New Disneyland Band performing infront of Sleeping Beauty Castle

flynnibus

Premium Member
What surprises me is it took two whole pages into this thread, discussing the overall aspect of changes to the group and show, for everyone to get totally fixated on a most trivial aspect of sunglasses to take over the whole initiative of the thread.

That's what happens when people use the tail to try to wag the dog :)

The ability to wear sunglasses was worked into the labor agreements by the unions on the grounds of health and safety. Some may find it 'stupid' -- but that's the premise and one that Disney caved on, with the exception of performers in most situations who must keep their eyes visible.

brb1006

Original Poster
Here's another video of the band featuring Mickey & Friends. I love the moment where the Dapper Dans invite to have the guests upclose.

TP2000

The ability to wear sunglasses was worked into the labor agreements by the unions on the grounds of health and safety. Some may find it 'stupid' -- but that's the premise and one that Disney caved on, with the exception of performers in most situations who must keep their eyes visible.

I don't think anyone here thinks it's "stupid" for a front-line CM to wear sunglasses while they work outdoors in the park. And if a union had a hand in that, it was obviously a change that happened decades ago based on photos. But the average Cal State Fullerton student working a churro cart is much different than a show performer or costumed musician or a parade dancer.

What I was saying, and what many agreed with, was that it was inappropriate for a costumed musician or performer in the park to wear sunglasses while they worked their set or performed their show. What was most interesting is that the old Disneyland Band were the only performers and musicians in the parks who got away with wearing sunglasses as they performed. No other band, no other performer or actor, no other musicians got to wear sunglasses. Only the old Disneyland Band. And it was just another example of how out of it they appeared.

The new Disneyland Band isn't wearing sunglasses, just like every other band and musical act in the park. And it's just one example of how it makes them look far more engaging and peppy and mentally with it. Bravo TDA!

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

I personally don't think sunglasses are an issue at all. It doesn't break the theme anymore than the band playing non-period music or performing in a style that wasn't around at the time.

I think the new band is a big improvement over the old one and the choice of eyewear has nothing to do with it.

KeithVH

<snip> It doesn't break the theme anymore than the band playing non-period music or performing in a style that wasn't around at the time. <snip>

My emphasis - I think that is the real issue here. Either a show is themed to the area of the park where it occurs or a conscious choice is made to not do that for some reason(s) we may not know. If TDA or TDO decide such and theming requirements become no different than the pirate code, then why bother with theming at all.

Vegas Disney Fan

Funny how The Magic Kingdom's Philharmonic never had these issues. :)

MK Band > DL Band.
I'm not sure I'd say one is better than the other since they all are made up of amazing musicians playing music we all love, it's more about personal preference. The old Disneyland Band was 60 years old and very formal, Main St Philharmonic debuted in 2000 and was much more lively and included simple choreography, the new Disneyland band is even more lively and includes even more detailed choreography. They all represent the times they were put together. Which one is the best completely depends on what style you prefer.

It's really interesting to watch a video of the old DL band, then the MSP, and finally the new DL band. The energy level is noticeably higher with each band.

Last edited:

brb1006

Original Poster
I wish the WDW Band would allow some characters to dance along with the music. Especially after seeing videos of the Mad Hatter,Alice, or Chip N Dale do a fun performance in front of the guests in the main entrance of Disneyland.

corona79

That is the point[less].
The characters and fun unique to the Disneyland entrance show - like the Synchronized Strollers and the Dancing Daddies - are gone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom