News New security measures

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
Yes but at 'soft' targets a 'soft' security model works best and to the horror of the anti-gunners that also includes properly trained civilians with weapons. What you don't want is some yahoo with a firearm blazing away with no training or fire discipline.

Unfortunately in many instances cops are not properly trained with firearms which is why you hear stories about hundreds of rounds fired yet only bystanders are hit. Our local gun club used to allow police to train at no charge, We were forced to stop by too many holes in the floors walls and ceilings caused by wannabe Wyatt Earp's in blue uniforms. And yes we had the video so we knew exactly who committed the negligent discharges

Having participated in several MCI drills, The biggest initial problems are lack of communications and manpower. Even at WDW if they hit the panic button, it is still going to take at least 15-30 minutes before you can get enough manpower to address the throngs of fleeing, panicked and injured people. During the initial stage of the event, confusion, miscommunication, and misinformation are prevalent. Drilling helps, but even the best law enforcement agencies are susceptible to this. I don't think you're going to see OCSD and surrounding agencies responding to Disney not being trained and ready. But I do think that they will be very overwhelmed at any major incident that happens at WDW. I would imagine that DS is probably their biggest concern for the fact that it is not a controlled space. Unlike the theme parks which I would consider hardened targets, DS is open, accessible, packed with people, and it would be identified with Disney World. Which would pack the same psychological punch.

Side note, I know cast members get a background check. I would assume that there is no screening for them before they enter the parks?

Last edited:

WDWVolFan

Wish they would scan your magic band while they do the body scan...would save time.
So no more 40 year old Darth Vaders around the park huh?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Having participated in several MCI drills, The biggest initial problems are lack of communications and manpower. Even at WDW if they hit the panic button, it is still going to take at least 15-30 minutes before you can get enough manpower to address the throngs of fleeing, panicked and injured people. During the initial stage of the event, confusion, miscommunication, and misinformation are prevalent. Drilling helps, but even the best law enforcement agencies are susceptible to this. I don't think you're going to with OCSD and surrounding agencies responding to Disney not being trained and ready. But I do think that they will be very overwhelmed at any major incident that happens at WDW. I would imagine that DS is probably their biggest concern for the fact that it is not a controlled space. Unlike the theme parks which I would consider hardened targets, DS is open, accessible, packed with people, and it would be identified with Disney World. Which would pack the same psychological punch.

Side note, I know cast members get a background check. I would assume that there is no screening for them before they enter the parks?

Absolutely, I'm also involved with county and state emergency management as a volunteer and we do WMD/Natural Disaster drills about 4x year and I'd say you are being generous with your estimates in that the first thing that breaks down is communications especially between the public and public safety agencies as people overwhelm the front lines.

Even keeping lines open interagency is a challenge especially when you have senior managers who no longer can use cellphones and you ask them to compose their message on a IC-213 for transmission and no they CANNOT send a message to their families

What always happens in these drills/incidents is the 'Fog of War' descends and it takes superhuman efforts to overcome it.

Eve

I just got back from WDW and I noticed a bit more security at the parks than normal. Armed, uniformed police were standing at the bag check. I was glad to see them there. The bag check really wasn't any better than usual, though.

While at Epcot, I saw a woman in a full burka with only her eyes showing. I know they recently caught a guy trying to bring a gun in because they could see it bulging in his clothes. So how do they deal with the loose robes of a burka or similar religious garment?

rucifee

I just got back from WDW and I noticed a bit more security at the parks than normal. Armed, uniformed police were standing at the bag check. I was glad to see them there. The bag check really wasn't any better than usual, though.

So, Disney's getting free security using my tax dollars? Why is this OK? They should be out patrolling other businesses and residential areas, not patrolling a theme park.

DisneyFans4Life

I'm not surprised this is coming up now and I'll be interested to see what actual measures start getting implemented. If it takes a bit longer to get into the parks because of a more thorough security screen, then so be it. I'll simply arrive at the parks a few minutes early :)

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
If I were to be a gun toting terrorist.... Why would I walk through the front gate.... When there are hundreds of entry points where I can pose as almost anything and get onsite?

I think this is yet another 'show them something...'

Does anyone think it would be that hard for someone to simply get hired to work there and do something after simply getting backstage?

This kind of stuff isn't going to do anything to stop the determined... Only the irrational stupid ones. I bet they fear ex employees more than isis
Nothing stops anything really, but this will increase security. Thats all you can ask for.

What is your suggestion?

JohnD

So, Disney's getting free security using my tax dollars? Why is this OK? They should be out patrolling other businesses and residential areas, not patrolling a theme park.

You're joking. So, the Orange County Sheriff's Office shouldn't be providing coverage in its county? What do you think police/sheriff's officers are but security paid for with tax dollars?

gmajew

Premium Member
With what is going on in the world today we will need to add more security to public places and prime targets. It is sad that the world has become this way and that you can no longer let your kids go down to the park and play ball because you are scared or that schools have to lock the doors because people have become nuts.

The said thing is is that no matter what we do to try to protect ourselves and our families if someone really wants to go nuts they will and nothing we can do can stop it so we must continue to live our lives and not let fear over take us.

So I applaud all organizations that are beefing up security to try to help protect us, and I condemn all madmen that think killing or hurting innocent woman and children is acceptable!

rucifee

You're joking. So, the Orange County Sheriff's Office shouldn't be providing coverage in its county? What do you think police/sheriff's officers are but security paid for with tax dollars?

I didn't say they shouldn't provide coverage, but there's no reason they should be standing around. I think they would be better utilized out in the community, not standing around a theme park. WDW spans two counties.

JohnD

I didn't say they shouldn't provide coverage, but there's no reason they should be standing around. I think they would be better utilized out in the community, not standing around a theme park. WDW spans two counties.

Thousands of guests a day. Millions of guests a year and no reason for them to "hang around". That's like saying the Super Bowl is once a year. Who needs security for that? They should be out in the community.

rucifee

Thousands of guests a day. Millions of guests a year and no reason for them to "hang around". That's like saying the Super Bowl is once a year. Who needs security for that? They should be out in the community.

I'm only questioning why I'm subsidizing it. If Disney is paying the counties for their services, there's no issue.

LeRaposa

I don't think scanners could ever be implemented. There are simply too many people entering the parks so the lines would be massive. Does anyone know on average how many people enter Magic Kingdom in a day? If there are thousands of people standing in line for the scanners, any terrorist could cause huge damage. Introducing scanners would be extremely stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom