News New security measures

FrankLapidus

Looks like Disney got this right. After today's events, no one should complain. In fact, it just makes me ponder how vulnerable all of WDW property actually is. It's amazing nothing has happened yet.

Let's just hope that that remains the case.

The increase in security was so noticeable when I was at WDW last month that it was almost unnerving, in twenty years of visitng the resort I've never seen so many police officers at the parks let alone the number of Disney security personnel that were on duty. I'll go through however many metal detectors and stop for any checks they want me to if taking those precautions stops something happening and prevents anyone from getting into those parks who intends to cause harm to innocent people.

Last edited:

photomatt

In fact, it just makes me ponder how vulnerable all of WDW property actually is.
I'm not a security expert or a member of law enforcement. The following is just my own opinion.

To use terms that industry experts use, I would say that Disney is a very soft target. I would expect major changes to start taking place. Some of these changes might include random vehicle checks, and possibly metal detectors at Disney Springs. The logistics of that seem almost impossible, but it would not surprise me. I would also expect more metal detectors at the parks and more security. I hate to see this happen, but I don't think Disney has a choice anymore.

You might even see tighter security at the hotels.

matt9112

I'm not a security expert or a member of law enforcement. The following is just my own opinion.

To use terms that industry experts use, I would say that Disney is a very soft target. I would expect major changes to start taking place. Some of these changes might include random vehicle checks, and possibly metal detectors at Disney Springs. The logistics of that seem almost impossible, but it would not surprise me. I would also expect more metal detectors at the parks and more security. I hate to see this happen, but I don't think Disney has a choice anymore.

choice.....we all have a choice to live free and happy. and our law enforcement community and military has the OBLIGATION to track down mad men like this. but our politically correct nature prevents us from identifying trends and persuing those trends. why dont we just skip to the check points on major highways....constant monitoring of citizens and the suspension of rights within your own home. (if we could have monitored the shooters residence we would have seen all that) but thats all part of the easy way out. the right thing to do is find the problem and solve it without changing the lives of every American. think about how much life has changed since 9/11.....sure lots and lots of small things....but together.....

Cmdr_Crimson

You might even see tighter security at the hotels.

I was thinking about this for Disney Springs...Big problem is all the Entryways within the entire shopping district would make this a nightmare...Universal did it right just as you enter the the Skybridge by putting security checks before entering the entire resort...

photomatt

choice.....we all have a choice to live free and happy. and our law enforcement community and military has the OBLIGATION to track down mad men like this. but our politically correct nature prevents us from identifying trends and persuing those trends. why dont we just skip to the check points on major highways....constant monitoring of citizens and the suspension of rights within your own home. (if we could have monitored the shooters residence we would have seen all that) but thats all part of the easy way out. the right thing to do is find the problem and solve it without changing the lives of every American. think about how much life has changed since 9/11.....sure lots and lots of small things....but together.....
I understand what you are saying.

Unfortunately, this forum is not really the place to discuss this issue. I completely understand the reasons for this, so I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing this out so you understand why the reply that follows is so generic.

I have seen the shooter on TV, and I have heard what the media is saying about him. I understand the implications, and I am capable of making the correct conclusions. The shooter and his beliefs are not the issue. There is another issue that we can't discuss here. Until our country decides to take meaningful action to address that issue, these shootings will continue.

As long as we allow the tools used in these shootings to be freely available, the shootings will continue. This is what needs to be addressed by Disney. I hate to see it happen, but until we remove the tools, Disney has to do everything they can to make sure they are not used on Disney property.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes

Unfortunately, this forum is not really the place to discuss this issue. I completely understand the reasons for this, so I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing this out so you understand why the reply that follows is so generic.

I have seen the shooter on TV, and I have heard what the media is saying about him. I understand the implications, and I am capable of making the correct conclusions. The shooter and his beliefs are not the issue. There is another issue that we can't discuss here. Until our country decides to take meaningful action to address that issue, these shootings will continue.

As long as we allow the tools used in these shootings to be freely available, the shootings will continue. This is what needs to be addressed by Disney. I hate to see it happen, but until we remove the tools, Disney has to do everything they can to make sure they are not used on Disney property.

Only a "generic" response if you're two... Your views were made clear. This is not an issue of bad laws, it's a symptom of the direction of our culture. Laws don't matter to people who break them and do others harm.

Matt_Black

Indeed. The guys from Penny Arcade once said that it's like if there was a sudden mass outbreak of gardening, but nobody talked about spades, shovels, or hoes.

Matt_Black

Only a "generic" response if you're two... Your views were made clear. This is not an issue of bad laws, it's a symptom of the direction of our culture. Laws don't matter to people who break them and do others harm.

THIS argument bothers me every time I see it. If that's true, then why bother having laws in the first place?

tirian

The process for security screening appears to sometimes be random, but also sometimes targeted. During my most recent trip to the WDW (Feb 4-11), I unfortunately became quite intimate with going through security as I was "randomly selected to participate in park security screening" almost every time. I was selected 6 of the first 8 times we entered the gates while park hopping. I stopped counting during the second half of the trip.

It's a fairly painless process, but my only complaint is that, like an airport, they ask you take metal objects/phones and place them in a plastic tray, which is on the side of the metal detectors that you enter from. After you walk through the detector, they tell you that you can collect your belongings, but they refuse to push the plastic tray with your stuff in it to where you can reach it. They evidently have a policy of not being able to touch your personal belongings (or the tray which holds them) for liability reasons, but in order to get the tray you must awkwardly reach to the other side of the table they have set-up, while they all just stare at you. The first couple of times you wind up just standing there waiting for them to hand you your stuff because it is out of arm's reach. Then you realize that this not going to happen so you're basically climbing over the table. Maybe they will amend this process over time.

I don't fit racist profiles, and a few weeks ago, I was "randomly" selected every time I entered a park. You're right; it was an awkward process.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
THIS argument bothers me every time I see it. If that's true, then why bother having laws in the first place?

I'm not saying we should not have laws, but this whole trend we're seeing goes way beyond laws. It's individuals and cultural failure. No law will ever change the mindset of someone who wants to harm others and are prepared to die themselves. But to remove the right of individuals to protect themselves is wrong. Not knocking first responders at all (if you knew more about me you'd understand it would not make sense to do so), but I can protect myself and others quicker than law enforcement simply because of the time it takes to respond. Should weapons be banned in places that are high probable targets? Sure. But then security measures have to ensure the safety of those who are present. Once you remove weapons for self defense, it's the responsibility and obligation to ensure the protection of patrons.

matt9112

i own several of those tools and its insulting that you blame those tools for a radical event caused by a terrorist. what about france and all there fancy gun laws not a single one of those laws saved those people not a damn one. and my rifles are offended...they kill less people than cars but you have the right to blame them? and thus people like me? get a grip.

edit (stop blaming inanimate objects)

photomatt

Except that the people who do these things will always have access. It's called the black market.
True.

We have speed limits, but people still speed. Should we get rid of speed limits?

The drinking age in the US is 21. People under 21 still drink. Should we get rid of drinking laws?

I can go on and on and on and on. Yes, people break laws, yet we still have them. Is it because some people do follow laws? Is it because laws do reduce the problem, even if they don't eliminate the problem completely?

Are you saying we should get rid of all laws because any law can be broken?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I agree, but if you remove access to the tools used to create this carnage, you take a major step in solving the problem.

I agree, if you could gauarentee that they're 100% unavailable. If they're still accessible through illegal means, then problem is still the same, just no means of defense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom