PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

MOXOMUMD

Same thing that keeps kids from jumping off the current docks. I don't even see this as a problem. since the resort opened the rooms at Tuvalu go right up to the water with nothing but a rope keeping someone from jumping in and I have never heard that was a problem.
Let's hope it stays that way. "Kids these days..."

R W B

Pretty much a complete refurbishment, one area at a time.
When you say complete you mean floor plans and all, as in when this is all done, inside the entire GCH won't look anything like it did a month ago when I stayed there?

What about O'hana?

Tom

Beta Return
When you say complete you mean floor plans and all, as in when this is all done, inside the entire GCH won't look anything like it did a month ago when I stayed there?

What about O'hana?

Ohana is safe. They're removing 45 year old construction materials, upgrading plumbing and electrical services, applying new, clean finishes to everything, and may be making some minor floorplan changes. Nobody has seen the plans yet, so we're only going by what little information has leaked through Tiki Man's site.

R W B

Ohana is safe. They're removing 45 year old construction materials, upgrading plumbing and electrical services, applying new, clean finishes to everything, and may be making some minor floorplan changes. Nobody has seen the plans yet, so we're only going by what little information has leaked through Tiki Man's site.
I'm fine with that, just sounds like needed maintenance.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Well more than that, the lobby will look very different. The water feature is expected to be removed.

Dislike.

All those beautiful flowers. :( I hope they at least figure out a way of keeping the exotic plants and orchids. They were the highlight of the lobby, especially paired with the water and rocks.

I'd love to have the lobby furniture, those pieces are just gorgeous. Especially the end tables and 'drum' tables.

BigThunderMatt

Well thats not cool! Why, they need the space? That's not the sole reason but that was part of the reason my family chose to stay at the Poly, we liked the main area a lot more then the other monorail resorts.

From what I've been hearing, the lobby readjustment has to do with expanding the front desk area to accommodate the DVC addition as it will not have its own front desk.

Tom

Beta Return
Well thats not cool! Why, they need the space? That's not the sole reason but that was part of the reason my family chose to stay at the Poly, we liked the main area a lot more then the other monorail resorts.

Nooo that's exactly what I was afraid of. :( :( That lobby is beautiful. That's the first resort I remember my family staying at, it has so much sentimental value/nostalgia for me and the rest of my family and I'll never forgive them if they ruin it. Ugh. :( :(

The water feature has additional nostalgia value for me....

A friend of mine from church - an elderly gentleman named Tom [last name withheld] - owned a landscape company in Florida when the bid packages went out for WDW Phase 1. He submitted a design for the Poly lobby, and was selected. He went on to finish the design and install the water feature in the lobby.

According to Tom, Disney put the contractors up in a hotel, and "Mr. Disney" (Roy, I assume) came around and personally handed each contractor their contracts. He stayed and played with the kids, and they got a group picture. Unfortunately, Tom's ex-wife has the photos somewhere with her, and he's been asking for them for years.

I've known Tom for years, but only found this out a couple years ago while my wife and I were chatting with him at our church's festival. I said something about Disney, and he just dropped that bomb on us.

It was something like,

Him: "Yeah, Disney, I did the plants and fountain in that hotel of theirs."
Me: "Wait, what? Which hotel?"
Him: "That Hawaiian one....the Village."
Me: "The Polynesian?!?!"
Him: "Yeah, that's it. I submitted a design, and they gave me the contract. They put us all up in a hotel and Mr. Disney came around to each room and gave us our contracts and played around with the kids."

I'm sure my jaw was laying on the table as he kept talking about it, very humbly.

He hasn't been back in many years, and is unfortunately in failing health. I will never tell him they're tearing it out.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The water feature has additional nostalgia value for me....

A friend of mine from church - an elderly gentleman named Tom [last name withheld] - owned a landscape company in Florida when the bid packages went out for WDW Phase 1. He submitted a design for the Poly lobby, and was selected. He went on to finish the design and install the water feature in the lobby.

According to Tom, Disney put the contractors up in a hotel, and "Mr. Disney" (Roy, I assume) came around and personally handed each contractor their contracts. He stayed and played with the kids, and they got a group picture. Unfortunately, Tom's ex-wife has the photos somewhere with her, and he's been asking for them for years.

I've known Tom for years, but only found this out a couple years ago while my wife and I were chatting with him at our church's festival. I said something about Disney, and he just dropped that bomb on us.

It was something like,

Him: "Yeah, Disney, I did the plants and fountain in that hotel of theirs."
Me: "Wait, what? Which hotel?"
Him: "That Hawaiian one....the Village."
Me: "The Polynesian?!?!"
Him: "Yeah, that's it. I submitted a design, and they gave me the contract. They put us all up in a hotel and Mr. Disney came around to each room and gave us our contracts and played around with the kids."

I'm sure my jaw was laying on the table as he kept talking about it, very humbly.

He hasn't been back in many years, and is unfortunately in failing health. I will never tell him they're tearing it out.

I loved the water feature in the lobby; that lobby was beautiful. Thanks for sharing the story about your friend's experience installing the plants and fountain; that was a very interesting story on many levels.

Figment2005

The projected price tag per night of these units gave me the dry heaves.

20 bungalows at (roughly) $1500 a night...

Is there no end to the greed of Disney? I literally feel sick. I can't watch this thread any longer.
Nobody is holding a gun to people telling them they MUST spend a night in these bungalows. You act as though Disney is doing just that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom