PHOTOS - New bag check areas greatly enhance Magic Kingdom arrival experience

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Not saying I disagree, but if that's what you're really looking for then just stay till after park closing and you'll be set. It's no more unreasonable than arriving an hour before opening to have that same experience. :)

Strollers and wheelchairs though, you'll need to look at Disney offerings outside the US if that's what you desire. It's incredibly refreshing to see kids and parents and grandparents all walking together all day long in Europe and Asia. Actual limited mobility should always have those options, but here it's more convenience than necessity much of the time.
Not my experience in Paris. Strollers were as evident there as in the US. A little less in Tokyo, but still massive stroller parking lots needed everywhere. In both Paris and Tokyo, however, I found that walkways were wider then MK, meaning it was easier to get around despite the plethora of strollers.

WDWBigEd

In the Parks
Yes
So I'm sure this has been said already, but I hope once they feel like things are set I hope the remove the old bag check area just to open up the space some more. Although I wonder if they will keep security out at the TTC from open till close including EMH or move them back to MK. I have seen many times people drive from their resorts to the parks for EMH

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
We go there right after park opening and it's empty. Maybe change your thinking a bit, and it can be a lot more enjoyable.

I go when I can go, I don't take a week off of work and spend it in the parks as nice as that would be. It's easy to change your thinking a bit when you plan to spend a week there. It's rarely like that at opening on the weekends.

Figment2005

I know the situations at MK and every other park on earth are dramatically different, but it's sad to think that parking, getting to, and entering MK taking 45 minutes is "not bad". :( I can ride a train from the other side of Tokyo to TDL with a 20 minute transfer (boo Keiyo Line walk!!!) between trains and still walk through the gates of either park about 45 minutes after I stated my journey. When I lived about 30 minutes away from Disneyland I usually made it into the park gates within 45 minutes of when I left even if I waited for a tram at Mick and Friends (though that was before the current bag check and parking mess there and the forced use of trams- I probably couldn't come close to doing that now).

I guess the thing that gets under my skin is that if they ran a proper fleet of monorails and trams and used modern signalling, they should be able to have those vehicles in and out in minutes. It *could* look like this:

Parking: ~5 minutes (relatively quick right now, no change needed)
Tram to TTC or walk: ~5 minutes (no sitting there for 5-10 minutes to fill up, trams just leave every 2 or 3 minutes and make the 2-3 min journey)
TTC Bag check: ~ 2 minutes (properly staffed, lines below 10 people deep)
Boarding monorail: ~3 minutes (5 monorails on express beam, dispatches every 90 seconds even large queues only take minutes)
Journey to MK: ~6 minutes (takes exactly 5 mins, but lets assume a stop for blocking)
Entry at MK gates: ~ a few moments (when staffed properly, there's rarely a line as long as it's not the welcome show)

So under ideal conditions, it would take a bit over 20 minutes, or half the time for what's considered decent right now. I know those conditions aren't always possible especially on busy days, but it would be fantastic to know that I could be from parking to inside the park in 20 minutes.
5 trains would actually be counter-productive. The time your not standing in the queue would be replaced standing in a train waiting for "further traffic clearance". 3 is actually the smoothest.

Next Big Thing

I'm saying that whatever the reason, Universal's system is far slower and always requires the team member to wipe it down after each use. It's not a good system and I can't be the only person to experience this.

It takes the same amount of time to go through either gate. Neither parks readers will work if they're dirty, they both get cleaned as often.

No finger print reader is going to get a good read if the reader is dirty.
I go to the parks multiple times per week and Universal is far slower than Disney, especially with the dedicated AP lines now. It takes me all of 5-10 seconds at Disney and i'm in. I've had to wait for a manager to come over to let me in on more than one occasion at UOR because the finger scanner sucks.

Kman101

I go to the parks multiple times per week and Universal is far slower than Disney, especially with the dedicated AP lines now. It takes me all of 5-10 seconds at Disney and i'm in. I've had to wait for a manager to come over to let me in on more than one occasion at UOR because the finger scanner sucks.

This has been my experience as well. I've waited in lines at the Universal gate that just did not move. Disney is far better at getting their guests through, but that doesn't fit the rhetoric that Universal is better at everything ...

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

The only time I see the lines slow down at Universal is when people are turned away because they don't have park to park, or valid tickets or whatever. I timed both this week, the time it takes from scanning your UO pass or MB at the turnstiles to getting through at both parks is 5-7 seconds. I also had bad print reads at both HS and IA this week. The perception may be that Disney is faster because the turnstile is interactive which could take your mind off of the timing. I've actually not used the AP line because it was longer than the normal line more than once.

Kman101

The only time I see the lines slow down at Universal is when people are turned away because they don't have park to park, or valid tickets or whatever. I timed both this week, the time it takes from scanning your UO pass or MB at the turnstiles to getting through at both parks is 5-7 seconds. I also had bad print reads at both HS and IA this week. The perception may be that Disney is faster because the turnstile is interactive which could take your mind off of the timing. I've actually not used the AP line because it was longer than the normal line more than once.

OK. I'm glad it was a good experience but it really isn't the case all of the time. I've never waited more than a few seconds to get into a Disney park. Yet I've waited for Universal. So we have different experiences.

The AP line was never longer than the main line anytime I hit the parks last week. Not once. I'm sorry but I find that one hard to believe, even if you have to wait in it for a minute or two. Occasionally there may be a hang up at the AP line but longer than the main ones? Sure it could happen I guess.

Interesting. Guess we should all start taking pictures of our experiences.

And when I talk about Universal's slow speed on getting guests through, I'm not talking about the scanning of your finger.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
OK. I'm glad it was a good experience but it really isn't the case all of the time. I've never waited more than a few seconds to get into a Disney park. Yet I've waited for Universal. So we have different experiences.

The AP was never longer than the main line anytime I hit the parks last week. Not once.

Interesting

Specific to last night, there wasn't any line at all at any turnstile. A few weeks back the AP line was 10 or so people deep, but the non-AP turnstile next to it at MK had 4 people in it. I've also seen non-AP people in the AP line which of course slows things down because they're not prepared. Also, since I don't wear the AP charm on my MB I've had to show my card to get through which slows things down as well. I haven't had to do that every time though. Like that other poster, I often go multiple times per week to WDW and UO.

Kman101

Specific to last night, there wasn't any line at all at any turnstile. A few weeks back the AP line was 10 or so people deep, but the non-AP turnstile next to it at MK had 4 people in it. I've also seen non-AP people in the AP line which of course slows things down because they're not prepared. Also, since I don't wear the AP charm on my MB I've had to show my card to get through which slows things down as well. I haven't had to do that every time though.

I edited my post to add some more clarity if you want to go back. I like hearing about our different experiences in the line, hope I don't sound argumentative or anything.

And as for the AP line, well, personally, I've both shown my card and haven't so they aren't always checking. I did have one time where I waited in an AP line but it still wasn't physically longer than any of the other tapstiles.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I edited my post to add some more clarity if you want to go back. I like hearing about our different experiences in the line, hope I don't sound argumentative or anything.

And as for the AP line, well, personally, I've both shown my card and haven't so they aren't always checking.

I saw it, I was about to edit but I can reply here. I don't see it as argumentative, hopefully I don't sound that way.

When you're moving past scan time and talking about the line itself yeah UO can be slower. Both parks suffer from people who aren't prepared to enter but there seems to be a larger population of people who get turned away at UO for whatever reason. We see that all the time, and it does slow the line down.

Kman101

I saw it, I was about to edit but I can reply here. I don't see it as argumentative, hopefully I don't sound that way.

When you're moving past scan time and talking about the line itself yeah UO can be slower. Both parks suffer from people who aren't prepared to enter but there seems to be a larger population of people who get turned away at UO for whatever reason. We see that all the time, and it does slow the line down.

You aren't, I don't think you're being argumentative at all.

And yes! So many people just aren't prepared to enter the parks. That's a big hold up.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
:hilarious:

I'd love nothing more than to see that happen (never will, could you imagine the overreaction?)

Could be a good angle for another up sell. Not prepared to enter the park? Disney has you covered for only $69 per person (additional charges may apply during peak season). :hilarious::hilarious:

Kman101

We're veering completely off-topic but I have to wonder if they regret not charging for FP. They must be kicking themselves.

GlassHalfFull

The idea behind FP as mentioned countless times, was that guests could feel like they are getting more for their money, but actually getting more money out of guests. They do not regret FP being free since in all actuality they are getting that extra FP $ in forms of shops and food $$ spent..

I know if they were to monetize FP like some parks do, it would turn me off of going. I haven't been to Kings Island here in Ohio more than 1 time in last 8 years because my experience with their "fastpass" where people could continue(infinite times during the day for a set price) to cut line because they paid, was so poor.

Every company yearns for something like FP, where you can increase $$ coming into the park, while making people feel like they are able to get more accomplished because of a "free perk".. Monetize FP+ and then they are basically double dipping(FP+ money, and increased shops/food income), and people like me will stop going.

I do miss the old system(paper FP) that lended early birds, and vets a bit of an edge.. but they are a private company who can now give incentive to staying on property with the extended FP window etc.. even if I continue to ask for a portion of FP's to only be available to book day of..

Kman101

So has anyone gone through the new security? How's it appear to be working out? How nice is it to not have the congestion and bag check at the entrance to Magic Kingdom?

Scuttle

So has anyone gone through the new security? How's it appear to be working out? How nice is it to not have the congestion and bag check at the entrance to Magic Kingdom?
It's nice and much quicker, but those metal detectors on the monorail stations look terrible IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom