Reflections of Earth improvements including new lasers

PhotoDave219

This may be a silly question, but is there a difference between the type of lasers used in Reflections of Earth and the type of lasers used indoors at concerts, for example like those used by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I assume the system for a more permanent show like Reflections of Earth has a more complex system than a tour that performs in a new venue on a nightly basis.

Well the biggest difference is that indoors you can put a fin layer of smoke in the venue that the laser can hit… You can control that to a point.

Outdoors? Your dependent on the Blackpowder smoke from the fire works as well as the smoke that comes off from chaos. It's not a situation where you can control where you will have some smoke to be able to illuminate the lasers.

Well the type of laser… Solid-state versus gas… But has a bit of an effect on the color and light coming out of the unit, you still need smoke to bounce the laser off of… That has more to do with it.

Thelazer

Just to point out the smoke thing. It is possible to do smoke / haze outdoors and in enough qty to product a great effect. There are other theme parks that do this nightly for there laser shows, it's been also done on many events such as Electric Daisy Carnival. It would not be to hard to come up with a set of haze / fan mounting positions around Epcot to duplicate the effect. May be costly, might use a lot of fluid.. but it *could* be done..

Crazydisneyfanluke

Just to point out the smoke thing. It is possible to do smoke / haze outdoors and in enough qty to product a great effect. There are other theme parks that do this nightly for there laser shows, it's been also done on many events such as Electric Daisy Carnival. It would not be to hard to come up with a set of haze / fan mounting positions around Epcot to duplicate the effect. May be COSTLY, might use a lot of fluid.. but it *could* be done..
This.

flynnibus

Premium Member
This may be a silly question, but is there a difference between the type of lasers used in Reflections of Earth and the type of lasers used indoors at concerts, for example like those used by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I assume the system for a more permanent show like Reflections of Earth has a more complex system than a tour that performs in a new venue on a nightly basis.

The previous generation were the classic gas lasers that were needed to get very high light output. In the decades since, the solid state laser technology has improved to give very high power output as well and they've converted to those. The older ones had very hot light pumps that needed active cooling and hence were larger and more complex. But that was the cutting edge of the day.

WDW Monorail

We also have something called smoke provided by the fireworks and water vapor in the air provided by central Florida's atmosphere.

Events like EDC and shows like Trans Siberian Orchestra have limited firework effects and thus need other sources of smoke/fog to produce certain laser effects. I have been to plenty of EDM events outdoors where there were no fog machines, and the lasers did pretty well.

PhotoDave219

Just to point out the smoke thing. It is possible to do smoke / haze outdoors and in enough qty to product a great effect. There are other theme parks that do this nightly for there laser shows, it's been also done on many events such as Electric Daisy Carnival. It would not be to hard to come up with a set of haze / fan mounting positions around Epcot to duplicate the effect. May be costly, might use a lot of fluid.. but it *could* be done..

I'm talking about the ability to control it…

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I think they might have done that with the older shows, it always appeared that there was mist coming off the laser barge

TimeTrip

Show was amazing... With perfect laser viewing conditions, very light wind. From the showcase plaza area... Unbelievable. Many new effects I hadn't seen before. No inferno barge tho. Many torches were out probably from the on and off rain up until showtime..

TimeTrip

I should add that I was quite disappointed to find out that the candlelight processional packages don't include a reserved spot for illuminations anymore...

Thelazer

I'm 98% sure I recall the old laser globe barge, had what appeared to be mist coming from it however.. not the water screen barges, but the center globe itself way back in the day.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Show was amazing... With perfect laser viewing conditions, very light wind. From the showcase plaza area... Unbelievable. Many new effects I hadn't seen before. No inferno barge tho. Many torches were out probably from the on and off rain up until showtime..
I thought the inferno barge did work?

mj2v

I used to live in Davenport FL and we would see the green lasers go over the house. Has to be at least 10 miles.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

THEMEPARKPIONEER

There wasn't.
I guess it gets pretty foggy out there, in
I was to interested in the new lasers than the rest of the show. I haven't seen that show look that good before!
How were the Lasers during order, thats the part between when it comes out and the fireworks start again. I know they were working it in the last video I saw and they didn't have much yet.

Crazydisneyfanluke

How were the Lasers during order, thats the part between when it comes out and the fireworks start again. I know they were working it in the last video I saw and they didn't have much yet.
They looked good, a little overpowered. They has the island and american Lasers on (didn't see the others) I would actual tell them to remove the island laser during that. I wonder if you could dim a laser?

I took some video, but not much since my battery was low.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom