1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New nighttime show 'Rivers of Light' confirmed to be coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by wdwmagic, Oct 12, 2013.

1. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

But Rivers Of Light is the first time WDW did a show in a long time that is not using IP's since Illuminations Reflections Of Earth and Tapestry of Nations.

2. brb1006

Yeah but a live action character (The Jungle Book show that ran months ago) doesn't translate well with water screens and you could barely make out the scene or whats going on.

Tahu likes this.
  3. Tahu

Tahu Well-Known Member

That's more of an issue that they did almost nothing to process and optimize the movie footage to work better for water screens.

Rivers of Light's projections are almost all documentary footage from the DisneyNature films, but they had the sense to highlight and accent the animals they had cut from their original surroundings. Like there's a bit of a glow on outlines and you have the firefly spots surrounding them.

dreamscometrue and brb1006 like this.
  4. rushtest4echo

rushtest4echo Well-Known Member

I know I've said it before but it bears repeating after I've seen the show 10+ times- the back projections and lasers look pretty darn good from the bridge. In fact, I think those screens look better there than when standing next to the show booth! Which is a shame, because it means that the off-angle viewing is really what makes those screens not so hot and probably isn't fixable. It's like being to the side of the screens on Fantasmic of World of Color, there's just a loss of fidelity.

If you want to see what they're really capable of, catch the show from there. My suggestion is to see the show once from either side of the real theaters, and then to make your way to the bridge shortly after for the second showing. Don't bother with Flame Tree or the sides, you're not missing anything from those vantage points. However, there are elements of the show that are significantly different from the bridge.

Of course, that's if you care about that sort of thing. I wouldn't dare recommend watching the show there on your first, or probably even second or third viewing. You can't see many of the shows elements from the bridge and the music is only passable up there. Still, it's an interesting perspective to watch the show from (and not just on Youtube). I found myself focusing far more on the entire field of the show from up there (which is admittedly easy since the floats aren't there drawing your attention).

MisterPenguin likes this.
  5. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

That's the absolute dumbest thing I've ever heard. If they run their parks that way, I don't know what to say anymore :(

El_Tomato and flyerjab like this.
  6. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Hoping I finally get to see the show this week! Was able to snag a FP on Thursday, though I'd guess that I'd probably wouldn't need one. Some even say watching it on the Dinoland bridge is better! LOL

Pray for no technical glitches! LOL

7. Jeremy Geertsema

Jeremy Geertsema Well-Known Member

Just got back from my recent trip and FINALLY SAW ROL! Actually saw it twice (in the same night) once with dining package and once with Fastpass.

Anyways, I loved it! It was just as I imagined it would be. It's such a subtle, but elegant show. The floats, THE MUSIC, the performers, everything is just so gorgeous! The tech in the show is so impressive, the owl release on the water side and that tiger scene on the fire side is incredible! The Asia side is stronger than the Dino side, but they are both very good. It fits AK perfectly and I can't wait to see it again! I hope they don't create a new show but rather add to the current one to make it even more fantastic!

8. mnelson3

mnelson3 Well-Known Member

Still curious if we will ever see the floating lanterns and other improvements such as the finale.

El_Tomato likes this.
  9. jaxonp

jaxonp Well-Known Member

I wonder that too, but honestly after seeing it a few times I'm not sure that they're necessary. This is almost too much going on right now. I think anything more and it might become messy. I don't think that the abundance of floats and projections comes through as well in a YouTube video as well as it does in person.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    dreamscometrue and mnelson3 like this.
  10. Derrit

Derrit Well-Known Member

Does anyone suspect them making a holiday version of the show or a tag? I know the show was just released but would be nice if AK had a nice holiday offering as well.

Tony the Tigger likes this.
  11. JudyHopps

JudyHopps Well-Known Member

Maybe a version for the holidays could tie into a "winter" version of Rivers of Light. I have that same feeling as well.

12. jaxonp

jaxonp Well-Known Member

This sounds terrifying with this shows many difficulties...

13. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

I echo these thoughts.

I just saw it tonight via FP/Asia section (and if there are two shows, check for a FP, I was able to get a FP for the second show too but didn't stay; I was too exhausted) and LOVED IT.

Everything I wanted the nighttime show to be for Animal Kingdom. I've watched videos but you have to see it in person. Everything is a lot closer to you than I thought it would be. Unfortunately, yet also fortunately because it was so hot out, a breeze kicked in and sort of ruined a lot of the projections on the water screens. When the wind was dead the projections were fantastic (the small lotus ones were better) but be aware if you cant see the projections it's likely the wind. (Maybe they should project onto trees in the background like they do before the show). Seeing it in person finally was amazing. Crowd seemed to love it. Very impressive show overall. And while I can't put my finger on it, I can see why some say it needs work, the positioning isn't always great, but man ... the music, the floats ... I loved it! I'd like to see it worked on, not replaced.

Also loved the fireflies in the trees and the projections of the animals before the show starts.

And just because I feel we're spirit animals with this show, paging @prfctlyximprct

Between this and all the entertainment spread out through the park, Animal Kingdom is hands down my favorite park. They're knocking it out of the park big time. They're in a different league than Epcot and Hollywood Studios, who need their makeovers big time.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  14. AJH219

AJH219 Well-Known Member

Did you happen to catch the fantastic (non-character) dance party that happens across from Flame Tree?

dreamscometrue likes this.
  15. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Yes! I did! By total accident. I loved the music. I even took a little video on my phone. Only park I took video of the entertainment.

Amazing how the children can have fun without characters, isn't it?

COProgressFan, Jones14 and AJH219 like this.
  16. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

That was good.

dreamscometrue, brb1006 and Kman101 like this.
  17. Kman101

Kman101 Premium Member

Animal Kingdom has the best street entertainment. And it's great to see things going on at night, a large variety of things, although some things still close up shop way too early. Like, why is Flights of Wonder done before 4pm? (EDIT: Maybe too many shows for the birds? But spread the shows out). And I don't do the character photos but many of them also stop way before darkness falls. My only Animal Kingdom complaint is the theaters and the loading of them. I don't know how to improve it but it's chaos.

Epcot and especially Magic Kingdom could use a boost in the entertainment, especially after night. It's also time to stop closing down Epcot at 9pm. World Showcase needs to be open until 11pm every night.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  18. brb1006

I need to find more video of that.

19. dreamscometrue

dreamscometrue Well-Known Member

I made sure that when I was there recently with a large group of high school 12th grade students, that we 'stumbled' onto the dance party as soon as it was starting. :) We had no fewer than 15 people at anytime up there. I also very much enjoy 'Sunset Seranatas'...Victor Espinola on the Pyruvian harp.

COProgressFan, Kman101 and brb1006 like this.
  20. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Look on my site for DAK at Night :)