New Frozen Show replacing Aladdin at DCA

D

Deleted member 107043

I mean, woah.... :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-7930-1378828994-0.gif

PrincessJenn5795

I hadn't ever seen Hunchback as a kid or an adult and me and my kids watched it together a year ago or so since it was on Netflix. I couldn't believe how innappropriate it was for kids. There is no way in heck that movie would ever be made today. My family isn't religious, so it was fairly easy to dismiss a lot of the nastiness coming from the villian, but some of the overtly sexual parts aren't even close to being kid friendly.

Whoever had the idea that Hunchback of Notre Dame should be made into a kids movie was nuts. The book is incredibly dark, and there is nothing at all in it that suggests it is appropriate for kids. They drastically changed the story, and tried to lighten it up by adding cutesy gargoyles and making Captain Pheobus a hero (he really wasn't) with a funny horse, and taking out huge chunks of the original story, but they could not really change the fact that it was never meant as a kids' story. I didn't like the movie much because I didn't want my kids watching it and it was too far removed from the actual story for me. Disney obviously tones down a lot of the stories they tell, but they don't typically have to go to the same lengths as they did from Hunchback. Making fairy tales less dark is a lot different from completely rewriting the story.

I do love the music from Hunchback though. I am just not sure that the music is enough to make a stage production of the story worth seeing.

D

Deleted member 107043

It certainly wasn't the first time that Disney was accused of watering down a story in an animated film. That's kind of what Disney does.

PrincessJenn5795

It certainly wasn't the first time that Disney was accused of watering down a story in an animated film. That's kind of what Disney does.

I know, and I said as much. My point was that they had to completely rewrite Hunchback and still weren't able to make it into something parents are okay with their kids watching. When even Disney can't Disneyfy a story, it probably shouldn't be turned into a movie aimed at kids.

Exactly. See Little Mermaid.

Along with every other fairy tale they have told. The difference is they were able to tell the story and make it suitable for kids at the same time. They changed the ending, but most of the story elements were there, just toned down. There was so much taken out of the original Hunchback story, which is almost 1000 pages long BTW, and turned into something completely different and still not good for kids.

GiveMeTheMusic

I do love the music from Hunchback though. I am just not sure that the music is enough to make a stage production of the story worth seeing.

The stage production sticks much closer to the book, eliminating the cutesy gargoyles and letting the story get much darker than the film. That's one of the reasons why Disney Theatrical wasn't comfortable marketing it on Broadway. Its two engagements in San Diego and New Jersey over the past year omitted the Disney name and logo from the title.

PrincessJenn5795

The stage production sticks much closer to the book, eliminating the cutesy gargoyles and letting the story get much darker than the film. That's one of the reasons why Disney Theatrical wasn't comfortable marketing it on Broadway. Its two engagements in San Diego and New Jersey over the past year omitted the Disney name and logo from the title.

In that case, I would probably really like it.

D

Deleted member 107043

I know, and I said as much. My point was that they had to completely rewrite Hunchback and still weren't able to make it into something parents are okay with their kids watching. When even Disney can't Disneyfy a story, it probably shouldn't be turned into a movie aimed at kids.

I guess I disagree that it was a movie aimed specifically at kids. If anything the film didn't seem to know who its audience was, especially considering that it was rated PG. I know that the masses assume that animated movies are for children, but there is a wealth of animated films produced by the Studio that embraced ideas and themes that were slightly more mature. Fantasia and Hunchback are perfect examples.

PrincessJenn5795

I guess I disagree that it was a movie aimed specifically at kids. If anything the film didn't seem to know who its audience was, especially considering that it was rated PG. I know that the masses assume that animated movies are for children, but there is a wealth of animated films produced by the Studio that embraced ideas and themes that were slightly more mature. Fantasia and Hunchback are perfect examples.

I am fine with animated movies being aimed at adults, but Hunchback was released with the same type of marketing as their more kid oriented ones. They had sing-a-long videos and my first reader books and toys in kids' meals. Fantasia really was aimed more at adults. If they wanted Hunchback to be aimed at adults they should have left out some of the cutesy additions and stuck more to the original story.

Curious Constance

I am fine with animated movies being aimed at adults, but Hunchback was released with the same type of marketing as their more kid oriented ones. They had sing-a-long videos and my first reader books and toys in kids' meals. Fantasia really was aimed more at adults. If they wanted Hunchback to be aimed at adults they should have left out some of the cutesy additions and stuck more to the original story.
And it still shows up on "Kids" Netflix too. I could care less about languange or "Superhero" type violence, but that movie, with the villian literally saying he will either "have" Esméralda or she'll burn in hell? Ummmmmm, no.

D

Deleted member 107043

Maybe Netflix should consider placing the film elsewhere. Again, the movie is rated PG, so it's not like there isn't a warning.

PrincessJenn5795

Maybe Netflix should consider placing the film elsewhere. Again, the movie is rated PG, so it's not like there isn't a warning.

They should, but you can't really go by the PG status alone. There are a lot of movies that are PG that are that rating because a movie has "rude humor" or "mild action." Frozen was rated PG, and there is no song about a guy wanting to either "have" or kill the object of his sexual obession. It is almost impossible for movies to get G ratings anymore, but in the 90s they were a lot less dainty about what counts as G or PG. I am willing to bet if Hunchback came out today, it would be rated PG-13, and Netflix just categorizes by labels and ratings, so it will be in the kids section.

Phroobar

When they did the Hunchback show at Disneyland I believe they included that song in the show. It was pretty intense and creepy song but I think back then we saw it in the same light as Scar's song in the Lion King. It was just the villain's song. The Pirates of the Caribbean use to have men chasing women without food in their hands. There was the one fat pirate that talked about "hoisting his colors on the likes of that shy little one". Now he just mumbles about a map with Jack looking over his shoulder. Walt accepted the original fat pirate's lines but now it's bad.

Has the world always been this scary or are we just a lot more sensitive to it? Back in the 80's there was partial or brief nudity in PG movies and people would swear like sailors in them. Now you see that kind of thing in PG13. Makes me wonder what R was like in that time and frame of mind.

D

Deleted member 107043

Makes me wonder what R was like in that time and frame of mind.

Have you ever seen the full uncut version of the Exorcist? Even now I wonder how Warner Brothers had the guts to release that film in the early 70s. Even more surprising is that it won and Oscar for best adapted screenplay!

PrincessJenn5795

Have you ever seen the full uncut version of the Exorcist? Even now I wonder how Warner Brothers had the guts to release that film in the early 70s. Even more surprising is that it won and Oscar for best adapted screenplay!

I have, and I am fairly sure that and Children of the Corn are behind my phobia of creepy kids. That movie scared the crap out of me!

Phroobar

Actually never have seen the full uncut version of the Exorcist. It was scary enough on edited TV. Have you ever seen Fire and Ice (1983). It's rated PG but the amount of nudity in that thing should make it R.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Whatever show is going in there please no lip synching ! On a positive note, hopefully this means a new attraction is going into the Muppets theatre. Please don't bring back the old Muppets show! I'll take a Trackeless muppets dark ride though.

The use of tracks (pre-recorded music) is a delicate matter with the AGVA and AFM unions. The principle roles at Aladdin, Magical Map, and Fantasy Faire all sing live (unless there is an emergency sub). The trumpet at Magical Map and the Piano at Fantasy Faire are live. The orchestra and chorus at Map and Aladdin are tracks and the dancers lip synch. This is all negotiated and approved with the performer unions.

Back in the '70s there was a lot of back and forth on this at WDW. Before he created Voices of Liberty for Epcot, Derric Johnson had a Christian/patriotic group, the Re'Generation, that performed on MK's Castle Stage every February for President's Days. They were a track group of 10 singers with prerecorded orchestra and vocals that were mixed with their live voices. Over the five years they were there, they were all track one year, track mixed with WDW Band three years, and entirely live one year. A number of the a'capella arrangements used by Voices today after Derric's retirement date back to Re'Gen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom