News New security measures

midwest_mice

I did notice a few weeks ago that if someone with a bag tries to go through the no bag line, they re-route them back, of course, and then twice I saw those people chosen to go through the metal detectors. That had to make them mad trying to get in the easy way!

DisneyFans4Life

I went with just my daughter two weeks ago and was "chosen" to go through the metal detectors. Of the other half dozen times I've gone since the detectors have been up, I've been with my wife as well and neither of us have been selected to walk through.

Last Saturday my friend was selected to go through, but he was with his wife and daughter as well. It really isn't an inconveniece in my book. Take a few things out of your pocket and walk right in. The whole process was less than 30 seconds.

KDM31091

I went with just my daughter two weeks ago and was "chosen" to go through the metal detectors. Of the other half dozen times I've gone since the detectors have been up, I've been with my wife as well and neither of us have been selected to walk through.

Last Saturday my friend was selected to go through, but he was with his wife and daughter as well. It really isn't an inconveniece in my book. Take a few things out of your pocket and walk right in. The whole process was less than 30 seconds.
Good for you having a good attitude about it. I agree, no big ordeal and well worth it for the security. Sadly, the world we live in demands this kind of security at this point.

s8film40

Worst show I have seen since "Plan 9 From Outer Space." Useless.
Yeah, I'm really surprised at how lacking this is even as a show. It doesn't take very much at all to see how "fake" this security is. To me if this is as hard as they're going to try to convince people this is real security I personally think they should put up video screens to simulate the look of the security screeners like in Total Recall. They could then force everyone to go through them and everyone would see an X-Ray image of each person going in can be seen. At least then it takes the random selection aspect out of the equation.

Last edited:

Yankee Mouse

Yeah, I'm really surprised at how lacking this is even as a show. It doesn't take very much at all to see how "fake" this security is. To me if this is as hard as they're going to try to convince people this is real security I personally think they should put up video screens to simulate the look of the security screeners like in Total Recall. They could then force everyone to go through them and everyone would see an X-Ray image of each person going in can be seen. At least then it takes the random selection aspect out of the equation.

I think there is a lot behind the scenes we don't see, and I think there will be more coming in the future.

G00fyDad

Just for the sake of discussion, for those who feel "safer" with "enhanced security", the requirements to work for either the TSA or CSC event staff are the same. No experience needed, no special training needed, HS Diploma or GED, must be able to pass a background check - much the same as working at McD's although you have to be 18+ to work TSA... :cautious:o_O

You can work for McDonald's at 16 with a work permit. LOL

lobelia

Perhaps they can make it magical? Maybe you can see your x-ray when you go through and next to you is a fake x-ray of Mickey or Goofy? Maybe your magic band let's the machine know who your favorite character it. Just like the hitchhiking ghosts. You go through with a character and then get their pin or patch or sticker......Everyone would sign up for it then.

Since it really is all for show anyway. I maintain that it might deter someone coming in the front door but there are too many other opportunities.

EOD K9

Just for the sake of discussion, for those who feel "safer" with "enhanced security", the requirements to work for either the TSA or CSC event staff are the same. No experience needed, no special training needed, HS Diploma or GED, must be able to pass a background check - much the same as working at McD's although you have to be 18+ to work TSA... :cautious:o_O
Up until recently, all TSA screeners received their training at the airport in which they work. This practice is changing soon. There is a top notch training center in southeast Georgia that trains 99% of Federal Law Enforcement Officers. This facility has driving ranges, shooting ranges, numerous "fake venues" ie border crossings, police stations, homes etc. New TSA hires will be required to go there and use the new "airport" venue to learn how to screen people more efficiently and deal with whatever arises. The facility uses actors as role players to act out the scenarios put forth. These scenarios can be as simple as a traffic accident, which may then escalate to a fight between the parties, and the trainees have to learn to deal with it.
While TSA wont deal with that, I know that this facility will be coming up with scenarios based on actual events and improvised ones to teach these people. While it is not perfect, it is a step in the right direction. I hope TDO will step up their game as well.

Last edited:

s8film40

I think there is a lot behind the scenes we don't see, and I think there will be more coming in the future.
I used to think this as well to a certain extent. However with these increases in security Disney is showing their hand a little more than in the past and what we've seen seems to be exposing that Disney security isn't nearly as competent as many had believed.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Perhaps they can make it magical? Maybe you can see your x-ray when you go through and next to you is a fake x-ray of Mickey or Goofy? Maybe your magic band let's the machine know who your favorite character it. Just like the hitchhiking ghosts. You go through with a character and then get their pin or patch or sticker......Everyone would sign up for it then.

Since it really is all for show anyway. I maintain that it might deter someone coming in the front door but there are too many other opportunities.

In earlier times something along these lines would have been done.

World_Showcase_Lover007

The process for security screening appears to sometimes be random, but also sometimes targeted. During my most recent trip to the WDW (Feb 4-11), I unfortunately became quite intimate with going through security as I was "randomly selected to participate in park security screening" almost every time. I was selected 6 of the first 8 times we entered the gates while park hopping. I stopped counting during the second half of the trip.

It's a fairly painless process, but my only complaint is that, like an airport, they ask you take metal objects/phones and place them in a plastic tray, which is on the side of the metal detectors that you enter from. After you walk through the detector, they tell you that you can collect your belongings, but they refuse to push the plastic tray with your stuff in it to where you can reach it. They evidently have a policy of not being able to touch your personal belongings (or the tray which holds them) for liability reasons, but in order to get the tray you must awkwardly reach to the other side of the table they have set-up, while they all just stare at you. The first couple of times you wind up just standing there waiting for them to hand you your stuff because it is out of arm's reach. Then you realize that this not going to happen so you're basically climbing over the table. Maybe they will amend this process over time.

Princess Kaylee

New security measures will be implemented over the next 12 months at all parks. Soon you will be walking thru giant scanners.

Additionally toy guns will no longer be sold and masks will be prohibited for those 14 and over at all times. There will also be more uniformed presence.

I'm glad. The world is a sick place...

G00fyDad

"Smoke Free" has nothing to do with security - disagree.

It was a joke
The_Sarcasm_Misunderstanding_by_ThePlotThinnens.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom