disney Vacation Club was unsuccessful at getting 100% of its owners to purchase a 15 year extension, could you imagine how challenging it would be to have approximately 10,000 VGF owners sell back their contracts, which were to come with a lifetime of memories, year after year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom