Pecos Bill Cafe closing for short refurbishment to launch new menu

AEfx

Don't confuse "most popular" with busiest.

No need to argue semantics, what I said was clear.

Pecos Bills serves a large portion of guests, likely more so than any other MK counter service with the possible exception of Cosmic Rays, who walk through the gate each day.

AEfx

I can't believe I'm going there but here it goes...

You keep describing Mexican food as "heavy" and making people feel "bloated" and "gassy". If the food has this effect on you, perhaps it is best that you avoid it. Sounds unpleasant. However, rice and chicken and veggies do not make me feel bloated or gassy or heavy. It makes me feel healthy and light. And this is normal food for a good many visitors. Hardly exotic dishes that shock the system.

Out of all the "keep the burger" arguments, I think this is the most ridiculous.

I haven't made a "keep the burger" argument, in fact, no one is having arguments except for a few of you who are taking it as some affront that not everyone would think this was the best idea, ever.

If you feel "healthy and light" after eating it, more power to you - but if you do some calorie count research, you'll find out that what they are going to serve is probably going to be worse health wise than what they had before. It's a myth that Chiplote-style food is somehow "healthy".

People said the same things you are now about the hot noodles in Tomorrowland, but I was right then - and I wouldn't be surprised if I was right now - that just isn't the type of food that a lot of guests at a theme park who are running around in the heat are going to be craving.

I'm also rather sure that if you asked "what types of food make people feel bloated and gassy" that Mexican, specifically burritos, would be in the top 3, if not the #1 answer.

peter11435

No need to argue semantics, what I said was clear.

Pecos Bills serves a large portion of guests, likely more so than any other MK counter service with the possible exception of Cosmic Rays, who walk through the gate each day.
I know exactly what you said. But most popular implies something very different than busiest. Was pecos the busiest because people loved the menu/food or because of its location? If it was because of the food then this change could backfire. If it was because of its location then the menu change would have little to know effect.

AEfx

I know exactly what you said. But most popular implies something very different than busiest. Was pecos the busiest because people loved the menu/food or because of its location? If it was because of the food then this change could backfire. If it was because of its location then the menu change would have little to know effect.

It very well could still have an affect - walking in, seeing burritos and going "let's find someplace else, because I don't want to eat this before I get on rides..."

lazyboy97o

I have to disagree. Capacity must be scalable for something like this.
All well and good except that the Magic Kingdom scaled down its dining capacity as it's attendance rose. Several facilities were designed to offer different scales and foods while properly handling costs by utilizing a common kitchen.

AEfx

Because bacon and cheese covered burgers, taco salads, and barbecue pork sandwiches are so much lighter?

At the serving sizes at WDW? Yes, quite possibly.

Like I said, compare. Folks are comparing this to Chiplotes - a Chipoltes burrito is the same calories as two Big Macs.

In any case, I haven't said that this shouldn't be an option, but that it should be in an open year-round Tortuga Tavern, as a complement - not a wholesale replacement of one of the most visited eateries at WDW.

AEfx

All well and good except that the Magic Kingdom scaled down its dining capacity as it's attendance rose. Several facilities were designed to offer different scales and foods while properly handling costs by utilizing a common kitchen.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. They could easily scale down individual locations as need arises, not outright close them. Outright closing them is bad show, to begin with, but beyond that it's simply greed and not wanting to staff another location even minimally.

Disney can do it - they do it at Disneyland. I was shocked by the enormous food choice there, both in amount of locations and offerings. I mean, there is more than one place at Disneyland you can get a counter service full breakfast. At WDW? You are lucky to find a muffin.

peter11435

It's funny you mention that because tortuga tavern shares facilities with pecos. It did not open with the park but was added later as expanded capacity for pecos.

ToTBellHop

I haven't made a "keep the burger" argument, in fact, no one is having arguments except for a few of you who are taking it as some affront that not everyone would think this was the best idea, ever.

If you feel "healthy and light" after eating it, more power to you - but if you do some calorie count research, you'll find out that what they are going to serve is probably going to be worse health wise than what they had before. It's a myth that Chiplote-style food is somehow "healthy".

People said the same things you are now about the hot noodles in Tomorrowland, but I was right then - and I wouldn't be surprised if I was right now - that just isn't the type of food that a lot of guests at a theme park who are running around in the heat are going to be craving.

I'm also rather sure that if you asked "what types of food make people feel bloated and gassy" that Mexican, specifically burritos, would be in the top 3, if not the #1 answer.
To be fair, the three Mexican restaurants at Epcot seem to do just fine. This food was "invented" in the southern United States where it is routinely hot. Most food Disney serves is pretty heavy as was anything served at Pecos Bill all these years with that fixins bar and cheese sauce.

lazyboy97o

It's funny you mention that because tortuga tavern shares facilities with pecos. It did not open with the park but was added later as expanded capacity for pecos.
That's exactly why I mentioned it. Despite that expansion decades ago the facility now sits closed more often than not even though the park is packing in far more people.

AEfx

To be fair, the three Mexican restaurants at Epcot seem to do just fine. This food was "invented" in the southern United States where it is routinely hot. Most food Disney serves is pretty heavy as was anything served at Pecos Bill all these years with that fixins bar and cheese sauce.

But are the majority of guests at WDW from the south? Most people are already in a climate warmer than they generally are in when they visit, particularly with the humidity. If one is already hot and in a crowded place, burrito isn't the first "refreshing" thing that comes to mind...

French Quarter

But are the majority of guests at WDW from the south? Most people are already in a climate warmer than they generally are in when they visit, particularly with the humidity. If one is already hot and in a crowded place, burrito isn't the first "refreshing" thing that comes to mind...

For God's sake, if the burrito isn't refreshing to you, don't order it? (And you do know there are lots of other options besides the burrito, right?)

Most people have access to Mexican food from the hot south to the frozen tundra of the north.

I cannot fathom why you think that Mexican food and heat don't go together unless you are from the south. You can keep saying it over and over again but that doesn't make it true. If you want to get scientific about it, we can. There is a reason that people in hotter climates eat spicy foods. They actually cool you down. Look it up!

What is it that you are trying to prove here? You said that you don't think they should keep the burger and that's not what you're on about. So, you're thinking they should have come up with a different type of cuisine? Is that it? What would be refreshing for you? Cold soup?

AEfx

For God's sake, if the burrito isn't refreshing to you, don't order it?

Most people have access to Mexican food from the hot south to the frozen tundra of the north.

I cannot fathom why you think that Mexican food and heat don't go together unless you are from the south. You can keep saying it over and over again but that doesn't make it true. If you want to get scientific about it, we can. There is a reason that people in hotter climates eat spicy foods. They actually cool you down. Look it up!

What is it that you are trying to prove here? You said that you don't think they should keep the burger and that's not what you're on about. So, you're thinking they should have come up with a different type of cuisine? Is that it? What would be refreshing for you? Cold soup?

I don't understand why you are getting so angry/frustrated. If you disagree with me, great. But you and a couple of others keep going back to a minor point and asking me to explain it over and over, which is nauseating for everyone, I am sure.

I don't know what is so difficult to get. People from hot climates often eat spicy foods. I know this.

What I am saying is that a lot of folks who visit WDW are NOT FROM hot climates, and are already dealing with the heat, crowds, etc. - so a burrito which is pretty much universally accepted as a gut busting food (I didn't make this up, google fart jokes and you'll find burritos often mentioned, more than any other food item), isn't going to be high on the list of folks who are not accustomed to the heat, the crowds, and walking 5-10 miles a day that you do at WDW.

It's really simple, and I'm not explaining it again. Feel free to disagree.

To answer your last question, yes, precisely. Another food option would have been a better choice in my mind if they were going to wholesale replace the entire menu at one of the most visited eateries at the resort. You know what MK needs? A simple sandwich shop. It still would be preferable in it's own location, but yes, I would have said a lot less in this discussion if it hadn't been burritos of all things.

lazyboy97o

For God's sake, if the burrito isn't refreshing to you, don't order it? (And you do know there are lots of other options besides the burrito, right?)

He keeps saying it because you keep repeating it back wrong.

Miss Heinous

So here we go... I was at MK today around lunch time, and my group decided to tour the park for food options. Every quick-service restaurant in the park was packed except Peco's. Columbia Harbor House had a line stretching into Fantasyland, Pinocchio's was a mad house, Cosmic Ray's was traditionally busy, but Peco's barely had 2 groups in each line.

Going into Peco's was rather odd because you had 2 area leads right inside shaking maracas, and the restaurant greeter welcomes you in by singing about mexican food while wearing a pink sombrero with a wild west dress. The place felt abnormally sparse of people and it really felt like the cast there were trying their hardest to get people in the restaurant (overall the feeling was kind of desperate). The new menu has some nice items, but it's really small for such a large venue. We walked out because there wasn't anything on the menu that the entire group would eat, that and the new atmosphere in there was kind of a turn off. The whole vibe I got was they were trying to be like Chipotle, but the restaurant kind of screams steak and Americana food when you walk in. If I want a Mexican experience I can just go to Epcot where they have a larger menu, and less annoying restaurant management.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Ok. I figured it out. Geez I am slow. People are using this menu change and this thread as an excuse to complain about the so called "shortage" of open food establishments at MK. Gotcha.

On a side note, I usually do lunch at MK at 11 or 1115 to beat the rush. Because I am THAT smart!

lazyboy97o

Ok. I figured it out. Geez I am slow. People are using this menu change and this thread as an excuse to complain about the so called "shortage" of open food establishments at MK. Gotcha.

On a side note, I usually do lunch at MK at 11 or 1115 to beat the rush. Because I am THAT smart!
Yes, because excellent customer service is all about making the customer jump through hoops for your convenience. You're celebrating Efficiency's brutal beating of the other Keys.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom