New Disneyland Band performing infront of Sleeping Beauty Castle

corona79

Don't bother.
What genius decided that Disneyland needed 2 college bands?
Taking away the entrance show and replacing it with nothing was a bonus.

TP2000

Either that's a whole new band, or someone put something in the Geritol jar for the regular Disneyland Band.

Oh, wait, they are fresh young smiling faces with pep and vigor, including actual women and people of color, so that has to be an all new band. :cool:

This is a dramatic improvement over the old band and their geriatric arrangements. Bravo TDA! You made the right call here.

TP2000

The All-American College Band only performs for 8 weeks every summer, and does daily sets in both parks. This band will perform 52 weeks per year and be exclusive to Disneyland. This is a huge improvement over what was there before!

Dare I say it, they are now just as good as the Tokyo Disneyland Band!

Californian Elitist

Don't bother.
Taking away the entrance show and replacing it with nothing was a bonus.

There aren't two college bands.

Anyways, I like the new band. I could hear them from across the park yesterday, performing music from different attractions. It was neat.

TP2000

Castle show...

You know what you don't see with this new Disneyland Band? Old guys standing around with blank looks wearing dark sunglasses.

That always bugged me about the old Disneyland Band, they would shuffle in and stand there and plod through their arrangement with dark sunglasses on so you couldn't see their eyes. Not that they had much emotion to their performance, but hiding behind the dark sunglasses just kind of proved to me that these guys were on auto-pilot towards retirement. Don't make eye contact, just stand there and play the song and shuffle off to our next break.

The old Disneyland Band from June, 2015, with 90% of band members wearing dark sunglasses:
DSC_4635-L.jpg

DSC_4647-L.jpg

But with the new band members, who are playing under the same sun as the old band did, none of the new band members are wearing dark shades and their full faces are revealed.
DSC_2347-L.jpg

And when you reveal your eyes, you can convey emotions to your human audience. You can actually connect with people as a performer and put on a real show!
DSC_2427-L.jpg

I'll say it again... Bravo TDA! This was definitely the right move! It was an overdue change, but better late than never.

Last edited:

corona79

Wow, so the new band members will get permanent eye damage from UV radiation - what a refreshing change!
The reality is that any uniformed visitor, looking for the "college band", could see the "Disneyland band" and assume - with good reason - that it was actually the former.
Other than the second set, no one has provided a shred of evidence that the other sets differ from each other in any significant way.
Goodbye Dancing Daddies. Goodbye Synchronized Strollers. Goodbye Alice, Mad Hatter and all the other face characters that made the entrance show so enjoyable.
Hello to the same bunch of kids hopping around to the same songs over and over, set to set, day to day.

TP2000

Well said! Don't forget Disney doesn't have to pay these new kids as much as they were paying the old timers, so I'm sure the suits are loving that.
The old timers were reassigned to other bands around the park. They are still on the payroll. But the payroll grew with all the new band members.

The suits are spending more to make this long overdue change.

Californian Elitist

Wow, so the new band members will get permanent eye damage from UV radiation - what a refreshing change!
The reality is that any uniformed visitor, looking for the "college band", could see the "Disneyland band" and assume - with good reason - that it was actually the former.
Other than the second set, no one has provided a shred of evidence that the other sets differ from each other in any significant way.
Goodbye Dancing Daddies. Goodbye Synchronized Strollers. Goodbye Alice, Mad Hatter and all the other face characters that made the entrance show so enjoyable.
Hello to the same bunch of kids hopping around to the same songs over and over, set to set, day to day.

How do you know the smaller acts are going away? Disney never announced they were. The new band has been performing for a whopping two days, today will be the third... Why jump to conclusions so soon?

And the eye damage/UV comment is ludicrous.

corona79

a comment at another site:

From Walt Disney's Disneyland:

"You board Disneyland's 'time machine' the moment you walk onto old Main Street, U.S.A. The contrast to the hustle and bustle of our modern world and its streamlined modes of transportation is sharp and penetrating. Suddenly, the entire mood changes, and the years roll backward -- back to 'anywhere in America,' circa 1900. And your pace slows to match the leisurely clop-clop of the horse-drawn surrey, the um-pa-pa of a band concert in Town Square,the chug-chug of a horseless carriage."

KeithVH

I'm sure they're fine musicians - 90% of which are proly DCI wannabes who have aged out of the Corps and can't move on with their lives. If Main Street is supposed to be "high energy", then I can't wait to see how they re-theme the rest of the area. Will they replace the carriages and buses with new electric-wired modern buses? Do they turn the shops into a modern mall?

If Tomorrowland theming is so bad, how is this any different?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom