[RUMOR]: Grand Floridian Resort to Be Gutted to Become Modern Luxury Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.dreamfinder

I am the only one that reads such posts and thinks just how much words can be taken too literally or how people distort bits and then repeat them?

'to be gutted' could simply mean a full renovation in place. Just like Poly did before it..
Chappie challenging TDO to make GF worthy of the rates it charges, since the Four Seasons opened, is encouraging to hear.

ryguy

The outside look of the hotel is great, I would think they are talking about the inside areas that need the redo. Which most would agree GF probably needs. All the other hotels by MK have been upgraded, so it's not a stretch to think GF is next for a reinvention.

Biff215

Does anyone think this means they will build the walkway to MK from GF?
At this point the renovation is nothing more than rumor so it's impossible to know. It seems that if this happens they want to get the resort up to the luxury standards of comparable offsite resorts. I don't think the pathway would help them do that, so I'm doubtful.

The canal is clearly a major obstacle, but it's also a fairly removed guest area that I'm not sure they will ever fully utilize due to security and wildlife. Even though we all would use the path, it's not exactly a selling point for a luxury resort. "We have a monorail right there but when that's not working or running efficiently you can skip the gym and help yourself to some exercise as you hike it over to our flagship theme park!"

flyerjab

Chappie challenging TDO to make GF worthy of the rates it charges, since the Four Seasons opened, is encouraging to hear.

I have to agree also. As I had stated in a previous post (somewhere in the forums), I had the luck of staying at the Four Seasons last year. Now, for the purposes of setting the stage for this post, we own DVC at the Villas at the Grand Floridian. Style and aesthetics-wise, to me they beat out every other DVC and standard room design on property. The rooms are simply beautiful. And I think that the resort itself is gorgeously appointed, having 2 pools, multiple restaurants, great park transportation, a knockout lobby with a band, and on and on…

Having said all of this, the Four Seasons is simply superior. There isn't enough pixie dust in the entire world to change my mind, and I love the GF. The service is impeccable, to the point where they almost seem overstaffed. They have employees there that you can tell love that they work for that company and take pride in their jobs. The constantly go over and beyond what Disney staff does. I was simply blown away. And the rooms are great, with the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in (seriously). And the walk-in closet area between the room and the bathroom is something that Disney resorts could not offer unless they truly gut the floors and do room designs over from scratch. And the "pool" area is a water park. I don't want to keep going on and on about this because I could type all day long about how incredible that part of the Four Seasons resort was. But no doubt about it, the resort is expensive, with dining prices that are more expensive than signature restaurants at WDW.

I really think that WDW is in bind now that they let the Four Seasons on their property, as this sets the stage for direct comparison for what you are getting for your money. And if we throw the parks in there as well, the upkeep there last year really dropped noticeably in quality. Disney can't keep their resorts the way that they are, especially in this age of social media, when people can directly compare the Four Seasons to the other deluxe resorts, especially with what Disney charges. And I am also encouraged to hear that Chapek wants to change things for the better. With the way that Disney basically raised prices EVERYWHERE and for pretty much EVERYTHING the past few years (with a ton of crazy up charge events), the quality has to match…period. And right now it doesn't. If I find myself in a situation where I can afford a trip to a Disney deluxe or the Four Seasons, quite frankly I would pick the Four Seasons. I hope that what I am hearing about on this thread really does happen. Disney needs to prove that they are worth spending money on, that they do indeed provide a difference in quality and service.

BWK05

I have stayed at the Grand Floridian for the past 6 years and I like it there. In regard to all the comparisons to the Four Seasons... I feel its fair to compare the service that is something that can easily stay current. But to compare a structure that was built in 1988 verses 2015-2016 is not on level paying ground. Taste and styles have changed, we now expect different things. If anyone walks through a home built in 1988 the room swill be very differently configured than a home built today. For a hotel to redesign the rooms to compare to the Four Seasons they would have to take the space of 2 rooms and turn into 1, which would cut the numbers of rooms in half and I highly doubt that would happen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think Disney needs to best the Four Seasons... heck, 95% of guests will probably never know it exists on property.. and GF hasn't been about 1%'er hotel experience anyways.. its always been about selling DISNEY people that this is the top.. as long as they can keep selling their core audience into the property.. that's their goal.

Bocabear

And the whole thing is they don't need to gut the hotel to bring the level up...they just need to replace the bedding and room amenities...maybe offer some more exclusive things, but gutting the hotel is not even in the realm of possibility for a property like this.
That is just nutty.

21stamps

Or have it both ways. Industry leading service and location. Isn't that what great hotels are supposed to offer?
Speaking for myself- I don't want to pay the nightly rate of a 5 star GF.lol
And the whole thing is they don't need to gut the hotel to bring the level up...they just need to replace the bedding and room amenities...maybe offer some more exclusive things, but gutting the hotel is not even in the realm of possibility for a property like this.
That is just nutty.
Agree.
I don't even have a problem with the room amenities though. A keurig would be nice, but what's there isn't horrible.

Bocabear

Speaking for myself- I don't want to pay the nightly rate of a 5 star GF.lol

Agree.
I don't even have a problem with the room amenities though. A keurig would be nice, but what's there isn't horrible.
I think their bedding and towels and such need to be upgraded...well... basing that on a stay a few years ago... they were the standard beds and linens at every hotel on property... There were nicer beds at the Radisson down the road. For the price they should be much nicer than what they had at that time. and yeah, a coffee maker Keurig or Nespresso would be nice too.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Again, a thread is being derailed by a small group of posters who refuse to stay on topic, and start interjecting personal issues into the discussion. You may think this is worth the money, or you may not. But don't try to convince everyone else to agree with you - say your piece and move on. Please stop, or people will be banned. And don't just take your little arguments to another thread. Thank you.

Feels like this could be posted in this thread too.

Monorail_Red_77

I say leave the theme alone. Sure a nice meaningful refurb would be welcomed. So long as it does not detract from the Theme (Polynesian Lobby) then refurb Contemp next. With 28+ resort hotels (not counting non-Disney) there should be no reason to change theme.

Bocabear

I think the whole title of this thread is merely provokative... They would NEVER mess with the theme of the hotel... It is insane to think otherwise... At the most they would ever do is upgrade the amenities, but quite frankly I don't even see that happening. There is no need to even cite the grand hotels of Florida because this whole thing is a non-story. Talk about fake news...and now we have wasted 13 pages discussing it. lol

21stamps

I say leave the theme alone. Sure a nice meaningful refurb would be welcomed. So long as it does not detract from the Theme (Polynesian Lobby) then refurb Contemp next. With 28+ resort hotels (not counting non-Disney) there should be no reason to change theme.
I think the whole title of this thread is merely provokative... They would NEVER mess with the theme of the hotel... It is insane to think otherwise... At the most they would ever do is upgrade the amenities, but quite frankly I don't even see that happening. There is no need to even cite the grand hotels of Florida because this whole thing is a non-story. Talk about fake news...and now we have wasted 13 pages discussing it. lol
I'm with you guys. I actually don't see them changing the theme. I just think it's insulting to Florida's history to compare a new "modern" Four Seasons to the theme that GF represents.
I also think Disney hotels will be ok with the Four Seasons as competition. I don't see room occupancy going down bc of it.

Bocabear

When you go back to the first post, it was a rumor that someone saw a link on facebook...like could this story be any more false to begin with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom