News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

correcaminos

Concept art is a bit of a misnomer. Promotional art would really be a better term. A lot of the recent hotel art has been renderings of the “blueprints”.
True, promotional art is a better term.
True. It is an opinion whether themed resorts even matter, I’d argue they do.

Yes, “deluxe” usually refers to amenities, however, Disney is charging ludicrously insane amounts of money for supposedly deluxe resorts without “4 Seasons” perks.

4 Seasons, Ritz Carlton, those are actually deluxe.

Grand Floridian, Contemporary, absolutely not.

Disney’s Deluxe has never been about the service or amenities; while they’re better than say, Art of Animation, it has by and large been tied to to only the quality of the resort itself. It has always been about the theming.

Though I don’t know man, it’s not really a difference of opinion on what type of crowds visits a resort. Both Disneyland and Tokyo have more seasonal entertainment because they have to constantly add new things to bring people back. They both had a MUCH larger percentage of APs when they had them and that massively altered the make-up of the crowds at a park on any given day which was even more so amplified by the more easy reach of those APs. Logically it just makes sense: there’s just vastly more people in LA and Tokyo that are an afternoon away from Orlando, and both resorts have larger fandoms per capita to how many visit the entire resorts. Better quick-service, less guests relative to the ones that go not running like a chicken with their head cut off, among other things that come of it because the guests on those two properties demand more. Now it’s an opinion whether that matters, but I think it does. I’m sure @lentesta can accurately explain it far better than I can.

Those reasonably priced hotels at WDW are not convenient is my point because of the Disney bubble. You can’t just walk or hop on a monorail to the parks from a quality (though lack of themed), affordable hotel like you can at Tokyo or Anaheim, so you have to either shell out vastly more money for the same experience or be a bit of a drive away. My post explained that.

The crux of my argument was: WDW’s specialty of themed resorts is slipping away since guests aren’t demanding themed resorts to the detriment of the property which IMO is what has always made WDW special, and my lesser point was that DVC seems to be amplifying it further.
I agree about deluxe vs Disney "deluxe" completely. Part of why I am happy with DVC is that I don't expect all of that. I'm in a villa, I'm there for the size and room options - not uber special service. If I want that, I do it in the parks with a VIP tour or something lol. The only thing Disney "deluxe" offer are bigger rooms, less garish themes, and honestly just a hint more offerings at the resort (often better service to go with, but talking Motel 6 vs Holiday Inn - maybe Hilton).

As for ease of transportation, agree to disgree here. I've stayed in the Disney springs hotels. They have shuttles. You get perks similar to the Disneyland area hotels. Actually you get more. But there are many shuttles to and from the parks at WDW from not too badly priced hotels. Of course the super cheap ones do not, but I'm talking $150 or so a night. Again will not talk of Tokyo. A totally different place.

We view DLR through different lenses I think or think what touristy means as different. I know who goes there and it is a lot of locals playing tourist for the day as well as people stopping in on their way through other parts of CA. I will say it isn't as much of a sole destination as WDW is, but WDW used to be that way too (grew up going to both). Your points on APs are valid though. Part of why I was so shocked that WDW kept APs out so long. They weren't the issue near as much. But in feel - I mean sure some might be more local - but it's similar to me. I have yet to personally go to Tokyo to comment. I know it is totally different and understand reasons why they might be. Not much to do with DVC though and all about cultures and locations.

I get that some themes are lessening in your mind. I agree with some but not all. I just don't think DVC is even relevant to that discussion.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
True, promotional art is a better term.

I agree about deluxe vs Disney "deluxe" completely. Part of why I am happy with DVC is that I don't expect all of that. I'm in a villa, I'm there for the size and room options - not uber special service. If I want that, I do it in the parks with a VIP tour or something lol. The only thing Disney "deluxe" offer are bigger rooms, less garish themes, and honestly just a hint more offerings at the resort (often better service to go with, but talking Motel 6 vs Holiday Inn - maybe Hilton).

As for ease of transportation, agree to disgree here. I've stayed in the Disney springs hotels. They have shuttles. You get perks similar to the Disneyland area hotels. Actually you get more. But there are many shuttles to and from the parks at WDW from not too badly priced hotels. Of course the super cheap ones do not, but I'm talking $150 or so a night. Again will not talk of Tokyo. A totally different place.

We view DLR through different lenses I think or think what touristy means as different. I know who goes there and it is a lot of locals playing tourist for the day as well as people stopping in on their way through other parts of CA. I will say it isn't as much of a sole destination as WDW is, but WDW used to be that way too (grew up going to both). Your points on APs are valid though. Part of why I was so shocked that WDW kept APs out so long. They weren't the issue near as much. But in feel - I mean sure some might be more local - but it's similar to me. I have yet to personally go to Tokyo to comment. I know it is totally different and understand reasons why they might be. Not much to do with DVC though and all about cultures and locations.

I get that some themes are lessening in your mind. I agree with some but not all. I just don't think DVC is even relevant to that discussion.
Fair points!

Sir_Cliff

“You can see the sea; it’s over there between the land and the sky!”
"Well may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain?"

I guess we should stop before we're banned!

correcaminos

Does anyone here have educated insight into how my Jan 20 thru 27, 2024 stay at Polynesian in Tokelau building will be affected by this construction ? thx 🙏 😊
It won't really at all. The construction is on the other side of the resort. Unless you walk to GF you'll see a different path, but otherwise you won't really see anything at all from that side of the resort.

CaptainAmerica

Does anyone here have educated insight into how my Jan 20 thru 27, 2024 stay at Polynesian in Tokelau building will be affected by this construction ? thx 🙏 😊

It won't really at all. The construction is on the other side of the resort. Unless you walk to GF you'll see a different path, but otherwise you won't really see anything at all from that side of the resort.

not at all.
+1

We were just there a couple of months ago and the only time you were even aware of the construction was when you rode by on the monorail.

Da Bird is Da Word

not at all.

+1

We were just there a couple of months ago and the only time you were even aware of the construction was when you rode by on the monorail.

Thanks! Good to know 🙏

correcaminos

After seeing the construction progress in person, this still feels very out of place. I know it isn’t finished but it looks like it should be next to the Contemporary and not between the Grand Floridian and Polynesian.
I still think seeing concrete like this is giving it a wrong vibe. It doesn't feel that much taller than VGF.

dreday3

I still think seeing concrete like this is giving it a wrong vibe. It doesn't feel that much taller than VGF.

We saw it in person last week and it is impossible to really pass judgement due to just what you said. The decorative style can't even be discerned yet and no, it's not that tall.

I will say what we noticed is that it seems like it will be an abrupt change in theming from Polynesian to Grand Floridian just due to the closer proximity of the two hotels. Maybe that can be fixed with some kind of transitional landscaping? Although no clue what that would be.

Brian

The concrete will eventually be themed to similar colors and tones of the rest of the resort. That said, the clash and break in consistency of the theme of the Polynesian will be broken by having a tower on the grounds. There's something about wandering the grounds of the resort that felt rather intimate, given the consistency of the theme and the low nature of the buildings, and that is broken now.

James Alucobond

The concrete will eventually be themed to similar colors and tones of the rest of the resort. That said, the clash and break in consistency of the theme of the Polynesian will be broken by having a tower on the grounds. There's something about wandering the grounds of the resort that felt rather intimate, given the consistency of the theme and the low nature of the buildings, and that is broken now.
I kind of disagree. To be clear, I'm not saying it will be thematically consistent or that the transition from the longhouses to the DVC building won't be abrupt, but the intimacy of all but, like, two of the existing longhouses is completely undisrupted, and even for those two, only certain rooms are affected. You quite simply can't see this building from most locations on the grounds of the Polynesian. The loss to me is that the path by Luau Cove was a really peaceful one I enjoyed walking, but I imagine it will be a bit busier now.

Brian

I kind of disagree. To be clear, I'm not saying it will be thematically consistent or that the transition from the longhouses to the DVC building won't be abrupt, but the intimacy of all but, like, two of the existing longhouses is completely undisrupted, and even for those two, only certain rooms are affected. You quite simply can't see this building from most locations on the grounds of the Polynesian. The loss to me is that the path by Luau Cove was a really peaceful one I enjoyed walking, but I imagine it will be a bit busier now.
I haven't been to the Poly since they began demo on Luau Cove, so I'm glad to hear the tower can't be seen from elsewhere on the grounds. I had assumed it would be visible throughout.

I will miss the serenity of that area surrounding Luau Cove.

James Alucobond

I haven't been to the Poly since they began demo on Luau Cove, so I'm glad to hear the tower can't be seen from elsewhere on the grounds. I had assumed it would be visible throughout.

I will miss the serenity of that area surrounding Luau Cove.
Yeah, I was concerned about it, but at least at this point, it's basically a non-issue from the majority of the longhouses that aren't Fiji and Aotearoa. You could look back from all the way out on the dock and see it, but I don't generally stand around out there. Only thing I could see being affected that I couldn't check on was the bungalows, but I couldn't go out to check since those are gated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom