PHOTOS - New bag check areas greatly enhance Magic Kingdom arrival experience

GlassHalfFull

I've heard from multiple people that it seems quicker, and the aesthetics of the front of the park not having hundreds/thousands of people shoved together make the morning seem more relaxed. Plus now people from resorts and TTC have time to repack their bag before going into park (on monorail or ferry), so they don't just sit down under the train or on the edge of the flower beds after going through the gates.. allows for families to scan in and then go into the park for rides/get strollers etc..

kmac

We just got back yesterday from a long weekend there, and went through MK security from the resort boats, resort monorail, and buses. All were very smooth. We didn't go through TTC but it looked like they had a TON of tables set up, and lots of security on hand.

Security check for buses is huge - there are a ton of tables and seems to be able to handle high capacity, although we were going in the middle of the day so only a couple tables were operating. Coming from the Poly, they had a table outside at the entrance to the monorail and it was super smooth. I didn't think it looked that bad - i think that I'd rather have it there than clogging up the area in front of MK. If there was a rush of people trying to get on the monorail at once I could see people getting upset and trying to rush through (there was a group with a lot of strollers after us that seemed very confused and were trying to get on the monorail before it left) but I thought it was great. From the resort boats, the security check was on the dock. All in all, with the security change plus MK opening before rope drop, I think it's such a better guest experience and made the MK entrance not stressful at all.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It's nice and much quicker, but those metal detectors on the monorail stations look terrible IMO.
One hopes that once they figure the best way to do it all, that each one would get themed for each area. At least, that's my hope. I mean, they did theme the ones at the MK entrance, so there is a basis for hope. Of course, now that they aren't used, one hopes that they are removed!

Scuttle

One hopes that once they figure the best way to do it all, that each one would get themed for each area. At least, that's my hope. I mean, they did theme the ones at the MK entrance, so there is a basis for hope. Of course, now that they aren't used, one hopes that they are removed!
They did? Nevermind you meant bag check.

ABQ

My guess is he's referring to these former bag check stands. They did look much better than the one's currently in use.

edit, ooops, sorry, you caught yourself, I see.

Magic-Kingdom_Full_29925.jpg

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

My guess is he's referring to these former bag check stands. They did look much better than the one's currently in use.

edit, ooops, sorry, you caught yourself, I see.

Magic-Kingdom_Full_29925.jpg
Yup, exactly what I was referring to. And I can see them replacing the current white tents with proper theming as well. I'm sure they want to be sure about it all working before putting in a more permanent structure.

MissM

I think it's smart to eliminate the massive crowds in front of MK because man, few things are more frustrating than getting off the monorail or the ferry boat and walking into a wall of people waiting for bag check. It sucked.

My one concern here is a weird one, but often I arrive on property after my drive from Tampa needing to pee. So I normally hit the restrooms at the TTC before proceeding onto MK. Now, my concern is what if you have to pee when you arrive at TTC...but have to face bag check before you can get to the restroom?? That could be problematic if the lines are long or there's a delay since the restrooms are now behind the secured zone.

And it's not just me as an adult who might have need of restrooms - what about the kid who needs a diaper change? Or who had an accident in the car? Delaying access to restrooms until after screening is definitely one problem in this setup. A small problem I admit, but a problem nonetheless.

lazyboy97o

I think it's smart to eliminate the massive crowds in front of MK because man, few things are more frustrating than getting off the monorail or the ferry boat and walking into a wall of people waiting for bag check. It sucked.

My one concern here is a weird one, but often I arrive on property after my drive from Tampa needing to pee. So I normally hit the restrooms at the TTC before proceeding onto MK. Now, my concern is what if you have to pee when you arrive at TTC...but have to face bag check before you can get to the restroom?? That could be problematic if the lines are long or there's a delay since the restrooms are now behind the secured zone.

And it's not just me as an adult who might have need of restrooms - what about the kid who needs a diaper change? Or who had an accident in the car? Delaying access to restrooms until after screening is definitely one problem in this setup. A small problem I admit, but a problem nonetheless.
Based on the description of the setup, it sounds as though the restrooms on the east side of the gift shop should be outside the security perimeter.

BoarderPhreak

It's so sad that it's come to all this (security). A necessary measure in today's world though. But considering the placement, etc. I think they did a pretty good job of getting it out of the way and spreading the load.

From earlier today :) Although now its visible again, it needs some pressure washing!

That's just beautiful to see (again). As gawd (and Walt) intended it. The front area definitely needs some pressure washing and general sprucing up.

21stamps

The idea behind FP as mentioned countless times, was that guests could feel like they are getting more for their money, but actually getting more money out of guests. They do not regret FP being free since in all actuality they are getting that extra FP $ in forms of shops and food $$ spent..

I know if they were to monetize FP like some parks do, it would turn me off of going. I haven't been to Kings Island here in Ohio more than 1 time in last 8 years because my experience with their "fastpass" where people could continue(infinite times during the day for a set price) to cut line because they paid, was so poor.

Every company yearns for something like FP, where you can increase $$ coming into the park, while making people feel like they are able to get more accomplished because of a "free perk".. Monetize FP+ and then they are basically double dipping(FP+ money, and increased shops/food income), and people like me will stop going.

I do miss the old system(paper FP) that lended early birds, and vets a bit of an edge.. but they are a private company who can now give incentive to staying on property with the extended FP window etc.. even if I continue to ask for a portion of FP's to only be available to book day of..

I've said repeatedly that I can't see Disney World monetizing FP. Besides the reasons you've given, the purpose is to disperse crowds.
If they did something like Fast Lane, it could potentially make crowds much worse. I've had KI season passes for the past 2 years,I skip certain rides if the FL is substantial in comparison to the regular line..because I don't want to wait for the Fast Lane people.lol
Now in 2017 I have a CF platinum pass.. even with that,(the ability to go more than once) I will still purchase Fast Lane Plus at Cedar Point. The Fast lanes get backed up though, as do the regular lines. It would be a horrible decision by Disney. They would end up flooded with complaints. And on top of that, what would the price point be? If Cedar Fair charges just under $100, then where does WDW need to place it?

WDW has the "Ultimate" tours. I think that's enough for people who would want the advantage of a monetized FP

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I've said repeatedly that I can't see Disney World monetizing FP. Besides the reasons you've given, the purpose is to disperse crowds.
If they did something like Fast Lane, it could potentially make crowds much worse. I've had KI season passes for the past 2 years,I skip certain rides if the FL is substantial in comparison to the regular line..because I don't want to wait for the Fast Lane people.lol
Now in 2017 I have a CF platinum pass.. even with that,(the ability to go more than once) I will still purchase Fast Lane Plus at Cedar Point. The Fast lanes get backed up though, as do the regular lines. It would be a horrible decision by Disney. They would end up flooded with complaints. And on top of that, what would the price point be? If Cedar Fair charges just under $100, then where does WDW need to place it?

WDW has the "Ultimate" tours. I think that's enough for people who would want the advantage of a monetized FP

SDL is monetizing FP, DL is monetizing FP, it's just a matter of time before WDW monetizes FP will ALL FP be paid probably not.

I can imagine the ability to select your time(s) being a 'paid' function, In parks with tiered FP being able to FP 2 or more tier 1 FP being paid. I can imagine visitors not staying at a WDW property being charged for FP access.

21stamps

SDL is monetizing FP, DL is monetizing FP, it's just a matter of time before WDW monetizes FP will ALL FP be paid probably not.

I can imagine the ability to select your time(s) being a 'paid' function, In parks with tiered FP being able to FP 2 or more tier 1 FP being paid. I can imagine visitors not staying at a WDW property being charged for FP access.

Cedar Point is up to $108 this year. I just checked and was shocked. Where would Disney price it at?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Cedar Point is up to $108 this year. I just checked and was shocked. Where would Disney price it at?

No idea but I don't think they would create a Uni like FOTL pass too much blowback, I think they would monetize opportunities for 'premium' FP's instead. DL will give us some ideas on pricing when their new paid system comes online.

21stamps

No idea but I don't think they would create a Uni like FOTL pass too much blowback, I think they would monetize opportunities for 'premium' FP's instead. DL will give us some ideas on pricing when their new paid system comes online.
That's what Cedar Fair does. It's not all rides. And there's 2 tiers, Fast Lane- $85 and Fast Lane Plus- $108.

ok this is way off topic.. sorry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom