Question about Service Dogs

Minthorne

At the live theater I do work with we have a regular patron that trains service dogs and she has an arrangement to bring trainees to shows as part of the training. The animal wears a "Service Animal in Trainjng" vest. My understanding is the weight of the vest is a signal to the service animal that they are on duty.

I think service animals are amazing. I think the people who try to pass off an untrained pet as a service animal are the opposite of amazing.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Real trained service animals are an amazing thing. I marvel at the work they do and the loyalty they have to their owners. I can't imagine training a dog like that but I'm glad that people do, I can't even get my dog to walk proper on a leash! It's terrible that people try to pass of their pets as true service animals.

luv

I saw no fewer than six dogs in Epcot yesterday. None were behaving like service dogs. All were behaving like pets.

G00fyDad

I know a real d-bag that has a service dog for an anxiety disorder. He really does have the disorder, but he picks and chooses where he takes the dog. Sometimes it is so that he can get special treatment, and other times he does it just to see what kind of crap he can stir up with people. I can see the need for a service animal for anxiety reasons, but there are some that do not really need them. As for those that use their pets as service animals, I feel that they need to have the pet removed from their care and given to someone who actually cares about the pet. Not someone that uses it for their own benefit.

DJMoore2011

Sadly more and more people are taking pets in and calling them service dogs without the training. And no one gets how harmful this is to the people who truly need Service animals to live. Not just get out go to Disney but to just LIVE as independently a life as possible. Just like the GAC got abused, this is getting abused.

Edit: Sorry quoted the post from GOOfyDad when I didn't mean to.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
My DD is at the University of IL Champaign and there is a club that trains service animals from pups. They go to classes, go into dining halls on the buses. The Pups are trained on a campus with 35,000 students plus staff.
If they can be trained on this campus I am supportive of the Pups being at WDW trained.

The ADA laws to not pick and choose which disabilities can have or not have a service dog. In the primary school where I've been on the board of ed we have a first grader who is autistic, he has a well mannered black lab who goes to school with the young child every day on the bus. He did not have the Pup last year and the young child was 'all over the place.' Best I can describe 'flipp'n out' here and there all day. Fast forward a year, the Service Pup is his security blanket, if the Pup is next to him you'd never know it was the same child of last year or that he was autistic which was apparent the year before.

Ron Santo, a famous Chicago Cub and type 1 diabetic, before his passing and now is wife have worked to bring service dogs to people with diabetes. Some of these service pup stay with their owners, especially children. The pups can sense the changing of blood sugar a half hour before it shows up on testing. These pups are also trained to sleep in children's rooms that are type 1 diabetics. They will alert parents when the blood sugar changes.

I think a lot of people just do not realize how many types of service dogs are out there beyond the ones for the sight impaired.

The Mom

Premium Member
I don't think anyone is complaining about Service Animals for a variety of conditions. I don't even object to someone having a pet trained - by someone who has the expertise to do so, and work with the owner. This ensures that the animal does what it is supposed to do, and can react appropriately. The animals are also trained to interact safely and unobtrusively with the general population, while the owner is instructed in how to deal with the animal in public, and how to treat it as a true service animal, rather than just a pet that goes everywhere with them.

A PK teacher at my children's elementary school trained service dogs, and even the youngest child learned how to interact when the puppy was "on-duty." I felt very fortunate that my children had this learning opportunity.

ratherbeinwdw

I was sitting in a service center having my car worked on when a lady came in with a lap dog. She put the little thing in one of the chairs. ( I don't want to sit on a chair and get dog hair and other stuff on me.) She could have at least put it on the floor or in her lap. We began talking about the dog and how she takes him everywhere with her even to Disney. We had been talking about traveling and Disney before this. She said that her husband is a doctor and he writes a letter/Rx saying the dog is a service dog and some reason-- like emotional support. I can't remember exactly how she worded it. She also said that if your dog will wear one, all you have to do is buy a service vest for your dog and they won't question you. I would not be telling people my husband, who is a doctor, not only tells a lie, but he puts it in writing. If he would lie about something so small, then what else would he lie about. She said that "everyone does it". So, to her I guess that makes it okay, or she's trying to convince herself it's okay, or she could tell by my expression I didn't think this was okay.
Now that Disney is cracking down on GAC abuse with the new DAS system, maybe they'll come up with something for this abuse before someone gets bitten or an animal gets hurt.
As with DAS, I am glad they have something in place for those who truly need it, and I have no problem with service dogs for those who need them. But people like this lady, aggravate the heck out of me.

DJMoore2011

I was sitting in a service center having my car worked on when a lady came in with a lap dog. She put the little thing in one of the chairs. ( I don't want to sit on a chair and get dog hair and other stuff on me.) She could have at least put it on the floor or in her lap. We began talking about the dog and how she takes him everywhere with her even to Disney. We had been talking about traveling and Disney before this. She said that her husband is a doctor and he writes a letter/Rx saying the dog is a service dog and some reason-- like emotional support. I can't remember exactly how she worded it. She also said that if your dog will wear one, all you have to do is buy a service vest for your dog and they won't question you. I would not be telling people my husband, who is a doctor, not only tells a lie, but he puts it in writing. If he would lie about something so small, then what else would he lie about. She said that "everyone does it". So, to her I guess that makes it okay, or she's trying to convince herself it's okay, or she could tell by my expression I didn't think this was okay.
Now that Disney is cracking down on GAC abuse with the new DAS system, maybe they'll come up with something for this abuse before someone gets bitten or an animal gets hurt.
As with DAS, I am glad they have something in place for those who truly need it, and I have no problem with service dogs for those who need them. But people like this lady, aggravate the heck out of me.

Yes it's people like this lady you mentioned who are hurting those who need it. As for her husband, well I will do as my Mamma said and be quiet since I can't say anything nice.

In my community I see people who need their service animals being turned away from business because of people like her and her husband. To many business and places now think vest or no that every service dog is a fake. And that is so heartbreaking.

harryk

Yes it's people like this lady you mentioned who are hurting those who need it. As for her husband, well I will do as my Mamma said and be quiet since I can't say anything nice.

In my community I see people who need their service animals being turned away from business because of people like her and her husband. To many business and places now think vest or no that every service dog is a fake. And that is so heartbreaking.
This whole conversation seems to indicate that some of those with 'service dogs' are looking to being told that they cannot bring the 'service dog' on property so that they may institute a suit against Disney and try for a big pay day. I do hope that I am wrong - but I can just see it coming.

luv

This whole conversation seems to indicate that some of those with 'service dogs' are looking to being told that they cannot bring the 'service dog' on property so that they may institute a suit against Disney and try for a big pay day. I do hope that I am wrong - but I can just see it coming.
I don't think they're looking for lawsuits. I think they just want to take their dog to WDW and the it's picture.

I wonder if my cat will tolerate a little vest. A pic of my cat with Mickey (a mouse, lol) would be too cute. Cats can provide emotional support, too. :)

jaklgreen

"Emotional support" dogs are NOT covered under the ADA law and any business can deny access of these types of animals. Most are not trained and can cause problems.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
You can get them sock/boot things. They're generally used for working dogs that are out in the snow and ice or on asphalt all day. It's really funny when they first start wearing them.

That was really funny. It kind of reminded me of the times when I had to introduce my cats to their collars and they tried to run away from their own necks.

Gabe1

"Emotional support" dogs are NOT covered under the ADA law and any business can deny access of these types of animals. Most are not trained and can cause problems.

Yeah, they are, the comfort companion service dog for the boy in our school district that is autistic does nothing but lend comfort and emotional support to the young child. It is amazing to witness.

G00fyDad

Yeah, they are, the comfort companion service dog for the boy in our school district that is autistic does nothing but lend comfort and emotional support to the young child. It is amazing to witness.

He's not saying that they are not an effective service animal. He's saying they're not covered under the ADA and businesses like Disney are under no obligation to allow those animals into the park. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I'm just stating that's what he's trying to tell you.

DJMoore2011

The Team that was turned away was a child in a wheel chair with a service dog, the service dog is trained to push the wheelchair button for the child so they can go through a door, pick up anything that the child drops, turns off and on lights in their home at the light switch.

Now would you like to tell me that is an "emotional support" dog??? It is a service dog end of story. They should have NEVER been denied. But because a lady brought in her pet the week before and that pet BITE the hostess then this child and his service dog were turned away. And no the family is not suing they did go somewhere else to eat. My point is that because of people faking service dogs the REAL trained teams are suffering

G00fyDad

The Team that was turned away was a child in a wheel chair with a service dog, the service dog is trained to push the wheelchair button for the child so they can go through a door, pick up anything that the child drops, turns off and on lights in their home at the light switch.

Now would you like to tell me that is an "emotional support" dog??? It is a service dog end of story. They should have NEVER been denied. But because a lady brought in her pet the week before and that pet BITE the hostess then this child and his service dog were turned away. And no the family is not suing they did go somewhere else to eat. My point is that because of people faking service dogs the REAL trained teams are suffering

Irritated much?

As for the definition of a service animal.....
ADA.gov said:
Service Animals

The Department of Justice published revised final regulations implementing the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for title II (State and local government services) and title III (public accommodations and commercial facilities) on September 15, 2010, in the Federal Register. These requirements, or rules, clarify and refine issues that have arisen over the past 20 years and contain new, and updated, requirements, including the 2010 Standards for Accessible Design (2010 Standards).

Overview

This publication provides guidance on the term “service animal” and the service animal provisions in the Department’s new regulations.

Beginning on March 15, 2011, only dogs are recognized as service animals under titles II and III of the ADA.

A service animal is a dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for a person with a disability.

Generally, title II and title III entities must permit service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas where members of the public are allowed to go.

How “Service Animal” Is Defined

Service animals are defined as dogs that are individually trained to do work or perform tasks for people with disabilities. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties. Service animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

This definition does not affect or limit the broader definition of “assistance animal” under the Fair Housing Act or the broader definition of “service animal” under the Air Carrier Access Act.

Some State and local laws also define service animal more broadly than the ADA does. Information about such laws can be obtained from the State attorney general’s office.

Where Service Animals Are Allowed

Under the ADA, State and local governments, businesses, and nonprofit organizations that serve the public generally must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of the facility where the public is normally allowed to go. For example, in a hospital it would be inappropriate to exclude a service animal from areas such as patient rooms, clinics, cafeterias, or examination rooms. However, it may be appropriate to exclude a service animal from operating rooms or burn units where the animal’s presence may compromise a sterile environment.

Service Animals Must Be Under Control

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.

Inquiries, Exclusions, Charges, and Other Specific Rules Related to Service Animals

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.

Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.

A person with a disability cannot be asked to remove his service animal from the premises unless: (1) the dog is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it or (2) the dog is not housebroken. When there is a legitimate reason to ask that a service animal be removed, staff must offer the person with the disability the opportunity to obtain goods or services without the animal’s presence.

Establishments that sell or prepare food must allow service animals in public areas even if state or local health codes prohibit animals on the premises.

People with disabilities who use service animals cannot be isolated from other patrons, treated less favorably than other patrons, or charged fees that are not charged to other patrons without animals. In addition, if a business requires a deposit or fee to be paid by patrons with pets, it must waive the charge for service animals.

If a business such as a hotel normally charges guests for damage that they cause, a customer with a disability may also be charged for damage caused by himself or his service animal.

Staff are not required to provide care or food for a service animal.

They are allowed. But as you said, people have abused this and it gets out of control. I do feel that we as a society have become to pansied about this sort of thing. If you have a disability then you should have to prove that disability if it is not obvious (blind, deaf, wheelchair, etc...)

Gabe1

He's not saying that they are not an effective service animal. He's saying they're not covered under the ADA and businesses like Disney are under no obligation to allow those animals into the park. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I'm just stating that's what he's trying to tell you.

Yeah they are covered. I pulled this for ya, US Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Div., Americans with Disabilities

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.

The ADA defines a service animal as any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. If they meet this definition, animals are considered service animals under the ADA regardless of whether they have been licensed or certified by a state or local government.

Service animals perform some of the functions and tasks that the individual with a disability cannot perform for him or herself. Guide dogs are one type of service animal, used by some individuals who are blind. This is the type of service animal with which most people are familiar. But there are service animals that assist persons with other kinds of disabilities in their day-to-day activities. Some examples include:

_ Alerting persons with hearing impairments to sounds.

_ Pulling wheelchairs or carrying and picking up things for persons with mobility impairments.

_ Assisting persons with mobility impairments with balance.

Although a number of states have programs to certify service animals, you may not insist on proof of state certification before permitting the service animal to accompany the person with a disability.

and I saw this in a post earlier:

Against the law to Refuse to admit any other type of service animal on the basis of local health department regulations or other state or local laws. The ADA provides greater protection for individuals with disabilities and so it takes priority over the local or state laws or regulations.

Think everyone gets the idea, but if anyone still doesn't Understand the Dept of Justice rulings (that we follow in our schools) and I can get you even more detailed lingo and literature.

Source??? Where does the Dept of Justice state that? Where are the statistics from that most animals are not trained for emotional support? Source please. Where does it state that emotional disabilities are exempt and businesses can turn those dogs away? Source?

Last edited:

G00fyDad

Yeah they are covered. I pulled this for ya, US Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights Div., Americans with Disabilities

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against ... yadda yadda yadda... familiar. But there are service animals that assist persons with other kinds of disabilities in their day-to-day activities. Some examples include:
_ Alerting persons with hearing impairments to sounds.
_ Pulling wheelchairs or carrying and picking up things for persons with mobility impairments.
_ Assisting persons with mobility impairments with balance.​

Thank ya. I already did this. ;)

Gabe1

Thank ya. I already did this. ;)

lol. I was in the middle of pulling my documentation sources out from School Board packets and stopped to make dinner. ooops.

Maybe if it is stated twice it will stick? :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom