Official Moving to Orlando Thread... aka, ASK THE LOCALS!

JMishy

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of moving to FL for quite some time now. Both of us are sick of the New England winters. Snow six months out of the year is more than enough! :hammer:

Anyways, he's a computer programmer/software engineer. Do y'all know what the market for programmers are in Orlando? Also, are there "family friendly" areas (low crime, ect) around Orlando to purchase a home in? We have two small children.

Thanks in advance! :)

Lokheed

I work as a software developer, although I work out of a home office for a company based out of Texas. I do remember several months ago that Visual Studio magazine did a salary survey, and the southeast was pretty much the lowest paying area in the country for developers. There are certainly jobs to be had, but not as many as in some other areas.

I haven't been here long enough to really jugde the neighborhoods, so I'll leave that to MKT.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
Family Friendly and Low Crime in Orlando... there's quite a few...

Windermere, Dr. Phillips, Celebration, Winter Park, and Waterford Lakes are just a few I can think of..

JMishy

Thanks guys! Maine and New Hampshire really don't have any jobs for software programmers. I guess the moose and bear can program their own computers? :p We have ONE software company in the area and it took my husband quite a few months before they had room enough to hire him. Since there is absolutely no competition, he's not getting paid anywhere near even the average.

Also, thanks for the info on the family friendly areas. I was looking at realtor.com today and the houses are MUCH cheaper down there then they are up here.

Hmmm...might just have to move... :goodnevil

Thanks again!

ok anyone live at or know anythign about Towne Place at Hunters creek, they look nice and my lease is up mid summer I may decide to move on over there, however I'm also looking into a condo in that general area too.

that doesn't look to good on them thanks for the link I think I'll look else where, I mean everyone will have 1 or 2 bad ratings but I didn't see 1 or 2 good rateings there.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
that apartment complex only has a few things in its favor...

1- location
2- it has its own movie theatre
3- aesthetically pleasing buildings

that's about it,

I like Colonial Grand.. I really do. Every few months, free community dinner at the Kahuna Grille for you and a guest, free neighborhood activities, very quick maintenance response (as long as it doesn't involve ordering a piece.. then it takes a day or 2).

I just read the reviews for it, 4 negatives and 1 positive, and 3 of the negatives are issues that were resolved last year.. and the current one is something I've never experienced.. EVER.

About the only issue I've had is a lease issue, which a quick call to my attorney resolved.

Plutofan

Originally posted by KevinPage
Celebration will cost you a grand for 2 bedroom 2 bath with a den/computer room :D

Hmmmm..Sounds like the price of an apartment here in New York minus the den/computer room one of the bathrooms and one of the bedrooms :lol: :lol:
I need to relocate!

Anyone know about the area around the insteresection of John Young Parkway and 192??

Looked at a few apartments in that area...seemed ok and close to everything...but looks can be deceiving.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
try a little north... like John Young and 417. The 192 tourist strip isn't the safest area

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by Plutofan
Hmmmm..Sounds like the price of an apartment here in New York minus the den/computer room one of the bathrooms and one of the bedrooms :lol: :lol:
I need to relocate!

just remember though... how much less you'll be making in Florida

Plutofan

Originally posted by mkt
just remember though... how much less you'll be making in Florida

True...but I looked jobs for my field in FL. and its not much different than what Im making here. Besides, rents up here are CRAZY!!! I've seen Studio apartments for a grand and we have two children so we need at least a two bedroom...I really would like to relocate to Orlando but I really dont know much about the safer areas and schools etc.

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
I haven't heard anything... lol

It's too new for a review just yet

mkt

Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by MaelstromMunky
Hey everyone.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Sabal Palm? (Link below) It's right near WDW and my Uncle was thinking about moving there.

The Sabal Palm- Apartments.com

good location, and usually good movein specials. I believe Horizonsman lives there, in which case, he'd be able to help you more than me.

Originally posted by WendyDarling
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Alta at Little Lake Bryan?

are those the ones behind the premire factory outlets that are under construction?

If so the only thing I can say is that is a good location, grocery store across the street, I think there's a new 7-11 going in close by, close by several discount shops.

HorizonsMan

Yeah i live at Sabal Palm and it is a great location very friendly staff and very safe area i would definantly recommend it to anyone that is moving down, if you have any more questions dont hesitate to ask

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom