Question about Service Dogs

MIKETFROMRI

Original Poster
Open someone out there that may have a service dog and has been to Disney can answer. My brother in law age 71 and my sister have just recieved their papers signifying their dog as a service dog. My Brother in law has anxiety and depression issues and his dog is a walking pacifer. Cant tell you type of dog it is but is real small. Anyway......we were talking bout their conversation they had with Disney on what they need to show and where the dog an and can not go. They pretty much said " its a state law" that the dog can go anywhere with them..anywhere. Ok so then I asked " What happens when you go on rides how are you going to do that? AND do they allow the dogs on rides too?" We were in Disney this past June and saw many service dogs BUT none in lines for rides, or on rides, or in attractions...say haunted Mansion.
So has anyone had dogs with them and actually taken them on rides??

RAXIP

At Walt Disney World Theme Parks and Attractions:
  • Trained service animals are welcome in most locations throughout the Walt Disney World Resort.
  • All service animals must remain on a leash or in a harness at all times.
  • Guests with service animals should follow the same Attraction entrance procedures as described for Guests using wheelchairs.
  • Walt Disney World Cast Members are not permitted to monitor or care for service animals.
  • Due to the nature of some attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride. At these locations, please inquire with a Cast Member about available options including a Rider Switch with a member of your party or a portable kennel.*
  • All Service Animal Relief Areas are located on-stage.

Around Pools and Water Areas:
  • At Walt Disney World Resort Hotels and Disney Water Parks, trained service animals may enter pool deck areas, but are prohibited from entering pools, spas, slides, interactive water features and aquatic play areas.
  • Guests should be advised that their service animal should remain clear of the wet deck area (approximately four feet from the water’s edge) to avoid any potential health and safety concerns.
  • All service animals must remain on a leash or in a harness and be under the control of a member of the Guest's party at all times. Walt Disney World Cast Members are not permitted to monitor or care for service animals.

*Attractions with Service Animal Restrictions:

Due to the nature of the following attractions, service animals may not be permitted to ride. At these locations, please inquire with a Cast Member about available options including a Rider Switch with a member of your party or a portable kennel.

Magic Kingdom
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • Peter Pan's Flight
  • The Barnstormer
  • Space Mountain
Epcot
  • Mission:Space
  • Test Track
  • Soarin'
Hollywood Studios
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
  • Tower of Terror
  • Star Tours - The Adventures Continue
Animal Kingdom
  • Affection Section at Rafiki's Planet Watch
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain
  • Primeval Whirl
  • DINOSAUR

*Guests with service animals should check with a host for attraction and boarding information at the following attractions:

Magic Kingdom
  • Prince Charming Regal Carrousel
  • Stitch's Great Escape!
Epcot
  • Spaceship Earth
  • Innoventions Pavilions
  • Captain EO
Hollywood Studios
  • The Great Movie Ride
  • Toy Story Midway Mania
Animal Kingdom,
  • It's Tough to be a bug!
  • kilimanjaro Safaris
  • The aviary area of the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
  • The aviary area of the Maharajah Jungle Trek

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
When is was in Disneyland this June I saw some kennel cages at the exit of a few attractions for service dogs but I've never seen it at WDW. I thought it was a good idea at the time but I don't think I'd want to leave my dog unattended at a kennel near a ride exit where someone could steal it. The ride swap is a much better idea.

Goofyernmost

Personally, I consider it animal abuse to bring them into an area that is crowded and hot and that they get absolutely no enjoyment out of, just to give your butt a ride on a man made machine. I think it to be cruel and extremely selfish to subject an animal to a world that they don't understand and, I believe, quite able to get very anxious about, so that your anxiety will be eased. I know, well don't I have a right to enjoy Disney as well as anybody? The answer is NO, not if it subjects your friend and helper to pain that it cannot communicate with you just so you can get your jolly's.:grumpy:

Note: the use of the words you and your are generalized identifications and not necessarily directed at any specific individual. And is JMHO!

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Is your dog trained? I ask because many "emotional support" dogs are not trained for these types of situations, that is also why emotional support dogs are not covered under the ADA and do not have the same rights as other service dogs. I think if your dog is well trained and you are fine with just pretty much walking around WDW and not going on much then you should take the dog. But there are so many rides that the dog will not be able to go on that I don't know if it would be worth it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
When is was in Disneyland this June I saw some kennel cages at the exit of a few attractions for service dogs but I've never seen it at WDW. I thought it was a good idea at the time but I don't think I'd want to leave my dog unattended at a kennel near a ride exit where someone could steal it. The ride swap is a much better idea.
I never seen a dog napping at WDW....

bethmygibbons

Is your dog trained? I ask because many "emotional support" dogs are not trained for these types of situations, that is also why emotional support dogs are not covered under the ADA and do not have the same rights as other service dogs. I think if your dog is well trained and you are fine with just pretty much walking around WDW and not going on much then you should take the dog. But there are so many rides that the dog will not be able to go on that I don't know if it would be worth it.
However, psychiatric service dogs are covered under the ADA.

MIKETFROMRI

Original Poster
Well RANDOMPRINCESS before you start coming across as having THE ANSWER you might might to do your full homework on subject. Right now all you are doing is stating only what makes your argument.
First reading directly from Florida State law concerning service dogs...." Florida law defines a "service animal" as an animal that is trained ( which it is) to perform tasks for an individual with a disability including BUT NOT LIMITED TO guiding a person who is visually impaired,or blind, alerting a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, pulling a wheelchair,assisting with mobility or balance,alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure. BUT key words are NOT LIMITED TO....they had to meet person to explain situation.
NOW, to take this a step further....This is what The Americans with Disabilities ACT (ADA) says...
" Regulations define a service animal as " any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benifit of an individual with a disablity, including a physical, sensory,pyschiatric, intellectual, OR OTHER MENTAL DISABILITIES. IF THEY MEET THIS DEFINITION, DOGS ARE CONSIDERED SERVICE ANIMALS UNDER THE ADA REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THEY HAVE BEEN LICENSED OR CERTIFIED BY A STATE GOVERNMENT

Easy only putting in the words that win your argument!
As regarding your statement " they need to leave the dog at the kennel or go home" this really shows your insensitivity....Don't get dog owners going...

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I'll I did was quote the definition if disability according to Florida State Law. You yourself said they have said State Law says they can take the dog anywhere. So I looked up the state law. State Law doesn't cover them. If the ADA Law covers them then that's great. I'm not anti-service dogs.

Victor Kelly

If I ever need a service dog, I would be sure to get the body thing showing that the dog is a service dog. Just so there would not be any problems. But seriously, ride swap would probably be a very good option. If they cannot do without the animal in the time it takes to transverse the line and the attraction itself, then Disney is not the best option.

There really is no right or wrong opinion here. The law states what is acceptable and required. It does not say what common sense must be.

Lauratron

I don't have any specific information regarding this, but I did want to mention something negative that I saw on my last trip that really stuck with me.

We were experiencing Stitch's Great Escape and there was a couple who had a service dog with them. It was not a seeing eye dog, and appeared to fall more into the emotional disability department (though I can't be certain). Either way, the dog was TERRIFIED. So much so that it was completely distracting and my group and myself spent the entire show feeling anguish for the dog. To add insult to injury, the dog's owner reacted to the distressed dog by repeatedly jerking violently at the leash and kicking the dog with the side of his foot.

Aside from the owner clearly being out of line, I think the moral of the story is that I really hope people take into consideration, putting their service dogs into situations like this where they could become distressed due to loud noises/darkness/lights/etc. I still feel so bad for that poor dog.

MissM

I just looked up the Florida State Law - ”Individual with a disability” means a person who is deaf, hard of hearing, blind, visually impaired, or otherwise physically disabled." Emotional disabilities are not covered by the law for service animals.
It also further states this very important part:

(d) ”Service animal” means an animal that is trained to perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The tasks may include, but are not limited to, guiding a person who is visually impaired or blind, alerting a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, pulling a wheelchair, assisting with mobility or balance, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, retrieving objects, or performing other special tasks. A service animal is not a pet.

I think that's the part so many people get upset over - myself included*. It's a horrible abuse of the law and really insults people with legitimate needs and the amazing work these service animals can provide when someone slaps a $25 "service dog" vest they bought on the internet on their pet thinking they are better than everyone else and that the rules and laws don't apply to them. It's disgusting and people who bring their pet should face severe punishment for taking advantage of the system set up to help truly disabled people like that.

*Not directed at anyone specifically, just saying in general pets are NOT service animals regardless if someone is willing to lie and say they are or not.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It also further states this very important part:

(d) ”Service animal” means an animal that is trained to perform tasks for an individual with a disability. The tasks may include, but are not limited to, guiding a person who is visually impaired or blind, alerting a person who is deaf or hard of hearing, pulling a wheelchair, assisting with mobility or balance, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, retrieving objects, or performing other special tasks. A service animal is not a pet.

I think that's the part so many people get upset over - myself included*. It's a horrible abuse of the law and really insults people with legitimate needs and the amazing work these service animals can provide when someone slaps a $25 "service dog" vest they bought on the internet on their pet thinking they are better than everyone else and that the rules and laws don't apply to them. It's disgusting and people who bring their pet should face severe punishment for taking advantage of the system set up to help truly disabled people like that.

*Not directed at anyone specifically, just saying in general pets are NOT service animals regardless if someone is willing to lie and say they are or not.
I totally agree and a dog that is used as a crutch for anxiety problems would be a 'pet' and not a service dog.

Pets generally have a calming effect on most all their owners. To say that because the pet "calms" makes him a service animal is abuse of the system.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom