New Frozen Show replacing Aladdin at DCA

D

Deleted member 107043

The Voyage of the Little Mermaid which has been opened since 1992 at Disney's Hollywood Studios is the only show stateside solely based on the Little Mermaid.

So it's been running even longer than Aladdin! Maybe they should take Aladdin over to DHS when it closes. The Tokyo show looks like an impressive production.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So it's been running even longer than Aladdin! Maybe they should take Aladdin over to DHS when it closes. The Tokyo show looks like an impressive production.
It could replace BatB. That's not a great show at all anymore...stayed well beyond it's prime.

That said, people adore it. I'm just not one of them.

D

Deleted member 107043

It could replace BatB.

That's still there? No wonder DHS is getting a big refresh. I enjoyed Aladdin and I've seen it maybe 3 or 4 times. Seems like a logical replacement for one of the shows in Florida that have been running forever.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
That's still there? No wonder DHS is getting a big refresh. I enjoyed Aladdin and I've seen it maybe 3 or 4 times. Seems like a logical replacement for one of the shows in Florida that have been running forever.
DHS is getting a big refresh because they are following the lead of Universal and dropping the movie studio theme for a theme park...Disney is trailing in this respect...by nearly a decade now. It's been ignored for too long with 20+ year old attractions with a few minor additions. It sorely needed it.

Aladdin still has a home (corny jokes and all) on DCL, and frankly, I think it belongs there.

TP2000

None of the theater facilities at DHS are anywhere close to being able to stage a big Broadway show like Aladdin. The DHS theater/attraction facilities are more like the outdoor Fantasyland Theater, or the indoor Disney Junior or Turtle Talk type venues.

Aladdin needs the massive proscenium and backstage facilities to be able to work, and Aladdin was custom designed for the lavish (and HUGE) Hyperion Theatre. Just like Frozen will be.

Disneyland Resort has an embarrassment of riches and luxury accommodations when it comes to its theater facilities. And there's nothing on WDW property that even comes close to the Hyperion Theatre.

GiveMeTheMusic

DHS' record with shows is nothing short of an embarrassment. Their Mermaid show, while enjoyable enough, is painfully of its era and has run way too long - just like their Indiana Jones stunt show and Beauty and the Beast show.

WDW guests LOVE their old timey shows though! Just mention replacing Wishes or IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth in a room full of WDW fans and listen to the belly aching. It's sad and gross.

brb1006

DHS' record with shows is nothing short of an embarrassment. Their Mermaid show, while enjoyable enough, is painfully of its era and has run way too long - just like their Indiana Jones stunt show and Beauty and the Beast show.

WDW guests LOVE their old timey shows though! Just mention replacing Wishes or IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth in a room full of WDW fans and listen to the belly aching. It's sad and gross.
I do understand why people will be upset when Reflection Of Earth finally ends. If a new Illuminatiosn show debuts someday, it will be hard to top Reflections Of Earth when it comes to the soundtrack. I really hope Wishes gets replaced with a new fireworks show possibly for the resorts 50th anniversary.

D

Deleted member 107043

Glad to hear it. I'm completely done with princesses BUT, I'm open to the idea of a well produced Broadway style production of Frozen at the Hyperion.

Phroobar

What Disney needs is a scary version of Frozen like Knott's did for haunt this year. When we walked through it last night you could definitely tell the evil snow queen was Elsa. Even marshmallow was in the maze.

Since the fantastic recent production of Hunchback never made it to Broadway. (Don't know why, critics and audiences loved the try outs at La Jolla and the Papermill) I would definitely prefer that to go in the Hyperion over Frozen.

PrincessJenn5795

Since the fantastic recent production of Hunchback never made it to Broadway. (Don't know why, critics and audiences loved the try outs at La Jolla and the Papermill) I would definitely prefer that to go in the Hyperion over Frozen.

That could be cool. It wasn't my favorite movie, but I love the music from it.

GiveMeTheMusic

Ultimately Disney Theatrical decided that Hunchback wouldn't fit their Broadway brand, so it didn't go further. Very, very sad.

GiveMeTheMusic

Well that sucks, the show would have been a hit. I originally thought they canned it in favor of Frozen but that is much more idiotic and arbitrary reason for not doing the transfer to Broadway.

Frozen on Broadway is a given, but it wasn't an either/or. The project also didn't have much support from high up - apparently Bob Iger is not a Quasi fan. Eisner was; he referred to it as one of his favorite Disney animated films.

Disney Theatrical struggles with more adult oriented titles. Aida was an outlier for them, despite its success, and Hunchback is definitely not for kids.

At least there will be a cast recording, and you never know what will happen in the future.

Curious Constance

Frozen on Broadway is a given, but it wasn't an either/or. The project also didn't have much support from high up - apparently Bob Iger is not a Quasi fan. Eisner was; he referred to it as one of his favorite Disney animated films.

Disney Theatrical struggles with more adult oriented titles. Aida was an outlier for them, despite its success, and Hunchback is definitely not for kids.

At least there will be a cast recording, and you never know what will happen in the future.

I hadn't ever seen Hunchback as a kid or an adult and me and my kids watched it together a year ago or so since it was on Netflix. I couldn't believe how innappropriate it was for kids. There is no way in heck that movie would ever be made today. My family isn't religious, so it was fairly easy to dismiss a lot of the nastiness coming from the villian, but some of the overtly sexual parts aren't even close to being kid friendly.

D

Deleted member 107043

Hunchback's greatness as an artful animated film is that it isn't a kid movie IMO. Sadly, animated films from Disney with more adult themes have never been as successful as the lighter fare.

I was watching Fantasia again recently on Netflix and couldn't help but notice the topless female characters and the sexual innuendo in The Pastoral Symphony segment. It would be interesting to hear critics' opinion on this if the film was produced with the exact same content and released today.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom