Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

MaelstromMunky

Thanks, I have a few questions.

How big are the apartments (compared to other places in the area)? Has the size ever given you any problems?

How far to WDW? I checked MapQuest and they said about 10-15 minutes, but I've had some bad experiences with them.

Are there a lot of families living there? Children?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sabal Palm is less than 5 minutes from the Disney property line. As for size.... they aren't the biggest.. *shrugs* His is like 500 sq/ft, mine is closer to 1000sq/ft. and both are 1 bedrooms.

As for families... with the proximity to WDW, i'd assume it's mostly CM's living there

WendyDarling

I guess since no one knows anything about the Alta, I will have to report about it after I move there in June. I am moving to Disney!!! :sohappy: Once I get a job, I'll be all set.

HorizonsMan

Wendy from what i understand from a friend of mine Alta is quite nice, she enjoys it emensly. And on that note for all those moving i know there are a few people on this site that might help if you need it.

deemarch

Do any of you know anything about the Melbourne area? My DH is currently a systems engineer at ITT (avionics/EW) in New Jersey and we are trying to go south! Can you blame us...Its April 7th and its 40 degrees!!!

Anyway, we toured the Malabar & Melbourne areas and really liked it (we sail, too). But we have yet to get any bites from the big guys, like Harris, etc. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Pixmel

Originally posted by Lokheed
I am fortunate in that I work from a home office, so commuting is not an issue. I have mixed feelings about the fact that they are building a new Wal-Mart less than a mile from my apartment. On the upside, that will at least add quite a bit more non-tourist-junk-shop selection to the area, but on the downside.... it's a Wal-Mart.

I have to say that we were thrilled to hear that Wal-Mart is coming here by us. No more driving 1/2 hour to the other end of 192 or 1/2 hour the other way to Haines City. :sohappy:

Will save us a lot of time each week getting groceries. Much cheaper than Publix or Winn Dixie.

Pixmel

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
From what I saw in Sunday's?? paper, the Wal-Mart sounds like it's going in at Cagan Crossings and will be up by the end of the year.

They're also building one further up into Clermont.

It's actually going in across the street from Cagan Crossings from what I understand.

Lokheed

Originally posted by Pixmel
I have to say that we were thrilled to hear that Wal-Mart is coming here by us. No more driving 1/2 hour to the other end of 192 or 1/2 hour the other way to Haines City. :sohappy:

Will save us a lot of time each week getting groceries. Much cheaper than Publix or Winn Dixie.

Based on what I have read so far, apparently this new Wal-Mart will be much nicer architecturally than their usual eyesore. Even so, that doesn't guarantee much about the inside. Every Wal-Mart I have ever been in has just been skeevy. I have bought things like electronics and cleaning supplies there, but I would never even think about buying food there. Cleanliness does not appear to even make the top ten list of priorities in those stores. I would be much happier if it was a Super Target going into that property.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Super Target > Wal-Mart...

although, I still prefer Publix for groceries

lamarvenoy

Originally posted by bryon1
As a CM at D/L in CA. I may be looking to transfer out to WDW. The median home price in Orange County is now $480K for a older home....Just cant afford to live here much longer. Im currently renting a older 70's apart. with no A/C. I am however 15 min. to work.

Just wondering if someone could spit out some better areas to purchase a home out there?

Looking to spend say $220K-$280k

Also does anyone know if there are any relocation bennefits/bonuses for teachers to come to FL.

Thanks,

Bryon1
My sister is a teacher in Kissimee, the pay SUCKS. Many teachers are leaving Florida to make more money, a teacher next to her is moving to GA because she will make 15k more per year.

lamarvenoy

The biggest benefit of Walmart moving in is the competition and price drops. Wherever a Walmart is built you'll notice pricing tiers dropping-Publix is NOT the low priced leader,they know it. I shop at Publix for most of my stuff, but I still have to go to Walmart at least once or twice a month.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
you're right about Publix not being the price leader... but after having to go to Winn-Dixie today for some vinegar, I can say that I'd rather pay a little more for better service and a cleaner shopping environment

Woody13

Originally posted by mkt
you're right about Publix not being the price leader... but after having to go to Winn-Dixie today for some vinegar, I can say that I'd rather pay a little more for better service and a cleaner shopping environment

Ditto!:D

Bill

Account Suspended
Yep. Not to mention the bug problems there. I hate Winn-Dixie. lol. Though, it's not as bad as the grocery stores in Anaheim. Now those are scary.

Estop54

Hideaway Bay?

Hello,

I've visited the site for years, but this is my first post, and I've just become a member.... Anyhow I've just taken a job with WDW and am in a mad dash to find a place to live.

Anyone have any experience with Hideaway Bay Club in Kissimmee?

Thanks!

TravisMT81

I love SuperTarget, I just feel dirty going into a Walmart LOL!!! But I am with mkt I like to shop at Publix I really don't care that walmart is cheaper, I will pay more for a clean and more relaxing place to shop.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
well... I won a Wal-Mart gift card at work the other day... I guess I really have no choice now. Cleanliness or not, there's still not much that can beat free. I'm thinking just an oil change and nothing more

cherrynegra

I know this is absolutely classist, but I hat Wal-mart. I always feel depressed when I'm in one and I got so bummed out by the shoppers last time I was there, felt like giving out every penny I had, that I swore never to let my bf's wt tendencies drag me to another Sprawl-Mart. Tarjay however, love!! And their commercials are the coolest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom