Question about Service Dogs

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Service Dog Frequently Asked Questions:
a) Can I pet your dog?
b) Can I feed your dog?
c) Isn't your dog hot?
d) How do you know when your dog has to go to the bathroom?
e) How much did your dog cost?
f) What's your dog's name?
g) What kind of dog is that?

EOD K9

Service Dog Frequently Asked Questions:
a) Can I pet your dog?
b) Can I feed your dog?
c) Isn't your dog hot?
d) How do you know when your dog has to go to the bathroom?
e) How much did your dog cost?
f) What's your dog's name?
g) What kind of dog is that?
A) He is a police dog, so no.
B) No, see (A) above.
C) No, there is A/C in my cruiser.
D) He starts whining. I also give him frequent bathroom breaks.
E) A lot
F) Its on the side of my cruiser.
G) A yellow lab. (My first one was a shepherd)
Have a magical day!

jloucks

Open someone out there that may have a service dog and has been to Disney can answer. My brother in law age 71 and my sister have just recieved their papers signifying their dog as a service dog. My Brother in law has anxiety and depression issues and his dog is a walking pacifer. Cant tell you type of dog it is but is real small. Anyway......we were talking bout their conversation they had with Disney on what they need to show and where the dog an and can not go. They pretty much said " its a state law" that the dog can go anywhere with them..anywhere. Ok so then I asked " What happens when you go on rides how are you going to do that? AND do they allow the dogs on rides too?" We were in Disney this past June and saw many service dogs BUT none in lines for rides, or on rides, or in attractions...say haunted Mansion.
So has anyone had dogs with them and actually taken them on rides??

Service animals have to be trained to perform a specific task(s). They are tools. They are not pets. They are often insured for ridiculous amounts of money. The hours spent training them are measured in years, not hours. They are trained from birth, separate from the ultimate owners.

If the dog in question is not all of the above, you probably have a therapy dog. They are not, yet, covered under that ADA laws that let them go anywhere. Please don't bring them.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In addition to Federal laws regarding service animals, here is Florida's law from this site that summarizes states' laws.

Definitions

“Service animal” means an animal that is trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. The work done or tasks performed must be directly related to the individual's disability and may include, but are not limited to, guiding an individual who is visually impaired or blind, alerting an individual who is deaf or hard of hearing, pulling a wheelchair, assisting with mobility or balance, alerting and protecting an individual who is having a seizure, retrieving objects, alerting an individual to the presence of allergens, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to an individual with a mobility disability, helping an individual with a psychiatric or neurological disability by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors, reminding an individual with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming an individual with posttraumatic stress disorder during an anxiety attack, or doing other specific work or performing other special tasks.

Specifically states: "A service animal is not a pet."

Service animal is also limited to a dog or a miniature horse.

West's F. S. A. § 413.08

Accommodation Law

An individual with a disability has the right to be accompanied by a service animal in all areas of a public accommodation that the public or customers are normally permitted to occupy.
  • The service animal must be under the control of its handler and must have a harness, leash, or other tether, unless either the handler is unable because of a disability
  • no documentation is required
  • a public accommodation may ask if an animal is a service animal required because of a disability and what work or tasks the animal has been trained to perform.
  • can remove or exclude service animal if the animal is out of control and the animal's handler does not take effective action to control it, the animal is not housebroken, or the animal poses direct threat to the health and safety of others ("allergies and fear of animals are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to an individual with a service animal")
Denial or interference with these rights is misdemeanor of second degree and must perform 30 hours of community service for an organization that serves individuals with disabilities, or for another entity or organization at the discretion of the court, to be completed in not more than 6 months.

Any trainer of a service animal, while engaged in the training of such an animal, has the same rights and privileges with respect to access to public facilities and the same liability for damage.

West's F. S. A. § 413.08

Harassment of/Interference with Service Dogs

Reckless interference with service dog:

A person who, with reckless disregard, interferes with, or permits a dog that he or she owns or is in the immediate control of to interfere with, the use of a service animal by obstructing, intimidating, or otherwise jeopardizing the safety of the service animal or its user commits a misdemeanor of the second degree for the first offense and a misdemeanor of the first degree for each subsequent offense.

Reckless injuring or killing of service dog:

A person who, with reckless disregard, injures or kills, or permits a dog that he or she owns or is in the immediate control of to injure or kill, a service animal commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

Intentionally killing service dog:

A person who intentionally injures or kills, or permits a dog that he or she owns or is in the immediate control of to injure or kill, a service animal commits a felony of the third degree.

A person who is convicted must make full restitution for all damages

West's F. S. A. § 413.081

Fraudulent Representation

A person who knowingly and willfully misrepresents herself or himself, through conduct or verbal or written notice, as using a service animal and being qualified to use a service animal or as a trainer of a service animal commits a misdemeanor of the second degree and must perform 30 hours of community service for an organization that serves individuals with disabilities, or for another entity or organization at the discretion of the court, to be completed in not more than 6 months.

West's F. S. A. § 413.08

G00fyDad

e8e6f829_circular_argumentmid.jpg

IMFearless

I was at Disneyland last March and a POTC boat sailed by us empty. It had a flag of some sort attached. The cast members at boarding said that the boat had been taken out of service as a "service dog" had fouled the boat.

I find it hard to believe that however well trained a dog is, going down a 12 foot drop in the pitch dark on a fibreglass boat full of screaming tourists would not be upsetting to an animal.

jloucks

I was at Disneyland last March and a POTC boat sailed by us empty. It had a flag of some sort attached. The cast members at boarding said that the boat had been taken out of service as a "service dog" had fouled the boat.

I find it hard to believe that however well trained a dog is, going down a 12 foot drop in the pitch dark on a fibreglass boat full of screaming tourists would not be upsetting to an animal.
It would be upsetting to the animal. While real service dogs have a ton of training, none of it covers thrill rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom