PHOTOS - New bag check areas greatly enhance Magic Kingdom arrival experience

Do we have confirmation this actually happened? I've never seen security touch a guest.
One poster, last night, said she was patted down. That's the only reason I came into this discussion. I wanted to know if this is procedure now. I was hoping others would share their recent experience. I specifically asked if anyone else had been patted down. I genuinely wanted to know. Instead of getting any answers, people started questioning why some of us can't just go along with the security procedure. I wasn't looking to debate the presence of security in general. I just wanted to know- are pat downs to be expected now? I am surprised that with a very few exceptions most don't seem to mind. Either that or they'd rather argue their own position without even paying attention to what's actually being said or asked.

Kman

I'll take your word on that because I really don't know. I mean, I imagine they could have a disclaimer that says, "We reserve the right to feel you up. Refusal prohibits you from entering the parks or using Disney transportation.", but I would have liked to have seen that disclaimer before a spent a few thousand purchasing annual passes for my household.
I would like to hear from more people who have been to Disney since the security process was changed. Were you patted down? That's the part that is really bugging me. Was it just one poster, or is this common practice?

Was there a couple weeks back...no pat downs or touching of any kind

peter11435

One poster, last night, said she was patted down. That's the only reason I came into this discussion. I wanted to know if this is procedure now. I was hoping others would share their recent experience. I specifically asked if anyone else had been patted down. I genuinely wanted to know. Instead of getting any answers, people started questioning why some of us can't just go along with the security procedure. I wasn't looking to debate the presence of security in general. I just wanted to know- are pat downs to be expected now? I am surprised that with a very few exceptions most don't seem to mind. Either that or they'd rather argue their own position without even paying attention to what's actually being said or asked.
I have not seen or heard of anyone getting patted down and I do not believe the procedure has changed to allow this. Based on the poster you are referring to I would assume it was just a bit of hyperbole.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I see this complaint a lot. About everything from the TSA to baseball parks to WDW.
I've yet to encounter a security check that wasn't nearly the same as all of those.
So what is true security then and why would venues not do it?

I guess it's OK to just brush it off since some other people are also doing it wrong.

Security isn't cheap, the appearance of security is.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I realize you find the entire process unnecessary. But, if the scanner went off and showed something at belt level I feel like it's understandable that they would want to see what was causing it.

Yes, because asking a woman to lift her shirt is the obvious choice over using the wand scanner in his hand to detect metal, amirite?

rob0519

Not really but if you want to approach it that way, that's fine. But you're just making it more difficult on yourself by being so against it. You aren't being profiled like you are a criminal. That's the wrong attitude to have.

I do approach it as being treated like a criminal. If Disney didn't think we were all possible criminals or all possible terrorists, then they wouldn't be searching our bags and making us walk through a metal detector. You don't search and scan innocent people who pose no threat. A combination of real world circumstances and liability attorneys have made us all suspects.

peter11435

Yes, because asking a woman to lift her shirt is the obvious choice over using the wand scanner in his hand to detect metal, amirite?
So if he uses the wand scanner and it again goes off and in that area under your wife's shirt then what?

I wasn't there so I can't speak for exactly how it was handled. I'm sure his choice of words was wrong. But there is a difference between asking someone to show you a belt or other item causing the alarm and asking someone to remove their shirt.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I do approach it as being treated like a criminal. If Disney didn't think we were all possible criminals or all possible terrorists, then they wouldn't be searching our bags and making us walk through a metal detector. You don't search and scan innocent people who pose no threat. A combination of real world circumstances and liability attorneys have made us all suspects.

There's a right and wrong way to go about it. They do need to have some semblance of security, but even with the changes it's SO FAR behind the implementation at CityWalk that you can't help but laugh.

I think they used the Haunted Mansion chokepoint as the security queue example, and the bag inspection and x-ray process is taken straight out of loony toons.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
So if he uses the wand scanner and it again goes off and in that area under your wife's shirt then what?

I wasn't there so I can't speak for exactly how it was handled. I'm sure his choice of words was wrong. But there is a difference between asking someone to show you a belt or other item causing the alarm and asking someone to remove their shirt.

My point has been that if he had used the wand scanner it would not have gone off.

NearTheEars

I guess it's OK to just brush it off since some other people are also doing it wrong.

Security isn't cheap, the appearance of security is.

No, that's not what I'm saying. People keep saying none of it is "real security."
I'm asking what is real security? Because it appears no one has it.
Are we talking like a secret service approach?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom