[RUMOR]: Grand Floridian Resort to Be Gutted to Become Modern Luxury Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

So I don't disagree with Chapek's presence (assuming Tommy Boy didn't just make this up). However, the better question is, "Is this the best way for them to spend money?" That was the crux of the argument against My Magic +. Sure it's an improvement to the previous infrastructure, but the $2 billion could have been better spent.

The thing that appeals to Disney about something like this is that they can easily quantify whether or not they get a return on their investment by increasing the price of a room. It's harder to quantify how much a new attraction is earning the company.

TrojanUSC

So I don't disagree with Chapek's presence (assuming Tommy Boy didn't just make this up). However, the better question is, "Is this the best way for them to spend money?" That was the crux of the argument against My Magic +. Sure it's an improvement to the previous infrastructure, but the $2 billion could have been better spent.

The thing that appeals to Disney about something like this is that they can easily quantify whether or not they get a return on their investment by increasing the price of a room. It's harder to quantify how much a new attraction is earning the company.

Is it the best way? No. It is, however, a bait and switch to many guests which may leave them with a less-than-magical experience. They are marketing (and pricing) their deluxe hotels as plush luxury resorts on par with five star hotels elsewhere in the actual world. That just isn't the case, in terms of amentities, guest service or room quality. If it were, they'd staff the GF with hospitality-trained CMs, offer premium bedding, a nicer-than-bare-bones spa and multiple other offerings. Other than the magic hours and slightly better parking spots for busses, the Waldorf and FS blow the GF out of the water.

As a publicly held company, Disney needs to do everything they can to hold their market share and losing valuable dollars to true deluxe hotels - located on their own property - is not a proposition that will please shareholders.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They are marketing (and pricing) their deluxe hotels as plush luxury resorts on par with five star hotels elsewhere in the actual world. That just isn't the case, in terms of amentities, guest service or room quality. If it were, they'd staff the GF with hospitality-trained CMs, offer premium bedding, a nicer-than-bare-bones spa and multiple other offerings. Other than the magic hours and slightly better parking spots for busses, the Waldorf and FS blow the GF out of the water.
That may be your perception, but I've never seen them compare themselves to true 5-star properties. No, my friend, what we're actually getting is proximity to the parks. No other non-Disney hotel can offer that, and that's what we're paying for. In that vein, and keeping in mind current management's mindset, there's very little ROI for Disney in upgrading/renovating/making-over the GF other than to keep it at least minimally functional, safe and clean.

21stamps

That may be your perception, but I've never seen them compare themselves to true 5-star properties. No, my friend, what we're actually getting is proximity to the parks. No other non-Disney hotel can offer that, and that's what we're paying for. In that vein, and keeping in mind current management's mindset, there's very little ROI for Disney in upgrading/renovating/making-over the GF other than to keep it at least minimally functional, safe and clean.
Oh my goodness, finally someone who realizes this.

Nubs70

If this happens, prices must rise to justify increased operating expenses and maintain margin.

TrojanUSC

Sadly that's just not the case, it is rather what you've come to expect. We're talking about one of the premier vacation resorts in the world, not Great Wolf Lodge. When it was built, the Grand was a flagship hotel, designed to stand out among some of the best hotels in the US, hence its Five Diamond distinction. It was the Disney resort that people who expected the best in luxury would flock to. That distinction has slowly faded away as they simply haven't kept up with the industry or added the minor conveniences that guests have come to expect from such a hotel.

Again, I point out that Disney is seeing their most valuable guests staying essentially off-property for this very reason, partly because there wasn't such options available previously and partly because it has become, for all intents and purposes, a three star hotel at five star prices. They realized it is a problem and obviously have decided to fix some of these problems.

21stamps

Sadly that's just not the case, it is rather what you've come to expect. We're talking about one of the premier vacation resorts in the world, not Great Wolf Lodge. When it was built, the Grand was a flagship hotel, designed to stand out among some of the best hotels in the US, hence its Five Diamond distinction. It was the Disney resort that people who expected the best in luxury would flock to. That distinction has slowly faded away as they simply haven't kept up with the industry or added the minor conveniences that guests have come to expect from such a hotel.

Again, I point out that Disney is seeing their most valuable guests staying essentially off-property for this very reason, partly because there wasn't such options available previously and partly because it has become, for all intents and purposes, a three star hotel at five star prices. They realized it is a problem and obviously have decided to fix some of these problems.

That's like saying Wilderness Lodge is competing with a historic lodge in the Pacific North West. Disney hotels are themed..they aren't in competition or a replicated exact experience of what they represent.

Really, when has any Disney Resort been 5 Star or advertised as 5 star? "Flagship" "Deluxe" even "Luxury" doesn't mean 5 star.
It provides what it's advertised as..a beautiful resort, nice "luxury" touches, wonderful experience.
Sure, a Keurig would be great, the outer building lobbies could use a bit of a face lift.
I'd love for cocktail servers to be walking around the pool..but, I'm ok with getting out of my chair and going to the bar myself.lol. Really, imo it's not a bad hotel at all.

I just don't know what else people are wanting to see.. without the price skyrocketing.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

I agree that clearly the GF was the flagship Disney hotel... but compared to a true luxury brand, they really aren't (and haven't been for decades, if they ever were) in the same class. And I also agree that WDW needs to provide that over-the-top luxury experience for that segment...something more than letting celebs stay in the Castle Suite for their philanthropic endeavors...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I just don't know what else people are wanting to see.. without the price skyrocketing.
I dont think it is a case of what people are looking to see, but perhaps just expecting a more "classy" experience.

After falling in love with YC and staying there two trips in a row, my wife and I decided to try GF (this was around 2007). YC had won us over with its beauty, peaceful atmosphere, stellar customer service and it was ALWAYS spotless. The smell of the lobby alone is luxurious. Leading up to the trip we joked about how GF could become our new favorite resort. We were not expecting Four Seasons type of luxury but we thought that being the flagship resort it would have a few extra touches that YC did not. We had a wonderful trip and the GF was nice, but in the end, we both agreed hands down that YC was far superior in terms of having a "first class" experience.

In fairness, we also both agree that the type of guest who books YC compared to those who book GF are completely different. In our experience, YC is geared towards the more refined guest(s). It is calm and peaceful. Even the children there seem to be better behaved. There is no QS dining, just restaurants.

GF seems to be more geared towards the family looking to have that all encompassing magical experience of being right next to MK. Its more glamour on the surface and has a higher price tag which may give people that feeling that it is "the best" simply because it cost more. And dont get me wrong, it is an excellent resort ad the dining is very nice as well, but the overall experience does not match the "first class" feeling of YC. Again, this in our experience. We are not snobby (well, maybe a little) but having experienced 5 star luxury hotels/resorts (outside of WDW) we feel YC is the "undercover" flagship resort if your looking for a touch of class.

21stamps

I dont think it is a case of what people are looking to see, but perhaps just expecting a more "classy" experience.

After falling in love with YC and staying there two trips in a row, my wife and I decided to try GF (this was around 2007). YC had won us over with its beauty, peaceful atmosphere, stellar customer service and it was ALWAYS spotless. The smell of the lobby alone is luxurious. Leading up to the trip we joked about how GF could become our new favorite resort. We were not expecting Four Seasons type of luxury but we thought that being the flagship resort it would have a few extra touches that YC did not. We had a wonderful trip and the GF was nice, but in the end, we both agreed hands down that YC was far superior in terms of having a "first class" experience.

In fairness, we also both agree that the type of guest who books YC compared to those who book GF are completely different. In our experience, YC is geared towards the more refined guest(s). It is calm and peaceful. Even the children there seem to be better behaved. There is no QS dining, just restaurants.

GF seems to be more geared towards the family looking to have that all encompassing magical experience of being right next to MK. Its more glamour on the surface and has a higher price tag which may give people that feeling that it is "the best" simply because it cost more. And dont get me wrong, it is an excellent resort ad the dining is very nice as well, but the overall experience does not match the "first class" feeling of YC. Again, this in our experience. We are not snobby (well, maybe a little) but having experienced 5 star luxury hotels/resorts (outside of WDW) we feel YC is the "undercover" flagship resort if your looking for a touch of class.
Again, I disagree.lol
I don't think people book GF bc they think it's the "best", I think they book it for convenience and location. IMO Poly is the best- for dining, theme, etc..GF a close second.. both even more so bc of proximity to MK. If Epcot was my focus, like it was in the past, then Yacht or BWI are "the best". (I'm one of a very few amount of people who aren't huge Beach Club fans) I think it just depends on where you're spending more time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's simple.. Grand Floridian has always been the 'pinnacle' of WDW's resorts in terms of luxury.. and since Disney was the best at what it did... many people put 1+1 together and assumed the GF is hence a top shelf, as good as it gets, Hotel experience. But outside the Disney bubble it is not.

It's not hard to see this evolution when so much of the Disney faithful are people who travel to Disney so frequently falling in love with the faux vs actually traveling to see the real thing. In many cases, the sterilized idealized version is better for some as they can get a taste, without any of the negatives (think WorldShowcase).

This mindset is just a byproduct of how Disney promotes its products and how people get looped into the WDW cycles.

Heck, we OWN a beach house only four hours away, and many people 'vacation' at WDW more frequently than I even goto my own beach house. They are that hooked.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Again, I disagree.lol
I don't think people book GF bc they think it's the "best", I think they book it for convenience and location. IMO Poly is the best- for dining, theme, etc..GF a close second.. both even more so bc of proximity to MK. If Epcot was my focus, like it was in the past, then Yacht or BWI are "the best". (I'm one of a very few amount of people who aren't huge Beach Club fans) I think it just depends on where you're spending more time.
Your talking about theme and proximity to the parks which is all subjective and every resort at Disney has theme. Im talking about the luxury experience. Take Poly, GF and YC and plop them in the middle of another state. If a person visited all three and was looking for the classiest experience (sans any Disney theme), I feel YC provides that better than the rest. Sure, Poly and GF have luxurious lobbies, but then you exit and walk to another building to get to your room. Then consider the customer service aspect. Again, in my experience, YC knows the type of client they have staying there and it seems they do a better job of providing a more tailored experience. We have stayed at all three and it was clear that YC treated their guests in the same fashion you would get at 4 Seasons or a true 5 star resort.

At YC, my wife called the concierge and asked for some water to be sent to our room after we checked in. Within minutes there was a CM with the large glass Evian bottle in a champagne bucket with ice. We were expecting a few bottles of water. She tipped him and gave him a big thank you. When we returned to our room later that afternoon, they had placed another fresh bottle in the room for when we returned. That same afternoon I went to the lounge to get a beer. Had a short chat about craft beer with the CM and I mentioned that of all the beer selections they were offering, the Sam Adams was my favorite. For the rest of our trip, every time I walked in the lounge, she remembered me by name and had a Sam Adams ready for me without me asking. One afternoon, when we got off the elevator, the same lady saw me and asked if I wanted some Sam Adams sent to the room since it was blazing hot out. I said sure, and minutes later we had two bottles delivered. We have had experiences like that several times at YC. We have even seen the same CM's over the years and gotten to know them.

After staying at Poly twice and visiting the bar and lounge several times, I was lucky if the guy recognized me after 5 days of seeing me, let alone him remembering what beer I liked. On our second trip to the Poly, we checked in and our reservation was somehow botched as we booked a club level room but when we checked in they didnt have any available. When I spoke with the manager, he just kinda shrugged his shoulders about it. I asked if we could switch resorts and get a club level room where there was one available. He said he couldnt do that. So we went to Yacht Club and explained the situation (very politely) to the concierge (not even the manger) and she got us a club level room and they even set up a luggage transfer.

Im not bashing Poly in any way. Its a great resort, but Ive never had anywhere near the customer service level we have at YC. Th second best (service wise) is AKL, IMO. We have stayed several times and have always been treated very well. Victoria Falls Lounge has an excellent staff, as does the club level concierge as well.

My long, boring point is that in terms of luxury, I think quality service will trump theme and proximity to the parks every time. Having Mickey Mouse silhouettes in the carpet pattern does not make it any more luxurious. Being catered to quickly and being remembered is more along the lines of service you would get a 5 star hotel.

contrariwise

GF seems to be more geared towards the family looking to have that all encompassing magical experience of being right next to MK. Its more glamour on the surface and has a higher price tag which may give people that feeling that it is "the best" simply because it cost more.

We have friends who are like this. They have only ever stayed at GF because their perception is that it's "the best", but they don't really have an idea of what's out there.

21stamps

If I were booking for convenience to MK, I would book Contemporary.
It's not just MK. You have all of the dining options of Poly a quick boat ride away (faster than the monorail from CR) and the walking trail to Poly. One stop to MK on the monorail, 1st stop back on the launch.

I don't feel like the Contemporary has the overall convenience of Poly or GF. They have the walking to MK part.. but the boat back is much easier imo. Especially with an exhausted child.
We have friends who are like this. They have only ever stayed at GF because their perception is that it's "the best", but they don't really have an idea of what's out there.
For me "the best" is ever changing.. based on convenience and what theme I want at that time. I chose GF at Christmas bc of the decorations..a Poly stay didn't interest me during that time of year. One thing great about GF is the chess/ping pong/foosball..the Wishes party is cute and fun, the lawn games are a good time..the chocolates and robes are a nice touch.
But, again, it depends on main motivation of the trip.

Cesar R M

Of course this won't happen... they may improve the hotel, because frankly it does not meet up with the standards of other truly 4 star resorts worldwide, but don't expect them to change anything that would matter to most...they would just improve the overall guest experience...I have stayed there several years back and was quite frankly shocked at the lack of quality bedding and linens.. Aside from the beautiful lobby and location, there was nothing about the room that made it better than a King room at Port Orleans...
So if he plans on truly making it a 4 star resort, then I say Bravo! Please do!
I wonder what price hike will accompany for these gutting and changes.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So....

This rumor originated on That Other Site That Shan't Be Named. It said this rumor was 'picking up steam' and likely if Bob Chapek remains in charge.

So, how's the gutting of the Grand Floridian going?

DanaG

Your talking about theme and proximity to the parks which is all subjective and every resort at Disney has theme. Im talking about the luxury experience. Take Poly, GF and YC and plop them in the middle of another state. If a person visited all three and was looking for the classiest experience (sans any Disney theme), I feel YC provides that better than the rest. Sure, Poly and GF have luxurious lobbies, but then you exit and walk to another building to get to your room. Then consider the customer service aspect. Again, in my experience, YC knows the type of client they have staying there and it seems they do a better job of providing a more tailored experience. We have stayed at all three and it was clear that YC treated their guests in the same fashion you would get at 4 Seasons or a true 5 star resort.

At YC, my wife called the concierge and asked for some water to be sent to our room after we checked in. Within minutes there was a CM with the large glass Evian bottle in a champagne bucket with ice. We were expecting a few bottles of water. She tipped him and gave him a big thank you. When we returned to our room later that afternoon, they had placed another fresh bottle in the room for when we returned. That same afternoon I went to the lounge to get a beer. Had a short chat about craft beer with the CM and I mentioned that of all the beer selections they were offering, the Sam Adams was my favorite. For the rest of our trip, every time I walked in the lounge, she remembered me by name and had a Sam Adams ready for me without me asking. One afternoon, when we got off the elevator, the same lady saw me and asked if I wanted some Sam Adams sent to the room since it was blazing hot out. I said sure, and minutes later we had two bottles delivered. We have had experiences like that several times at YC. We have even seen the same CM's over the years and gotten to know them.

After staying at Poly twice and visiting the bar and lounge several times, I was lucky if the guy recognized me after 5 days of seeing me, let alone him remembering what beer I liked. On our second trip to the Poly, we checked in and our reservation was somehow botched as we booked a club level room but when we checked in they didnt have any available. When I spoke with the manager, he just kinda shrugged his shoulders about it. I asked if we could switch resorts and get a club level room where there was one available. He said he couldnt do that. So we went to Yacht Club and explained the situation (very politely) to the concierge (not even the manger) and she got us a club level room and they even set up a luggage transfer.

Im not bashing Poly in any way. Its a great resort, but Ive never had anywhere near the customer service level we have at YC. Th second best (service wise) is AKL, IMO. We have stayed several times and have always been treated very well. Victoria Falls Lounge has an excellent staff, as does the club level concierge as well.

My long, boring point is that in terms of luxury, I think quality service will trump theme and proximity to the parks every time. Having Mickey Mouse silhouettes in the carpet pattern does not make it any more luxurious. Being catered to quickly and being remembered is more along the lines of service you would get a 5 star hotel.

I would agree with many of the things in here. Mostly about the poor service/pricepoint at the Poly. However, I think the idea that it's only proximity to the parks and not service is totally off. In our opinion there is no comparison between the GF and the Poly. We started a recent trip at the Poly and the service and housekeeping were horrendous. We asked to be moved back to the GF.
-We were attending MNSSHP at the GF and my daughter's dress needed a new battery (tinker bell). Guest Services/Concierge staff helped me find batteries, replace them (needed a screwdriver) and did not charge us for them within a fifteen minute window.
-My mother fell ill at the GF and we needed Med stuff from the store. It was late in the evening, the staff opened the store and got us what we needed.
-GF has a member of bell services escort you to your room, explaining everything going on and highlighting the amenities.
-The lifeguards at the kids splash area were just amazing and Encouraged my son in the just the right way.
I could probably list a dozen more ways the service at this resort outshines other Disney resorts.
But it's not just the service. The amenities are also outstanding.
We usually do a split stay with GF and YC. And one of the biggest differences is the pool area. Yes, I know stormalong bay is amazing but seating is difficult and wait service is atrocious. The GF service is outstanding and there are always shaded places to sit at the pool. (Where you can still see your children)
The fireworks viewing from the patio outside Gasparilla Grill is amazing.
The rec calendar is packed with stuff for the kids to do.
There is a spa, which is outstanding.
My point is this- the service at this resort is not lacking and neither are the amenities. The proximity is a bonus but it's not the main draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom