New Disneyland Band performing infront of Sleeping Beauty Castle

GiveMeTheMusic

I'm wondering when @TP2000 is going to apologize for lying. Who first whined about band members wearing "dark sunglasses"? Who then falsely claimed it was brought up by those who aren't fans of the Year-Round Disneyland College Band?
[ignored]

So, let's see what some other observers had to say:

"I had to glance at my pocket schedule to make sure it wasn't the College Band."

"they are essentially the College Band with slightly different tunes and costumes"

"Just no. For the love of all things Disney, they need to go away quickly like Light Magic. I watched them several times today and was totally appalled.
They just don't fit in with the theme of Main Street. Would be more appropriate for a Six Flags park.
Most people within earshot of me were even commenting that they must be a high school or college band."

Yeah, @TP2000! Get in here and apologize!

TP2000

In all fairness, it's not completely unheard of for a marching band at Disneyland to wear sunglasses while simultaneously engaging and entertaining the guests:

Ha! Love it! The USC Marching Band is truly epic. But of course you had to bring them into this. My neighborhood is full of USC alums and every fall the flags go up and at every BBQ and cocktail party I have to smile bravely through USC chatter and rousing renditions of the SC fight song. It can be trying. :rolleyes:

The old band seemed like a group that had been put out to pasture. I'm glad that they've finally breathed new life into the group, while also increasing the presence of other musical acts throughout the park. A very good move in my book!

Exactly. This was a positive change that should have been made for the 50th, but better late than never.

corona79

Whoops!
[one guess as to where and when this was taken]
30sauk8.jpg

FerretAfros

Ha! Love it! The USC Marching Band is truly epic. But of course you had to bring them into this. My neighborhood is full of USC alums and every fall the flags go up and at every BBQ and cocktail party I have to smile bravely through USC chatter and rousing renditions of the SC fight song. It can be trying. :rolleyes:
Oh, of course I had to! I'm performing in the video (though I was on the other side of Town Square). The USC Band loves Disneyland, and Disneyland seems to like us pretty well in return. We bring in our own crowds into the park, and also do a pretty good job of getting the other guests to stop and watch too. In addition to the Rose Bowl-related appearances that are a requirement of the game's festivities, we've done several other appearances in recent years, including appearing in the televised Christmas parade in 2009

Not to mention, DL's original entertainment director was a former USC drum major, the former director of the All American College Band has been USC's band director for 45 years, the head of DL's entertainment department's son was in the band for a few of the years I was there (and may still be?), so it's good to have friends in high places ;)

Of course, that just means that the DL audience is familiar with a band that doesn't look like they're about to fall asleep while they play, which raises the stakes for the in-house groups

TP2000

Oh, of course I had to! I'm performing in the video (though I was on the other side of Town Square). The USC Band loves Disneyland, and Disneyland seems to like us pretty well in return.

Oh my gosh! I didn't know you were in the USC Marching Band. You and I have chatted on other forums before, so I'm glad to see you here and learn that about you. How funny! I live in the little suburb of Villa Park, which is absolutely chock full of USC alums.

So, since you are a marching band member yourself, it's good to know you were seeing what so many of us non-musicians were also seeing with the old Disneyland Band. They just looked bored to tears and shuffling towards retirement, or maybe just lunch.

The old band were obviously good musicians, as their performances were always pitch perfect, but the showmanship and the energy had unfortunately vanished for most of those men about two decades ago.

TP2000

Cough hack cough cough CC @TP2000

Oh, hi.

The Side Street Strutters usually perform on the dining patio of the French Market. The Disneyland Band used to perform one set per day on the bow of the Mark Twain, at 11:00 A.M., during busy tourist seasons only.

It's very early into this new schedule, and it could change, but it appears the Side Street Strutters have replaced the Disneyland Band for the 11:00 A.M. departure of the Mark Twain, before they head up to the French Market for their regular sets through the rest of the day. While the Disneyland Band now performs a mid-day show in front of the Golden Horseshoe.

TP2000

Yet is how/why the union got Disney to change the dress code to allow Cms to wear sunglasses on stage....
That's not the first time I've heard that. And if that was a union-generated change, it seems to be for the best as I don't think anyone would have a problem with a ride operator or outdoor vendor or some front-line CM outdoors for 8 hours not wearing sunglasses in the bright SoCal sun. Although, it seems to have been a change that is many decades old at this point, and is subject to abuse as this photo of 1980's Jungle Cruise Skippers shows... :cool:
Jungle+Crew+mid+80s+-+Jimm+and+Dougg.jpg

Hey 1984 Jungle Cruise guys, Katherine Hepburn called and she wants all her floppy sunhats back.
x240-xjU.jpg

That said, and I think Ms. Hepburn would agree with me, the issue here is performers wearing sunglasses when they perform their shows in the park.

The old Disneyland Band was the only group that somehow got to wear dark sunglasses as they performed their sets for the third or fourth decade of their career. No other musician or performer or dancer or singer wears sunglasses while they perform their show. The sunglasses were just one part of the tired look and feel of the old Disneyland Band.

They were old guys going through the motions under umbrellas and wearing brimmed caps that shielded the sun, but they didn't even want to look at you when they played Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah for the 18,652nd time.

June, 2015: Facing due north, sitting under umbrellas, wearing brimmed caps, and still 90% of the band has dark sunglasses on. Hey boys, cheer up, it can't be that bad!
CHkMEr6UkAAvCz1.jpg

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

It's funny that you mention brims, @TP2000 ... they are really magical creations that can keep the sun out of people's eyes even without sunglasses! Notice that none of the new performers has the sun in their eyes, thanks to these wondrous devices!

DSC_2347-L.jpg
\
DSC_2427-L.jpg

Is it appropriate for a turn-of-the-century mid-America small town? I know everyone looks very serious in those old pictures and everything was sepia-toned, but they were real live people in full color who liked to have fun. It wasn't all sedate people standing around, doing everything prim and proper. They could indeed get down, possibly even get bi-zay on a good day.

Sage of Time

Oh, hi.

The Side Street Strutters usually perform on the dining patio of the French Market. The Disneyland Band used to perform one set per day on the bow of the Mark Twain, at 11:00 A.M., during busy tourist seasons only.

It's very early into this new schedule, and it could change, but it appears the Side Street Strutters have replaced the Disneyland Band for the 11:00 A.M. departure of the Mark Twain, before they head up to the French Market for their regular sets through the rest of the day. While the Disneyland Band now performs a mid-day show in front of the Golden Horseshoe.
Wonderful! Thanks so much for the response. SO eager to see all of this... but especially music on the Twain. :)

FerretAfros

It's funny that you mention brims, @TP2000 ... they are really magical creations that can keep the sun out of people's eyes even without sunglasses! Notice that none of the new performers has the sun in their eyes, thanks to these wondrous devices!

DSC_2347-L.jpg
\
DSC_2427-L.jpg

Is it appropriate for a turn-of-the-century mid-America small town? I know everyone looks very serious in those old pictures and everything was sepia-toned, but they were real live people in full color who liked to have fun. It wasn't all sedate people standing around, doing everything prim and proper. They could indeed get down, possibly even get bi-zay on a good day.
Having worn similar shako hats, the brims do absolutely nothing to keep the sun out of your eyes. The performers in these photos have their faces shaded because they're facing north (Main Street Station in the background), which means that the sun is in the audience's eyes (something that Disney is typically pretty good about avoiding)

That said, there's really no reason that the performers need to be able to see. Their choreography and drill isn't especially complicated, and they should be able to do the whole performance blindfolded. I've marched much more complex shows facing into the sun around sunset, without sunglasses, and we managed just fine

The only reason I can think that the old band might need to see is to read their music. That said, do they really need music to play Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah 18,652nd time? Yes, they occasionally played some music that was more complex than that for their seated concerts, but their repertoire was always rather limited. Given that all the other musical acts manage to memorize their stuff (including the All American College Band that only exists for 8 measly weeks, and all the holiday music that's performed for a limited period), I imagine that the old timers of the old Disneyland Band could have done just fine. Even most high school bands require musicians to memorize the halftime show music and a handful of school songs. The new band seems to have memorized their music already, and they've only just popped into existence...

But what always bothered me most about the sunglasses was that they weren't consistent; some people wore them while others didn't. They wore uniforms, so everything should be uniform. Either everybody wears sunglasses (like the USC Band, which has rules for approved styles) or nobody does (like my high school, where even Transitions lenses were discouraged). What they did just looked sloppy.

TP2000

But what always bothered me most about the sunglasses was that they weren't consistent; some people wore them while others didn't. They wore uniforms, so everything should be uniform. Either everybody wears sunglasses (like the USC Band, which has rules for approved styles) or nobody does (like my high school, where even Transitions lenses were discouraged). What they did just looked sloppy.

Bingo!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom