News New Polynesian Resort DVC villas building to open 2024

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I am aware of timeshares not being big in either location. Correlation does not equal causation.

Also I do feel that DLR is just as touristy as WDW so I don't follow your line of thinking there.

As a DVC member I am also not sure I agree that some are cheaply being made always. In fact I don't think RR was cheaply made after visiting. Nor do I think BLT and AKL definitely has DVC and lovely.

Again I agree about timeshares not being big in either DLR or Tokyo, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. JMO.
Disneyland is absolutely not as touristy as WDW, from the share of locals visiting to the smaller amount of “once in a lifetime vacationers.” Disney knows this and thus price gauges WDW in the sense that it has a higher appeal amongst the world. From expensive hotels to expensive subpar table service, the per guest spending is leagues higher in Orlando. Disneyland and Tokyo both have far better quality options for quick service, more affordable table service, and a plethora of affordable, convenient hotels. Sure, they’re not in as much of a bubble, but you’re paying for that bubble amidst weaker parks.

My fear is WDW’s “outside the parks” strong suit is eroding.

Timeshares are a symptom of WDW being large and thus justifying a timeshare for the length of time it takes to do it right, and requiring more time to do everything given the higher wait times and fewer things spread out over more parks. That’s in addition to things like Water Parks, Disney Springs and other “resort” activities, AND the fact a much higher percentage of guests are willing to drop crazy amounts of money since they’re catering to that. There simply aren’t quality, convenient, affordable hotel options at WDW like the other two resorts mentioned have. They lack theming sure, but now Disney is charging deluxe prices for hotels without theming.

Having only 2 deluxe hotels at each resort compared to WDW’s 10(?) yet Orlando can still pack people into them means they have the market power to shift those consumers to timeshares which are far cheaper to build (since they lack theming), and of course, operate. Most of the new DVCs are competing with that “deluxe” tier, but it is still massively overpriced just like their deluxe resorts are, except without said theming.

I wasn’t talking about the rooms, but the lack of themed design throughout the resort, as they’ve clearly realized the cost-benefit is just not there for DVC to theme. It is objectively cheaper to have an unadorned blank box than go all in. AKL is the lone exception (I mean Saratoga is nice but it also lacks theming), but it has also been a while. It’s more of a recent trend that I’m commenting on from Riviera to this Poly expansion and the put-on-hold Reflections where there is zero emphasis on it.

They can sell them despite a lack of that “Disney touch.” That’s the issue.

This is what the French Riviera actually looks like.
1682733861937.jpeg

The Italian Riviera.
1682788670965.jpeg

This is what we got for the Riviera Resort.
1682733924215.jpeg

I don’t even think it looks bad, but it looks awfully similar to a typical Wyndham timeshare rather than a transportative Disney themed resort. Guests need to do a better job of demanding more instead of paying ludicrous amounts per night for resorts that lack what made those deluxe resorts special.
1682733910155.jpeg

I have no problem with timeshares in concept, but the execution of them has involved cheating out on themed design compared to what they are charging.

I couldn’t justify it price wise, but a resort like the Wilderness Lodge at WDW does at least have unique and expensive theming that somewhat makes it deserving of its price.
FF96C98A-5415-47DD-BF6D-01A75CB4DDBE.jpeg

I think the Riviera lobby looks pretty solid, but it’s also not a random $150 a night Marriott. It’s a much more expensive resort at a place known for immersive hotels. An extension of the parks if you will (and yes, I’m fully aware timeshares don’t tend to have as elaborate lobbies).
5CC88085-5C37-4BAD-AC5F-B918209B4F9F.jpeg

Versus the Wilderness Lodge lobby.
4FD4D2E0-6ABA-4545-90C2-B8C4774F4E13.jpeg

This is what a walking distance hotel to Disneyland (4 Points Sheraton Anaheim) looks like that costs $120 a night. The difference is negligible between this and Riviera, or Bay Lake Tower, etc.
BA00D3C8-CAAB-4F44-8F15-3ACF2A5126D6.jpeg

I think timeshare resorts like Riviera are fine, and it still has quality fixtures and furnishings, but it’s a shame that themed resorts seem to be a thing of the past for Disney and that they’re still able to charge exorbitant amounts of money for it. I demand elite experiences for crazy prices. Fine just doesn’t cut it for me.

Why would I logically shell out obscene amounts of money when a similar experience can be found for far less?

That being said, I think the new rooms at Poly and the Grand Floridian DVC are fantastic. It’s the… Riviera and others that are glaring examples of resorts without a theme.

Last edited:

mysto

I wasn’t talking about the rooms, but the lack of themed design throughout the resort, as they’ve clearly realized the cost-benefit is just not
there for DVC to theme.

I would argue that all recent construction is weakly themed not just DVC. Almost all recent construction is DVC, they just aren't building anything else, but if they did I expect the theming would also be weak.

So DVC isn't the cause of the weak theming in my mind, it just represents all recent examples.

Great post with a lot of stuff btw. I'd like to know what some of the images are images of, needs captions.

nickys

Premium Member
Disney didn’t say anything about which Riviera the resort was based on. The English Riviera was at one point recently said to be the 5th most expensive property area in the world! 😳

However all the photos of Walt that adorn the walls of the resort are of him in Italy, not France. And every Riviera has it’s towers, it’s not all pretty postcards.

I would have liked a bit more aesthetic though, I agree.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Disneyland is absolutely not as touristy as WDW, from the share of locals visiting to the smaller amount of “once in a lifetime vacationers.” Disney knows this and thus price gauges WDW in the sense that it has a higher appeal amongst the world. From expensive hotels to expensive subpar table service, the per guest spending is leagues higher in Orlando. Disneyland and Tokyo both have far better quality options for quick service, more affordable table service, and a plethora of affordable, convenient hotels. Sure, they’re not in as much of a bubble, but you’re paying for that bubble amidst weaker parks.

My fear is WDW’s “outside the parks” strong suit is eroding.

Timeshares are a symptom of WDW being large and thus justifying a timeshare for the length of time it takes to do it right, and requiring more time to do everything given the higher wait times and fewer things spread out over more parks. That’s in addition to things like Water Parks, Disney Springs and other “resort” activities, AND the fact a much higher percentage of guests are willing to drop crazy amounts of money since they’re catering to that. There simply aren’t quality, convenient, affordable hotel options at WDW like the other two resorts mentioned have. They lack theming sure, but now Disney is charging deluxe prices for hotels without theming.

Having only 2 deluxe hotels at each resort compared to WDW’s 10(?) yet Orlando can still pack people into them means they have the market power to shift those consumers to timeshares which are far cheaper to build (since they lack theming), and of course, operate. Most of the new DVCs are competing with that “deluxe” tier, but it is still massively overpriced just like their deluxe resorts are, except without said theming.

I wasn’t talking about the rooms, but the lack of themed design throughout the resort, as they’ve clearly realized the cost-benefit is just not there for DVC to theme. It is objectively cheaper to have an unadorned blank box than go all in. AKL is the lone exception (I mean Saratoga is nice but it also lacks theming), but it has also been a while. It’s more of a recent trend that I’m commenting on from Riviera to this Poly expansion and the put-on-hold Reflections where there is zero emphasis on it.

They can sell them despite a lack of that “Disney touch.” That’s the issue.

View attachment 713334

This is what we got.
View attachment 713336

I don’t even think it looks bad, but it looks awfully similar to a Wyndham timeshare rather than a transportative Disney themed resort. Guests need to do a better job of demanding more instead of paying ludicrous amounts per night for resorts that lack what made those deluxe resorts special.
View attachment 713335

I have no problem with timeshares in concept, but the execution of them has involved cheating out on themed design compared to what they are charging.

I couldn’t justify it price wise, but a resort like this does at least have unique and expensive theming that somewhat makes it deserving of its price.
View attachment 713338

I think this looks pretty solid, but it’s also not a random $150 a night Marriott. It’s a much more expensive resort at a place known for immersive hotels. An extension of the parks if you will (and yes, I’m fully aware timeshare don’t tend to have as elaborate lobbies).
View attachment 713339

Versus.
View attachment 713337

This is what a walking distance hotel to Disneyland looks like that costs $120 a night. The difference is negligible between this and Riviera, or Bay Lake Tower, etc.
View attachment 713340

I think timeshare resorts like Riviera are fine, and it still has quality fixtures and furnishings, but it’s a shame that themed resorts seem to be a thing of the past for Disney and that they’re still able to charge exorbitant amounts of money for it. I demand elite experiences for crazy prices. Fine just doesn’t cut it for me.
We will have to agree to disagree on what we feel is touristy - and frankly most of the rest. Though yes WL is lovely and why I bought a CCV contract. Disney has gone softer on themes as a whole but some are still better than others. The white bedding I loathe. However most of that is pure opinion.

What you are missing is amenities at a resort are what make it deluxe. Disney misses on that but that's true of their non DVC. The themes mean nothing honestly

There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels near WDW too. My kid was just in one over spring break. $150 a night. They exist in Orlando too. Disney hotels are not the only option either way. And if WL is too rich for your blood, why get bent out of shape about an exterior only artist rendering or concrete?

My entire point though is that DVC is not the cause.

So DVC isn't the cause of the weak theming in my mind.
100%
Disney didn’t say anything about which Riviera the resort was based on. The English Riviera was at one point recently said to be the 5th most expensive property area in the world! 😳

However all the photos of Walt that adorn the walls of the resort are of him in Italy, not France. And every Riviera has it’s towers, it’s not all pretty postcards.

I would have liked a bit more aesthetic though, I agree.
Like VGF I do think it was very well done, I just don't like it. Looking at older Italian riviera photos it wasn't a miss. Inside the rooms it does feel upscale (though I have only been in a studio while visiting). I'm hard pressed to love for other reasons.

All this seems irrelevant to the thread though. All we have is concrete. The exterior looks better than some modern hotels from Hawaii, Tahiti, Tuvalu, Fiji. It reminds me of a luxury resort in Waikiki really.

nickys

Premium Member
Like VGF I do think it was very well done, I just don't like it. Looking at older Italian riviera photos it wasn't a miss. Inside the rooms it does feel upscale (though I have only been in a studio while visiting). I'm hard pressed to love for other reasons.

All this seems irrelevant to the thread though. All we have is concrete. The exterior looks better than some modern hotels from Hawaii, Tahiti, Tuvalu, Fiji. It reminds me of a luxury resort in Waikiki really.
I liked Riviera when I went to visit. I wasn’t too impressed with the kitchen, I really don’t like galley kitchens. But the resort was lovely on the inside, and I liked the feel of the outside areas too. It’s just the building could do with a bit more colour, It looks bleak to me.

The concept art suggests the Poly Tower should look a bit better on the exterior, I’ll wait before judging it solely on the basis of a concrete structure.

correcaminos

I liked Riviera when I went to visit. I wasn’t too impressed with the kitchen, I really don’t like galley kitchens. But the resort was lovely on the inside, and I liked the feel of the outside areas too. It’s just the building could do with a bit more colour, It looks bleak to me.

The concept art suggests the Poly Tower should look a bit better on the exterior, I’ll wait before judging it solely on the basis of a concrete structure.
I have a galley kitchen at home. Common for old homes in my area so I'm used to them. I haven’t been in Riviera's personally, but if it's like CCV I'd be fine.

The colors on the outside are fine to me. Hate the lack of greenery though. Still unsure about using my own points to stay.

The exterior of the new PVB Tower looks good to me. Fits the theme. Hoping the rooms are as awesome as Josh D'Amaro claimed. I'm sure the mock ups have changed since though. Quite pleased with refurb at PVB as it is (outside of bedding) so I'm hopeful.

I was talking to my guide yesterday and hopefully I'll just be adding on there. I get some people don't like change. Some actually enjoyed the luau, but I also think hating on Disney is a sport for some. They'll never do right to all.

nickys

Premium Member
It’s the lack of kitchen counter space that’s the issue at Riviera. No room even for a chopping board so food prep would have to be done at the table, which then means you can’t set that until you’ve cleared it. Fine if you’re doing something that takes time to cook but no good for something like a stor-fry that takes 5 minutes once you add the veg.

correcaminos

It’s the lack of kitchen counter space that’s the issue at Riviera. No room even for a chopping board so food prep would have to be done at the table, which then means you can’t set that until you’ve cleared it. Fine if you’re doing something that takes time to cook but no good for something like a stor-fry that takes 5 minutes once you add the veg.
I get it. Like I said I have a galley kitchen at home. Storage and space are at a premium. We adapted but for most it could seem hard. Then again I don't do cooking like that on vacation anyway. Mostly because I'm the cook at home and vacations give me time off 😀 I know many who are not used to certain kitchens share your complaints

correcaminos

I know, I’m just saying. It was a classic part of the Polynesian to me.

Also uprooting a banyan really sets it back from a growth perspective. Since the roots grow down from the branches.
And it will continue to be a classic part of the resort. They safely moved it and that happens often enough there are companies that specialize in moving these trees. I'm very confident the tree is fine. Sorry but I'm not understanding the issue here.

IMO it looks like it's totally out o place
Might want them to cover the concrete before deciding. It will be much darker in color.

MickeyCB

Does anyone know, if there is any possibility that they would be building this without balconies? Or do they get added later?
There are very few things I enjoy more than sitting out on a balcony at Disney and watching the sights, it's one of the reasons we ended up buying into DVC in the first place.

correcaminos

Does anyone know, if there is any possibility that they would be building this without balconies? Or do they get added later?
There are very few things I enjoy more than sitting out on a balcony at Disney and watching the sights, it's one of the reasons we ended up buying into DVC in the first place.
They will have balconies per the drawing. They are added later. I love watching from the balcony too. 2 bedroom lagoon view will be rough, but worth it.

correcaminos

The concept art depicted balconies but then, of course its concept art, the reality may be different.
Though it can change, the reality is that aspect has been very accurate in the last set of drawings. They made it clear that VDH didn't have them in some spots. Florida tries to give them based on descriptions I think. If they removed them, the look would totally change and not look like some hotels I've seen in Hawaii and such.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
We will have to agree to disagree on what we feel is touristy - and frankly most of the rest. Though yes WL is lovely and why I bought a CCV contract. Disney has gone softer on themes as a whole but some are still better than others. The white bedding I loathe. However most of that is pure opinion.

What you are missing is amenities at a resort are what make it deluxe. Disney misses on that but that's true of their non DVC. The themes mean nothing honestly

There are plenty of reasonably priced hotels near WDW too. My kid was just in one over spring break. $150 a night. They exist in Orlando too. Disney hotels are not the only option either way. And if WL is too rich for your blood, why get bent out of shape about an exterior only artist rendering or concrete?

My entire point though is that DVC is not the cause.

100%

True. It is an opinion whether themed resorts even matter, I’d argue they do.

Yes, “deluxe” usually refers to amenities, however, Disney is charging ludicrously insane amounts of money for supposedly deluxe resorts without “4 Seasons” perks.

4 Seasons, Ritz Carlton, those are actually deluxe.

Grand Floridian, Contemporary, absolutely not.

Disney’s Deluxe has never been about the service or amenities; while they’re better than say, Art of Animation, it has by and large been tied to to only the quality of the resort itself. It has always been about the theming.

Though I don’t know man, it’s not really a difference of opinion on what type of crowds visits a resort. Both Disneyland and Tokyo have more seasonal entertainment because they have to constantly add new things to bring people back. They both had a MUCH larger percentage of APs when they had them and that massively altered the make-up of the crowds at a park on any given day which was even more so amplified by the more easy reach of those APs. Logically it just makes sense: there’s just vastly more people in LA and Tokyo that are an afternoon away than Orlando, and both resorts have larger fandoms per capita to how many visit the entire resorts. Better quick-service, less guests relative to the ones that go not running like a chicken with their head cut off, among other things that come of it because the guests on those two properties demand more. Now it’s an opinion whether that matters, but I think it does. I’m sure @lentesta can accurately explain it far better than I can.

Those reasonably priced hotels at WDW are not convenient is my point because of the Disney bubble. You can’t just walk or hop on a monorail to the parks from a quality (though lack of themed), affordable hotel like you can at Tokyo or Anaheim, so you have to either shell out vastly more money for the same experience or be a bit of a drive away. My post explained that.

The crux of my argument was: WDW’s specialty of themed resorts is slipping away since guests aren’t demanding themed resorts to the detriment of the property which IMO is what has always made WDW special, and my lesser point was that DVC seems to be amplifying it further.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom