New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

cjkeating

I was checking out some recent Rivers of Light videos on YouTube and it seems that the fire tower has been out (not even extending upwards) on most of the videos uploaded this month. Anyone know what the problem is?

Jeremy P

I was checking out some recent Rivers of Light videos on YouTube and it seems that the fire tower has been out (not even extending upwards) on most of the videos uploaded this month. Anyone know what the problem is?

While I can't comment on the problem, I can confirm that last week it was not in use during performances.

Jeremy P

Do you know if it was intentionally not used, are they trying something different? or was it an actual technical problem?

Again, I'm no expert but it definitely appeared to be technical to me. The lotus was wide open and the ladder was very visible inside but they didn't even attempt to raise it from what I could see. I know there's a lot of back and forth on the show but I thought it was beautiful. I did feel it was lacking a little *umph* at the end but otherwise, it was honestly a site to see.

RSoxNo1

It didn't work when I was there mid September.

note2001

The lotus isn't working? RATS. I have my first chance at seeing this next month and have intentionally stayed away from watching the videos online so I don't ruin the first time effect. While I'm not one for making sure I have the perfect seat, I do want to see a fully functional show. Here's hoping the giant lotus doesn't turn into another yeti sized blister on the park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The lotus isn't working? RATS. I have my first chance at seeing this next month and have intentionally stayed away from watching the videos online so I don't ruin the first time effect. While I'm not one for making sure I have the perfect seat, I do want to see a fully functional show. Here's hoping the giant lotus doesn't turn into another yeti sized blister on the park.
We’re taking about the “finale” Tower.

FullSailDan

You mean like how Illuminations uses one of those torches as a centerpiece in the finale?

There's a whole lot more going on at the end of Illuminations than the globe torch, which is also much larger than the ones along the edge of the lagoon. I'm the first to say that Rivers of Light is a beautiful display when the weather, lighting, and stars align just right. But it's really easy for it to go pear shaped. A breeze more than 5mph causes the water cannons to not connect and large portions of the projection end up missing. The projections also seem to be frequently out of focus. As a show... it lacks a few things most audiences would like. An exciting finale is one of them, along with a clear/easy to follow story line. We can debate high art forms of storytelling all day, bottom line though, the target demographic for this show isn't one accustomed to seeing the opera and reading the synopsis ahead of time. RoL requires explanation for most to understand. But it is visually very interesting when all cylinders are firing.

Finally we get to the finale... the stick on fire is introduced.. and it feels like were being shown something that doesn't belong and was designed for a high school production of a show. Sure it has fire and moves on the water, but there's a certain...juvenile aspect to it. The fire is rather small, on the scale of small torches you'd see on the outside of Medieval Times or something. It's not impressive. The stick alone is jarring in comparison to the rest of the structures in the show. (Harsh latticed like edges compared to soft sweeping curves of the boats, lotus' etc.) But let's just think about this from a story perspective.. why is fire here at all? Up until now the show has two main characters, light and water. Suddenly we have fire.. is this supposed to be a more powerful version of light? Why? What happened? Couldn't we figure out a really amazing light display?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom