PHOTOS - New bag check areas greatly enhance Magic Kingdom arrival experience

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Stop being a dork. I did not blame your wife for anything. But, you blamed security for what sounded like an evil thing. A belt is not evil. I realize it was just a normal exaggeration that most of us are guilty of from time to time, but, wording the way you worded it, you made it sound like asking to see a belt or not see one, was some type of immoral request for the people who are in charge of attempting to keep us safe from harm. At least we agree that it is time for Disney to crap or get off the pot. Either take security seriously or stop even trying.

I blamed security for doing it wrong, explicitly stating that they should have wanded first which would have avoided the situation. Disney does need to crap or get off the pot, what they're doing in the name of "security" is just plain silly. They're not in charge of keeping anyone safe from harm though, they're being paid to put on a show.

matt9112

Security (theater or not) is a way of life. At museums, courthouses, airports ... now it's at the theme parks.

Not all trends are good nor do they make sense. But sure just accept something that has no factual evidence based support....at all in any capacity.

Side note I love how many people are comparing this to the TSA (one of the most ineffective numb agency's ever)

matt9112

Stop being a dork. I did not blame your wife for anything. But, you blamed security for what sounded like an evil thing. A belt is not evil. I realize it was just a normal exaggeration that most of us are guilty of from time to time, but, wording the way you worded it, you made it sound like asking to see a belt or not see one, was some type of immoral request for the people who are in charge of attempting to keep us safe from harm. At least we agree that it is time for Disney to crap or get off the pot. Either take security seriously or stop even trying.

But sadly....they don't make you any safer...if they did I would totally agree with you 100%

matt9112

Somehow, is manages to be whiny, lazy, and immature all at once! Congratulations! Wouldn't want something as trivial as security to inconvenience you.

It's quite simple. The monorail is within the secure zone, now.

If I had it my way, they'd station dementors at every entrance to Walt Disney World and scan everyone when they first arrive and be done with it. If Death Eaters need to board the Magical Express, so be it. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

But the secure zone isn't secure....lulz
This security catches people who forgot to leave there 38 in the car. A planned dedicated attack? Man we are in trouble.
Or we could just accept that living in the world is inherently dangerous and live life to the fullest.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
But the secure zone isn't secure....lulz
This security catches people who forgot to leave there 38 in the car. A planned dedicated attack? Man we are in trouble.
Or we could just accept that living in the world is inherently dangerous and live life to the fullest.

You don't even need to plan. Put whatever you want to take in in your pocket or holster, go to the no bag line, wait till the x-ray machine is busy, keep walking past security. You're in. They still don't send everyone through the x-ray machine, if both security cast are busy they don't even notice you're there.

I stopped counting at 20 people who didn't get stopped the other day who could have been carrying anything they wanted, as long as the sum of whatever is bring brought in doesn't need to go into a bag.

Goofyernmost

But sadly....they don't make you any safer...if they did I would totally agree with you 100%
At least from what you have witnessed. I don't think you are right there all day. I have heard a lot of things that people on the boards say happened, but, have yet to actually personally witnessed them. As with most security, it is what you don't see or hear about that usually is the most effective.

Kman101

Not all trends are good nor do they make sense. But sure just accept something that has no factual evidence based support....at all in any capacity.

Side note I love how many people are comparing this to the TSA (one of the most ineffective numb agency's ever)

Well it is a way of life now. What does griping about it do? If you go in with the attitude that it's an inconvenience, then it will be.

And it has nothing to do with making you safer. I'm well aware a lot of it is theater, as I mentioned in my post.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If it takes a TSA-like inspection, wanding, pat-down, walk-thru and shirt-lift to be able to enjoy the Magic Kingdom any more, maybe I'll go visit the Grand Canyon this year... I also hear the Boeing Museum of Flight is pretty nice, and it doesn't cost $115 a day to get scrutinized like a criminal on parole.

Kman101

You all are quite funny with the security thing. Why do you choose to fight against it? What does that do? Then I guess you'll never go into a museum again, or a courthouse/government building, or get on a plane ... it's here and it isn't going away. But I'm trying to get through to people who clearly have their minds made up that they'll hate it no matter what. You aren't being profiled like you are a criminal. If you stop thinking that way it won't be an inconvenience.

At the airport two weeks ago a guy in front of me couldn't grasp the TSA gentlmen nicely telling him to empty out all of his pockets and he got so angry like he was being profiled and yelled at the guy to "pat me down". Just do what they ask, why are some so angry over this kind of thing?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You all are quite funny with the security thing. Why do you choose to fight against it? What does that do? Then I guess you'll never go into a museum again, or a courthouse/government building, or get on a plane ... it's here and it isn't going away. But I'm trying to get through to people who clearly have their minds made up that they'll hate it no matter what. You aren't being profiled like you are a criminal. If you stop thinking that way it won't be an inconvenience.

At the airport two weeks ago a guy in front of me couldn't grasp the TSA gentlmen nicely telling him to empty out all of his pockets and he got so angry like he was being profiled and yelled at the guy to "pat me down". Just do what they ask, why are some so angry over this kind of thing?

I wouldn't have any complaints if it was actually security, and not just theater.

rob0519

The problem is, that all this theater is here to stay. We are all being profiled as if we are potential criminals or terrorists. That's the exact point of all the searches and metal detectors, no? I do resent having to empty my pockets, walk through metal detectors, etc. to get into an amusement park, sporting event, etc. I resent it at airports and government buildings as well, but there is a history of those types of places being compromised. Freedoms are rarely taken away all at once. It's one by one, until the people wake up one day to discover just how many of them have been taken away.

Kman101

The problem is, that all this theater is here to stay. We are all being profiled as if we are potential criminals or terrorists. That's the exact point of all the searches and metal detectors, no? I do resent having to empty my pockets, walk through metal detectors, etc. to get into an amusement park, sporting event, etc. I resent it at airports and government buildings as well, but there is a history of those types of places being compromised. Freedoms are rarely taken away all at once. It's one by one, until the people wake up one day to discover just how many of them have been taken away.

Not really but if you want to approach it that way, that's fine. But you're just making it more difficult on yourself by being so against it. You aren't being profiled like you are a criminal. That's the wrong attitude to have.

I think that a lot of what turned into an argument here isn't about security versus no security. At least for me it isn't. I have no problem with having my bag scanned or emptying my pockets. I don't even mind emptying my bags on a clean surface and showing a security agent what the items are. What I do object to is having clean personal items touched by unclean hands. I've had baby items touched, things that go in a babies mouth. I've had sterile eye drops handled in a way that contaminated them. Scan my bag, or change into clean gloves, but don't destroy my stuff. I'll walk through a body scanner, no problem. Wave your wand at me all you want. I came into this conversation because someone said they were patted down to board the monorail. I have a problem with that. Putting hands on a person is an entirely different thing than requiring people to walk through a body scanner. I accept that I have to go through security every day to get into work, as well as to enter museums, use public transportation, get into sporting events and concerts, etc, etc, but it needs to be done in a way that treats people with a little respect.
Doesn't it? I'll go back one more time to this- someone said they were patted down. You all are okay with that? You're okay with some questionably trained, questionably vetted, park employee touching you, your wife, your mother, your daughter, your son, as they see fit?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I think that a lot of what turned into an argument here isn't about security versus no security. At least for me it isn't. I have no problem with having my bag scanned or emptying my pockets. I don't even mind emptying my bags on a clean surface and showing a security agent what the items are. What I do object to is having clean personal items touched by unclean hands. I've had baby items touched, things that go in a babies mouth. I've had sterile eye drops handled in a way that contaminated them. Scan my bag, or change into clean gloves, but don't destroy my stuff. I'll walk through a body scanner, no problem. Wave your wand at me all you want. I came into this conversation because someone said they were patted down to board the monorail. I have a problem with that. Putting hands on a person is an entirely different thing than requiring people to walk through a body scanner. I accept that I have to go through security every day to get into work, as well as to enter museums, use public transportation, get into sporting events and concerts, etc, etc, but it needs to be done in a way that treats people with a little respect.
Doesn't it? I'll go back one more time to this- someone said they were patted down. You all are okay with that? You're okay with some questionably trained, questionably vetted, park employee touching you, your wife, your mother, your daughter, your son, as they see fit?

A private employee putting hands on someone is technically assault.

A private employee putting hands on someone is technically assault.
I'll take your word on that because I really don't know. I mean, I imagine they could have a disclaimer that says, "We reserve the right to feel you up. Refusal prohibits you from entering the parks or using Disney transportation.", but I would have liked to have seen that disclaimer before a spent a few thousand purchasing annual passes for my household.
I would like to hear from more people who have been to Disney since the security process was changed. Were you patted down? That's the part that is really bugging me. Was it just one poster, or is this common practice?

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'll take your word on that because I really don't know. I mean, I imagine they could have a disclaimer that says, "We reserve the right to feel you up. Refusal prohibits you from entering the parks or using Disney transportation.", but I would have liked to have seen that disclaimer before a spent a few thousand purchasing annual passes for my household.
I would like to hear from more people who have been to Disney since the security process was changed. Were you patted down? That's the part that is really bugging me. Was it just one poster, or is this common practice?

Technically, it's simple battery. Intentional touching or striking of another person against their will. If you're patted down and you didn't agree, it's a crime.

Technically, it's simple battery. Intentional touching or striking of another person against their will. If you're patted down and you didn't agree, it's a crime.
Sure, but the case here can be made that it's your option, but not optional if you wish to enter. I'm not looking to disagree with you. I'm just surprised they'd go in this direction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom