PHOTOS - Polynesian Resort DVC construction

frontman

It is strange and it may be that they will not call them that. Maybe the guys working on the project don't have the correct name for the catagory or maybe Disney is just changing it up on us. They are unique so it maybe they will be grand not for their size but for their uniqueness. We all know Disney changes things like for years any room facing the water at the Polynesian was a lagoon view then they changed some to Themepark View to charge more. Maybe they want to call these Grand Villas so they can charge the Grand price. I can’t wait to see how it turns out but I don’t have much hope that I will be staying in one.
I tell you what Tiki... If I ever get an opportunity to stay there... you'll be my invited guest. Of course you'll have to sleep on the verandah... ;)

RandySavage

Man, those pics are a sad reminder of how badly they obliterated the once-awesome views of the Grand Floridian (from the Poly) with that GrandFlo DVC building with its Airport Ramada massing and zero deference to the original GF. In a way, it's more of a scar on the face of WDW than the Bay Lake Tower in that it tries to evoke a historic style, making its massing all the more ridiculous. Designers and executives involved in that POS, hang your heads in shame.

awilliams4

I do admit I fear change and I am still writhing about the Contemporary's (ground floor) game room closing, but that's something me and my therapist are still working out ;)

Wouldn't mind seeing a pic of this. I don't recall ever seeing what it looked like....the Ground Floor Game Room. Can't find one yet on Google Images.

awilliams4

"i'm reserving judgement on them till we see the final product

contemporary game room?"

Fiesta Fun Center: Originally used as exhibit space for conventions, this giant arcade had many mechanical games, such as themed shooting galleries, an auto racing game that used plastic overlays, skee ball, and video games. There was also a theater for watching Disney films. There was also a snack bar that was open 24 hours a day. This area was then known as the Food and Fun Center and the movie theater was removed. The area later became a restaurant/bar called The Wave. The arcade area moved to the Grand Canyon Concourse and guests looking for a snack can go to the Contempo Cafe.

To sum it up: awesome :)

Ahh, I see pics now of this when filtering on Contemporary Fiesta Fun Center, thanks.

orky8

Man, those pics are a sad reminder of how badly they obliterated the once-awesome views of the Grand Floridian (from the Poly) with that GrandFlo DVC building with its Airport Ramada massing and zero deference to the original GF. In a way, it's more of a scar on the face of WDW than the Bay Lake Tower in that it tries to evoke a historic style, making its massing all the more ridiculous. Designers and executives involved in that POS, hang your heads in shame.

Sometimes when I tell my three year old daughter no, like when she asks for another cookie and I say no, she throws herself to the ground flailing and crying in agony. I thought she was the most overdramatic person I'd met. But, you seem to have topped her. Congrats!

Weather_Lady

Any idea what the two structures in pics 5 and 6 are? Are they block construction or concrete? No windows on them either, or very few that I can spot. Maybe they'll be below grade?

I read somewhere that those concrete buildings relate to the utilities for the over-the-water units.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Any idea what the two structures in pics 5 and 6 are? Are they block construction or concrete? No windows on them either, or very few that I can spot. Maybe they'll be below grade?

I read somewhere that those concrete buildings relate to the utilities for the over-the-water units.

Yes I believe they are utility buildings to support the villas on the lagoon.

ryguy

Has anyone stayed recently at the Polynesian? If so were you effected by all the construction? I would imagine sitting at the beach would be intolerable with all the banging and heavy equipment. When the pool closes I would imagine the complaining will really amp up. Can't justify staying there until all this work is done. I am a little surprised they didn't just close the resort down for the year.

Tikiman did they ever seriously consider shutting the place down totally for this project? Or was that never really on the table?

Fox&Hound

Sorry if this has already been answered- but these DVC bungalows on the water are not meant to have access to the water below them, correct? I mean, if this kind of bungalow project was in a tropical climate it would look like the included picture. But, obviously the water beneath these DVC units is not appropriate to swim in. But, how will they keep kids and adventurous teens from taking a little swim. Not meant to be a dumb question, just curious. I like the look of this DVC project and I think it complements the theme of Poly nicely, but I feel like it will open the door to more trouble....Thoughts?

Attachments

• beach.jpg
    beach.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 69

orky8

Sorry if this has already been answered- but these DVC bungalows on the water are not meant to have access to the water below them, correct? I mean, if this kind of bungalow project was in a tropical climate it would look like the included picture. But, obviously the water beneath these DVC units is not appropriate to swim in. But, how will they keep kids and adventurous teens from taking a little swim. Not meant to be a dumb question, just curious. I like the look of this DVC project and I think it complements the theme of Poly nicely, but I feel like it will open the door to more trouble....Thoughts?

I think the alligators will help deter the adventurous. There will presumably be no ladders and lots of railings. Though, I wonder if there will be a safety ladder...

tikiman

Has anyone stayed recently at the Polynesian? If so were you effected by all the construction? I would imagine sitting at the beach would be intolerable with all the banging and heavy equipment. When the pool closes I would imagine the complaining will really amp up. Can't justify staying there until all this work is done. I am a little surprised they didn't just close the resort down for the year.

Tikiman did they ever seriously consider shutting the place down totally for this project? Or was that never really on the table?

I have never heard anyone involved ever discuss closing the whole resort. There were even rumors that they would demolish the whole thing and start over. Might have been quicker since the whole resort was built in something like 6 months. The only thing I heard discussed was tearing down the entire GCH to do the renovations. They had planned other locations around the resort for check in and food services.

tikiman

Same thing that keeps kids from jumping off the current docks. I don't even see this as a problem. since the resort opened the rooms at Tuvalu go right up to the water with nothing but a rope keeping someone from jumping in and I have never heard that was a problem.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Amen brother, Even IF we give the designer a break on the massing the omission of the architectural details to tie it together with the GF is absolutely unforgivable even though it would have added only a few hundred thousand to project for some fancy millwork and windows in the blank wall...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have never heard anyone involved ever discuss closing the whole resort. There were even rumors that they would demolish the whole thing and start over. Might have been quicker since the whole resort was built in something like 6 months. The only thing I heard discussed was tearing down the entire GCH to do the renovations. They had planned other locations around the resort for check in and food services.

Amazing what a TINY Disney could do in the 70's, A huge Disney cant replicate 40 some odd years later.

Slowjack

"i'm reserving judgement on them till we see the final product

contemporary game room?"

Fiesta Fun Center: Originally used as exhibit space for conventions, this giant arcade had many mechanical games, such as themed shooting galleries, an auto racing game that used plastic overlays, skee ball, and video games. There was also a theater for watching Disney films. There was also a snack bar that was open 24 hours a day. This area was then known as the Food and Fun Center and the movie theater was removed. The area later became a restaurant/bar called The Wave. The arcade area moved to the Grand Canyon Concourse and guests looking for a snack can go to the Contempo Cafe.

To sum it up: awesome :)
As a pinball fan, I was amazed at the number of tables that arcade had. It was like a pinball convention. I've never stayed at the Contemporary, even, I just decided to visit one day, and then was kicking myself for not knowing about it sooner. Of course, these days, arcades at WDW are mostly filled with the childhood equivalent of slot machines.

ryguy

As a pinball fan, I was amazed at the number of tables that arcade had. It was like a pinball convention. I've never stayed at the Contemporary, even, I just decided to visit one day, and then was kicking myself for not knowing about it sooner. Of course, these days, arcades at WDW are mostly filled with the childhood equivalent of slot machines.
Yes I remember lots of pinball machines and air hockey tables. The shooting gallery was super cool and so was the movie theater. I saw a lot of Disney movies in that theater.

DugLovesU

Are you sure that the Ft Wilderness DVC plans are dead? They are just about out of deluxe accommodations to add on to and YC really does not have any room to work with. The proposal for FW while moving Pioneer hall makes no sense the plans did add on a lot of DVC room inventory which they honestly are not getting out of either the GF or Poly expansions since they both have space limitations.
My guess would be that the next DVC will be over at Golden Oak, with its uber-deluxe homesites and new Four Seasons Hotel. Lots of room to build something big & pricey out there. Maybe even a joint venture with Four Seasons which also has timeshares.

R W B

I stayed at the poly a month ago, the first week of March and I didn't really have any issues while I was there.

The construction on the beach didn't bother us, still had plenty of great views of the castle/fireworks at night, along with the water pageant.

The construction on the buildings also didnt bother us since our room was on theother side of the resort. Only time we saw that was when we walked to the TTC.

Now once the food court closes and when construction on the main building starts I could see that being a huge cluster f*%# and I think I would pass on the poly and stay elsewhere unless Disney gave a poly only discount, I would think about it then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom