NEW HOTEL?

GiveMeTheMusic

Is that pretty much who uses the Disney Springs AMC? Always seemed like a nice extra for folks staying at the resort after their park visit.

Well sure, some resort guests use it, but at this point ticket sticker shock fatigue and the general movie theatre malaise hasn't helped anything. Fewer and fewer resort guests want to spend $300 on a multi day ticket and then pay $15-$20 per person for movie tickets.

Regardless, the movie theatre is no big loss in Disney's eyes. It's a huge chunk of space that will be better utilized printing money.

Antaundra

IMG_5069.JPG

The current Down Town Disney looks like a shopping centers designed and built in the early 2000s

IMG_5070.JPG

The new hotel looks like shopping centers being designed and built in 2017.

DLR92

AGW shut down its Movie Theaters, Anaheim has a lot of Movie Theater access, and anways, movie theaters in general are closing down, as folks opt for other ways to view them.

Thank you for posting this! I think watching movies is a waste of time if your gonna vacation away from home. i haven't even step foot in movie theaters for 8 years. Maybe I just don't find the experience worth it in general.

D

Deleted member 107043

Seriously? I can't believe how positively people are responding to this. It reminds me of the Disneyland hotel of my childhood. Ground level shops connecting the towers to the monorail station. The architecture is so sterile it reminds me of what was thought of as luxury in the 80s. Nothing about this is beautiful or inspiring. It's a land locked "south beach resort" with views of concrete and parking lots rather than beaches and ocean.

All that is true, but my first reaction was "wow", no kidding. It looks like the sort of place I'd want to vacation. Just plop it on a beach in Southern France or Mexico and we'd be good to go. :D

Just be glad it isn't going to be some kitschy and predictable California/faux Spanish Revival themed or IP branded property. The design is quite unexpected for Disney, and I mean that in a good way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DLR92

This is the basically the location originally earmarked for the Disneyland Resort Hotel in the original DLR/Westcot proposal seen adjacent to the lagoon in this image:

westcot2_resortillustrative.jpg

And here:

westcot1_newdisneylandresort.jpg

I like this expansion rendering. But I detest the new hotel placement. It doesn't flow well it in placement. I wonder if the new hotel would be called New Disneyland Hotel Resort. LOL

D

Deleted member 107043

I like this expansion rendering. But I detest the new hotel placement. It doesn't flow well it

The Disney Blog article says that this will be more than just a hotel and serve as the western entrance to DLR. I assume that means current paths will be rerouted through the structure with operational features similar to the Eastern Gateway incorporated here. There will be a dedicated DTD garage, so presumably this will also be where those guests enter on foot.

in placement. I wonder if the new hotel would be called New Disneyland Hotel Resort. LOL

I know. No one would ever get confused by that, right?

The_Mesh_Hatter

Disney is changing it's game and shifting its focus from the tug-a-war with Anaheim and is gazing west now. Taken alone, it seems like TDA is done with the shopping game. There's not much left to Downtown Disney right now, for now. Of course, in future decades, TDA could always gobble the Garden Walk when it becomes convenient, once the Toy Story Lot is razed for the third gate. But no longer having the Rainforest Cafe and AMC will be a big loss for rent, they make up a sizable chunk of Downtown Disney. It will be as if Downtown Disney now has 60% vacancy, square-footage speaking, with their loss.
What we are seeing is just one slice of a giant cake. Warning: this is my biased speculation.

I don't think the Mickey and Friend's shuttle is necessary. I believe the distance is something the able-bodied family can do. It's just a fraction of the distance someone will walk at Disneyland. There are already options for people who have health issues that prevent from walking the distance. Heck, half Toy Story Lot, which is serviced by a shuttle could be dedicated to handicapped parking.

My analysis of what's happening doesn't demand the complete removal of the Mickey and Friends shuttle. Just half of it.

What's going on in the bottom of this picture??

NoysxKY.png

I'm talking about right............................................................Here^
....the two lane road turning into the back face of the monorail.
It doesn't exist currently:
ATNh5hu.jpg

Could it be the *new* shuttle drop off area? It's cramped, but with this new "gateway" officially moved further back, the "walk" from Mickey & Friend (and even more so, the new lot) to the resort "entrance" is shorter. So maybe Disney is banking on people being more willing to make the walk if the tram doesn't cover as much distance.

This also forces people to walk through Downtown Disney before approaching the parks, something Universal does.

This would free up a desirable parcel of land right next to the theme park ticket plaza:

JjK0Sxg.jpg

It could be used for anything. New Downtown Disney square footage would be useful to make up for the loss. Or, perhaps, Disney is really trying to inflate it's room occupancy, and they'll build hotel #5 right over the theme park's entrance plaza in the vain of Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland. Unfortunately, Indy blocks the space from theme park access. Exciting to see Disney commit to even a vague year for these resort improvements. They're desperately needed.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Such a missed opportunity. Down Town Disney would benefit from the kind of backstory and place making Disney implemented in Disney Springs. This new hotel could have, and should have, anchored that kind of redesign to DTD. Instead we're getting the same utilitarian architecture that has stalled the eastern gateway project.
This project and it’s aesthetic would fit in just fine with the Disney Springs backstory.

I think it's clear Disney doesn't understand the potential of Downtown Disney. Rather than being a bland outdoor mall, it could very well be its own free theme park. Only, instead of rides, it would have movie theaters, live entertainment, broadway style shows, bowling, VR experiences, and so much more that those visiting would pay for rather than paying an entry fee. Alongside that, it would still have high end themed restaurants like Rainforest Cafe and ESPN Zone, as well as fun places to shop like the LEGO Store or Build-A-Bear. Then the entire area could be beautified with a 1960's aesthetic to unify all of the shops, restaurants, and attractions.
I don’t think many would call Rainforest Cafe or ESPN Zone “high end” establishments. The renderings do show structures below the hotel, allowing for more venues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom