News New security measures

donsullivan

Premium Member
They were serious today as well.

The security posture was noticibly increased Since my last visit in April. (i won't elaborate on what I noticed, for obvious reasons.)

I noticed some marked changes during MVMCP last Tuesday night. In order to get some specific photographs I wanted I camped out under the Christmas tree for nearly 5 hours (yeah I know that's insane, but unrelated). During the course of that stretch in the same location there were lots of opportunities to 'notice' things around me that were kicked up a notch or two. Every one of them was encouraging and welcome.

PorterRedkey

If I were to be a gun toting terrorist.... Why would I walk through the front gate.... When there are hundreds of entry points where I can pose as almost anything and get onsite?

I think this is yet another 'show them something...'

Does anyone think it would be that hard for someone to simply get hired to work there and do something after simply getting backstage?

This kind of stuff isn't going to do anything to stop the determined... Only the irrational stupid ones. I bet they fear ex employees more than isis

Sure a terrorist might be smart enough to get around it, but what about someone sick with mental illness who wants to off themselves in a dramatic setting? Or the man who was just apprehended at the park after he tried to get a gun into the Magic Kingdom. Oh and there was the guy who left his gun on Dinosaur. I think the new measures might be for them as well as any terrorists who as dumb enough to try to get in with a gun.

Incomudro

Well... toy guns have sadly proven to be unsafe for the poor children toting them.
To be clear: that is not a slam on the kids or the toy guns. It's just a mom worrying because some jerk might be sneaking his weapon into a theme park (again), and my child might be committing the unpardonable crime of wearing a hoodie, or something.

Captain Jack flintlocks?

wdwfan4ver

This is going slow things down even more getting past the check points. I am saying this because for the bag checks, lines were slowed down in when I was at WDW due to self sticks. Even though there has been signs saying no selfie sticks, guests still were bringing selfie sticks with them:banghead:.

I think one of the reasons for the giant scanners is due to what I saw at the Magic Kingdom during my last trip to WDW with a guest sneaking in a selfie stick. I saw the guest with the self stick on Main Street USA as I was leaving Main Street to the Exist.

I brought up the guest sneaking in the selfie sticks because since guests sneak in self sticks, it is possible for anything to be sneak into the park that doesn't doesn't involve bags.

TyrantBoss

New security measures will be implemented over the next 12 months at all parks. Soon you will be walking thru giant scanners.

Additionally toy guns will no longer be sold and masks will be prohibited for those 14 and over at all times. There will also be more uniformed presence.

Hmmmm....I seem to remember tons of you folks scathing me a few weeks back when I dared mention how Disney does not have strong enough safety measures. Most of you SWORE that Disney was fine and they had everything under control.
Many of you even complained that they would never do it because it would slow down the entry process.

And now......Disney is taking extra precautions. How about that?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Hmmmm....I seem to remember tons of you folks scathing me a few weeks back when I dared mention how Disney does not have strong enough safety measures. Most of you SWORE that Disney was fine and they had everything under control.
Many of you even complained that they would never do it because it would slow down the entry process.

And now......Disney is taking extra precautions. How about that?
They listened to what you had to say...aren't you proud of yourself now?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Sure a terrorist might be smart enough to get around it, but what about someone sick with mental illness who wants to off themselves in a dramatic setting? Or the man who was just apprehended at the park after he tried to get a gun into the Magic Kingdom. Oh and there was the guy who left his gun on Dinosaur. I think the new measures might be for them as well as any terrorists who as dumb enough to try to get in with a gun.

They already had a system for that.. and while not flawless... has held the fort. The person with intent is going to work at it... the morons who just don't think the rules apply to them aren't that huge of a risk. You're surrounded by those people all the time everywhere else and people have survived without having to search and disarm people.

lazyboy97o

Simple, such a person would be able to just attack the large crowd that is queuing for these checks. Or go to an unsecured place like one of transportation vehicles, Disney Springs or one of the hotels.

PorterRedkey

They already had a system for that.. and while not flawless... has held the fort. The person with intent is going to work at it... the morons who just don't think the rules apply to them aren't that huge of a risk. You're surrounded by those people all the time everywhere else and people have survived without having to search and disarm people.

Sure anywhere else it is a tragedy, but if it happen at a Disney park, it is tragic AND a public relations nightmare. While I don't like being searched at the airport (this is the real "look we're doing something" kind of prevention) or at Disney I can understand the need for Disney to take increasing measures.
I just hope they increase the amount of cast members and locations handling entry, so the time to get through the check is not increased too much.

PorterRedkey

Simple, such a person would be able to just attack the large crowd that is queuing for these checks. Or go to an unsecured place like one of transportation vehicles, Disney Springs or one of the hotels.

This is all true. I think it is a matter of trying to do what they can to prevent guns from coming into the parks. Whether the inconvenience this places on the guests, is worth the security provided by the measures, is up for debate. For me, I am okay with it. Others will feel differently.

In my life, Freedom vs Security has been an issue we have been dealing with since 9/11/01. Of course we are not the first generation to debate this issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know enough about Intercot, but the info is going around. I think it's all stemming from the same Intercot rumor. I'm putting it on my site as "Blue Sky" for now, but wouldn't be surprised to see it confirmed by others in a few days.

Well the one thing going against it is... installing dozens of scanners in the park entrances is gonna need some infrastructure/utilities.. I'd wonder if they'd get that done in 3 days. They could of course goto just wands to start with.. but that requires funneling people into queues, etc.. this would be very radical to do so quickly

janoimagine

Disney does not have strong enough safety measures.
Disney's crisis command center and security policies still rival that of most our major cities. You were and are still far safer at Disney than you are just about anywhere else in the US, just because you dont physically see them does not mean they are not out and about. This is a reaction to the Paris attacks, and to a lesser extent San Bernardino, as well as current published and unpublished threats made against the US and its citizens.

KeithVH

OK. So we're up to 3 pages, everyone has sounded off and chosen sides, and we've yet to know (a) just how much of this is a rumor, (b) any concept of how some of this will be implemented, or (c) what actual impact there will be.

I should start a pool for how many more posts or pages until we actually have factual detail from TDO.

TyrantBoss

Disney's crisis command center and security policies still rival that of most our major cities. You were and are still far safer at Disney than you are just about anywhere else in the US, just because you dont physically see them does not mean they are not out and about. This is a reaction to the Paris attacks, and to a lesser extent San Bernardino, as well as current published and unpublished threats made against the US and its citizens.

To say that Disney has "security policies that still rival that of most of our major cities" is not saying much. Disney is not nearly as big, nor does it have as diverse and widespread an infrastructure of any of the major cities. So it is much easier for Disney to be safer.

The die hards defend Disney to the grave. The fact that Disney has just chosen to INCREASE their security measures means that they had identified weaknesses in their security. I said they were there, and others on these boards aggressively attacked me. Now I am vindicated.

JonnyK

Im here at the world for vacation and security here has been beefing up lately, saw a k9 dog team at epcot this morning and lot of cops out front near the exit when epcot closes, as holidays is coming up and i can see why theyre concerned with every guest safety, its good to see them out here protecting us from any threats.

PhotoDave219

OK. So we're up to 3 pages, everyone has sounded off and chosen sides, and we've yet to know (a) just how much of this is a rumor, (b) any concept of how some of this will be implemented, or (c) what actual impact there will be.

I should start a pool for how many more posts or pages until we actually have factual detail from TDO.

We won't until they actually happen.

We all know they don't comment on security

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom