Pecos Bill Cafe closing for short refurbishment to launch new menu

Sonconato

Just came back from Disney tonight, and I ate at Pecos Bill. Here are pictures of what a $6.99 kid's rice bowl and $3.99 chips give you:
Kid's Meal.jpg
Chips.jpg

Even if it were worth it, the chips were already stale and all that was in the bag was 25 of them, making each one 16 cents. As far as what was in the condiment bar, there were diced onions, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, whole jalapeños, Russian Dressing (for the Southwest salad), and "salsa" (which I think was actually Hunt's tomato paste). Not to mention, these are all cold items. If you buy the burrito for $11.99, you can load it up with these condiments, but you get no sides with it, so these are the only extras you get. These are my husband's hands, not mine.

disney4life2008

Just came back from Disney tonight, and I ate at Pecos Bill. Here are pictures of what a $6.99 kid's rice bowl and $3.99 chips give you:
View attachment 113424 View attachment 113425

Even if it were worth it, the chips were already stale and all that was in the bag was 25 of them, making each one 16 cents. As far as what was in the condiment bar, there were diced onions, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, whole jalapeños, Russian Dressing (for the Southwest salad), and "salsa" (which I think was actually Hunt's tomato paste). Not to mention, these are all cold items. If you buy the burrito for $11.99, you can load it up with these condiments, but you get no sides with it, so these are the only extras you get. These are my husband's hands, not mine.

The burrito is pretty filling giving the price. However, the bowls are a joke. The fajitas are laughable you get 4 tortillas for 4 pieces of chicken. The whole thing is really pathetic because the smells of onions and mushrooms are gone. I have a feeling this will not last too long.

disney4life2008

So here we go... I was at MK today around lunch time, and my group decided to tour the park for food options. Every quick-service restaurant in the park was packed except Peco's. Columbia Harbor House had a line stretching into Fantasyland, Pinocchio's was a mad house, Cosmic Ray's was traditionally busy, but Peco's barely had 2 groups in each line.

Going into Peco's was rather odd because you had 2 area leads right inside shaking maracas, and the restaurant greeter welcomes you in by singing about mexican food while wearing a pink sombrero with a wild west dress. The place felt abnormally sparse of people and it really felt like the cast there were trying their hardest to get people in the restaurant (overall the feeling was kind of desperate). The new menu has some nice items, but it's really small for such a large venue. We walked out because there wasn't anything on the menu that the entire group would eat, that and the new atmosphere in there was kind of a turn off. The whole vibe I got was they were trying to be like Chipotle, but the restaurant kind of screams steak and Americana food when you walk in. If I want a Mexican experience I can just go to Epcot where they have a larger menu, and less annoying restaurant management.

Hmmmmmm. Im not seeing how this fits within the theme of old west lol.

Jon81uk

At the serving sizes at WDW? Yes, quite possibly
An MK burger is a third-pounder. A Big Mac is around a quarter pounder.
UK Big Mac and Large fries is 950kcal. A Disney burger has bacon and is bigger so will be at least the kcal of a Big Mac.
A chicken burrito at Chipotle with rice and beans is 1045 kcal. Have no wrap so it's a rice bowl and it's only 745. So kcal aren't far off between a burger meal and a burrito.
The burrito is looking healthier and fresher than the burger and deep fried fries to me.

Yes burritos are filling due to the rice. But it's a lot healthier than fries and greasy bacon and cheese burger.

Last edited:

French Quarter

We walked out because there wasn't anything on the menu that the entire group would eat, that and the new atmosphere in there was kind of a turn off. The whole vibe I got was they were trying to be like Chipotle, but the restaurant kind of screams steak and Americana food when you walk in.

Wait...I thought they didn't change the decor. Isn't it just the menu they changed?

French Quarter

Just wanted to share a review of Pecos from yesterday posted by Tina over at the Disney Food Blog, who actually tasted the food. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/...-inn-and-cafe-in-disney-worlds-magic-kingdom/

It clears up a couple of things. The guac is absolutely still there on the toppings bar and the interior has not changed.

She said that she "thoroughly enjoyed everything" and recommends that everyone try it, even those grieving the loss of the old menu.

She also said that the price seems reasonable to her. She commented on how the portion sizes are larger than at other QS restaurants in MK.

So, there you have it. This is a source that I really trust. Makes me excited to try.

lebeau

Just wanted to share a review of Pecos from yesterday posted by Tina over at the Disney Food Blog, who actually tasted the food. http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2015/...-inn-and-cafe-in-disney-worlds-magic-kingdom/

It clears up a couple of things. The guac is absolutely still there on the toppings bar and the interior has not changed.

She said that she "thoroughly enjoyed everything" and recommends that everyone try it, even those grieving the loss of the old menu.

She also said that the price seems reasonable to her. She commented on how the portion sizes are larger than at other QS restaurants in MK.

So, there you have it. This is a source that I really trust. Makes me excited to try.

I like the Disney Food Blog, but they gush over just about everything Disney does. It's rare to see anything more scathing than a tepid endorsement.

FigmentForver96

Tried the burrito about an hour ago....it was pretty good I'm not going to lie. The atmosphere was the same for me so I can't say the new menu has killed the vibe. Was curious about how full cosmic rays was so I decided to walk over after lunch. Pretty much what you would see normally, no astronomical lines for people wanting their burgers.

lebeau

LOL I would agree. I follow the site and have yet to come across a negative review. I look to them more for photos and discussions about the experience rather than food.

I have seen a few. But they are few and far between. More often than not, the bad reviews have been for upcharge experiences rather than menu items. Usually, if they don't care for an item on the menu they will say something like "<fill in the blank> isn't really my thing, but if you like <fill in the blank> this is another home run from Disney!" Or "<fill in the blank> was good, but I will be sticking with the mind-blowing wonder of <existing over-hyped menu item>.

I check out the site a lot as you say for the pictures and discussions. If I took their reviews at face value, I would expect Disney World to be a culinary wonder where every meal is a can't miss. I imagine if someone read the DFB before their first trip they would end up being very disappointed by the majority of the food options.

I wonder sometimes if they don't have cupcakes where she is from...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom