Question about Service Dogs

bethmygibbons

I totally agree and a dog that is used as a crutch for anxiety problems would be a 'pet' and not a service dog.

Pets generally have a calming effect on most all their owners. To say that because the pet "calms" makes him a service animal is abuse of the system.
Agreed. But a dog trained to perform tasks such as detecting fear and help dispense anti-anxiety medication for someone with paralyzing panic disorder would be considered a service dog.

jaklgreen

Doesn't anyone watch people's court. They had a case with a woman with her "emotional support" dog not being allowed to enter someplace. Judge went and looked up the law and said that untrained emotion support pets do not fall under the ADA and as such can be banned from places. Look it up. I would assume because they are more pets then trained service animals.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Doesn't anyone watch people's court. They had a case with a woman with her "emotional support" dog not being allowed to enter someplace. Judge went and looked up the law and said that untrained emotion support pets do not fall under the ADA and as such can be banned from places. Look it up. I would assume because they are more pets then trained service animals.
Unfortunately there is a big difference between Judge Judy and the Supreme Court.

Judge Judy makes more money.

luv

Do service dogs (real service dogs) get their feet toughened up so they can walk around on that hot cement all day? Or are dogs just naturally able to handle that?

If they start allowing pets in, maybe I'll take my cat and get her picture taken with Mickey. ;)

jaklgreen

Unfortunately there is a big difference between Judge Judy and the Supreme Court.

Judge Judy makes more money.
Actually peoples court is Judge Milian. :) And the law is the law, does not matter what judge or lawyer says it out loud, it is still a fact.

jaklgreen

What difference does it make?
My point was that people are not making it up the "emotional support" dogs are not covered by the ADA. Those animals can be banned if the company so chooses to. The OP said it was a emotional support dog, I would hate for someone to get all the way to WDW with the animal and then find out it is not allowed into the parks.

unkadug

My point was that people are not making it up the "emotional support" dogs are not covered by the ADA. Those animals can be banned if the company so chooses to. The OP said it was a emotional support dog, I would hate for someone to get all the way to WDW with the animal and then find out it is not allowed into the parks.
See post #10.

I agree.

lilclerk

Do service dogs (real service dogs) get their feet toughened up so they can walk around on that hot cement all day? Or are dogs just naturally able to handle that?
You can get them sock/boot things. They're generally used for working dogs that are out in the snow and ice or on asphalt all day. It's really funny when they first start wearing them.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
You can get them sock/boot things. They're generally used for working dogs that are out in the snow and ice or on asphalt all day. It's really funny when they first start wearing them.

I have a pair of these booties for my mini-schnauzer for when we take walks in the winter. He HATES them, it is funny to watch him walk with them on at first, he doesn't know where to step! He usually loses one in the snow too and we have to backtrack until we find it.

CariRae

I work for a large guide dog school (7 years) and am a volunteer puppy raiser (9 years). I have been researching bringing my 15 month old pup on our WDW trip in a few weeks, including pricing out dog daycare at the Disney kennels to give my dog breaks. A well socialized service dog should do fairly okay at an amusement park, so I don't think it's fair to tell people they shouldn't enjoy Disney if they can't do so without a service dog. Our clients take their dogs on flights for business, cruises for vacation, and all types of things in between. We have client s who live in the middle of NYC, Boston, LA, Madrid, Hong Kong, Milan, etc and the dogs are fine because they are well socialized and trained for it. As a puppy raiser, I help expose my dogs to as many socialization opportunities as possible so the dog is ready for formal guide dog training later. Our school also trains dogs for children with autism. You should hear the amazing stories those clients share about how they were finally able to take a Disney vacation like a "normal" family for the first time because their child now has a service dog! In fact, I remember one family who was so excited to hear that their dog they received had been taken to a big theme park while being raised by the puppy raiser!

DJMoore2011

I work for a large guide dog school (7 years) and am a volunteer puppy raiser (9 years). I have been researching bringing my 15 month old pup on our WDW trip in a few weeks, including pricing out dog daycare at the Disney kennels to give my dog breaks. A well socialized service dog should do fairly okay at an amusement park, so I don't think it's fair to tell people they shouldn't enjoy Disney if they can't do so without a service dog. Our clients take their dogs on flights for business, cruises for vacation, and all types of things in between. We have client s who live in the middle of NYC, Boston, LA, Madrid, Hong Kong, Milan, etc and the dogs are fine because they are well socialized and trained for it. As a puppy raiser, I help expose my dogs to as many socialization opportunities as possible so the dog is ready for formal guide dog training later. Our school also trains dogs for children with autism. You should hear the amazing stories those clients share about how they were finally able to take a Disney vacation like a "normal" family for the first time because their child now has a service dog! In fact, I remember one family who was so excited to hear that their dog they received had been taken to a big theme park while being raised by the puppy raiser!

THIS!! This is a big key to all working service dogs, how they were socialized is the biggest thing. Dogs trained for it will know the difference between when their partner is having an anxiety attack and when it's something else. There is daily training, living and bonding with a service dog that allows that dog to be in such places as Walt Disney World. This is not abuse to the animals, every service dog I know of LOVE their partners and enjoy working to make their partners life better. At the same time their partner does all he/she or the family can to ensure the dogs best health and safety. Including for the dog to have time BEING a dog.

I know one team where they dog is a bit hyper, but as soon as the lead and service vest comes out it's like she's another dog, calm and ready to work. This dog has been to a Metallica concert with her owner. No they were not near the front, there were to the back but the point is, Gingy curled up at her partners feet and chilled out. She could have cared less about the noise. And that is because the ones who raised her took her to theme parks, took her to outdoor concerts, exposed her to crowded malls. That is what good training, constant training and working together does.

Most teams I know of if the human partner thinks for one second that their canine partner is going to be stressed out or hurt they wont go on a ride, they wont force the dog. What they have is a PARTNERSHIP, with love and respect all around.

I do have to wonder about dogs NOT trained who are being called "service dogs" the dogs not trained from being a puppy are going to be scared, are going to react badly in rides like Stitch and other areas. Then that is being cruel to an animal.

But having a true partnership is not being cruel.

unkadug

How do dog trainers take potential service dogs to Disney since the dog is NOT a service dog yet?

Britt

Personally, I consider it animal abuse to bring them into an area that is crowded and hot and that they get absolutely no enjoyment out of, just to give your butt a ride on a man made machine. I think it to be cruel and extremely selfish to subject an animal to a world that they don't understand and, I believe, quite able to get very anxious about, so that your anxiety will be eased. I know, well don't I have a right to enjoy Disney as well as anybody? The answer is NO, not if it subjects your friend and helper to pain that it cannot communicate with you just so you can get your jolly's.:grumpy:

Note: the use of the words you and your are generalized identifications and not necessarily directed at any specific individual. And is JMHO!
I absssssolutely agree with you. Especially for "emotional disabilities". Poor dog

StarWarsGirl

How do dog trainers take potential service dogs to Disney since the dog is NOT a service dog yet?
I did a little research out of sheer curiosity, and the answer is that since they are not trained, they do not legally have the right to be in an amusement park. However, Disney and other theme parks might allow a service-dog-in-training in. They don't have a policy on service dogs in training. I don't think it would be an issue if they're pretty far along in their training anyway.

luv

My cat stayed at Best Friends. They're really, really nice. I was extremely happy with them.

She got the Deluxe Condo, which is just two boxes. They said she never went up to the second one that they saw. So I guess I could've saved myself the extra money. If I took her back, I'd do it again, though. My son frequently comments that the cat is treated better than he was...it's true. But the cat is better behaved!!

Spikerdink

When I was in Epcot in October, there was a woman in a wheelchair with a very small yorkie in her lap. The dog sat on her lap and was gnawing on a bone.

Don't know what 'service' the dog provided, because the woman and her husband were royal F-ers who deliberately rammed my friend with her chair because he had the audacity to walk next to them. When I came to my friends defense, the two started in with me, and the woman made a gay slur against me. The husband then went and tried to get me thrown out of the park. I went to the nearest manager type and said bring it on - if anyone is going it is Petunia and Porky and the little dog. So if the dog was to provide anxiety relief, it failed. If it were to provide some emotional support, it failed. If it was just a ploy to get Petunia's pet in the park so it didn't have to stay in the kennel, it succeeded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom